PDA

View Full Version : Distance.

MurdocX
10-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm semi-new to PL, only been playing for a week and understand most of the game so feel free to give full explanations rather than dumbing them down. I have two questions first one is below this sentence, second will be the last sentence of my post!

Does distance have an effect on the amount of damage your Talon deals and if so does this rule only apply to the Talon?

I'm a lvl 36 DEX-based Birdie with the following:

STR: 16 (16 with my wing equipped, without it my STR is 11)
DEX: 176
INT: 11

Hit%: 155
Crit: 37
Dodge: 12
Health: 258
Regen: 5
Mana: 256
Regen: 1
Damage: 71-76
DPS: 122
Armor: 67

-------------------

Talon: Purple | Swampthorn Talon of the Eagle | Lvl 35 | 37-42 DMG | 0.6 SPD | +5 DEX | +3% Crit | +2 H/S
Wing: Purple | Frosty Snowbird Wing of the Bear | Lvl 30 | +5 STR | +3% Dodge | +2% Crit | + 13 ARM

-------------------

I've re-rolled about 4 to 5 times in the past week of me experimenting builds and reguardless of full dex or not, it doesn't seem to affect my Distance to Damage issue.

So my current current damage is 71 - 76 with 122 DPS.
If I'm at the furthest distance my Talon will throw at my damage output will be like this:
18 - 30 DMG, 3/5 of my talon throws will be dodged.
If I'm at the medium distance my Talon will throw at my damage output will be like this:
25 - 45 DMG, 1-2/5 of my Talon throws will be dodged.
If I'm at close range wth my Talon my damage output will be like this:
45 - 70 DMG, none of my Talon throws will be dodged.

I find myself having to use Thorn Root a lot of the time to avoid dodges followed by Armor Break to maintain regular damage output at further distances (pain in the arse & mana consuming). I'm not sure if the reason behind this is due to my set up, gear, the monsters, or the possibility that the Devs of a mobile MMO put partially realistic physics in their game.

Anyways, I like the talon but if I'm doing dungeons am I better off with a dagger to maintain the DPS or should I go back to cross bows? From what i've seen high DPS Birdies are more useful in a mage + tank party than regular bow birdies. So i'd like to maintain DPS but also deal optimal damage because I can't tank with my current gear.

Kingslaya
10-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Im not sure.. but i dont think distance is a factor of damage. Bows however do have a longer range then talons i believe.

cry
10-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Do talon, daggers are a nice idea, they do not work. Well that my opinion, raw damage beats dps. Well in PvP it does, a dagger bear is sometimes effective in PvE, but in my opinion if you want a dagger build a bear =X

goatycoady
10-08-2010, 12:21 AM
looks like we have a new royce:) you just talk like he does, idk i guess just really edcuated sounding, and putting lots of time and thought into thread.

MurdocX
10-08-2010, 12:55 AM
looks like we have a new royce:) you just talk like he does, idk i guess just really edcuated sounding, and putting lots of time and thought into thread.

Lol, thank you I guess but I'm not really smart to be quite honest with you. I'm just very over analytical about everything lol.
To put things in an anology-like perspective, Royce is a certified deep sea diver and I'm the little kid dipping his toes in the water.

Do talon, daggers are a nice idea, they do not work. Well that my opinion, raw damage beats dps. Well in PvP it does, a dagger bear is sometimes effective in PvE, but in my opinion if you want a dagger build a bear =X

Well I don't want to dagger, it was a suggestion I brought up as a last resort because I don't have the armor or money to support using a dagger long enough in a dungeon without continuously dying.

Im not sure.. but i dont think distance is a factor of damage. Bows however do have a longer range then talons i believe.

Well I know bows have longer range and if I recall I don't remember having damage to distance related issues as it was generally all the same damage no matter where I shot from. However, I've only been using Talons since expedition and now that I'm on AO1 I find with runs containing 100+ monsters after a while I get bored and notice little things. This is when I started noticing the damage change. At the moment the only effective method I have with my Talon on AO1 is using Thorn then rushing up close and running in circles around the monster while throwing. I feel that my talon would be way more useful if it were to hit consecutive damage at even mid-range distance.

It could be that it's AO1 and the mobs stats because if I recall I don't remember this happening in Expedition runs. But even in expedition the monsters stats varied largly. The mini-yeti could tank and it had high Armor, large yeti's had high HP, and archers had low armor and hp. Even with all of that the damage seemed all the same, no amazing gears either.

Arterra
10-08-2010, 07:17 AM
are you sure you arn't seeing someone else's damage? the time it takes you to get in could let them get in first.
I will try this too...

Xviperr
10-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Well, to hit it off, i suggest u get a M/s armor. i got one for sale(:
Mambaza's Croc Scale Leather
Level 35, 112 Dex 7 Int, 5 M/s, 38 Armor

i used that till L45 when i get my ISIS and THOTH gear up.
have been using TALON +WING since lvl30 from FrozenNightmare.
so at lvl35 i have TALON+WING of the Eagle = 4Hs
a Lv27 Sniper's Penguin Snowcap 7dex 3crit 2hs 6armor

so i have 6Hs 5Ms (:

i dont really realize the damage diff will check it out.
if ur interested in anything im selling just drop me a PM

MurdocX
10-08-2010, 10:49 AM
are you sure you arn't seeing someone else's damage? the time it takes you to get in could let them get in first.
I will try this too...

Yeah, I'm positive it's my own. I always try everything when I'm stumped before having to ask people about something. Tested both single & party runs and the only difference is how fast the monster is killed due to party mobbing.

However, as expected the damage does go up to around regular rates (when i'm at further distances) if I'm buffed with Focus. Unfortunately I used my last re-roll the night before and now Focus only has 1 point. Either way though, it's rather time consuming to consistantly use Focus, Thorn Root, and Armor break and have my mana drained faster than I can replenish it (even with +5 meditation). I would like to be able to use my talon without having to use too many (i'll still use them but not spam crazy at the rate I use spells now).

Well, to hit it off, i suggest u get a M/s armor. i got one for sale(:
Mambaza's Croc Scale Leather
Level 35, 112 Dex 7 Int, 5 M/s, 38 Armor

i used that till L45 when i get my ISIS and THOTH gear up.
have been using TALON +WING since lvl30 from FrozenNightmare.
so at lvl35 i have TALON+WING of the Eagle = 4Hs
a Lv27 Sniper's Penguin Snowcap 7dex 3crit 2hs 6armor

so i have 6Hs 5Ms (:

i dont really realize the damage diff will check it out.
if ur interested in anything im selling just drop me a PM

Lol no one ever sells my level equips whenever I look around in Haven. On the off chance that I find a seller of some pinkies for my level, they switch to capitalistic car sales man mode, and try to over price it WAY more than it costs. Then if I argue the true price I usually get a message somewhere along the lines of, "Noob, this gear is uber rare no one sells it that low!". Despite me just seeing the guy spamming a way cheaper price like, "S> lvl 30/35/40 pinks! 5-15k!".

I almost have your exact same set up gear-wise lol. I have the same wing, talon, and the pink lvl 27 helm. That armor you metioned would be the only difference with my current set up. I got a purple drop for some level 40 avian armor of finesse I was planning on using in a few levels lol.

But if you have items for sale I'd be glad to look at them if you'd be ok with that! My ingame name is MurdocX, just got fired recently so I'm online a lot as of late lol.

FluffNStuff
10-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Couple things:
What are the colors of the damage (some could be critical hits).
The reason you are seeing lower damage then expected is because you are hitting armor.
Are you testing on the same mobs under the same conditions? (Or Do you hit them from afar, then perhaps debuf armor, then move in close?)