PDA

View Full Version : 5 tips for guild applications

BugMage
04-26-2010, 10:37 PM
So maybe your current guild just isn't doing it for you. They're casual players and you're ready to step into something more hardcore, or you can sense some impending guild drama and want to be far away, or maybe they're like my guildmates and keep talking about wangs in guild chat for, like, half an hour. It's time to suck it up, tell them you're moving on, and then go to the realm forums and start filling out guild applications.

Despite what you may think, guild applications aren't quite as rough as job applications. They're mainly there to weed out the total idiots and incompetents. On the other hand, it's pretty easy to appear like a total idiot or incompetent, so here are some tips for your applications. Happy hunting!

1. Don't spell like a moron. Yes, yes, it's the Internet and spelling and grammar aren't cool among the kids these days. Nevertheless, you're trying to impress these people, so at least make some effort to not type like a monkey undergoing shock treatment. Typing in all lower-case with no punctuation except for "lol" makes the guild officers think that you're going to be a nightmare to have in guild chat, and they're probably right.

2. Use the actual guild's application. Not a generic application. Not another guild's application. ESPECIALLY not the application of the archnemesis of the guild you're applying to. This is usually an automatic disqualification -- if you can't take the time to fill out the application, how are you going to abide by the guild rules?

3. Don't flirt or post pictures. No one cares that you're a girl. Really. No, really. They care about how well you can play. If they ask for your gender, it's okay to tell the truth, but including revealing pics or a link to your myspace in your application screams "In the future, I will carry on an ongoing flirtation with several guildmates that will eventually destroy the entire organization." I would assume it's also verboten for a guy to flirt and post half-naked pictures in his guild application, but honestly I would probably /invite that person just to watch the chaos that ensues.

4. Don't complain about your last guild. Even if the split was really bad, just say "there were some issues about _____ and I decided to move on." An epic description of the drama in your last guild makes you look bad, and some of the officers in your wanna-be-new guild probably have friends in your old one.

5. Don't talk about what they can give you -- talk about what you can give them. I have seen many guild applications where the reason for joining boils down to "I want to get gear and you guys are progressed!" Sure, that's probably the real reason for it, but it's considered tactless (kind of like saying "I really need some money" during a job interview.) Instead, talk about your desire to see new content, meet new people, and help your guild in new encounters. Don't mention gear at all, really.

Do you have any tips for guild applications, or do you find the whole concept kind of distasteful?

Splurd
04-26-2010, 10:43 PM
I find it hard to apply for a guild when there are no guilds in the game yet.
:)

BugMage
04-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Heres 10 more tips enjoy...

...because guild applicants and guild officers don't always see eye-to-eye in terms of membership application and evaluation procedures. Raiding guilds take themselves very seriously, perhaps too much so in many cases. If you don't like that, you don't have to apply.

1. Follow directions!
Some guilds have really specific application procedures, read the forum stickies, etc. Here's a protip: How well you follow read and follow directions is often a part of our prospective member evaluation procedure. Also, some guilds like long apps, some like short apps...it really varies.

2. Read the guild documentation
This includes, the guild guidelines, the charter, DKP rules, anything stickied, etc. When you apply to a guild it is assumed that you have read all guild information provided and have agreed to all terms. If you have a question regarding loot rules, guild policies, or whatever, ask an officer for clarification.

3. Read the schedule and raid times
What time zone is this guild in? What times and days do they raid? Can you consistently make all guild events on time and for the entire duration? Can you make a long term commitment? No one likes new members who vanish a week after being ginvited due to real life situations that they "forgot" to mention.

4. Learn about the guild's culture before applying
Some guilds are prudish, some spout sex jokes every 5 seconds, some are composed of adults, some are composed of 12 year olds, some are casual, some are not. Guild officers not only want good decent, but people who will mesh well with preexisting players. Hint hint hint: a guild isn't going to get up and change just because dick jokes make you feel uncomfortable. Deal with it or don't apply.

5. Don't apply or trial for multiple guilds at the same time
I know it may seem more efficient, but this offends many guilds...who will instantly deny you any chance of membership for applying on another site. Remember: Guilds are looking for members who are committed to their guild, not every guild on the server.

6. Don't schedule multiple trials
Basically the same answer as above. I've had people schedule multiple trial runs with multiple guilds at the exact same time and wonder why their application was denied. WTF?

7. Don't make a "copy and paste application"
Most guild sites have a specific form that they wish to be filled out. Use that format, not your own. There are two reasons why: 1. It shows that you can to some extent read and follow instructions, 2. Having all applications in a standard format makes it easier for the officers to read.

8. Spell check
Use properly punctuated English, spell check and make sure that your application isn't one huge block of text. Most guild officers have an instant bias against applications that they are unable to read. If you can't give me the time of day to write a readable application, I'm not likely to give you the time of day for a trial. (By extension, please please don't write Walls of Text. Paragraph = friend).

9. Don't lie
Why do people outright LIE on applications? We can see your gear and spec in the armory, we can determine approximately how much experience you have in certain instances by looking at your rep, and we can also find your REAL guild history as well as interview your former GMs. Honesty, even from people with colorful guild histories, is appreciated.

10. Don't omit information
If there is a question that you can't answer or wish to keep private, just say so. Omitting important information looks suspicious.

LordRaid
04-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Despite what you may think, guild applications aren't quite as rough as job applications. They're mainly there to weed out the total idiots and incompetents.

1. Don't spell like a moron.

2. Take the time to fill out the application

3. Don't flirt or post pictures. No one cares that you're a girl. Really. No, really. They care about how well you can play.

4. Don't complain about your last guild. An epic description of the drama in your last guild makes you look bad.

5. Don't talk about what they can give you -- talk about what you can give them.

Simplified version in my opinion. Love these tips so much, especially number one. I can never really take it when someone can't even spell words correctly (then makes up some excuse about it taking too much time). If you're lazy, then don't commit to a guild. Simple. Number five I never have had trouble with in the past - I've always been a helper xD and contributing to others is always something that's brought me satisfaction when I see the results of my work (hopefully content on the other party).

I personally love the idea of guild applications. Just having a guild and making it one huge party group with many of the members inactive low leveled characters has never appealed to me. Committed guild members taking a break; sure, no one really has a problem with that. But those who join a guild, play for a while and don't take the time to say, "Hey, I'm quitting" and just stay inactive..... no.

But good job with this! Enjoyed it, considering these are a lot of the things that I've seen and experienced with others.

BugMage
04-26-2010, 10:46 PM
I apologize, i should have keep my tips shorter.

LordRaid
04-26-2010, 10:46 PM
And as Splurd pointed out, hopefully the guild feature will be released soon. It's always been one of the more popular features in MMOs, and I'm sure Pocket Legends will be no exception once private messaging and trading systems are released and efficient.

BugMage
04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
I find it hard to apply for a guild when there are no guilds in the game yet.
:)

Thier are guilds- it is hard yes, but for example my guild, me and my many friends from realm fnord made this guild for the future ingame guilds. We did this because we enjoy each others company.

Splurd
04-26-2010, 10:52 PM
I honestly think a guild should be with friends or like minded people. And if I have submit a resume or some crap to join a guild, that is too much for me.

I cant be bothered to make a guild but if I did, the application would consist of one question.
We Cool?
y/n

God, this talk of applications and interviews make it sound like a job.

BugMage
04-26-2010, 10:55 PM
I honestly think a guild should be with friends or like minded people. And if I have submit a resume or some crap to join a guild, that is too much for me.

I cant be bothered to make a guild but if I did, the application would consist of one question.
We Cool?
y/n

Like i said, people use it to weed out jerks/idiots splurd-but yes friends in a guild are important, yet having a guild is about meeting new people.

setec
04-26-2010, 11:01 PM

We Cool?
y/n

I agree. I won't be joining any guilds though. Just in PL for the fun. I don't have anything against guilds. They are just not for me.

I created a guild in WoW for me and 2 friends only so all our chars could share a guild bank and so I wasn't spam invited to guilds every night.

With the upcoming PL stash feature, I can share my loot between my chars. I'm good.

Now if they let anyone create a guild, I might create one just so can have something behind my name but I doubt that will be allowed.

Xanthia
04-26-2010, 11:06 PM

We Cool?
y/n

There are also very good reasons why the application process of a successful and organized guild needs to be long and hard. If the members you are trying to attract for your guild that runs raids that last 4hours or PVP nights that last for lengthy time and require you to focus and be at your best, then why is it to much to ask for them to endure a rigorous application process. In some cases I have had members tell me that they like the hard application process because it makes them feel like they earned the right to be a part of the guild instead of the only prerequisite for joining the guild to be post on the forums and your in.

However, I do not feel that those style of guilds are bad. I feel as though both styles of guilds exist for a reason and both guilds need their different respective application styles.

BugMage
04-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Ok, this went of track- all i was trying to do was help people interested in a guild be more succesful, i understand some of you dont like the idea of a guild/application and that is understandable.

so i hope this helps any players interested in the current guilds.

Eltivo
04-26-2010, 11:35 PM
You need to stop acting like there's end-game content to progress through. Wake up, this isn't elitest WoW where being the first to kill a big dragon and getting an achievement as a guild (all of which DONT EXIST in this game) actually matters.

BugMage
04-27-2010, 12:17 AM
You need to stop acting like there's end-game content to progress through. Wake up, this isn't elitest WoW where being the first to kill a big dragon and getting an achievement as a guild (all of which DONT EXIST in this game) actually matters.

This has nothing to do with "achievements" a guild can be more than just that, and this game does have a form of content to progress through.

Splurd
04-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Ok, this went of track- all i was trying to do was help people interested in a guild be more succesful, i understand some of you dont like the idea of a guild/application and that is understandable.

so i hope this helps any players interested in the current guilds.

This would be good, IF the current guilds had such stringent procedures. However, right now, they seem to be accepting any one and everyone who appears interested.

BugMage
04-27-2010, 12:30 AM
This would be good, IF the current guilds had such stringent procedures. However, right now, they seem to be accepting any one and everyone who appears interested.

True..ohh well failed attempt on my part.

Neraniggy
04-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Bug ffs go ingame ;( i wanna lvl My archer but only noob ppl online :( lol

prell

Splurd
04-27-2010, 12:40 AM
True..ohh well failed attempt on my part.

You premature ejaculated this topic.

Should have waited till guild applications where reaching their climax before releasing this thread for maximum pleasure.

cough. Is it time for my cold shower yet?

Odvar
04-27-2010, 08:37 AM

Should have waited till guild applications where reaching their climax before releasing this thread for maximum pleasure.

Lawlz good stuff

SlipperyJim
04-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I agree. I won't be joining any guilds though. Just in PL for the fun. I don't have anything against guilds. They are just not for me.
What he said. I like Pocket Legends because it's so much more casual than other MMORPGs. Why would I want to harsh my mellow by linking up with a bunch of hardcore players?

Y'all have fun with the guilds, though.... :)

BugMage
04-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Lol, that made me laugh :D

Zezima
04-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Well thank you for copy-pasting what you've just googled. -.-

first five? hmm.. lemme guess.. http://www.wow.com/2007/04/24/five-tips-for-guild-applications/

and then 10 more? wow you must be good at this... And by this i mean google stuff - http://hokage.org/node/119

nerdherd
04-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Haha, good catch Zezima...that's hilarious!

Dizko
04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Oh dear :P

BugMage
04-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Well thank you for copy-pasting what you've just googled. -.-

first five? hmm.. lemme guess.. http://www.wow.com/2007/04/24/five-tips-for-guild-applications/

and then 10 more? wow you must be good at this... And by this i mean google stuff - http://hokage.org/node/119

Lol, yea i did :P i found it helpful, so i shared, plus i did not say i wrote this, so meh...

Zezima
04-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Lol, yea i did :P i found it helpful, so i shared, plus i did not say i wrote this, so meh...

"I apologize, i should have keep my tips shorter. " Page 1

- You're not the only one that have discovered Google my friend, I rest my case. :)

BugMage
04-27-2010, 01:50 PM
"I apologize, i should have keep my tips shorter. " Page 1

- You're not the only one that have discovered Google my friend, I rest my case. :)

Ok, whata want me to say "caught red handed" lol, i mean honestly i found it and pisted it to be helpful...ohh whatever...:D

HectorCruz
04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't understand number 3. There are no girls on the internet.

SlipperyJim
04-28-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't understand number 3. There are no girls on the internet.
You remembered Rule 30. Congratulations!