PDA

View Full Version : Why do you put periods at the end of your senetence?

Facepook
05-16-2013, 11:09 PM
I've always wondered this, is it a sign to show that your annoyed?

Like in pvp, some pvper put periods at the end of every post. Example, you say ”Go” to someone and they say ”Go.”, does that mean that they just don't want to battle with you, or are they annoyed with you?

Usually when I'm pvping, I like battling the same people over and over again, but soon after a few battles, they will start to put periods at the end, thats when I stop calling to them

I try to fray away from putting periods in my posts, they look at bit intimadating if you use them in a certain way. So I'm just wondering, if you put periods at the end of your senetences, whats the meaning of you doing so?

A pvper in game told me when I asked him, that it's ”correct punctuation”, but I think he uses them when he gets a bit annoyed

So if you use periods marks in pvp, or forums, why so?

ThePvpTwink
05-16-2013, 11:23 PM
WHy did u use periods and commas? It's correct grammar and makes u look better :p

Phoenixking
05-16-2013, 11:51 PM
WHy did u use periods and commas? It's correct grammar and makes u look better :p
What he means is why do some people start saying go then transition to go. Later like they don't want to fight, and if you have reasons for using it other then correct grammar

Zeus
05-16-2013, 11:54 PM
If you practice good grammar etiquette regularly, it will help improve your formal writing skills should the need to use them every arise.

Also, it really doesn't take much time to add in a comma or period (double-tapping the space bar). Personally, when I type, I already know instinctively where to put the grammar, so it really does not take extra time.

Facepook
05-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Commas are my substitute for periods;)

But I mainly want to know why some people say ”Go.”, while getting challenged, or challenging a player for match

Zeus
05-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Commas are my substitute for periods;)

But I mainly want to know why some people say ”Go.”, while getting challenged, or challenging a player for match

One tool cannot substitute the other tool all the time.

Also, "Go." is a command. In your school, they should have taught you about one word sentences, correct? If I'm not mistaken, "Go." categorizes as a one word sentence. Although, if they used an exclamation mark, it would be less intimidating. I think the main reason why people use "Go." versus "Go!" is because double tapping the spacebar to produce a period is just too easy.

Facepook
05-17-2013, 12:11 AM
What he means is why do some people start saying go then transition to go. Later like they don't want to fight, and if you have reasons for using it other then correct grammar

Oh ok thanks for the clarification, I wasn't to sure about it so I had to ask

Guess I'll try to take a new approach in pvp, thanks again phoniexking:)

NotYoCookiez
05-17-2013, 04:53 AM
Lolol i so get what you mean. It isn't about them caring about there grammer. Everything sounds so much seriouser with a period at the end. When they start putting periods at the end I feel like they are anonnoyed too lol

The Happiness
05-17-2013, 05:31 AM
Lolol, I so get what you mean. It isn't about them caring about their grammar. Everything sounds much more serious with a period at the end. When they start putting periods at the end, I feel like they are annoyed too, lol.

Fixed! Couldn't resist. Sorry. Forgive? :)

Roberto077
05-17-2013, 05:32 AM
It signifies the ending of a thought improving organization and etiquette.

DocDoBig
05-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Don't wake the grammar Nazi inside me.

A grammar Nazi knows the difference between "there", "their" and "they're".
A grammar Nazi knows the difference between "your", "ur" and "you're".

Just kidding, in all seriousness, you represent yourself in the interweb with chatting, with proper grammar you look beside more mature, more intelligent as well.
Just use the correct punctuation here and there and everything seems easier.

Phoenixking
05-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Lolol i so get what you mean. It isn't about them caring about there grammer. Everything sounds so much seriouser with a period at the end. When they start putting periods at the end I feel like they are anonnoyed too lol
I think it's funny how a lot of people don't get it, I usually think it's because they are trying to be more serious

Roberto077
05-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Don't wake the grammar Nazi inside me.

A grammar nazi knows the difference between "there", "their" and "they're".
A grammar nazi knows the difference between "your", "ur" and "you're".

A true grammar nazi should put the comma/period inside the quotation marks and use the Oxford Comma. :)

The Happiness
05-17-2013, 10:09 AM
A true grammar nazi should put the comma/period inside the quotation marks and use the Oxford Comma. :)

Actually, it depends on whether you are using American English and placing commas conventionally or whether you are using British English and placing them logically. Just saying. ;p

DocDoBig
05-17-2013, 10:14 AM
See, i always cause discussions about grammar. ;)

The Happiness
05-17-2013, 10:25 AM
See, i always cause discussions about grammar. ;)

Discussions are good! :)

DocDoBig
05-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Discussions are good! :)

Is it ''indefinable'' or ''undefinable''?

MightyMicah
05-17-2013, 10:44 AM
I've always wondered this, is it a sign to show that your annoyed?

Like in pvp, some pvp put periods at the end of every post. Example, you say ”Go” to someone and they say ”Go.”, does that mean that just don't want to battle with you, or are they just annoyed with you?

Usually when I'm pvping, I like battling the same people over and over again, but soon after a few battles, they will start to put periods at the end, thats when I stop calling to them

I try to fray away from putting period marks in my posts, they look at bit intimadating if you use them in a certain way. So I'm just wondering, if you put periods at the end of your senetences, whats your meaning of doing it?

A pvper in game told me when I asked him, that it's ”correct punctuation”, but I think he uses them when he gets a bit annoyed of me calling for a battle with him

So if you use periods marks in pvp, or forums, why so?

As a general rule I always use periods. I guess I just like to use correct grammar. A lot of times I get lazy and forget to put periods, though. So I guess it just depends.

Roberto077
05-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Actually, it depends on whether you are using American English and placing commas conventionally or whether you are using British English and placing them logically. Just saying. ;p

Either way, the person will still be a grammar nazi :)

The Happiness
05-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Is it ''indefinable'' or ''undefinable''?

I have always believed they are interchangeable. But, I would use indefinable (being British). However, there is another train of thought that suggests that indefinable means that which cannot be described by me, and undefinable means that which cannot be described by me or anyone.

Fusionstrike
05-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I try to fray away from putting period marks in my posts, they look at bit intimadating if you use them in a certain way.

I can only imagine the terror one could inspire by breaking out a semi-colon.

MightyMicah
05-17-2013, 02:28 PM

Grammar humor :D

Mystiq
05-17-2013, 02:31 PM

::::::: feel the wrath of my FULL colon:::::::

Zeus
05-17-2013, 03:19 PM
::::::: feel the wrath of my FULL colon:::::::

No thanks, that'd be one nasty dump.

Suentous PO
05-17-2013, 03:39 PM
note; i abuse the kings english often and with joy, however this

If you practice good grammar etiquette regularly, it will help improve your formal writing skills should the need to use them every arise.

made me laugh because its about eloquence and either spellcheck screwed you or you didint notice you didnt write "ever arise".

on a different forum i frequent one of their definitions of trolling is nitpicking grammar.
sorry irony made me post

Mystiq
05-17-2013, 03:41 PM

made me laugh because its about eloquence and either spellcheck screwed you or you didint notice you didnt write "ever arise".

on a different forum i frequent one of their definitions of trolling is nitpicking grammar.
sorry irony made me post

Some dev needs to change your title to " Dat Grammar Guy" ;)

Zeus
05-17-2013, 04:03 PM

sorry irony made me post

Spell check screwed me, haha.

NotYoCookiez
05-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Fixed! Couldn't resist. Sorry. Forgive? :)

Lol thanks. I should pay more attention in English class lol