PDA

View Full Version : pure tank h/s or m/s?

Stratospaly
10-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I just started PL about a week ago, but am up to level 27 already. Being a MMO vet I always like to learn all I can about the game, and especially the class I am playing.

My question is simple, yet complex.

Should I focus on items with h/s, m/s, or best str/dex/armor/damage.

On one hand I would love to be able to run dungeons leveling and not burn 100 health and power pots (the m/s and h/s), but I dont want to gimp myself in the way of incoming damage because of it. However I do have a hard time keeping money because every time I run a zone all the way through I have to spend every bit of gold on pots. Do the healers just suck that bad, and am I using too many skills?

What is the Tanking warrior consensus for gear while leveling?

Just an example of how I play. I equip Axe and Shield if I am the highest level warrior of the group, if not I run with a high damage 2h sword. I charge into a room of enemies, pick the most important target to target (boss, healer, high damage dealer)taunt (to counter any proximity aggro from groupmates), crushing blow, when all are around me I hellscream. I kick everyone around me, making sure to aim my target into a wall or corner, not into the next room of mobs. I then do the +crit buff (cant remember name, red sword), and now have bloodrage to use also. By this time I need a power pot, and most likely a health pot. Rinse and repeat minus the taunt unless needed. Groups seem to love me as no one else gets hurt unless they go crazy on a few targets.

Thanks!

Stratospaly 27 and growing tanking warrior

Raxie
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
are you talking about levels 45-50 or your level?

Stratospaly
10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry about that, I am talking about while leveling.

kavanah
10-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I'd get just 1-3 m/s. That should hold you over. Stack dodge and h/s when you can while leveling =)

Dip
10-08-2010, 12:22 AM
agree with kavanah. get two croc items and 2 iceberg items. you'll have 12h and 2m per sec thats when you lvl 30

KingFu
10-08-2010, 01:21 AM
As a pure tank, you get some H/S from str.

(11Str- 1HS
61Str - 2HS
111Str - 3HS etc
So 11Str = 1 HS then after that, every 50Str = 1 HS)

So work with that. Also, people say that loot is better than platinum store items, which is true, but of you have plat, they help out, especially for hs and ms since they usually have one that delivers hs, or ms, or both! You sound like you know what you're doing. At low levels healers usually don't do that great of a job of healing since they are usually selfish and only heal when they need it. I would focus on hs, but a small amount of ms wouldn't hurt, also, putting attributes in iron blood and evasion along with restore will help you survive better (I'm sure as you know, just a tip I'm throwing in:)) if you need anything or have any other questions let me know. :)

Arjun
10-08-2010, 02:21 AM
I just started PL about a week ago, but am up to level 27 already. Being a MMO vet I always like to learn all I can about the game, and especially the class I am playing.

What is the Tanking warrior consensus for gear while leveling?

Just an example of how I play. I equip Axe and Shield if I am the highest level warrior of the group, if not I run with a high damage 2h sword. I charge into a room of enemies, pick the most important target to target (boss, healer, high damage dealer)taunt (to counter any proximity aggro from groupmates), crushing blow, when all are around me I hellscream. I kick everyone around me, making sure to aim my target into a wall or corner, not into the next room of mobs. I then do the +crit buff (cant remember name, red sword), and now have bloodrage to use also. By this time I need a power pot, and most likely a health pot. Rinse and repeat minus the taunt unless needed. Groups seem to love me as no one else gets hurt unless they go crazy on a few targets.

Well Stratos - first off - welcome to Alterra. Having said that, I'm not too sure on concensus for gear - plus being an MMO vet I'm sure u shld be able to sort that out better than me. Personally tho - and from right in the early days - I always chose to walk the middle path.

Which is to say somewhat of a balance between H/s and M/s. 50-50 more or less. more or less.

And I found this to suit my style of play. Speaking of which - judging by what you wrote of it - ur's is pretty impressive as well. Equips 2H Wep if team is fleshed out - I like it. A couple of tips however, to speed you on your journey as it were - bekon - get archer to shattering scream (and/or mage to drain will - the gray spell, the gray spell) - and then - only then - Hellscream your little warrior Head off. Result - terror in mob. Weakens the lot of them. Plus the fun factor. And Teamwork.

Got a couple of other tricks up our sleeves as well of course - picked which up the hard way. Trial and error and a lot of begging in chat - Please. . . please for the love of god magey - hit them with all the spells you gots.

Also like to hit the flying V formation and attack the same target as the rest of the group as much as possible and all that. Takes them down just that much quicker. Crowd control mobs by stomping them back and the baddie in the V further away from his evil healers. And so on and so forth. Cld go on. Hope to catch you in game. . . where we can lets the action speak for itselfs.

Stratospaly
10-08-2010, 08:40 AM
My wife is an int mage, and we are working on the combos, the only problem is I am now level 30 and she is 19, so her charging in and doing any spells quickly gets her killed. After my first rotation of Hellscreem, we will try to time it for combos, do you know how long you have to complete it? We work together well, I take out the cluster of melee and she picks off the casters/archers one by one.

I just hit 30, and can now use all the sweet gear I have been collecting for 10 levels, come to find out I got pinks and purples in the last level. Up to 12 h/s with 99% hit, my str is a bit too much but next level I can get it to 100%. I picked up a 2h purple with 140dps, and a pink 1h axe with 6 h/s and 100 top damage, I ended up spending 2 plat on a 2 h/s chest, because in 10 levels I did not find any that looked decent. Now to spend the next few days trying to get my wife some nice pink and purples for level 30, when she reaches it.

Thanks for the help guys, I am always happy to have an active community of the class I play, and as I master the game and class, and always helpful to the newbies.

Xviperr
10-09-2010, 03:49 PM
for a warrior at 30ish i recommend using ICEBERG items. check yanis' frozen nightmare item post
it goes many str and HS good for a tanking warrior like u

as for your wife, an INT, use BRAIN-FREEZE items also from nightmare.

btw this is the link to yanis' frozen nightmare list
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?8362-Pinks-with-Stats-and-Pictures-The-Lost-Expedition-and-Frozen-Nightmares

oh forgot to mention is that, frozen nightmare items are MISSING of HELMS--
so remember to pick a suitable helm to go with your set-

juhnken773
10-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I got a lvl 35 zombie saintly shield if yu wanna buy for 30k
And I have a croc plate of legend.
Shield gives 5 h/s and plate gives 2h/s

Stratospaly
10-10-2010, 12:27 PM
I would buy your shield, but I only have about 25k gold :(

juhnken773
10-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Add me in game ,
Ign jeriziah.
If yur still interested, hit me up.

Stratospaly
10-11-2010, 08:53 AM
I added you, will have to try and find you online to buy the shield. I just got 35, so I can use it now.

Arjun
10-12-2010, 12:00 AM
My wife is an int mage, and we are working on the combos, the only problem is I am now level 30 and she is 19, so her charging in and doing any spells quickly gets her killed. After my first rotation of Hellscreem, we will try to time it for combos, do you know how long you have to complete it? We work together well, I take out the cluster of melee and she picks off the casters/archers one by one.

Stratos- I skip all the mumbo-jumbo on the numbers and gears (I like to wear what I feel's I looks good in - mostly). Re the timing of the combos - yep as you lvl up you get more of a window. Which is to say as you missus lvl's up and puts more point's into her spell's as well as other attributes - you get more of a second to charge up hellscream after her initial spell (drain will - drain life - I never remember wht to call it - the gray one the gray one). Other than that sound's like you guy's are having a good time. Am almost jealous.