PDA

View Full Version : Which staff is better?

Caiahar
03-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Hey guys! I currently bought up with a few good and cheap staffs since I can't get firesquid or kraken skewer, so which one would be the best? I took screenies of them with the procs:

Which one would be the best for farming elites?

drgrimmy
03-30-2013, 03:55 PM
None of them! Use your good cheap oracle crystal :) Much better skill damage and much
better for clearing elite mobs.

If I had to pick one of those awful staffs I think it would be the first one. Best damage,
highest int, best proc - chance at 50% hit reduction.

Lalarie
03-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Captain's staff

Caiahar
03-30-2013, 04:05 PM
None of them! Use your good cheap oracle crystal :) Much better skill damage and much
better for clearing elite mobs.

If I had to pick one of those awful staffs I think it would be the first one. Best damage,
highest int, best proc - chance at 50% hit reduction.

Ehh I use the oracle for pvp.

drgrimmy
03-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Best elite build is a four offensive skill build all with crowd control: fire, ice, wind, time. You
will want to charge all of these skills. This leaves almost no time for "auto attack." Thus you
want the weapon that has the highest damage and thus the highest skill damage. The oracle
guns have a higher damage than even the best rod (lvl26 firesquid rod of assault). That is
why I say you should just use the gun. The only situation for which a rod if better is when
you are fighting a boss and you want the highest dps, and you are better off leaving this to
a rogue.

Caiahar
03-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Best elite build is a four offensive skill build all with crowd control: fire, ice, wind, time. You
will want to charge all of these skills. This leaves almost no time for "auto attack." Thus you
want the weapon that has the highest damage and thus the highest skill damage. The oracle
guns have a higher damage than even the best rod (lvl26 firesquid rod of assault). That is
why I say you should just use the gun. The only situation for which a rod if better is when
you are fighting a boss and you want the highest dps, and you are better off leaving this to
a rogue.

ok...i wasnt asking for a build..i use same build for pvp, fire frost light and life. and even tho oracle has more dmg, i use staffs for the procs.

CGRS
03-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Actually, captains staff is not that bad. Or better use a gun.
Funny note: lvl 26 assault Captains staffs (skill-)dmg (not dps) is almost the same as lvl 26 firesquid (124dps),
just 600k cheaper :smile:

xcainnblecterx
03-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Basically captains staff shadow. Higher dps for autos str for health add a nice proc and your set. ;)

Valsacar
03-30-2013, 08:21 PM
a rogue.

Almost right, when you want to go for DPS you go with... a gun. The DPS stat is just for the auto-attack weapon, your true DPS (damage per second) includes skill damage. Gun gives you more.

OP, use your gun for PvE and PvP.

Sorcs, please come read the threads in the Sorc section of the forum. Lots of information about damage vs DPS, real DPS, staff vs gun, etc.

xcainnblecterx
03-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Almost right, when you want to go for DPS you go with... a gun. The DPS stat is just for the auto-attack weapon, your true DPS (damage per second) includes skill damage. Gun gives you more.

OP, use your gun for PvE and PvP.

Sorcs, please come read the threads in the Sorc section of the forum. Lots of information about damage vs DPS, real DPS, staff vs gun, etc.

You mean gun=higher dmg= higher skill dmg and staff=dps=higher autos, yea? cause i know guns dont give better dps

JaytB
03-30-2013, 08:26 PM
I'd suggest you check out the topic pasted below. Make sure you read the comments too :)

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?t=88373

LwMark
03-30-2013, 08:30 PM
L10 bone staff

Valsacar
03-30-2013, 08:38 PM
You mean gun=higher dmg= higher skill dmg and staff=dps=higher autos, yea? cause i know guns dont give better dps

Read the link from JaytB.

DPS means Damage Per Second. As in, how much damage you do, on average, per second. That includes all methods of doing damage.

The DPS stat is your weapon only, it does not include all other methods of doing damage.

I know it can see confusing, but basically... the DPS stat is completely worthless and should be ignored.

Deadbite
03-30-2013, 08:42 PM
L10 bone staff

LOL!!

Caiahar
03-30-2013, 10:26 PM
I know what is dps and dmg, high dps means high dmg every strike from your regualar attack. Dmg is how much dmg the skills will do. Tho the oracle gun has good dps, it only does push proc. I use the staffs cuz of the proc. So far it seems captain staff is good.

JaytB
03-30-2013, 10:43 PM
I know what is dps and dmg, high dps means high dmg every strike from your regualar attack. Dmg is how much dmg the skills will do. Tho the oracle gun has good dps, it only does push proc. I use the staffs cuz of the proc. So far it seems captain staff is good.

What's so good about the captain's staff proc that's worth sacrificing (a considerable amount of) skill dmg for? Isn't that the staff that has a chance to reduce hit% for a couple of seconds? If so, personally I think it's a pretty worthless proc to have for elite farming. The only staff currently in game that I think has a proc that's really worth it, is the kraken skewer.

Furthermore, for PvE elite runs, the horrible range of staffs and the mechanics of how they work (always fires in the direction you're facing), would already be enough reason for me to go for a gun instead.

Caiahar
03-30-2013, 10:57 PM

What's so good about the captain's staff proc that's worth sacrificing (a considerable amount of) skill dmg for? Isn't that the staff that has a chance to reduce hit% for a couple of seconds? If so, personally I think it's a pretty worthless proc to have for elite farming. The only staff currently in game that I think has a proc that's really worth it, is the kraken skewer.

Furthermore, for PvE elite runs, the horrible range of staffs and the mechanics of how they work (always fires in the direction you're facing), would already be enough reason for me to go for a gun instead.

This is going to sound pretty stupid when I say this,

People get angry at me for push proc on oracle.

Strangely, very strangely, the proc sometimes happens when I shoot out a fireball.

I keep a staff at hand, and I use it for elite bosses. So I guess the thread is,
"which staff is best for elite bosses?"

Valsacar
03-30-2013, 11:45 PM
In a group run don't use the gun unless the boss is cornered so push doesn't move them. The damage you lose by not using autoattack (with a staff or gun) is far greater than the damage you lose by equipping a staff.

Caiahar
03-31-2013, 06:30 AM
I usually use rifle for the mobs and enemies, mainly because so my stuns will do more dmg to it. You cant really stun the boss, so I use staff. For mobs, I use fire and frost, I would use time but i use my pvp build. For the boss I use fire and light,,and life for teammates mana. So I can usually cram aome auto attacks in. and its kinda hard to corner anyboss, especially when the tanker refuses.

KillaSkillz
03-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Why does a mage have a gun to begin with?

Anyways, nice legs! You look like a squidbilly. :D

drgrimmy
03-31-2013, 09:59 AM
I usually use rifle for the mobs and enemies, mainly because so my stuns will do more dmg to it. You cant really stun the boss, so I use staff. For mobs, I use fire and frost, I would use time but i use my pvp build. For the boss I use fire and light,,and life for teammates mana. So I can usually cram aome auto attacks in. and its kinda hard to corner anyboss, especially when the tanker refuses.

Nice. Now it makes more sense in terms if what you are asking for. In that case gun for the mobs and the
captains staff for the boss. I don't know why you wouldn't use frost for the boss. Frost has a higher single
target damage than fire and also does DOT. If I were you, I would spam non charged fire, frost and light
and autoattack versus the boss using life when needed for you and your teammates. I know you are
not asking for build suggestions, so I hope I didn't overstep again with my suggestions :)

Bloodyblaz
04-01-2013, 05:28 AM
I believe the captains staff would be your best choice for going pve and probably oracle crystal or stick with captain for pvp. Just my thoughts.

lovestriker
04-02-2013, 02:29 AM
I'd say Captains Staff as well. :D

Deadroth
04-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi!

I reccomend to You fabulous Oracle Crystal Gun

Capitan's Staff isn't good for farming and PVP

Booya!
Dead :)

Valsacar
04-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Please read: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?88373-DPS-vs-Damage-a-detailed-comparison

And then use: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?82384-Sorcerer-dps-calculator

wawawa64
04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Use Oracle Gun if you have 3 or more offense skill. But if you only have 2 nuke skills ( I've seen plenty of mages only have TS and FB, but have both shield AND Lifegivers) maybe you are better off with a rod?

Personally, I like Guns much more because you don't need to aim, and you can stay away from the elite boss, given how they can 1 or 2 hit you to death. Consider how many auto-attack you would miss if you have to get close to elite bosses attack, then back away when you get aggro. With a gun, you can constantly spamming auto-attack in between cool down without aiming.

If you don't like the push proc, try combustion cannon maybe? ( Someone posted that combustion cannon actually has higher damage)

Yakiniku
04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Well since this thread keeps getting resurrected, I'll chime in. Skip all of those staves, get a Combustion Cannon which has more skill damage stat than any of your choices, and spam away from a distance without worrying about a silly push proc. This all goes out the window if and when you get a squid or skewer.

Oracle gun for pvp, but you already knew that.

/edit

Yes, somehow Combustion Cannon does actually do more auto attack damage than Oracle gun. Pretty helpful when you're soloing normal mode mobs. Don't bother with the aoe charge shot though. The charge takes way too long, damage is laughable and no stun makes the charge useless.