PDA

View Full Version : Archer or Ranger?

Omgwdfholypoop
03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Just started PL today and like using bow, but the bird is so ugly and the fox is pretty awesome looking( compared to rest lol)

Anyways I'm fairly positive archer is better with bow, but can a ranger do almost as good with one end game?

Also if not I'm probably going to play bear since he looks pretty cool as well, question is... I know bears a traditionally tanks but can they hold their FPS relatively good compared to a ranger?

Thanks alot in advance!

Griffinfan
03-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Ranger is a little underpowered in endgame (If you are referring to pvp)

I personally like them though, I think its worth leveling one to endgame for the fact they probably will not be UP next cap.

Birds are OP, so they are noob.

Go Fox.

Omgwdfholypoop
03-18-2013, 09:42 PM
PVE only, looking to do at least moderate damage without eating thousands of hp/mp pots so I can farm and boss as well.

Basically down to Bear, bird, or fox.

Zeus
03-18-2013, 10:01 PM
PVE only, looking to do at least moderate damage without eating thousands of hp/mp pots so I can farm and boss as well.

Basically down to Bear, bird, or fox.

Moderate damage is bear, plus people NOTICE when there's a good tank on the team.

Zerious
03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
From my understanding, foxes are a bit more passive/supportive than birds as far as the offensive goes in PVE. Birds are adept in clearing maps pretty fast especially when accompanied by a mage (int/dex-int) and boss fights are jokes.

if you wanna be the spine of the team's damage, go avian.

Deathofan
03-18-2013, 10:08 PM
If it's your first character, don't choose neither the fox (ranger) or the rhino (paladin) as they consist of combinations of the three main classes (Archer, Enchantress, and Warrior) which are more advanced. If you don't want to be draining pots like crazy and want to have the most important role in Endgame PVE, then choose the bear. In the early maps you don't need a bear on your team, but as you are getting to End-Game (Around Mt. Fang) many non-elixered groups fail because there is no tank or someone smart enought leading the group that knows timing and kiting (kiting boss out, or mobs out the room). I would say to choose either the bear or the bird for your main character, as they will acknowledge you more in skill, debuffs and group work than the other classes.

Omgwdfholypoop
03-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Okay thanks a bunch guys, another question, is the starter pack worth it? The extra 50 slots seems nice along with the pretty smexy set for bear, ALSO can a bear use 1h/shield well? I don't care for the 2h much

zzjoshzz
03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Okay thanks a bunch guys, another question, is the starter pack worth it? The extra 50 slots seems nice along with the pretty smexy set for bear, ALSO can a bear use 1h/shield well? I don't care for the 2h much

Any char can use any weapon or armor and if u have the plat sure go for prem pack.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk 2

Redtank
03-18-2013, 10:53 PM
I wud say archer have a lv70,64 archer and 57 fox, fox was way funner though

LwMark
03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Tank bear!

Omgwdfholypoop
03-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Any char can use any weapon or armor and if u have the plat sure go for prem pack.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk 2

Is it honestly worth the plat though, when I could be purchasing something else? (Not sure, it seems like a good deal though for inventory/auction slots alone)

TheBedtBird
03-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Choose bird, trust me its great=) The vanities look awseome on them, and they can clear a room of eniemies alotore faster then a fox can.

If you choose a bird since you are new here are the perfect skills to start with and stick with as leveling up

Blast shot
Blind
Evasion
Focus
Break armor
Root
Thornwall
Repulse
Shattering scream

These are the most useful skills you'd need, they work breat for both pve and pvp. Also Shattering scream+Thornwall+Blast shot deals massive damabe to a mob and if using elixir this combo is a 3 shot mob killer:)

Deathofan
03-18-2013, 11:38 PM
If you choose a bird since you are new here are the perfect skills to start with

Fury

???

TheBedtBird
03-19-2013, 12:14 AM
???

Fixed thanks, edited my mini guide:)

Omgwdfholypoop
03-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Ranger is a little underpowered in endgame (If you are referring to pvp)

I personally like them though, I think its worth leveling one to endgame for the fact they probably will not be UP next cap.

Birds are OP, so they are noob.

Go Fox.

With this said, do you think they'll buff rangers PVE too next cap? I can't get over how awesome fox looks compared to other classes but hate the idea of being weak and unwanted lol >_<

dudetus
03-19-2013, 06:35 AM
With this said, do you think they'll buff rangers PVE too next cap? I can't get over how awesome fox looks compared to other classes but hate the idea of being weak and unwanted lol >_<

Well, Fox and Rhino (especially Fox) are way underpowered in PvP wise and also in PvE. And as u progress fox's main weakness are the dash attacks. Not that they were underpowered but badly timed leap will end up u being wasted as all enemies will target u. I have a lvl 75 fox (but a lvl 76 3 piece elite ring black drag crafted op archer as my main) and I have found fox the most useful wearing 1 handed melee weapon with a shield, meaning STR, DEX hybrid. It's incredibly good off-tank with leap attacks and high damage single target slashes. Few ranged attacks (poison dart and needle) can be used with any type of weapon so it's not a problem. As pure dex fox should be the single target DPSer it is no way near pure Dex Archer's damage input. And to that Archer has insanely good rooting AoE attack (Thorn Wall) which can end up with mega combo. And the fact that Archers can stay in a distance while using the high damage attacks while Fox needs to be in the middle of mayhem.

I am not quite sure how devs will balance Rhino and Fox. Obviously Fox needs a high increase to their damage and mobility and Rhino as well. Fox should definetely be the highest single target DPSer as it's close to enemies and that requires high damagw output to sweep the enemies before u die. But as STS has been neglecting us due to AL, I don't know how well they will balance the two new classes alongside new campaign.

If u want to be sure that u will be valid DPSer, go with Archer. If u want to take a risk to be valid, choose Fox.

Extreme
03-19-2013, 06:37 AM
^^ Didn't know u had a Fox..

dudetus
03-19-2013, 07:26 AM
^^ Didn't know u had a Fox..

Only ex-Unity members know my fox. I'm keeping it's identity a secret until Fox becomes valid.

Omgwdfholypoop
03-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Only ex-Unity members know my fox. I'm keeping it's identity a secret until Fox becomes valid.

Well, Fox and Rhino (especially Fox) are way underpowered in PvP wise and also in PvE. And as u progress fox's main weakness are the dash attacks. Not that they were underpowered but badly timed leap will end up u being wasted as all enemies will target u. I have a lvl 75 fox (but a lvl 76 3 piece elite ring black drag crafted op archer as my main) and I have found fox the most useful wearing 1 handed melee weapon with a shield, meaning STR, DEX hybrid. It's incredibly good off-tank with leap attacks and high damage single target slashes. Few ranged attacks (poison dart and needle) can be used with any type of weapon so it's not a problem. As pure dex fox should be the single target DPSer it is no way near pure Dex Archer's damage input. And to that Archer has insanely good rooting AoE attack (Thorn Wall) which can end up with mega combo. And the fact that Archers can stay in a distance while using the high damage attacks while Fox needs to be in the middle of mayhem.

I am not quite sure how devs will balance Rhino and Fox. Obviously Fox needs a high increase to their damage and mobility and Rhino as well. Fox should definetely be the highest single target DPSer as it's close to enemies and that requires high damagw output to sweep the enemies before u die. But as STS has been neglecting us due to AL, I don't know how well they will balance the two new classes alongside new campaign.

If u want to be sure that u will be valid DPSer, go with Archer. If u want to take a risk to be valid, choose Fox.

Thanks a bunch for this detailed explanation :) really helped me out in choosing, I'll just have to quit whining about bird"s looks and get use to it lol. End game though who can typically farm better? Warrior or bird? I know their roles are quite different but not sure what happens end game around farming and such.

dudetus
03-19-2013, 10:00 AM

Thanks a bunch for this detailed explanation :) really helped me out in choosing, I'll just have to quit whining about bird"s looks and get use to it lol. End game though who can typically farm better? Warrior or bird? I know their roles are quite different but not sure what happens end game around farming and such.

Well it depends. If ur group has already 1 bear it's not good to have 2. Birds damage is always welcome in regular end game farming and they are valid in almost every circumstance.

Zerious
03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
riot bear>everything. because they're designed to deal damage but TANK THE MOB RIOT!!

BDADADADAADADADADADADADADADADADADAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! *screamo*

frostine
03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Right now my fox is level 50 and I'm really starting to notice how much less dmg output it has compared to birds in Balefort Sewers. I'm using a bow but feel as though given the nature of the class I "should" be doing greater damage/dps to single targets with dual daggers. Are there any cross-class combos with the fox like there are with bird and mage? I feel like I'm taking away potential damage to my party without a combo as grand as naturestrike. A boost to the close range kick skills, high dps/fast hit speed daggers, and a good cross class skill combo like that of naturestrike would help make the fox be as powerful as the bird/class counterpart.

As for the rhino, I'm still trying to figure out the point of having them when mages have been spec'ing pally for years now. Jack of all trades good at nothing? Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong here. I'm trying to give my rhino a chance but I keep wanting to play bear or mage instead. I really feel like I take away from my party when I play as rhino, but that could be because I primarily play full INT mage (excellent heal/decent dmg). There seems to be nothing 'mighty' about the rhino that can't be accomplished better than a STR mage or a bear.

I can see how the fox could easily be adjusted to fit amongst the other classes better but rhino I'm not so sure. The rhino needs a bit of help IMO.