PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on change to PvP matchmaking to be +/- 1 level

Samhayne
03-26-2013, 11:20 AM
On March 25th, we changed PvP matchmaking from a level range of +/- 2 levels to +/- 1 level. You can find notes for this update at: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?91334-2013-03-25-Content-Update-(116388)

For some background, how the PvP system works to set up games is as follows:

When a character enters the PvP arena, the game will check to see if there is an available match already waiting or in progress that they can enter.
If there isn't, it will create a new instance for that character and use that character's level as the base for that match. The range is now +/- 1 level.
Once 3 people on each team are present, the match will begin.

Previously, when the level range was +/- 2 levels, it was possible for a level 10 to play with a level 14 (if the starting character was level 12). We saw some complaints about disparity in level ranges, where people felt like they couldn't compete. Now, if a level 12 is the initiator for a PvP map start up, they will play with those who are level 11, 12 or 13.

The risk with this change is that characters may wait in the lobby for longer periods of time, since the level change restricts the number of other characters that they can play with.

We would love to hear your feedback and actual play experience after this change. Specifically, we would like to know if you are consistently finding you have to wait for what you feel is a long time for your PvP matches to start up.

Thanks!

Greencrow
03-26-2013, 11:34 AM
For lvl 25-26 .. I never experience waiting in lobby for there are so many high lvls entering...
But in the case of lower level I think they can wait in a minute or so .. but waiting for a minute with a good pvp game is just good :)

In pvp, I find it balance already since it's +1/-1

Hope this will be a success test and they won't change it to +2/-2

Lady_Pebbles
03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Im gonna test this out with all three of my toons (lvls 26, 21, & 12). Then come back here to edit this post with feedback. :) Hope it helps.

EDIT: Ok so I pvped on my toons... Seems the same as before. For the most part, it was easy to find a match on all three levels. Only once in a while it would drag on players joining.

CrimsonTider
03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Need to implement the same in PL. Would save a lot of drama.

Darko
03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
I like the level changes sometines there is a long period. .. can we make ot start with two on each side?

Y O L O
03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
why do we have to wait?
why couldnt it be like pl where you just start off and wait for noobs to spawn so you can farm?

Meazeht
03-26-2013, 06:02 PM
in my opinion, rogues still remain a little bit overpowered and the only way i found to surpass them was to team up: sorcerer -me- and 2 warriors. Which leads me to asking: is there a certain way to play with the party you're in? For instance, i form a party, and it needs only to press 'join' to join them in PvP? I cant see how that wouldnt be good.
Thank you so much for your wonderful work so far!!!!
(btw i say the rogues are overpowered because i used my one and it was too easy, easier than with my sorcerer)

Syylent
03-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Early impressions, you were right. It is tough waiting for a match. Sometimes it will take 5 minutes for a match to form. Most fights are 3 v3 or 3 v 2. I am missing my lvl 23, 24 and 25 friends and enemies.

The flip side. It is nice at 21 not to be beat up on by 25s calling you a noob.

At this point, sometimes I feel that having the lvl 25s call you out for a 1v1 may be better. Why on earth a lvl 25 would want to duel a lvl 21 is beyond me. Why anyone would want to duel someone lower lvl even 1 unless it is a friendly match is beyond me.

Anyway.. need more time to decide.

Serancha
03-28-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm finding a lot of waiting for matches to start, and a lot of half full games that take ages to fill up. This makes for pretty slow paced games, or else more ganging when those coming in all choose the same side instead of keeping the team numbers even as they join up.

Also if one side fills up first, you get a ton of people who look and leave, not realizing it's a new game, but thinking it's a game gone bad and everyone run away. Perhaps it would help if there were a way to see if it was an unstarted match before joining a side? Just a thought.

Bless
03-29-2013, 08:04 AM
I like this :) atleast now I see higher levels than me, gives more of a challenge

Samhayne
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Looks like we're going to leave this change to the level range in.

If anything, to help with wait times at lower levels, the team requirements may be changed from 3 per team to 2 per team for the match to start.

Limsi
04-02-2013, 10:48 AM

If anything, to help with wait times at lower levels, the team requirements may be changed from 3 per team to 2 per team for the match to start.

Better!

Wowsome
04-02-2013, 10:48 AM

yay!

Leeniskibac
04-02-2013, 05:46 PM

Need to fix the starting bug first...

Prolikethis
04-02-2013, 09:55 PM

2 per team starts & -1/+1 from maker = simply beautiful Sam i think work out quite nice

TwinkKiller
04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I like the idea of 2players per team to start, only issue i see is 5v2 matches. For some reason the first 5 players to join a map always hop on the same team. It happens more often then not. As a rule of thumb i ussually pick the team with the least players but not everyone does that.

Maybe u should consider an auto placement at least until the map starts then allow players to choose after map start.

Bebsi
04-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I like the idea of 2players per team to start, only issue i see is 5v2 matches. For some reason the first 5 players to join a map always hop on the same team. It happens more often then not. As a rule of thumb i ussually pick the team with the least players but not everyone does that.

Maybe u should consider an auto placement at least until the map starts then allow players to choose after map start.

+1
Was thinking exactly the same :)

Sam, Ty ... That helps a lot with the waiting times ^_^