PDA

View Full Version : Noob with questions

sanchomundo
04-19-2013, 12:07 PM
So I am new to PL and to MMOs. I have no idea what I am doing. I chose the fox since it looked cool. I am now at Balefort castle, and I realize that the fox is not as good as pretty much any other class. This is compounded by the fact that I am pretty clueless. I rush into battle, use some skills pretty randomly, and then die. Sometimes, I end up tagging along with a group of Level 30+ superstars who destroy everything in their path, and I luck into completing a quest.

So, my questions:

1) Am I bothering these groups when I end up playing alongside them? I enjoy it every once in a while, but I will never be good enough to contribute to a team like that. If I'm just a nuisance, I would like to know. I have no idea what the etiquette is in an MMO.

2) Is DPS the only offensive stat to care about? Seems like "damage per second" trumps other things like damage or hit rate or ... am I right?

3) Am I right that the fox is the weakest class, or am I just too green to recognize the true power of the ranger? I see mages, archers, and bears come into crowded rooms and clear everything out easily. Not sure how I would ever do that with the ranger skills.

Thanks!

Cavoc
04-19-2013, 04:34 PM
1) You have every right to be there as they do. If they don't want you there, they will kick you.

2) Both dps and damage are both very vital. Sometimes with a dagger they will have low damage but high dps, because they attack really fast, so it's up to you faster and lower damage.. Or slower with higher damage.

3) The rhino and fox are the newest characters. They still need to be balanced and worked on. The Mage, bear, and bird have been in pl sense day one.

kcimythgim
04-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that dps affects the damage that you do normally, and the range if damage affects your skills' damage.

Xbuddyjosh
04-19-2013, 10:02 PM
The fox is totally CRAP until u hit 22. when u get to 22, respec ur skill points and max out rage tonic and fox howl. Then u will be good lol. Also max the dodge skill.

The Flash
04-21-2013, 03:59 AM
So I am new to PL and to MMOs. I have no idea what I am doing. I chose the fox since it looked cool. I am now at Balefort castle, and I realize that the fox is not as good as pretty much any other class. This is compounded by the fact that I am pretty clueless. I rush into battle, use some skills pretty randomly, and then die. Sometimes, I end up tagging along with a group of Level 30+ superstars who destroy everything in their path, and I luck into completing a quest.

So, my questions:

1) Am I bothering these groups when I end up playing alongside them? I enjoy it every once in a while, but I will never be good enough to contribute to a team like that. If I'm just a nuisance, I would like to know. I have no idea what the etiquette is in an MMO.

2) Is DPS the only offensive stat to care about? Seems like "damage per second" trumps other things like damage or hit rate or ... am I right?

3) Am I right that the fox is the weakest class, or am I just too green to recognize the true power of the ranger? I see mages, archers, and bears come into crowded rooms and clear everything out easily. Not sure how I would ever do that with the ranger skills.

Thanks!

1. You are probably not bothering them as it seem the level is to easy for them and you being there make no difference. However by doing that you are not learing the fundementals of the game and your class. I suggest you play in a level appropriate game and with people your own level so you learn to play the game and your character the best way possible.

2. NO All the offensive stats are equal or more important then DPS. Hit% is the most important of all as no matter how much damage you do if you can not hit your opponent it does not matter. As for damage it is very important as it has an effect on how much damage your skills do. Crit% is also good as it double the damage you do. Lastly DPS is also not so useful as it doesnt put into considaration the enemies armor or dodge.

3. You are to new to comperhend the usefulness of all character classes. There is no best class, all classes serve and have a purpose.

Loaden
04-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Get a f bow.

OverkillED
04-21-2013, 08:59 AM
The fox is totally CRAP until u hit 22. when u get to 22, respec ur skill points and max out rage tonic and fox howl. Then u will be good lol. Also max the dodge skill.

Actually my 19 fox was really good (even in PvP) and this was during the first month of their release too. I experimented with builds and foxes are very good.

You have every right to stay in a group. Every little bit helps. What I recommend for a new player at the fox class is to MAX evasion and put enough fury to get 100% or a little under/over. Have high armor shredder until you get to 22, and that's when you can start maxing rage tonic. Fox howl and hamstring are priorities after tonic and shredder are maxed. Time your evasion buff wisely, and stock up on potions, for the buff gives high dodge, but only lasts 3 seconds at a time. The importance of having high armor shredder until you get tonic is because mobs will be tough to kill without it. Armor shredder breaks down the targets' armor and weakens them for you. Hamstring will lower an opponents' dodge, and is great for taking down bosses. Fox howl is good area of effect damage. Have 1 in hypnotize until you max out priority skills. Hypnotize can stun an enemy, giving time to run away and use potions, or to get the opponent in range to leap at them. Damage, DPS, and hit should be balanced out. DPS (high speed weapons) are more important in lower levels, but once you get to 56 or so, the mobs get tougher and slower, harder hitting damaging weapons matter more. Hitrate is important to hit the enemy of course! :) Foxes are a rather new class, but can be strong when you get used to it. It has a higher skill cap in my opinion and is a rather hard to grasp. They're great with a mage/rhino healer to support them while they "assassinate" (leap) at the opponents and take em down!

Hope this helped! Pm me with any questions!

IGN (in-game name): OverkillDex (And the rest are in my signature)

sanchomundo
04-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all your answers. I will stick with my fox and make it work.

I have seen some powerful foxes in my adventures. They seem very good at darting in and out, leaping, and timing skills. I don't know that I will ever reach that level of coordination, but I appreciate the tips.

So, some follow up questions:

Some skills (evade, for example) seem to take a while to use. While my fox is howling, I am getting pounded, right? So does it do as much harm as good?

There are status icons that appear by the health bars. I looked on the forums but couldn't find a key for these icons. Can anyone point me toward a key?

Thanks again.

sanchomundo
04-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Time your evasion buff wisely

What is the proper timing for this skill? I am starting to jump in with the rabid bite/hamstring combo. Someone around here recommended that followed by evade. But when I hit evade, I get pounded while the fox is howling at the moon. Am I supposed to hit evade and then jump into the fray?

Xvanitykingx
04-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the forums and the game! :)

~Xvanitykingx

Oakwi
04-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the forums and Pocket Legends!

Battlegrinder
04-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all your answers. I will stick with my fox and make it work.

I have seen some powerful foxes in my adventures. They seem very good at darting in and out, leaping, and timing skills. I don't know that I will ever reach that level of coordination, but I appreciate the tips.

So, some follow up questions:

Some skills (evade, for example) seem to take a while to use. While my fox is howling, I am getting pounded, right? So does it do as much harm as good?

There are status icons that appear by the health bars. I looked on the forums but couldn't find a key for these icons. Can anyone point me toward a key?

Thanks again.

I don't know much about evade (try asking in the Ranger class discussion, they'll be able to help you with that). The Icons under your health bar represent active buffs, both the ones you cast on yourself, and the party buffs that mages and paladins will cast. There are three party buffs you'll take note of (Rhinos have 2, but Brute force is useless), everything else is self targeted and will be pretty easy to figure out. The small disc with a golden color around the bottom half is Blessing of Vitality, which givens a health and h/s bonus. The silver symbol is the mage's blessing of might, which gives a bonus to STR and armor. IF you see two of the silver symbol, that's the paladin Vital force buff, which gives a bonus to damage. It can be hard to tell if you have Blessing of Might if Vital force is also on, but as a general rule you will, since most mages will make sure the entire party has those buffs on all the time.

sanchomundo
04-24-2013, 12:05 PM
I don't know much about evade (try asking in the Ranger class discussion, they'll be able to help you with that). The Icons under your health bar represent active buffs, both the ones you cast on yourself, and the party buffs that mages and paladins will cast. There are three party buffs you'll take note of (Rhinos have 2, but Brute force is useless), everything else is self targeted and will be pretty easy to figure out. The small disc with a golden color around the bottom half is Blessing of Vitality, which givens a health and h/s bonus. The silver symbol is the mage's blessing of might, which gives a bonus to STR and armor. IF you see two of the silver symbol, that's the paladin Vital force buff, which gives a bonus to damage. It can be hard to tell if you have Blessing of Might if Vital force is also on, but as a general rule you will, since most mages will make sure the entire party has those buffs on all the time.

Thanks. Didn't even know there was a ranger class discussion. I'm on my way!

Battlegrinder
04-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks. Didn't even know there was a ranger class discussion. I'm on my way!

Glad you found it useful. You'll want to familiarize yourself with a few parts of the forums.

The class discussion forums are vital, since you need to know what your class can do, and what the other classes limits and strengths are, as well as what tactics you can expect to see and use.
Player guides is also useful, it has more general information than the class discussions, including forum info (thank system, controls, signatures, ect), trading, ect.
general discussion is also good, to keep track of what's going on in-game and on the forums.
PvP and guilds are sometimes worth it, sometimes not. It depends on if you're interested in PvP or looking for a guild.
Suggestions and feedback can be interesting, at the very least you'll pick up some useful information from the debates and discussions (like the discussion about endgame pvping and archers that, at the time of this posting, is still going strong).