PDA

View Full Version : Guide: How NOT to get scammed

Caiahar
04-13-2013, 11:15 PM
I know ill end up in flames, and there's probably another guide like this, but due to the mass increase threads complaining and whining about "scams" and stuff like that, I will make a guide on how NOT to get scammed.
Also shows how not to get banned by doing this.
Rule Number One:

Whatever does not fit in the trade box, means you will probably get scammed. EXAMPLE:

Person No. 1: yo guys, I'm selling this name, *insert name here* (in this case, maybe Shadowstar), for only 500k! It's the bargain of the lifetime! Just give me the gold, ill delete this character, and you can have the name!

Person No. 2: thinking: "Wow, I always wanted the name shadowstar!"
"Ill give 1 MILLION for it!"

No. 1: *takes money* *logs off*

Another thing, if you are trying to SELL a guild, and you think nothing will happen, and you're innocent, chances are, you'll get banned.

Rule Number Two

DON'T EVER TRADE MONEY FOR PLAT!
If a guy goes around saying, "Hey guys, give me 1mill and ill give you unlimited plat!"

Secret: If he could make someone have unlimited plat, he could do it to himself right? And if he got unlimited plat, he could get lots of gold.

Another thing: If person says he's taking gold to give YOU unlimited gold, it's a scam. If he could really do it, couldn't he do it to himself?

Don't EVER go on websites that ppl tell you In-Game

Probably a common scam. Apollo, me, crimsontider, and many others went through it.
No. 1: Go on website *insert website here* and get lots of platinum! It's free, easy, and takes one second!

Secret: The website will tell you to put your email and password to you sts account, and they will change your password, and take everything away.

Rule Number Three

Don't Listen to gold doublers.
Scammer: Doubling gold!
Innocent person: ok!
Scammer: give the money, ill double it!
Innocent person: *gives 1k*
Scammer: *gives 2k*
Innocent person: OMG I LOVE YOU MAN!!! *gives 1mill"
Scammer: *takes money and runs away*

Rule number 4

Always check the trade box. And the confirm button is there for a REASON.
Scammer: Selling demonic mace set 5 mill!
Buyer: Ill buy!
Scammer: *puts demonic mace set.*
Buyer: *puts 5 mill*
Scammer: waiting gotta put something *takes demonic set away and puts useless trash items*
Buyer: *confirms*
Scammer: NOOB! HAHAHAAH!

Rule Number 5

Never give something to someone who says he's "borrowing" it, unless you rlly, rlly, rlly trust them. And by rlly, I mean ALOT.
Beggar: I want to borrow zuraz shock lance.
Guy: sure *hands it over* give it to me next week.
Scammer/beggar: OK *removes from friend list and never gives it back.*

Rule number 6

Don't ever power level with ppl who want money before you power:
Guy: I need to power lvl to 60, o have thrashers.
Scammer: ok, but it'll cost 500k.
Guy: *hands it over*
Scammer:* runs away*

It's also other way around.

High lvl person: ok, I power lvled you to 60, now gimme money.
Power lvled person: *runs away*

IF YOU DO GET SCAMMED....

REMEMBER, sts support and the report button are your best friends. Posting on forums won't help.

These are all I could think of. Also special thanks to superss:
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?23590-beware-of-scamming!-list-of-common-scams

I know he made a guide like this, but barely anyone checks that section.

Please, ppl read this. It saves scams, money, and accounts. Please don't flame.
PM me if you have more scamming ways. I will add them here.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a guide on how to scam, how to PROTECT from these types of scams.
Also Devs, if you wish to put in guides section, put it. But pleas put one copy in guides section and one in General Discussion section.

-Shadowstar

XghostzX
04-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Nice^^ I suppose it's useful for those who aren't exactly sure...

Caiahar
04-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Nice^^ I suppose it's useful for those who aren't exactly sure...

I'm actually fed up with all these threads about,
"OMG I'VE BEEN BANNED!!"
"IM SCAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEDD!!!!"
"Sts isn't doing anything about this!"

XghostzX
04-13-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm actually fed up with all these threads about,
"OMG I'VE BEEN BANNED!!"
"IM SCAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEDD!!!!"
"Sts isn't doing anything about this!"

I've only seen like 3 threads, but ok haha. If you insist. Vast majority of players know when there's scamming going on :)

Sryyoulose
04-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm pro at accidental scamming I walk up to people (Who I've previously traded) giving them money and they are like what's this for? And I'm like I accidentally forgot a 0

Caiahar
04-13-2013, 11:26 PM
I've only seen like 3 threads, but ok haha. If you insist. Vast majority of players know when there's scamming going on :)

You should check out general AND technical section. Plus, I get lotsa PMS about being scammed and banned, they say I'm a "known and popular" forumer...

Sryyoulose
04-13-2013, 11:27 PM
You should check out general AND technical section. Plus, I get lotsa PMS about being scammed and banned, they say I'm a "known and popular" forumer...

And new actively... I don't recall you being here 11 months ago...

XghostzX
04-13-2013, 11:28 PM

You are popular, yes you are. :-)

Caiahar
04-13-2013, 11:31 PM
You are popular, yes you are. :-)

Nope,
And btw, I'm glad to see I haven't went in flames yet. Ill wake up in morning and see how it goes.

Sryyoulose
04-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Flames will ckme... By some nubs garunteed I'd bet a Bronx bomber on it.

Subscriber
04-13-2013, 11:37 PM
You put so much time into this forum Shadowstar.

Anyways, good job.

Rushorgtfo
04-13-2013, 11:51 PM
This is funny ^.^ make a thread on how to tie your shoes. There both as simple as eachother and require very little thinking^^

KingFu
04-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Those who aren't smart enough to avoid getting scammed in the first place won't be smart enough to read all that though.

Step 1) Don't be dumb.

Step 2) Repeat step 1.

tHelonestud
04-14-2013, 07:45 AM
only like 10 other guides just like this
but I guess some people really need reminded

CrimsonTider
04-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Popularity is vastly overrated. Like scamming, the search for being popular is about seeking attention and being noticed. Just be you and all else will take care of itself.

Caiahar
04-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Popularity is vastly overrated. Like scamming, the search for being popular is about seeking attention and being noticed. Just be you and all else will take care of itself.

People making useless threads about being scammed and being banned making me angry is one thing,
While people saying I'm trying to be popular and trying to get thanks making me angry is another thing.......

Caiahar
04-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Those who aren't smart enough to avoid getting scammed in the first place won't be smart enough to read all that though.

Step 1) Don't be dumb.

Step 2) Repeat step 1.

I guess my anger went kinda overboard, and i couldn't resist making this.

CrimsonTider
04-14-2013, 08:15 AM
People making useless threads about being scammed and being banned making me angry is one thing,
While people saying I'm trying to be popular and trying to get thanks making me angry is another thing.......

Ok. Listen (or read in this case.) You mentioned you are approached because you are "popular." Your words, not mine. I made a simple statement, you take it as you will. You get way too upset on forums and take things somewhere they don't need to go. YOU are in control of YOUR emotions.

Caiahar
04-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Ok. Listen (or read in this case.) You mentioned you are approached because you are "popular." Your words, not mine. I made a simple statement, you take it as you will. You get way too upset on forums and take things somewhere they don't need to go. YOU are in control of YOUR emotions.

I AM in control of my emotions, but sometimes, they go a bit high, of you get what I mean. People come to me because they say I'm "popular" I tell them to go to ghost, Apollo, or some other guy. If I tell them that, they start SPAMMING pms. If you ever had people spamming pms, you know how I feel.

tHelonestud
04-14-2013, 02:51 PM
I AM in control of my emotions, but sometimes, they go a bit high, of you get what I mean. People come to me because they say I'm "popular" I tell them to go to ghost, Apollo, or some other guy. If I tell them that, they start SPAMMING pms. If you ever had people spamming pms, you know how I feel.
Hi, my name is Stud, and I'm addicted to studliness.

Mysticaleagle
04-14-2013, 02:54 PM

Step 1) Don't be dumb.

Step 2) Repeat step 1.

Step one is literally impossible!

Yich
04-14-2013, 03:13 PM

I was a scammer on RuneScape a few years back. Quick wits and good grammar will trick many, but I didnt do it for popularity or to be known, so your logic is invalid.

CrimsonTider
04-14-2013, 03:31 PM
I was a scammer on RuneScape a few years back. Quick wits and good grammar will trick many, but I didnt do it for popularity or to be known, so your logic is invalid.

I am not going into a battle of wills, but there is some form of attention seeking whether through others or self-gratification. Otherwise, why keep bringing up the fact you were a scammer in a game which doesn't apply here? You're just bringing attention to yourself.

See what I did there? ;)

Yich
04-14-2013, 03:58 PM
I am not going into a battle of wills, but there is some form of attention seeking whether through others or self-gratification. Otherwise, why keep bringing up the fact you were a scammer in a game which doesn't apply here? You're just bringing attention to yourself.

See what I did there? ;)

This would make sense if it werent for the fact that Id need to inform you of my past for my post to make sense. Also, self gratification and popularity amongst others are two very different things, no? I agree self gratification had something to do with it, I enjoyed the whole process, but popularity, no. I was no modern day robinhood by any means.

CrimsonTider
04-14-2013, 04:50 PM
This would make sense if it werent for the fact that Id need to inform you of my past for my post to make sense. Also, self gratification and popularity amongst others are two very different things, no? I agree self gratification had something to do with it, I enjoyed the whole process, but popularity, no. I was no modern day robinhood by any means.

A common misunderstanding my students often have: Popularity doesn't always make you popular.

Cavoc
04-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Tip 1: keep your stuff to yourself
Tip 2: don't trust people
Tip 3: keep your stuff to yourself

Griffinfan
04-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Step one is literally impossible!

David's fanclub has arrived.

Chancer
04-14-2013, 05:17 PM
thx you for the tips shaddow

dudetus
04-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Scammers will always be able to scam in MMOs simply because people are idiots and greedy. If something is too good to be true, it isn't.

Only way for STS to moderate "omg I've been scammed" better is to add some sort of support notify triggered by thread name including "scam" in any form.

People will always come here whining about scams and whining about scam whining falls in the same category in uselfulness. As an idea it's a "meh", but just utterly useless in the end. As Myst pointed out, people who fall for scams will not likely have large enough brains to think before posting another "omg ive been scammed plz halp" thread.

As for this whole popularity de-railment part in this thread I'm gonna grab some popcorn and watch another Crim vs Yich debate. It's like weekly premier show.

Mysticaleagle
04-14-2013, 05:58 PM
David's fanclub has arrived.

Dav's fanclub? This is also literally impossible!

Griffinfan
04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Dav's fanclub? This is also literally impossible!

IKR! I mean its not like you have a similar name same photograph and the wannabe troll attitude.

I must be wrong!!

Yich
04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
A common misunderstanding my students often have: Popularity doesn't always make you popular.

Fine and dandy for your students, back to your earlier statement, scammers do it for popularity. No they dont. Some might, but that's pretty much just Imkelly. Name some others that do it for popularity? Everyone knows no one likes a scammer. It might give you a little attention if you're an idiot about it, but the best scam is the one you cant report. Just because I made a reference to my past doesnt mean you have to tell me about your life, no offense. You just change the subject very quickly, perhaps as a defense for being wrong?

Mysticaleagle
04-15-2013, 02:07 AM
IKR! I mean its not like you have a similar name same photograph and the wannabe troll attitude.

I must be wrong!!

LOL wake up buddy.

LwMark
04-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Wth! I jist got scammed following this thread , jezuzzzzzzzz

Jig
04-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Since when do people need guides on how to not get scammed, how do you get scammed Oo if you don't know then do you even know what it means? Seriously.. Not a hard thing to not let any touch your stuff

25thninja
04-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Ya did good broski

aav5224
04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
How not 2 get scammed check C.s ,if you know the person in real life trust him done. Not 2 hard ya know

Griffinfan
04-15-2013, 11:51 AM
LOL wake up buddy.

from?

tHelonestud
04-15-2013, 09:22 PM
from?

generally, I wake up from my sleep. Potentially, daydreaming is another possibility.

dudetus
04-16-2013, 12:53 PM
generally, I wake up from my sleep. Potentially, daydreaming is another possibility.

Ur studliness never lets me down.

Zeus
04-16-2013, 01:53 PM

I must be wrong!!

He's had that for the longest time and has been around for as long, if not longer than Mysticaldream.

Mysticaleagle
04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
He's had that for the longest time and has been around for as long, if not longer than Mysticaldream.

My first forum account got banned (April 2010) so made this one. But indeed had that name, avatar etc since the first minute of PL. :)

BTW, put your avatar back on..