PDA

View Full Version : "paki"

yuriramos
05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi,
Id like to teach you about the word "paki" in my native language ( filipino ). It means "please". I dont know what it means in other languages but every time i say "paki", i get muted for 5 mins. This happens everyday. I hope devs can fix this for us filipinos. Thanks.

Yakiniku
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Haha ouch. I googled the word though, and it does carry negative connotations in other cultures unfortunately. While it might not mean anything bad in Tagalog, it does mean something really bad in British English.

Not sure what STS can do about something like that. I don't think there's a "Pinoy ako" in the social options menu. :p

yuriramos
05-08-2013, 08:03 PM
You try to be polite but end up getting muted hehe

Altic
05-09-2013, 02:13 AM
Well, considering the majority of players in this game ARE english speaking, and you clearly know english, just say "please" perhaps?
And if that sounds too "prejudice", you can simply stick to speaking Filipino in private messages with others whom you know also speak Filipino (As not to risk offending someone with certain words which can have dual meanings in multiple languages.).

DocDoBig
05-09-2013, 05:39 AM
That's indeed a bad word!
Paki is an insult against Pakistani like the N-word against Africans or Jap against Japanese.
I recommend what the others said above.

yuriramos
05-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Yea i just say "please" instead but sometimes i forget... im sure there are similar issues like this and safest way to go is to adjust than risk offending others.

Altic
05-10-2013, 03:23 AM
Yea i just say "please" instead but sometimes i forget... im sure there are similar issues like this and safest way to go is to adjust than risk offending others.

Or have multiple specific servers for other common languages in the game. I especially notice a large amount of Filipinos, why is that? I've never noticed it in other MMO-RPGS lol.
But then again those games did have a lot of different servers to chose from.