PDA

View Full Version : Revelation: Why are in-game items so expensive!?

Zeus
05-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Greetings, AL players,

I'm sure many of you have looked at the mythic/arcane items in the Trader's Market & have often question why the items are so expensive! Well, during the founding of AL and even today, platinum had a lot of buying power in terms of gold to plat ratio.

As a result, a lot of AL's founding economy was generated from platinum. IF platinum purchases for gold was not introduced in the beginning of the game, the AL economy would not be so extreme.

If you look at the AL economy right now, there is a huge gap between the super wealthy, wealthy, average, and the poor players. Why? Because of money that came from outside factors. This money was not earned through gameplay, but through wallets.

As a result, a combination of how rare Arcane & Mystic items are, as well as the difficulty of earning gold has lead us into the predicament we are today.

So, to those that ask why are the in-game items so expensive? You, the players are to blame when prices were first set when the game was created.

Just some food for thought, enjoy!

Cheers,

~Apollo

xcainnblecterx
05-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Well pre release we were doing good 50-100k max for the best item. After the full release it went down hill lol. But yea you are right and sts mentioned more of what people pay for is more of stuff they will release and keep ie. locked crates

Wowsome
05-05-2013, 12:09 AM
This is exactly why I liked season 2 the best. No locked crates. No mythic. No arcane. Then Hammerjaw came along and that was the beginning of the end.

Another contributing factor is the ten-fold increase in the maximum gold one can hold per account - 9.99m to 99.99m.

Alhuntrazeck
05-05-2013, 12:28 AM
You actually created a thread about this o.O
A lot of players in AL have lots of gold without spending platinum. Including me. Just saying.
Also. I think I read somewhere that AL was originally going to become a plat-free game; with plat being used only for vanities. Well, we know how that turned out.

Wowsome
05-05-2013, 12:44 AM
A lot of players in AL have lots of gold without spending platinum. Including me. Just saying.

I know that very few selected players had a total of >10m spread across multiple accounts back in season 2 when the gold cap was 9.99m - all of it from farming/merching.

Look at it now, 30-40m for one arcane weapon that will probably not be the best in a couple of seasons!? I find it hard to believe anyone can spend that much gold without plat conversion.

matanofx
05-05-2013, 12:50 AM
some people just got lucky, buying glacian/hooks/hammerjaw from someone unaware of forums for the price of 1-2mil and sold for.. ridic amount of gold

i do feel that buying gold for plat is a bit like shooting yourself in the lag, you buy outside gold you eventually make prices go up for you and everyone else

not to mention its a gate way for scammers to ruin sts's credit with some companties.

Natrich
05-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Look at it now, 30-40m for one arcane weapon that will probably not be the best in a couple of seasons!? I find it hard to believe anyone can spend that much gold without plat conversion.

The hooks are probably going to be lame next cap, but the arcane hammer is going to be the best for a LONG time

Jcyee
05-05-2013, 01:35 AM
This is exactly why I liked season 2 the best. No locked crates. No mythic. No arcane. Then Hammerjaw came along and that was the beginning of the end.

Another contributing factor is the ten-fold increase in the maximum gold one can hold per account - 9.99m to 99.99m.

Ikr! Everything seemed so perfect then. Elites weren't too bad, especially since people farmed both Elite Jarl and Dead City. I miss those days.

Jurassic45
05-05-2013, 02:31 AM
I too miss those elite days in Brackenridge-Brackenridge and Dead City. It's a shame they didn't increase the level of the mobs including the loot. Now the costs have went way up for a run in elite and it does take quite some time. I think AL could take an example of other mmo's etc. Where you can only buy additional merchandise and a few thing in-game,without any advantage of it. On the otherside, platinum is very expensive and they give some sort of compensation for that. But the secrion of being able to buy gold, and many others, should be corrected and preferably gone. The prices nowadays are getting ridiculous!

ShadowGunX
05-05-2013, 06:59 AM
where on earth sme ppl got 50mil+ . if ppl doesnt buy gold by plat?
its probably coz of al hack tool.

chitgoks
05-05-2013, 07:25 AM
lol hack tool. good one. maybe

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Infrico
05-05-2013, 07:29 AM
To be honest, im not a plat buyer but im I like plat buyers :) they increase the availability of items. If you want to buy them, farm gold :D. I like how the watch crates change twinking aswell, although, I dislike how AL devs are increasing stats for every new set they introduce :-/ keep it the same respective to that level range, just change the look! One main reason I went to twink PvP was to avoid high costs of buying new gears!

Alhuntrazeck
05-05-2013, 07:29 AM
I think items at the beginning of the game were easily obtained. And were later sold for super high prices. My theory, I wasn't a founder (:()

Rare
05-05-2013, 11:11 AM
You actually created a thread about this o.O
Also. I think I read somewhere that AL was originally going to become a plat-free game; with plat being used only for vanities. Well, we know how that turned out.

That's not what he's saying. Gold generation is bad in this game. So those millions and millions came from somewhere right? The origin of the gold is the concern

Rare
05-05-2013, 11:26 AM
To be honest, im not a plat buyer but im I like plat buyers :) they increase the availability of items. If you want to buy them, farm gold :D. I like how the watch crates change twinking aswell, although, I dislike how AL devs are increasing stats for every new set they introduce :-/ keep it the same respective to that level range, just change the look! One main reason I went to twink PvP was to avoid high costs of buying new gears!

Then what's the incentive for play new content? Everyone will be running jarl constantly.

Lady_Pebbles
05-05-2013, 06:39 PM
I suspect the new gold cqp has a lot to do with it too. I mean come on, its hard enough tryin to make -and- keep 100k without having to feed pets during long pvp matches. Let alone trying to farm for gold drops on maps (which btw barely drops), AND do daily quests (some have 500g or 1k quests), AND any type of drops without buying elixirs... Especially for those of us who are truely casual players. Hell even the regular klaas/shaz elixirs don't reroll sometimes (like 2/3 rerolls into greens... Yippie #sarcasm -.-).

shadow90
05-05-2013, 08:29 PM
There should be a limit to how much you can sell an item.
Not everyone is rich and has 1m

drgrimmy
05-05-2013, 09:16 PM
That's not what he's saying. Gold generation is bad in this game. So those millions and millions came from somewhere right? The origin of the gold is the concern

This is the issue. It is nearly impossible to generate gold on runs and quest due to the costs
of pots and pets. The only way to make money from farming is to sell looted legendary items.
But the gold that someone used to buy those items had to come from somewhere. In PL you could
make a significant amount of gold from from gold drops from enemies and from liquidating junk
items. You could also farm potions and stockpile them. It does not seem really feasible to do this
in AL. So where did all of the gold come from? I think the OP is suggesting that it all comes from plat
to gold conversion and the 25k you get in legendary packs. I would have to agree with this... Amazing
to think that the millions or more like billions of gold out there all came from plat purchases!

Temarichan
05-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I fully agree on your complaint on gold generation within the game. I'm almost forced to buy platinum. :/
Been stocking on free platinum to reduce my real money spending. Which has been successful. I have not spent more than 2$ on platinum.

BUT.

Free offers these days has been outrageous. Basically, it says it's free but you have to place an 'order' or 'buy' items within the free offer.

Quests should give out at least 5 times more gold. At least in this season! When the economy in Arcane Legends is like....serious inflation....

LwMark
05-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Makin gold isnt that hard, i saved up enough for a mythic war helm (2.75) when i had only 600k, then i bought it now i have 1.8 saved up an that was only 1 week agp, im still level 26 an not farmed AT ALL

drgrimmy
05-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Yes, merching items is a good way of making gold, but I think this is missing the point of the thread.
All that gold that you made through merching had to come from somewhere, and it most certainly
did not come from people liquidating items and collecting gold from quests. I think the point of the
thread is that the vast amounts of gold in the economy and the resultant inflated prices of gear is
related to the good plat to gold conversion rate and an influx of gold from plat purchases.

Rare
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
, but I think this is missing the point of the thread.

Indeed

Chaim Nail
05-06-2013, 12:32 PM
I've been doing a lot of farming of lvl8-lvl16 elite items recently and merching them, making pocket change really and only occasionally finding stuff that can get me a few thousand. Farming legendary items is a tough slog on the upper levels, so much so that I don't do higher levels oten because from the boss I'm often given the weapon equivilant of "Breadstick of Lunch" or "Wet Noodle of Soup" which can only be liquidated for a few gold, making me feel my time & potions were wasted.

If everyone started getting significant amounts of gold from daily quests I wonder what would happen to the economy...

jtst
05-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I've been doing a lot of farming of lvl8-lvl16 elite items recently and merching them, making pocket change really and only occasionally finding stuff that can get me a few thousand. Farming legendary items is a tough slog on the upper levels, so much so that I don't do higher levels oten because from the boss I'm often given the weapon equivilant of "Breadstick of Lunch" or "Wet Noodle of Soup" which can only be liquidated for a few gold, making me feel my time & potions were wasted.

If everyone started getting significant amounts of gold from daily quests I wonder what would happen to the economy...

If daily quests give a lot of gold (for example 5x more), then: normal legendaries and cheap pets would cost significantly more (about 5x more), elite legendaries would cost like 3-4x more, and top arcane items will cost only 2-3x more, because not much people would buy 30mil gold for plat. In overall such economy would be far more healthy and casual-players-friendly. You will not think twice to go to elite dungeon or not, cause you have enough gold for potions and to feed your pet. Poor players would have possibility to have 1-2 good pets and not rotate them cause they would afford to feed em.

Chaim Nail
05-07-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm back on this subject having seen a lvl31 Uller's Antiquated Plate of Savvy currently in the Consignment Store I would love to have, but one minor drawback, the price...

FIFTEEN MILLION!!!

http://www.haku.co.uk/b3ta/Nasty.jpg

If you buy gold with platinum that equates to 15000 plat, you can buy 1700 plat for $89.99 USD so you'd have to buy that 9 times over, reducing your bank balance by $809.91 USD.

Insane doesn't even begin to cover it.

It also begs the question: if you're the seller and it sells, what do you do with so much gold?

LwMark
05-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I WANNA SEE THE FIRST PERSON WITH GOLD CAP, unless there is someone already, they shoukd make it a achievement, sts would bank, so many people would buy 1000$s worth if plat to get it

Snakespeare
05-07-2013, 05:23 PM
I think I read somewhere that AL was originally going to become a plat-free game...

Nah, it was that you couldn't buy plat during beta test. They would never have even suggested being plat free.

cookiez
05-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Greetings, AL players,

I'm sure many of you have looked at the mythic/arcane items in the Trader's Market & have often question why the items are so expensive! Well, during the founding of AL and even today, platinum had a lot of buying power in terms of gold to plat ratio.

As a result, a lot of AL's founding economy was generated from platinum. IF platinum purchases for gold was not introduced in the beginning of the game, the AL economy would not be so extreme.

If you look at the AL economy right now, there is a huge gap between the super wealthy, wealthy, average, and the poor players. Why? Because of money that came from outside factors. This money was not earned through gameplay, but through wallets.

As a result, a combination of how rare Arcane & Mystic items are, as well as the difficulty of earning gold has lead us into the predicament we are today.

So, to those that ask why are the in-game items so expensive? You, the players are to blame when prices were first set when the game was created.

Just some food for thought, enjoy!

Cheers,

~Apollo

+1 this sucks seeing stuff in cs for 69 mil.

Chaim Nail
05-07-2013, 06:46 PM
After a few quick calculations it works out that if you buy plat (1700 every purchase) to turn into gold then 1m gold costs you about $53 USD, so a 69m item would cost you $3657 USD.

If STS thought about it they could introduce a new incentive for selling high value things in the store, by giving the buyer the choice of spending gold or plat directly for the item so the seller gets to keep a large cut of the plat themselves.

cookiez
05-07-2013, 07:04 PM
After a few quick calculations it works out that if you buy plat (1700 every purchase) to turn into gold then 1m gold costs you about $53 USD, so a 69m item would cost you $3657 USD.

If STS thought about it they could introduce a new incentive for selling high value things in the store, by giving the buyer the choice of spending gold or plat directly for the item so the seller gets to keep a large cut of the plat themselves.
Wholly "!!!