PDA

View Full Version : How long exactly does one need to hold down an attack to get it "charged"?

Theorems
05-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Hello All,

I was wondering if there was any documentation from STS, OR from any pro-users out there that might know EXACTLY how long it takes to charge a skill? Another related question is: How long is the global cooldown?

I know this is something most people do not consider because we usually just hold down the button until the bar fills up. However, I am creating a spreadsheet to try to mathematically figure out optimal rotations for different situations, including whether or not it makes sense to charge a skill or spam individual skills and using the time between skills to spam auto attacks, or even charge auto attacks.

I can also obviously just estimate, or sit with a stop watch and time how long I have to press (which I have done), but its not very accurate and I have found a lot of times the skill will still go off as "charged" even when the bar only gets roughly 80% full. I am sure latency affects things as well.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated! If no one knows, I'll just do some more tests and come up with estimated numbers.

Thanks!

Cero
05-06-2013, 08:59 PM
im not sure the exact time for a full charge skill/attack but the fastest to charge are the warrior class.

i noticed as a mage/warrior charging attack/gunshot has delays if you're too close.
in pve with my warrior when i use skyward i then start charging while in mid air to cancel the delay.

Teoijio
05-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I too am curious about this. I've never heard about any documentation either. I do know that at least at higher levels, higher dps seems to translate to faster charges and weapons with lower dps but higher damage values have slow charges (warrior hammers/mauls come to mind). But that might not be universal.

Theorems
05-07-2013, 12:48 AM
I too am curious about this. I've never heard about any documentation either. I do know that at least at higher levels, higher dps seems to translate to faster charges and weapons with lower dps but higher damage values have slow charges (warrior hammers/mauls come to mind). But that might not be universal.

Really? You are saying weapon speed appears to affect the duration needed to charge an attack. That would be quite interesting if true. I would be willing to perform some tests if anyone has recommendations for very slow, hard hitting weapons and faster, lighter hitting weapons.

Altic
05-07-2013, 01:50 AM
I second what Teoijio said.
On my rogue, bows: higher damage, lower damage per SECOND (i feel like a unit of measurement of time is relevant here lol) take longer to charge.
And daggers: lower damage, but higher dps charge quicker.
Also on my warrior one handed weapons with a shield charge faster than a two handed weapon.
I don't know though if charging time can vary between the different types of similar weapons. Like a Bonechill Bow of Potency compared to a Northern Bow of Brutality, both being the same level.

Infrico
05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
1.74995229 seconds

Theorems
05-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the constructive feedback. Looks like we won't get any feedback from STS, and naturally players won't know the exact answer.

When I get some time, I'll pick up a few faster and slower weapons for each class and run some tests.

If anyone else has any suggestions or comments, please add to the thread - For Example, weapons they would like to see tested/compared.

Lalarie
05-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Chillbone bow to mountain teeth would be a good comparison

Theorems
05-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Chillbone bow to mountain teeth would be a good comparison

Thanks for the suggestion. Luckily, I happen to have both Chillbone bow and mountain teeth already!

Erdnase
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Yes, from what ive seen, teo is right. Of course the higher dps (dmg per second) the quicker the ability to spam the attack, but i do believe it affects the charge time as well. So likely, the main attack speed will just be dependent on the char in question.

Valsacar
05-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Such a spreadsheet already exists, for Sorcerers. Go look in our section of the forums and you'll see it.