PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on new router or not.

Ellyidol
10-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey guys,

I've noticed this problem I had recently. When I newly got my internet line, wireless router, and wifi, speed was up to 10mbps download and 1mbps upload.

I'm from Sydney btw, so I'm under TPG.

So recently I've noticed my Wifi is getting really slow at times, or my ping just goes crazy. (downloading new apps/updates from itunes seems to be quick cause I can count about a 500kbps-1mbps download)

I even opt to use my 3G connection instead which gives me about 300-500 ping, vs my wifi which gives me like 1k+ ping.

So i've tried plugging in my computer via ethernet cable to the router, and I get that 10mbps/1mbps speed I used to have. (I use speedtest.net for checking btw).

My question is, is it the router thats the problem? Cause the line seems fine if I still get that original speed while cabled up right? I tried to reconfigure the modem and such but still the same.

There are 3-4 of us at a time using the internet, and I'm aware downloads slow them down. But I have tried asking them to stop downloads and such just to test the speed and I get the same result.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

setec
10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Are you only having issues in PL?

What kind of router do you currently have?

Is someone in your house downloading torrent files?

Ellyidol
10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Nope not only in PL.

I play Heroes of Newerth at times too, and even at a 30-50 ping game, I get spikes that boost ping to 999.

I have a G-604T D-Link Generation 2 router.

Nope, I have tried checking them for viruses and such too, they're clean. I also tried checking for windows updates and it hasn't been the cause.

Arjun
10-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Had similar issues with routers I was using. Speed was fine right next to it. But weaker signal and it would drop. Repeaters didnt really help. Got Belkin now. Still get ping of 400ish+ on PL . . . but I figure tht is because STS don't have an Asian server up yet (nor a European one i think for tht matter) - Aus - OOoo boy. The counterweight continent.

Belkin N-Wireless i thinks. . . .so yeh. . .cld be the hardware. Other games like archetype and stuff (where they have Asian servers) no problem on the ping. And download rates as good as used to be when hardline.

Ellyidol
10-05-2010, 02:52 AM
I don't think its the distance to/from the router, cause I've tried setting up next to it using wifi and its the same when being in the other room.

Yeah I understand that STS doesn't have an asian server, and I expect my ping to really just be 300-500, its just the spikes I'm concerned with.

Same with other games, when speed is fine its really smooth and such, its unpredictable spikes and slow speeds for no reason that pisses me off.

setec
10-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Are there why updates to your router's firmware?

Ellyidol
10-05-2010, 07:19 AM
I can check. If I do those, should it speed up and such?