PDA

View Full Version : My problem with DEX weapons (and how to fix it)

Battlegrinder
04-16-2013, 06:47 PM
The main issue I have with the current state of weaponry in PL is that two classes (Ranger and Archer) can dump all their points into one state and still be able to fight opponents in melee or ranged combat equally as well, while the rest of us have to duel spec for that to work. Dex classes get bows, crossbows/guns, talons, daggers, and duel weapons, but other classes have either melee only or ranged only weapons (except for Mage Blades, but blades are plat only and haven’t had a new version released since lvl 45). I don’t object to DEX classes being the only ones able to use bows and talons, but I am hacked off that they also get usable melee weapons with having to duel spec, but the other classes don’t get ranged weapons to shoot back (for STR) or melee weapons to fend off people who get close (for INT). I have few suggestions to correct this.

A) Bring back STR and INT duel wield weapons. You can keep them in the plat store, but at least let them be usable again.

B) Give STR classes a ranged weapon. Something a like a Javelin, or even a big rock to throw at people. Just give us something that we can use to deal with people who try to kite out of melee range.

C) Consider making swords an all class weapon. Given that no one uses them currently, this change might let them have some usefulness.

tHelonestud
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
but other classes have either melee only or ranged only weapons (except for Mage Blades, but blades are plat only and haven’t had a new version released since lvl 45).
Actually there are droppable level 50 dual for all 3 specs. Dual weapon really aren't very effective anyways.

B) Give STR classes a melee weapon. Something a like a Javelin, or even a big rock to throw at people. Just give us something that we can use to deal with people who try to kite out of melee range. Generally due to the low hit%of strength being part dexterity is better anyways just use a talon.

C) Consider making swords an all class weapon. Given that no one uses them currently, this change might let them have some usefulness. A lot of people use sword, or do you mean 2h endgame? In that case, it is because the low armour you get from them, no one wants to sacrifice range for just like 10 armour.

Battlegrinder
04-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Actually there are droppable level 50 dual for all 3 specs. Dual weapon really aren't very effective anyways.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info. However, that doesn't change my main point, since all duel weapons in the post 50 game are DEX only.

Generally due to the low hit%of strength being part dexterity is better anyways just use a talon.
The problem with that is that talons are still DEX items, and pure STR characters can't use them. I'm not suggesting that Javelins or any other STR ranged weapon be designed to be on par with a bow, just they be strong enough to let us hit back when facing DEX classes kiting around out of range.

A lot of people use sword, or do you mean 2h endgame? In that case, it is because the low armour you get from them, no one wants to sacrifice range for just like 10 armour.

I'm mostly referred to one-handed swords, which from what I've seen are never used.

tHelonestud
04-18-2013, 07:51 AM
The problem with that is that talons are still DEX items, and pure STR characters can't use them. I'm not suggesting that Javelins or any other STR ranged weapon be designed to be on par with a bow, just they be strong enough to let us hit back when facing DEX classes kiting around out of range.
It can be difficult, honestly though pure strength isn't a very ideal way to go. If people with massive armour could just hit people from range that would be overpowered. You just need to learn to make effective use of beckon, stuns, and retreating.

I'm mostly referred to one-handed swords, which from what I've seen are never used.
It depends on the level. At some level ranges swords aren't the best in that range or don't even exist in pink rarity. At levels 50-55 swords are very good and again at 61-68.
Most other levels, there is a better strength weapon. Forest haven and dark forest axes are generally the best; board and nail club in balefort; earthquake hammer or pick axe in fathom crypt, iceberg axe at level 30, copperhead trident at 35, djinn spear at 40, shock lance at 45, glyph mace in nuri's, tiki crusher mace at level 70 and scythe at 71-75.
I wish they did make alternate weapon choices for level areas, but I guess with 35 people making 4 games, you can only do so much.

joshtheboss
04-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Lol getting kited by str characters would be terrible. I personally think this is a bad idea and I'm a dual spec.