PDA

View Full Version : Level 75 Point Distribution.

zzjoshzz
03-08-2013, 09:28 PM
This is how I have my points distributed right now I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas on different skill point distributions.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk 2

mysticmagicc
03-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Rev should be a 9

zzjoshzz
03-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Rev should be a 9

K try 9 ms too

jcoultet
03-24-2013, 07:16 AM
It depends on your play style and what set your using so maybe tell us more info. I'm guessing from that layout your using a strength set.

zzjoshzz
03-24-2013, 01:18 PM
It depends on your play style and what set your using so maybe tell us more info. I'm guessing from that layout your using a strength set.

Actually I'm full int so I specced for max damage but I die very quickly so I was wondering if someone could give a few pointers on how to be more survivable

jcoultet
03-24-2013, 01:38 PM
The problem why you die very easily is because the shield being 1 I personally have a lot on it because of the Armour it gives I think lower the ice storm and heal and put more onto shield if you need more help then feel free to add me and I can try and help Although there is only so much a int mage can last for

razerfingers
03-24-2013, 02:11 PM
The debuffs afre very useful you might want to get rid of ice storm completely but thats my observation. If you can get in quick enough to land the dubuffs then get out and kite. Kinda tricky i would supose with endgame. But like of a bear pulls you you can hit debuffs as you go buy you know? But i also play 70 pvp with angelic and i do decent. So i could be wrong haha

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

zzjoshzz
03-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the responses, just wondering what's the best set I could get for 1.15m int or str?

Battlegrinder
03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
I would suggest dropping either Ice Storm or Frostbite, take some points out of Drain Life, and then put the points you've collected into Nightmare and Weakness. Try to put a few more ranks into Mana Shield as well.

jcoultet
03-26-2013, 02:33 AM
It depends on your play style

Beanipea
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
I still have to do a respec, but I have lowest number of skill points in rev and ice storm. As far as I know, putting points in ice storm doesn't increase damage all that much, it just increases the time enemies stay frozen. But since I usually use it in combination with fire storm for a combo, that doesn't really matter all that much.

And I'm thinking about taking points away from mana shield. Why is everyone so happy with it? I rarely use it, only when I'm in a jam and then I still run out of mana too fast, so I will start taking damage and die in a blink of an eye. And what's worse: I can't heal myself anymore cause I'm out of mana. -.-
I prefer to postpone using mana shield for as long as possible and instead I spam heal and drain.

Edit: Oh and I have a sand goddess set. You should be able to get one of those for around 1.2m.

Battlegrinder
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
And I'm thinking about taking points away from mana shield. Why is everyone so happy with it? I rarely use it, only when I'm in a jam and then I still run out of mana too fast, so I will start taking damage and die in a blink of an eye. And what's worse: I can't heal myself anymore cause I'm out of mana. -.-
I prefer to postpone using mana shield for as long as possible and instead I spam heal and drain.

The main reason people like Mana Shield is because it can help you survive damage. On most Mages, Mana regens much faster than Hp, so using mana shield lets you transfer the damage to something that will come back quickly (and you won't take as much damage using mana shield compared to letting attacks do HP damage, because Shield gives you a buff to armor). Mana shield is a lot less useful for Battle Mages or War Mages or whatever we're called STR mages these days, but for a pure INT mage like you it can be useful. I wouldn't recommend maxing it out, because a lot of the debuffs you don't currently have ranks in are more useful, but you may benefit from putting a few more points into it.

Also, can you post an updated picture of your skill build so we can see what you've respec'd into? I'm having trouble figuring it out just from the current pic and what you've said in posts.

Beanipea
03-26-2013, 10:02 AM
The main reason people like Mana Shield is because it can help you survive damage. On most Mages, Mana regens much faster than Hp, so using mana shield lets you transfer the damage to something that will come back quickly (and you won't take as much damage using mana shield compared to letting attacks do HP damage, because Shield gives you a buff to armor). Mana shield is a lot less useful for Battle Mages or War Mages or whatever we're called STR mages these days, but for a pure INT mage like you it can be useful. I wouldn't recommend maxing it out, because a lot of the debuffs you don't currently have ranks in are more useful, but you may benefit from putting a few more points into it.

Also, can you post an updated picture of your skill build so we can see what you've respec'd into? I'm having trouble figuring it out just from the current pic and what you've said in posts.

I didn't start the original topic btw. And I'm still trying to figure out my respec. (I located my skill points back when 7 was max, so a respec is needed I guess.)

I know that the regen on mana is faster, but without mana I can't heal and with heal maxed out you easily recover half of your hp when using it. Plus it only takes 3 seconds to recharge.

All I'm saying is that I personally don't use mana shield all that much, because when I feel like it's needed, it's usually already too late. (Meaning I have attracted a mob or a boss that will be able to clear out both my mana and hp within seconds.)

Beanipea
03-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Ok, mana shield has helped me on occasion (to survive) by activating it, running away and spamming mana pots. But then I'd be too busy to perform any actual attacks.

I guess it can come in handy and buy you a little more time if you have an attentive bear in your party that will help you out once you do get in a tight spot. But otherwise you're just delaying the inevitable imo. (Even if you do get out alive, you won't have killed any of them and you will still have to go back and face em.)

Beanipea
03-26-2013, 10:21 AM

This is what I have atm. Still wondering how to spend the last 9 points. Rev will stay at 1. Drain life will get a couple more.

Still not sure if I will put any points in mana shield this time. How wonderful it might be, if you know you will rarely use it, it's pretty much worthless.

As for maxing out heal. Anyone know the stats when putting 9 points into it? Because going from 7 to 8 seems to be giving more minimum hp (from 172 to 182), but less maximum hp (from 342 to 332). Wth?

And I'm still in doubt whether to go for frost bite or ice storm. Like I said, when putting points in ice storm, the minimum damage will stay the same, only the maximum damage will increase a little. (Plus the amount of time the enemy stays frozen, but when you use it in a combo, that doesn't really matter.) On the other hand ice storm is AOE and frost bite only affects a single target.

Battlegrinder
03-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Sorry for the confusion, I thought you were the original poster.

According to the class guide, both min and max health given continue to rise as you put more point into heal. Maybe the next rank preview isn't tracking the boost your INT points will give you, but the the current rank is.

As for Ice Storm vs Frostbite, I'd go with Storm. Mage doesn't really have a use for single target spells, and if for some reason you do need to have the ability to freeze a single designated target, I'm pretty sure you can use an Ice wand for that (I play STR mage and am only now managing to put enough point into INT to use mage gear, so I'm not certain about that). The damage on the Ice Storm and Frostbite doesn't really matter, since Lightning and Firestorm are going to be your main damage dealers in any case. Finally, the time frozen doesn't matter if you only use Ice Storm as part of a combo, but I've found Ice Storm to be invaluable when used as a stun attack, just freezing the enemies and letting you maneuver, heal up, escape, ect.

zzjoshzz
03-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Ty for all the replies I put 9 in ms and 9 in nightmare I find in pvp they're both kinda useless unless ure fighting another mage

And ill post my new skill distribution when I get home school wifi won't let me play pl:(

jcoultet
03-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Looks like you guys need more help

Ty for all the replies I put 9 in ms and 9 in nightmare I find in pvp they're both kinda useless unless ure fighting another mage

And ill post my new skill distribution when I get home school wifi won't let me play pl:(
I would personally reccomend not having nightmare on a 9 I personally don't use it. And the mana shield is extremely important the key is to time your shield my mage is designed to kill and nuke because of the 9 ms it allows me to get relatively close to my opponents and use some of the most important skills such as lighting and fire wiping out big groups. However if you shield early then its gonna be useless as you will run out of mana in no time. Also this cap has huge amounts of damage so if your a squishy int mage then its hard to get close into that range to debuff before dieing

This is what I have atm. Still wondering how to spend the last 9 points. Rev will stay at 1. Drain life will get a couple more.

Still not sure if I will put any points in mana shield this time. How wonderful it might be, if you know you will rarely use it, it's pretty much worthless.

As for maxing out heal. Anyone know the stats when putting 9 points into it? Because going from 7 to 8 seems to be giving more minimum hp (from 172 to 182), but less maximum hp (from 342 to 332). Wth?

And I'm still in doubt whether to go for frost bite or ice storm. Like I said, when putting points in ice storm, the minimum damage will stay the same, only the maximum damage will increase a little. (Plus the amount of time the enemy stays frozen, but when you use it in a combo, that doesn't really matter.) On the other hand ice storm is AOE and frost bite only affects a single target.
Frostbite is definitely better than ice storm I actually think the single target can be useful. Many people commonly say ice storm is the worst damage spell . In pve when fighting bosses and mobs I find mana shield is very useful although it may seem useful its a good way of reviving your team without dieing because it gives you that extra few seconds. Also I would put less on debuffs and more on drain as it is one of the best spells but like I said it depends on your playstyle.
I hope it helps

Beanipea
03-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Finally, the time frozen doesn't matter if you only use Ice Storm as part of a combo, but I've found Ice Storm to be invaluable when used as a stun attack, just freezing the enemies and letting you maneuver, heal up, escape, ect.

Never retreat, never surrender!!!

I'm very much leaning towards... Maxing out heal and drain life and leaving the rest as it is. I know frostbite is stronger, but just as mana shield, I use it less often than my other spells. I just love blasting away mobs. You know what they say... Offense is the best defense. (When you have a good tank to hide behind. :wink:) :boxing:

But yeah, it all depends on the way you play. Just for the record: I don't pvp. With this build I can solo BSM mobs, but not the bosses. I really need a tank for that. Which is fine, because I prefer to run with a (good) party anyway. Luv ma bears. <3

Battlegrinder
03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Never retreat, never surrender!!!

I'm very much leaning towards... Maxing out heal and drain life and leaving the rest as it is. I know frostbite is stronger, but just as mana shield, I use it less often than my other spells. I just love blasting away mobs. You know what they say... Offense is the best defense. (When you have a good tank to hide behind. :wink:) :boxing:

But yeah, it all depends on the way you play. Just for the record: I don't pvp. With this build I can solo BSM mobs, but not the bosses. I really need a tank for that. Which is fine, because I prefer to run with a (good) party anyway. Luv ma bears. <3

maxing out Heal is definitely a good idea. I'm not too sure about Life Drain. I used it a while ago when I was working my way through Frozen Nightmare, but I wasn't that impressed. I've since heard that it gets better if you put more points into it, but I'm not sure I want to give up one of my other skills to use it. What has your experience with Life Drain been like? It it worth using?

Also, what did you mean by "Never retreat, never surrender"?

Beanipea
03-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Also, what did you mean by "Never retreat, never surrender"?

That I'm too lazy to run away. :o Nah, I basically stay in the background when battling a boss that's tough on mages.

maxing out Heal is definitely a good idea. I'm not too sure about Life Drain. I used it a while ago when I was working my way through Frozen Nightmare, but I wasn't that impressed. I've since heard that it gets better if you put more points into it, but I'm not sure I want to give up one of my other skills to use it. What has your experience with Life Drain been like? It it worth using?

I love drain life. It heals and at the same times take hp from your opponent. But you have to be careful with the timing. It has a little delay (one of the best things about it imo), so if you use it on an opponent with low health, chances are you will kill him before you're able to steal hp from him. On the other hand, if you already know you'll be taking damage, you can already cast it, take damage and heal almost instantly (and at the same time deal damage yourself). I use it a lot more than mana shield. Between the 3 seconds for heal respawn and drain life, you can recover an awful lot of hp. :) (Something you won't be able to do when all damage gets deducted from mana instead of hp.)

Wendellism
03-27-2013, 12:11 AM
So... you're a Pure INT Mage?

It's alright if you die, you are a glass cannon; you are born squishy in the first place.

I too tried out a Pure Int Mage, and it was lot's of fun. You simply have to know your 'DPS & Aggro' limit, and retreat accordingly.

Here are the skills which I would add if ever I respeced to a Pure Int Mage again;

Frostbite - 9
Ice Storm - 1
Now you might say "Hell no! Mage is supposed to deal damage to a WHOLE BUNCH of mobs, not to aim at one, your build sucks !1!!111" But seriously, let me explain. Ice Storm might not hit all enemies in it's range depending on your hit points or the mob's dodge, and it's range compared to your other AoE Skills are smaller in comparison. Frostbite on the other hand allows you to freeze the enemy on the spot instead of a debuff Ice Storm gives, allowing you to kite effectively without dying as often. Although, you should just add 1 level of Ice Storm to make others happy about you being a competent DPSer.

Lightning - 9
Firestorm - 9
Those 2 skills are your bread and butter for gaining kills in PvE, never venture out into a dungeon without them.

Heal - 9
Drain Life - 1/9
Those 2 skills are for your own survival, Drain Life has a fairly long cooldown of 12 seconds, while Heal is spammable and could be utilized for anything including escaping.

Blessings of Vitality & Might - 9
Rely on those 2 skills before you engage the enemies. Bonus points when you use those buffs near your party.

Mana Shield - 1/9
Depending on how offensive or supportive you play as a Mage, this skill is nonetheless vital.
For players that are adamant that they will not die(eg myself), add 1 point in Mana shield for escaping purposes only.
For players that are new or just too afraid to die, add 9 point in Mana shield for tanking & escaping purposes only.

You should see why Mana Shield is never played offensively, Mana Shield to a Nuker Mage is the lifeline of a Mage.

Weakness - 1/5/9
Nightmare - 1/5/9

Depending on how you would like your kills served, the following might be useful to you;

What's da point of Weeknuss when u can DEAL MOAR DPS by Maxing Nightmare? U could allow ur partay to deal MOAR Damage to end da run quick n easy! RED>BLU WEEKBOYZ! Weakness - 1, Nightmare - 9.

Technically, a good balance between the two debuffs wouldn't hurt that much, you'll get the best of both worlds and your allies won't be angry about your debuffs anyways. Weakness - 5, Nightmare - 5.

I know you would like to survive, but you should also think about your allies my son, max out Weakness and they'll have a hard time dealing with your allies. Don't listen to the Red Guy, he's just trying to blow up your life. Weakness - 9, Nightmare - 1.

So those 3 are basically what you could do to maximize your last 10 points in combat.

Now for some TIPS!

When possible, if you know you are dealing too much DPS compared to your teammates, try not to use your AoE skills, you will only draw more aggro to yourself, which ends in a higher chance of you dead on the hot/cold hard ground.

As soon as you see yourself taking even a single hit, don't hesitate to activate Mana shield and fleeing backwards from the fight. That way, you would live on to fight another day.

NEVER activate Mana Shield before the battle in like 1-2 seconds.

Heal and Spam Heal. Unless you find yourself in a boss battle which you require to time your Heals in order for you yourself to survive, ALWAYS SPAM HEAL!

Use Drain Life as a Lifesaver, NOT AS A NUKE. Countless folks I have seen in runs have died because they didn't managed to time their Drain Life well enough to survive.

Press revive the instant you hear a DEATH SCREAM. The faster you revive a party member or two, the faster the map will be cleared, and not result in a wipe.

Debuff your enemies in a group, NOT SPAM THE DEBUFFS!

If you are the only person in a game that can heal or revive, PLAY DEFENSIVELY and try not to DIE!

Thanks for reading.
=)

zzjoshzz
03-27-2013, 08:22 AM
This is similar to my build right now except I have it specced so its better for.pvp , next I think I need gear I was thinking of a tiki goodess sand set should I get or save for 71sharp

GymClassHeroe
06-04-2013, 04:49 AM
Guys can you put 9 on skills?I currently got most of them at 7 :/