PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT DO THE Wi3 OFFER FOR DroidDefender

madmaty
04-02-2013, 03:40 PM
So I decided to do a "FREE" offer to get 4 platinum for free. It said all you had to do was instal and run the app once. As soon as I ran it it automatically sent a payBYphone charge though to my cell account of $30.00. Don't be fooled by this "FREE" platinum offer. I have now called my cell company who says only the payBYphone people can refund my money. Then the payBYphone people who said you bought the software they won't reverse the charges.

BE WARNED

Rollo
04-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Wow... I noticed some of the "free plat" surveys don't work when I try them. I just get stuck on an endless loop of surveys unless I buy something.
That really sucks you were charged 30$... for free plat /facepalm What was the name of the app, so we can avoid it?

madmaty
04-02-2013, 05:21 PM
DroidDefender is the name of the app

uzidredar
04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear that.
I have been always curious about the "free" plat offers but something tells me if one does a proper cost/benefit assessment they are not worth it.
To think that some guys have applied for credit cards to get a few plat coins sends shivers down my spine too. They are selling their souls to the devil for a shiny weapon for their virtual puppet that will become obsolete in 2 months. I don't get it :confused:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

KillaSkillz
04-02-2013, 08:21 PM
I was doing some, mostly game trials. I came across one 2 months ago on there I think it was called education+ or something similar.
Anyways, they asked for info and stupid me,, I filled out my phone #.
I get calls from telemarketers from all over the country 3-5 times a day, every day ever since, offering student loans (for an application fee), education grants (also for a fee), alternative schooling courses ect. Ect. Ect.
Pretty sure they just sell your contact info if you give it to them to complete the offer.

I won't touch any of those free plat offers anymore, except those 1 or 2 plat game trial ones that have always been safe for me, but never the "looks like a company and not a game developer" ones. And then only the ones from reputable developers with good rates on the market for their games.

I am checking them all out first through the market before a download just in case.

And yeah, i'd never apply for a credit card that I didn't want or need, and I would never take one that is marketing to everyone and anyone, you just know it's going to have an APR of 19-24%, instead I go to a bank or credit union and finding the best APR I know I can get.

Mysticaleagle
04-03-2013, 07:18 AM
That's called a scam. You shouldn't let it go even if it's 'only' $30.
Especially because you don't know what can happen next.

Greencrow
04-03-2013, 10:11 AM
DroidDefender is somewhat an "antivirus" in Android right?
Thank for this info :)

I use zoner :)

madmaty
04-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Working on following up on the offer here's where I'm at so far

1. Called phone provider. They said only the company who charged the phone can reverse the charges.

2. Called company to get them to reverse the change. They said you bought it tough luck.

So

3. I contacted Spacetime Studios. Not for any compensation just to inform them and tell them to remove the malicious software offer. They responded that it's not their responsibility and they can't do anything.

My next stop: Canadian RCMP Cyber Crimes

Wht is it with every single company putting the blame on someone else. As a consumer I find this very frustrating.

TourneAsunder
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Install a free trial and it should be free...not cool. Hope you get the money back...

FluffNStuff
04-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Working on following up on the offer here's where I'm at so far

1. Called phone provider. They said only the company who charged the phone can reverse the charges.

2. Called company to get them to reverse the change. They said you bought it tough luck.

So

3. I contacted Spacetime Studios. Not for any compensation just to inform them and tell them to remove the malicious software offer. They responded that it's not their responsibility and they can't do anything.

My next stop: Canadian RCMP Cyber Crimes

Wht is it with every single company putting the blame on someone else. As a consumer I find this very frustrating.

I don't have a droid so I can't check this, but if someone can find the listing for this app and take a screen shot of what it says. The question is there anywhere that it says 'BY DOING THIS OFFER, WE WILL CHARGE YOU 30 DOLLARS'

FluffNStuff
04-03-2013, 12:54 PM
What is the actual company that sent the charge? Because PayByPhone is a parking meter service as far as I can find.

Lalarie
04-03-2013, 06:20 PM
What is the actual company that sent the charge? Because PayByPhone is a parking meter service as far as I can find.

Yep all I could find out was they are a parking service ._. But I can't find the app offer anywhere on the offer list

xcainnblecterx
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
I was doing some, mostly game trials. I came across one 2 months ago on there I think it was called education+ or something similar.
I get calls from telemarketers from all over the country 3-5 times a day, every day ever since, offering student loans (for an application fee), education grants (also for a fee), alternative schooling courses ect. Ect. Ect.
Pretty sure they just sell your contact info if you give it to them to complete the offer.

I won't touch any of those free plat offers anymore, except those 1 or 2 plat game trial ones that have always been safe for me, but never the "looks like a company and not a game developer" ones. And then only the ones from reputable developers with good rates on the market for their games.

I am checking them all out first through the market before a download just in case.

And yeah, i'd never apply for a credit card that I didn't want or need, and I would never take one that is marketing to everyone and anyone, you just know it's going to have an APR of 19-24%, instead I go to a bank or credit union and finding the best APR I know I can get.

I use a old inactive number lol. Dont like givin out my real name/number to something i dont trusr

faustino
05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
This topic really enlighten me. I was planning to applied for credit card for me to buy that plat .. ds s lifesavr. Need to focus study again. Thx .!

razerfingers
05-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Thnx fer necro too

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

OvigorothO
05-29-2013, 08:56 PM

You can fix this on an android device by going into settings>>call settings>>call restrictions>>incoming>>allow contacts. Now any calls you receive will be filtered and only contacts will be let in. Thats how it works on gingerbread anyways :) not sure about ice cream sandwhich or Jellybean.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2