PDA

View Full Version : How good is talon/wing ranger compared to bow archer?

Omgwdfholypoop
03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Alright so like I know archers are #1 in dps, but how close are we talking does a talon/wing ranger compete? Since I'm guessing this is the best way to play ranger as of right now.

I enjoy archer but I cannot get over how ugly he looks lol, fox is by far the coolest, but I don't know the best way to play him to make it where I can actually do good for team and get to farm at end game with good parties. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.

Norbert
03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Talon/wing ranger should compare to talon/wing archer. Either one can have an offensive or defensive equip -- talon/wind is defensive, vs bow as offensive.

The archer has better area of effect damage, but the ranger is good close in. The ranger is designed to play close-combat. For example, the archer has break armor, with a 10m range. Ranger has shred armor with a 2m range. I played my ranger mostly as a dagger/shield, close-combat character up until the 70s somewhere. Looking at endgame gear and this playing style, I respec'd to just enough str to go full Savage gear. Ranger with scythe and savage is pretty nice.

That said, the dex endgame gear is also good. My problem is that the ranger skills by design take you in to close range, so I figure, why fight it, build and play that way. So anyway, if you spec a bird the same as a fox, and equip the same weapon, your damage should be the same. However, the bird combo is going to be way more effective than anything the fox can do for aoe. That may be my biggest frustration with fox -- only the needles and howl have any aoe at all, and those aren't much.

In endgame I can contribute pretty well to Slayer runs, but you have to constantly work to keep on target. Survivability is decent, probably a little better than archer if he is in dex gears. Damage vs dragon is good, but no aoe vs all the minions. I think in the end play and build what is fun for you. If you really want to be a star at endgame though, mage is where its at.

TheBedtBird
03-20-2013, 11:19 AM
I can help:) See my name

Just tell me what level you are and I can tell what skills you need to be am effective bird:)

Fusionstrike
03-20-2013, 11:20 AM
I tend to use a bow with my ranger and I find it not that different from archer as far as survivability. Switching to wing/talon does take a damage output hit but also makes it easier to survive. I guess I'd say it's about 30% easier to stay alive, depending on what you're doing. It's definitely less damage, but not so much less that it's unplayable. And the ranger's dart in and out style makes that extra toughness more valuable than it is to archer.

Bottom line is I think you'll enjoy ranger as a substitute for archer based on your post. The damage is still good, and you can always pull out a bow for extra offense.

Omgwdfholypoop
03-20-2013, 11:36 AM
I think the wisest choice would be stick with bird and get good with game and have equips for fox, then make a fox, thanks everyone for the explanation :). Is there a good step by step guide for bird in the mean time? I have +6 blast and focus and 1 shatter cry right now, saving point until I know for certain what to do.

Deathofan
03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Some people say pure strengh on fox is good. There's this skill at level 6 that boosts your hit % by 60, also pure strengh will rise your health pool by a big amount at endgame and dodge to even complement it with the skill evade that lasts 3 secs.