PDA

View Full Version : PL CS Market Data

DanielRH
03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi All,

A while back i attempted to create a Runescape like market data web utility (see runescapes version here http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_rs/frontpage.ws) for Pocket Legends. It failed because it relied on players to input their sell information each time they sold and it was not integrated into the game.

This web utility would track the day to day prices of items, present their estimated worth (depending on the sell prices of items that day) and present an item history (so you can see what the trend is on that item, whether it is going up or down).

I am starting this thread as a hopeful request (no no, this is most definitely not a petition :p) to STS to either a. Make a version of this web utility for everyone to use. Or B. Give me the data (details below) so i can develop it.

I believe this utility would be invaluable to every gamer on Pocket Legends, and i hope STS will go forward with one of the above options for the good of all Alterrans!

If you would want this service, please post and say so below! Perhaps if there was enough interest, STS would accept one of the above options.

Details:
To successfully build the utility, i would need the following information from STS (option 1 and two are laid out below):

Option 1 (for each item sold in the CS) - This data could be sent to me at the end of each day:
item_name - the item name
sell_price - the price the item was bought for
timestamp - the timestamp of the transaction

Option 2 - For each item that has been sold that day, calculate the average price from the sell prices (if STS does not want to give me the individual sales):
item_name - the item name
sell_price - the average price the item was bought for that day
date - date of the entry

DanielRH
03-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Sorry for the disorganized thread, had to run, wanted to finish it quickly. will fix it up later

Yich
03-24-2013, 12:57 PM
I played RS a bit myself, 10 99s and over 250m at my peak. I love the how their market is set up, and your idea to implement something like this in PL is great. Make sure that you dont break the rule against petitioning on forums though, because getting your thread locked wouldnt be good. Im definitely for this though.

DocDoBig
03-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Cool idea ! You have my Vote.
Maybe you should work with Fusionstrike , he makes insane "Cs-Analysis" too.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?78277-BSM-CS-price-trends-for-craftable-str-and-dex-sets&highlight=Fusionstrike

Chopper
03-24-2013, 01:02 PM
this would be pretty handy but that's a lot of data to go through!!

I think someone started this with Red Diamonds before and presented it in graph form. Pretty nice to see prices fluctuate over time. I think having rare items show up will be hard to track too over time.

wammm
03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Sales changes as time goes by. If you you are really willing to do this, you have to update it bimonthly. Ppl can't just rely on your data forever so good luck.

DanielRH
03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
I played RS a bit myself, 10 99s and over 250m at my peak. I love the how their market is set up, and your idea to implement something like this in PL is great. Make sure that you dont break the rule against petitioning on forums though, because getting your thread locked wouldnt be good. Im definitely for this though.

Thanks for letting me know, will change the wording!

Cool idea ! You have my Vote.
Maybe you should work with Fusionstrike , he makes insane "Cs-Analysis" too.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?78277-BSM-CS-price-trends-for-craftable-str-and-dex-sets&highlight=Fusionstrike
I'll check it out, thanks!

this would be pretty handy but that's a lot of data to go through!!

I think someone started this with Red Diamonds before and presented it in graph form. Pretty nice to see prices fluctuate over time. I think having rare items show up will be hard to track too over time.
Given enough data and the correct algorithms, it should not be all that hard.

Sales changes as time goes by. If you you are really willing to do this, you have to update it bimonthly. Ppl can't just rely on your data forever so good luck.

Sale prices are in a nearly constant state of flux, for this to succeed i would need to receive this info from STS daily.

Multibird
03-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Good luck

Caiahar
03-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Hope this works. I want it...

DanielRH
03-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Keep thinking i could REAALLLLY use this, every 5 seconds. Ugh.

Jespo
03-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Hey daniel! Been a long time since i've seen you around. I love the idea bro

Gragorak
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
This is the worst idea ever.

razerfingers
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
seems cool! it could totally give an advantage to the ones learning to merch.

razerfingers
03-25-2013, 04:23 PM
This is the worst idea ever.
go away if you have no reason why its a bad idea.

Gragorak
03-25-2013, 04:45 PM
go away if you have no reason why its a bad idea.
There's few reasons why feature like that wouldn't be very good thing IMO.

1. Merching would take no skill anymore. Knowledge of prices is most important thing in merching, and now every single noob would know prices. Experience about the PL economy would be totally useless.
2. Merches couldn't really merch anymore. There wouldn't be any underpriced items in cs anymore and no one would sell stuff for very low prices in balefort.

Fusionstrike
03-25-2013, 05:20 PM

1. Merching would take no skill anymore. Knowledge of prices is most important thing in merching, and now every single noob would know prices. Experience about the PL economy would be totally useless.
2. Merches couldn't really merch anymore. There wouldn't be any underpriced items in cs anymore and no one would sell stuff for very low prices in balefort.

By that rationale, everyone on earth should be millionaires. Why? Because the world has plenty of real-life CS's set up exactly this way. They're called stock markets. And guess what? These stock markets publish detailed data about the price of everything sold on it, including up-to-the-second prices and trend data as far back in time as you care to look at. So if published data about prices is the only thing one needs to become great at trading (aka "merching"), why isn't everyone rich? Why are there any under- or overpriced stocks in the world for good traders to make money with? By your argument it should be impossible to make any money trading stocks because of the scourge of all that freely-available information.

The thing is, just having data doesn't guarantee an understanding of causation of what's happening. Sure you can see an item went up or down, and how that compares with recent history, but do you know WHY the price changed? Was it part of a long-term trend? A fluke due to a temporary interruption of supply or demand? Someone typoing the list price and leaving off a zero? It's knowing the why that allows smart people to make money off a change, and that is where the experience with PL comes in.

DocDoBig
03-25-2013, 05:40 PM

Like you already said : "there are few reasons" why this shouldn't be added ,
compared to the advantages of such a feature.
You forget that PL's Economy is virtual ... it's considered to be fun/not real,
players in a virtual economy do not need to buy food in order to survive etc.
Such a feature would help new-comers to jump into the economy ALOT since PL's is Player-driven.
also every single noob can spam Balefort with B) 40-80% off quickchats what doesn't take "skill" at all imo.

EDIT : +1 to the post above , because economic theory can often be used to study these virtual worlds and i like the example used here.

razerfingers
03-25-2013, 05:52 PM

So you think merches should be over anyone else? Their knowledge is why prices are so high on BSM no offense. Also ive been playing since november 2010 and ive never yet had more gold than 1.5mil back at sewer cap when i sold the first looted gem hammer. Now its like 10k lolz

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

Zerious
03-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Daniel, Daniel, Daniel... STS should put your talent to use and give you a decent taxable income for it :eagerness:

DanielRH
03-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Nice refutation guys ;)

Thanks! I do hope STS will accept the offer!

Samhayne
03-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Cool idea, Daniel. Unfortunately, we're not prepared to make that information publicly available at this time.

DanielRH
03-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Cool idea, Daniel. Unfortunately, we're not prepared to make that information publicly available at this time.

Not prepared to make such a utility? Or not prepared to give ME the data.

If I were to build the utility and hand it all over to you guys would that work?

Or, would you guys be interested in creating such a utility?

Rreeaaallllyyy want this, could add a ton to the sts games!

Griffinfan
03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Not prepared to make such a utility? Or not prepared to give ME the data.

If I were to build the utility and hand it all over to you guys would that work?

Or, would you guys be interested in creating such a utility?

Rreeaaallllyyy want this, could add a ton to the sts games!

Agreed, This should be moved forward, but I have no faith in STS doing anything with it :(