PDA

View Full Version : muted for a non bad word?

ixfarmxdeaths
05-06-2013, 07:26 PM
hello sts, i'm just wondering why i was muted on my character named ixlovexdeaths.

i was farming deaths this morning and a L.23 bear joined. he raged, autoed, beckoned and stomped me (didn't even take me to half health and i wasnt using any gear)
so i said "goddamn your beckon is weak" and got muted, how is goddamn a bad word? after my mute finished i seen a player say "ur fckin dead" and another player say something on the line of "cuase ur a pussi buffer and ran"

goddamn gets you muted but saying the F bomb and P word doesn't?

can you sort your crap out with this auto mute, there are alot of words that should mute you that doesn't. i'm sick of getting muted for saying words like goddamn and yet people can say ***, crap, the F bomb ect ect freely and not get banned (this would be an email but email is blocked at course)

ixfarm/love/wantxdeaths out

Suentous PO
05-07-2013, 12:26 AM
First I don't believe that's all that bad a word either, but it is offensive specifically to some religions, so not gonna fly understandably.
Here's why it would be so hard; that word is common, while all of those ways of misspelling common "bad" words are as limitless as the boredom and free time of any kid. Known words should be censored for this mostly young multi age game.
Pick any bad word and I can come up with a paragraph of variations to slip past a filter.
Now factor in that we have a game that spans the world. Now THAT filter would prevent you from sayin a lot of common things.
Some words inadvertently make cuss words just because two separate words happen to be next to each other.
Too big a filter, I assume, would make normal chat a pain.
-my guess

Phoenixking
05-07-2013, 12:35 AM
hello sts, i'm just wondering why i was muted on my character named ixlovexdeaths.

i was farming deaths this morning and a L.23 bear joined. he raged, autoed, beckoned and stomped me (didn't even take me to half health and i wasnt using any gear)
so i said "goddamn your beckon is weak" and got muted, how is goddamn a bad word? after my mute finished i seen a player say "ur fckin dead" and another player say something on the line of "cuase ur a pussi buffer and ran"

goddamn gets you muted but saying the F bomb and P word doesn't?

can you sort your crap out with this auto mute, there are alot of words that should mute you that doesn't. i'm sick of getting muted for saying words like goddamn and yet people can say ***, crap, the F bomb ect ect freely and not get banned (this would be an email but email is blocked at course)

ixfarm/love/wantxdeaths out
The G word is actually a bad word if you're Christian, damning something is telling god to curse it or something a long those lines

Ks_Leon
05-07-2013, 04:56 AM
well...actually i got the same mute as you...i said like what u said at top(not gonna type it).....and boom...got ban chat for 30min....dont know its a bannable word......

Ujustgotnuked
05-07-2013, 07:07 AM
The G word is actually a bad word if you're Christian, damning something is telling god to curse it or something a long those lines

Im a catholic and i say that word alot of times, i cant see why its bad at all.

Trenton
05-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Im a catholic and i say that word alot of times, i cant see why its bad at all. Understand this- I'm NOT saying anything about you and your religion, but you should probably know that GD or just saying God's name in vein is a sin. Not trying to get this into a religious war on game forums, but it is bad.

ixfarmxdeaths
05-07-2013, 07:41 AM
It may be bad to Christians but I just don't see how it can be an auto mute word. Not everyone believes in a god (I don't believe in any god), I too don't want to start a religious war but I just don't see how it's a bad word. Maybe if I was a Christian I'd understand why it's bad, but since I'm not, I don't see why.

Cavoc
05-07-2013, 07:46 AM
well...actually i got the same mute as you...i said like what u said at top(not gonna type it).....and boom...got ban chat for 30min....dont know its a bannable word......

30 minutes..? I've never been muted for longer than 5

Suentous PO
05-07-2013, 08:18 AM
It may be bad to Christians but I just don't see how it can be an auto mute word. Not everyone believes in a god (I don't believe in any god), I too don't want to start a religious war but I just don't see how it's a bad word. Maybe if I was a Christian I'd understand why it's bad, but since I'm not, I don't see why.

The same way some racial terms are not offensive to some and are used in different ways. That doesn't mean we can throw them around casually here. You have to try to see it from others perspectives.

Ks_Leon
05-07-2013, 10:06 AM
30 minutes..? I've never been muted for longer than 5

In 2012 or 2011...i still newbie and said some bad word...then the system said i got banned chat for 30min...in 2013...i got banned chat and dont see the period of banned chat...so i assume that the period of banned is 30 min...dont know its only 5 min in 2013...hehehe...xD

Sus
05-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Understand this- I'm NOT saying anything about you and your religion, but you should probably know that GD or just saying God's name in vein is a sin. Not trying to get this into a religious war on game forums, but it is bad.

Good explanation.

Oldcoot
05-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Using The Lords name in vain is the worst thing a true Christian can do. I hope you can refrain from using that word. In my book it's the worst curse word of all. If you don't believe in god then why would you ask him to dam something?

Snakespeare
05-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Of all the curses you could attempt to put on someone (which is entirely possible if they believe you), eternal damnation is tops. Far better if you had cursed him to have a bad case of flatulence. In fact, with the purchase of an emote pack, you needn't even curse him, you could just lay out a eye-watering gastric emanation and clear the room! It really takes zero creativity to just go for the max curse first. That's like jumping straight to a triple-dog-dare.

Anyway, I have a shirt that says my old Portland Beavers team played Dam Good Baseball. And I have seen a player named Dayem. So my guess is it's the appeal to the divine that makes your curse a mute word. It doesn't matter if you believe in the divine. A curse works only when the recipient believes it. So in short it is partly an attack on someone else's beliefs, so it's disallowed!

Walkhardd
05-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Of all the curses you could attempt to put on someone (which is entirely possible if they believe you), eternal damnation is tops. Far better if you had cursed him to have a bad case of flatulence. In fact, with the purchase of an emote pack, you needn't even curse him, you could just lay out a eye-watering gastric emanation and clear the room! It really takes zero creativity to just go for the max curse first. That's like jumping straight to a triple-dog-dare.

Anyway, I have a shirt that says my old Portland Beavers team played Dam Good Baseball. And I have seen a player named Dayem. So my guess is it's the appeal to the divine that makes your curse a mute word. It doesn't matter if you believe in the divine. A curse works only when the recipient believes it. So in short it is partly an attack on someone else's beliefs, so it's disallowed!

Straight up. Only noobs go right to the triple dog dare.

MightyMicah
05-07-2013, 12:26 PM

This. I'm a Christian and honestly that's the most horrible thing you could say to anyone. I realize some people don't take it offensively, but I believe in God and I believe in Hell. Neither one are things to joke about or take lightly.

Zeus
05-07-2013, 12:30 PM
There are multiple religions in this world, correct? As a result, due to this being a universal MMORPG, we will have players with multiple religions playing this game.

So, the phrase mentioned above [not mentioning it out of respect to other's religion(s)] should not be looked at from solely a christian perspective.

In my opinion, if a christian says said phrase to another christian, offense should be taken because both parties are aware of it's meaning & weight as well as also being followers of that religion. However, everyone else should be allowed to use it (as long as it is allowed in their religion). Why should one religion have an influence over other player(s)' customs, practices, and utterances? It really should have no influence at all if one is speaking from a non-biased perspective.

So, I think that mute filter is biased towards religion. Now, if all offensive religious phrases were banned, that would be a completely different story because then, all religion(s)' customs and practices will be treated with respect equally.

That being said, since this is a religious debate now, this thread will most likely be locked.

Ujustgotnuked
05-07-2013, 12:35 PM
As i said before, im catholic, and everyone else in my year and the years above and below are almost all catholic and believe in god like me, but we still say GD all the time and dont take it offensively......(catholic is a christian that is like a Protestant but have differences such as praying to Mary)

Samhayne
05-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Don't use bad words, and you won't get muted.

From the Pocket Legends Terms of Service (that you agree to abide by every time you log in)

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?11694-Pocket-Legends-Terms-of-Service

Spacetime Studios wants Pocket Legends to be a fun, safe place for all players!

We ask that you abide by the following rules:

Keep all chat clean!
Do not ask for another player's account information! And don’t give anyone else your own!
Do not do anything that will ruin another user's play experience!
Abide by our Terms of Use and Community Rules

Violations of these Terms of Service, Terms of Use or Community Rules can result in suspension of your account or a permanent ban.

Please see the above URL for the full details.

Thread closed.