PDA

View Full Version : Linux gives me the power I need to crush those who oppose me

maillard
03-12-2013, 12:04 AM
For those people like me who use Linux on their desktop, I wanted to post a guide of what I did to get Arcane Legends working in Chrome and using an XBox wired controller instead of the keyboard.

1) I have two video chips in my laptop (NVIDIA & Intel). The Intel chip is disabled. You may only have one but I am using the proprietary NVIDIA driver. I am not going to cover getting this driver working but if you need help you can PM me. There is an open source NVIDIA driver but I haven't tested it so it may work. Anyways, the first thing you need to check is if OpenGL is working by running:

glxinfo | less

You should see something like:

name of display: :0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4

2) If not already installed, you need to install Chrome. The version I am using
is 25.0.1364.84 beta.

3) Then launch Chrome with:

google-chrome --disable-gpu-sandbox --ignore-gpu-blacklist

4) With Chrome running, go to the URL chrome://gpu/ and what you should see is:

WebGL: Hardware accelerated

If you don't see this then you'll get an error "WebGL is not supported."

5) If you go this far you are good to go and can run Arcane Legends from Chrome
by going to http://account.spacetimestudios.com/arcanelegends/

So the keyboard is okay but is kind of wonky. However I have gotten use to it but can be annoying because I have had to disable some keys when playing Arcane Legends like the special forward/back browser keys and the F1 key. Because when I am spamming the keyboard sometimes I press something else by accident. You can use xmodmap to disable keys or remap them in Linux.

But I found a Xbox controller driver project so I could use a wired Xbox controller with Arcane Legends.

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/

No binary for my distribution (Fedora) so I compiled it from source. Download the source and check the README in the tarball for complication instructions. Once the driver is compiled and installed this is what I had to do:

1) Plug in Xbox controller to USB port
2) rmmod xpad
3) modprobe joydev
4) chmod a+rw /dev/uinput
5) xboxdrv --trigger-as-button=true --dpad-as-button --ui-buttonmap "dl=KEY_LEFT,dr=KEY_RIGHT,du=KEY_UP,dd=KEY_DOWN,a=K EY_1,b=KEY_2,x=KEY_3,y=KEY_4,rt=KEY_SPACE,rb=KEY_5 ,lt=KEY_Q,lb=KEY_E"

This is the button/trigger mapping I am using. The dpad is sending the arrow keys to move around, the right trigger is to press the spacebar (auto attack) and the a,b,x,y buttons for skills.

Also there is scripting by using the button event handler to send a macro when you press a button. I have played around with this and you can read more about it by reading the man page 'man xboxdrv'.

And lastly, watch this video and use Linux and you too can be a super villain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LsxmQV8AXk

Wowsome
03-12-2013, 01:15 AM
so coooool!

scorpio92
03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Negative result to me! Damn! :(

Jexetta
02-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the post, it works wonderfully.

xXz21
02-06-2014, 08:55 PM
very good guide.

keikali
02-07-2014, 08:32 AM
This worked for me on my laptop!

Question, is there anyway to load Chrome with the GPU settings without typing that each time in terminal? I tried loading Chrome then AL and it wouldn't work unless I had that command line in terminal.

xXz21
02-07-2014, 03:14 PM
This worked for me on my laptop!

Question, is there anyway to load Chrome with the GPU settings without typing that each time in terminal? I tried loading Chrome then AL and it wouldn't work unless I had that command line in terminal.

maybe ur chrome version is updating every time u close it? and replace it?

u should download a non-upgradable version of chrome i have the 29 version without updates.

Bless
02-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Also there is scripting by using the button event handler to send a macro when you press a button. I have played around with this and you can read more about it by reading the man page 'man xboxdrv'.

Scripting and macros aren't allowed in STG games.

keikali
02-07-2014, 03:24 PM
maybe ur chrome version is updating every time u close it? and replace it?

u should download a non-upgradable version of chrome i have the 29 version without updates.

Doubt it. I just reinstalled the latest Chrome version yesterday and I had no issues when I typed that in terminal, but when I tried launching it as normal it wouldn't run it because of some graphic driver etc.

xXz21
02-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Doubt it. I just reinstalled the latest Chrome version yesterday and I had no issues when I typed that in terminal, but when I tried launching it as normal it wouldn't run it because of some graphic driver etc.

u need install an old chrome version without updates. bcus if u change somethin chrome updates automatic and remove the change u do before..