PDA

View Full Version : Do item and character levels really matter?

Gideon Jean-Claude
04-19-2013, 01:36 AM
I have a 29 bear that uses a shield, and of all the weapons I have that can be used with a shield the Conquerer's Board and Nail provide the highest dps. Given the fact that there is a 20 level differential between the character and the weapon would this result in statistical inaccuracies such as the hit percentage being off because of use against mobs that are sooooo many levels higher than what the item is intended for? Just wondering because I don't know the various formulas that go into calculating the physics behind the game, and whether or not something such as this would make a difference or not.

Suentous PO
04-19-2013, 01:45 AM
I have a 29 bear that uses a shield, and of all the weapons I have that can be used with a shield the Conquerer's Board and Nail provide the highest dps. Given the fact that there is a 20 level differential between the character and the weapon would this result in statistical inaccuracies such as the hit percentage being off because of use against mobs that are sooooo many levels higher than what the item is intended for? Just wondering because I don't know the various formulas that go into calculating the physics behind the game, and whether or not something such as this would make a difference or not.
Hit percentage does not scale to level if that's what you mean. Although mobs dodge may increase map by map.
One thing that would become more noticeable is that dps will matter less. Because enemy mobs will have a higher armor rating.
Think of it this way, dps is how much you MIGHT do in that time frame. What makes more difference often is the damage range as opposed to the dps. A high dps that has a low damage value will not make it past the armor of the target sometimes.
Against mobs it's not so noticable, against bosses ( king and queen in the sewers comes to mind) it makes a huge difference.

Here is the advanced mechanics guide, parts vii and x, are relevant to your question.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?16817-Guide-to-Advanced-Mechanics-in-PL-DPS-Crits-etc.&highlight=boss+guide

Gideon Jean-Claude
04-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Hit percentage does not scale to level if that's what you mean. Although mobs dodge may increase map by map.
One thing that would become more noticeable is that dps will matter less. Because enemy mobs will have a higher armor rating.
Think of it this way, dps is how much you MIGHT do in that time frame. What makes more difference often is the damage range as opposed to the dps. A high dps that has a low damage value will not make it past the armor of the target sometimes.
Against mobs it's not so noticable, against bosses ( king and queen in the sewers comes to mind) it makes a huge difference.

Here is the advanced mechanics guide, parts vii and x, are relevant to your question.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?16817-Guide-to-Advanced-Mechanics-in-PL-DPS-Crits-etc.&highlight=boss+guide

Thank you so much for your helpful explaination. You thoroughly answered my question.

Suentous PO
04-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Anytime, have fun and happy hunting!