PDA

View Full Version : Need a new type of loot system, please read.

Cremated
05-18-2013, 10:36 AM
I myself am fustrated when i recieve loot that is not valuable when you work your but of to complete a map so here are some other loot systems we could use?

There are obviously multiple ways in which this decision can be made. Systems range from a reflex based, first come first serve method to an almost dictatorship-like system where the appointed leader of the group awards the loot to players he or she feels deserve it. However, most players enjoy a system that gives equal chance to all who were involved and removes any real or perceived favoritism from the decision.

"First Come First Served"
The most simple loot system is one of anarchy. The players who have the fastest reflexes to perform the action necessary to receive the loot do so. This has several obvious downfalls which tends to aggravate players:
Reaction time is often hindered by outside forces such as lag or other game mechanics.
It can ruin the cooperative nature that many players enjoy about this genre.

"Need Before Greed"
The vast majority of MMORPG games have some sort of class system, where each player can choose a class which allows them certain skills, as well as placing certain restrictions on which items the player can use. Players of a certain class also prefer items which have attributes which improve statistics which give benefit to the primary skills of their class. Thus, each player often does not desire the same item, as a group of players generally has several of these classes in its makeup. However, many items also have some value in the in-game currency, so there is often some interest in the item from all players involved. The "Need Before Greed" system allows players who will make the most use of the items have priority over those who only desire the item for its monetary value, such that only the subset of players who will benefit the most are allowed to "roll" for the item. If no players desire the item, then a pure random system is used to determine who obtains the item for its monetary value. This system can be very straightforward and simple, especially in smaller groups of players where perhaps only two or three players desire the same item. However, this system also has some perceived downfalls which tend to aggravate players:
Deciding "Need" can be a difficult task due to the different playstyles and overlapping class needs and restrictions that exist in game mechanics. This can (and does) cause heated debates about which player receives the most benefit from an item.
Players can deceive other players in the group about their need, when they really desire the item for its monetary value.
No consideration is given to players who have completed the content many times compared to players who have only completed the content a few times.
There is no cost involved in the act of rolling, nor any influence on the ability to get loot in the future, so there is little reason not to attempt to obtain any item you could reasonably use.
These perceived downfalls often cause various extra restrictions to be placed on the system such as:
Democratic decisions on which player has the most "need".
Restrictions on the number of items a player can get during one time period.

Source: WIKIPEDIA

Zheng An Peter Han
05-18-2013, 11:26 AM
i notice something about the loot system..when i deal the most dmg to the boss, i usually receive lousy loot,
however when i do the least, i receive the best loot..
(half of the times)

i wonder why...lols..

Rare
05-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Meh. Neither suggestion is appealing to me. Just my opinion. The only true way to make it fair is to make it unfair for everyone (random).

Also, if they change it so you are rewarded everytime you work your butt off, whatever it is you are rewarded with will become worthless.

Xeriuss
05-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Please never ever change the loot system to 'first come first serve'...

This will only end in hackers working on 'loot pick up bots'...

I know several games where ppl are using those bots in games which have the 'first come first serve loot system'

A human has absolutely no chance to compete against those bots coz they grab the loot in milliseconds.

GoodSyntax
05-18-2013, 01:58 PM
If you look at it logically, this game needs two things to keep the economy and the players balanced, and they are a loot system that offers quality gear, and a gold sink, to reduce the amount of gold in circulation.

With that being said, perhaps we could consider an arena style quest, where you face waves of mobs and bosses of increasing difficulty. The farther you progress, the better the type of loot that you would receive. Obviously, this would have to be a single person quest, and you would have to pay to play. So if you are capped, lets say that you pay 10k for a chance to play. The lower the level, the lower the entrance cost.

If you are able to complete 10 waves, you get a common drop, 20 nets you an epic, 30 gives a legendary, 40 a mythic, 50 an arcane. The better the player, the better the reward.

Just a thought....and probably not a very good one.

Limsi
05-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Good point, I've remembered reading the exact lines from wikipedia a year ago. At least cite your sources, anyway good intentions!

psychoscream
05-18-2013, 03:17 PM
thanks for your suggestion