PDA

View Full Version : the problem with rhinos

grrims
03-15-2013, 09:51 AM
ive tried using rhino for pvp and it kinda sucks, i think its because it has so little dmg and only has 400 health which is the same amount as mage. Mages have their mana shield and they do a lot of dmg, instead of ms rhinos have a lot of defensive buffs, but since they cant do very much dmg, they die before they can kill. If they were made a bit more like the mage, i think theyd be better pvpers.

Kixxler
03-15-2013, 10:04 AM
I still can't find a 20 rhino build...

Roberto077
03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
ive tried using rhino for pvp and it kinda sucks, i think its because it has so little dmg and only has 400 health which is the same amount as mage. Mages have their mana shield and they do a lot of dmg, instead of ms rhinos have a lot of defensive buffs, but since they cant do very much dmg, they die before they can kill. If they were made a bit more like the mage, i think theyd be better pvpers.

The Rhino is a support class rather than a damage class. The Rhino is supposed buff allies then tank enemies so your allies can kill easier. Just because the class isn't good at killing doesn't mean it's bad in general. Play the class correctly and your team will win.

Yich
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
The Rhino is a support class rather than a damage class. The Rhino is supposed buff allies then tank enemies so your allies can kill easier. Just because the class isn't good at killing doesn't mean it's bad in general. Play the class correctly and your team will win.

Tank with 400 hp? Yeah, no.

Trenton
03-15-2013, 12:58 PM
^^Exactly.

jcoultet
03-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Rhino's are awesome just its not a beginners class but with right build its very good. At low level such as 20 it owns and at low level it cant be a tank or support because of low mana regen. What problem? at low level they own in my opinion they are possibly the best class at 10-20 with right build. At endgame they can single handedly win the game for example Ghost if you let him out of your sight then you know he is gonna score and there 14 m revive is very useful. In my opinion there is no problem I just wish these days that people actually give a real go with there class and not give up straight away.People don't understand to be good with a class you have to get to know it understand its strengths and weaknesses.

Suentous PO
03-15-2013, 03:52 PM

He was talking pvp, you are talking about pve & maybe ctf.
Op has valid points IMO.
Might wanna pm a dev to move this to pvp thread.

Roberto077
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Tank with 400 hp? Yeah, no.

That's why you go str and dex but only enough dex for a hood hit %

Ogbuehi
03-16-2013, 03:44 PM
With the hp absorb skill, I find a rhino to be a much better support tank. With that and heal, he's hard to kill unless overwhelmed. Plus you have a few outs when things get hairy to just stun everything around you. Great to help with slayer runs.

Blastyou
03-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Once you get past the level where mana consumption is an issue (30ish) the rhino isn't that bad. His armor and healing skills are pretty good and I like him as a tank. Plus having reviver who can take big hits is always useful for pugs.

whisperwalk
03-22-2013, 02:14 AM

This.

Rhino is touted as 'support' but I have to ask, what support? Brute Force +5 armor (a joke), Vital Force +36 damage (could be higher), heal 150 HP (har har), and Guardian 'dispel' every 20 seconds. Rhino's only good support is revive, i tell u.

Rhino is a good tank but only in PVE because against humans u get kited. IMO kiting is 'legal cheating' and birds should not be allowed to fly away so easily. Nearly all games have this issue because game creators don't bother. They seem to think that ranged classes have a birthright to pwn melee classes. In fact the only reason bears can PVP is because they "bow-bear". I suspect that any successful PVP rhino will be using a bow too. This proves that range is overpowered, especially the forgotten set.

Skill-wise, a rhino gets 10% buffs while every other class gets 30%. They enter battles with a distinct handicap. Birds don't deserve 30% evade. They are not tanks, so why should they get any defensive skills at all? Neither bears nor rhinos get 30% evade. So a pure offence class should not also get defence. But game creators get carried away designing "glass cannons" which are actually bulletproof in practice. Not a Pocket Legends problem, but general game design issue.

So right now rhinos are the bottom tier of the PVP community. And it's going to stay that way.

Gragorak
03-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Rhino is touted as 'support' but I have to ask, what support? Brute Force +5 armor (a joke), Vital Force +36 damage (could be higher), heal 150 HP (har har), and Guardian 'dispel' every 20 seconds. Rhino's only good support is revive, i tell u.
I have lvl 22 support rhino, and it's awesome in FFA. Lvl 6 vital is +24 dmg, which is ~25% increase in auto dmg (of my fox with toyman wand). It has heal and revive, dies very rarely (heal, heal's buff, redemption and insane armor with str gear and and stone skin make sure of it). I know you're talking about end game, there rhino's goal is to get flags in ctf. But in low levels they're pretty good in supportive role.

Rhino is a good tank but only in PVE because against humans u get kited. IMO kiting is 'legal cheating'
Yes, rhino isn't very good in 1v1. Btw i just fought one rhino who raged when I kited him. He kept losing and raging for a long time.
Idk if it was you, but anyways it was funny. :)

They seem to think that ranged classes have a birthright to pwn melee classes. In fact the only reason bears can PVP is because they "bow-bear".
Bears don't need ranged weapons, they have beckon. In fact, most bears in levels 50-76 use melee weapon. Foxes don't need ranged weapons wither, as they have their two leap in attacks.

Iphoneington
03-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Yeah, rhinos aren't the best in PVP, I would probably switch to a bear or more stronger toon.

whisperwalk
03-22-2013, 11:19 AM
I have lvl 22 support rhino, and it's awesome in FFA. Lvl 6 vital is +24 dmg, which is ~25% increase in auto dmg (of my fox with toyman wand). It has heal and revive, dies very rarely (heal, heal's buff, redemption and insane armor with str gear and and stone skin make sure of it). I know you're talking about end game, there rhino's goal is to get flags in ctf. But in low levels they're pretty good in supportive role.

Yes, rhino isn't very good in 1v1. Btw i just fought one rhino who raged when I kited him. He kept losing and raging for a long time.
Idk if it was you, but anyways it was funny. :)

Bears don't need ranged weapons, they have beckon. In fact, most bears in levels 50-76 use melee weapon. Foxes don't need ranged weapons wither, as they have their two leap in attacks.

It was absolutely not me, because my rhino is also called Whisperwalk. And I have no idea why he/she is angry when kiting happens in almost every game (due to devs making the same game design mistake over and over). But I was PVP-ing just now and i killed a few birds because they were good sportsmen (no running). They also killed me (about twice as often) because they were good sportsmen.

And yes, I saw mostly bowbears in my earlier lvls but they are getting rare now. I maintain that rhinos are the worst PVP class though and the "support" skills are lacking (not even noticeable). They are just a tank and that's it.

Perhaps a rhino is hard to kill in mid-level PVP (and it was, in my 30's, single fights actually took 5 minutes and were epic), but I'm telling u that endgame PVP is one shot, two shot and only the dodge stat makes any difference. Because birds have both evade as well as long range (bulletproof glass cannons), they absolutely dominate the game. I have never seen a PVP fox before. They are strangely rarer than rhinos.

Mennddoza
03-22-2013, 11:54 AM
You don't know anything. I love the rhino its the best thing that's ever happened to me! Don't dis it! :(

Zerious
03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
working on releasing a build for these guys soon (lvl20)

FromTheGround
03-22-2013, 03:13 PM
They are not bad at 20. Fbow bears with stun own you but with guardian you shouldn't get stunned (debuff invernibility) but thy stun.

Zerious
03-22-2013, 03:17 PM
They are not bad at 20. Fbow bears with stun own you but with guardian you shouldn't get stunned (debuff invernibility) but thy stun.

the focus of any rhino is to outlast your opponent in pvp. With a few different weapons that juice up skills immensely, any class can hurt. Rhinos have a ton of utility at their disposal. Timing is always key to winning a fight with a bear to begin with. This goes for every class, including Rhinos

grrims
04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
i agree they r helpful in ffas. But i say the devs should raise theyre health to at least 500

Subscriber
04-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Adjust and overcome.

grrims
04-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Adjust and overcome.

lol yep :D

Subscriber
04-09-2013, 02:06 PM
lol yep :D

I think it's adapt but whatever, same meaning eh?

Mennddoza
04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Rhinos are good at 56.

whisperwalk
04-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Rhinos have no problems in PvE, except Koal. To fix their uselessness in PvP, I think the solution is:

- Increase HP to 500
- Increase Rhino Might stuntime to 4.5s
- Increase Charge range to 12m

Rhinos will still have sucky damage, of course, but at least no one will be kiting the rhino. The increased stun lets them run away / get backup. I can just imagine a chargin' rhino that stuns 3-4 players, allowing his mates to one-shot everyone before they can even move. Now THAT is support.

Birds would be forced to stand far apart and not huddle together while one-shotting other players like a death train. In other words they would be forced to actually strategize.

XghostzX
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Unfortunately, there is no motivation in a game like PL (a small MMO) to be the supportive character. The only legit supporting you'll ever do is in end game ctf... not even in PvE, it's all button smashing.

I use a 75 rhino for Endgame CTF (it's full Str) so it's an incredible tanker. It cannot kill though - just play with a bird or something. I found the the Fox to be extremely fun for "rushing".

Subscriber
04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Ghost that actually sounds extremely fun for ctf..

whisperwalk
04-12-2013, 04:32 AM
Unfortunately, there is no motivation in a game like PL (a small MMO) to be the supportive character. The only legit supporting you'll ever do is in end game ctf... not even in PvE, it's all button smashing.

I use a 75 rhino for Endgame CTF (it's full Str) so it's an incredible tanker. It cannot kill though - just play with a bird or something. I found the the Fox to be extremely fun for "rushing".

I tried some CTF today, and I have no idea how you solve the following problem:

Enemy is 3 birds, and they simply kill u whenever u go near the flag. Whenever the birds die, they respawn in the room next to the flag and then they kill u.

Tanking? No such thing as tanking. Bird gets within 12m, u just die. Buffed, no buff, doesn't matter. The bird can kill u before u blink. We're looking at 100-400 dmg hits coming in fast. Your skills are worthless and barely touch them. Your vital force is worthless because it's only 36 damage. Meanwhile your team is playing 2 killers vs 3 killers from the other side. They slowly advance and murder you enough times until they get to the flag and then murder u all the way back to their base like artillery. Your teammate dies, you revive your teammate, the birds one shot your teammate again and then they one shot you. Your teammate accuses you of being useless and leaves the game.

With this kind of performance I'd rather be a fox so I can at least murder the bird before running away. What is the point of being a running tank that cannot actually tank?

Caiahar
04-12-2013, 07:08 AM

Im already starting a fox to cap and see how well it does...ill also try rhino.