PDA

View Full Version : Why am I having so much lag lately?

Xbuddyjosh
05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
So much lag lately that I can hardly play... Why?!

Zeus
05-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Your router/ISP. Pressure them to fix whatever is wrong, show them the game. Explain how it measures latency. They'll try to blame it on the game, but it isn't the game.

The problem is your router/ISP.

It is not STS's fault, considering I am playing just fine.

Trenton
05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
I actually did that^. I went full nerd on them, showed the guy how I was lagging and spiking and such, and he said it was the game's server. My mom has been calling them like crazy, and every time they come over they never fix it. They're also trying to blame it on a tree in the neighbor's yard -.- Lol. But hopefully something happens, it annoys the crap outta me. And good luck to you too Josh.

MightyMicah
05-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Your router/ISP. Pressure them to fix whatever is wrong, show them the game. Explain how it measures latency. They'll try to blame it on the game, but it isn't the game.

Lies! ;)

Zeus
05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
I actually did that^. I went full nerd on them, showed the guy how I was lagging and spiking and such, and he said it was the game's server. My mom has been calling them like crazy, and every time they come over they never fix it. They're also trying to blame it on a tree in the neighbor's yard -.- Lol. But hopefully something happens, it annoys the crap outta me. And good luck to you too Josh.

It's most likely because its a costly fix. ISPs do not want to blame themselves, ever. It is not the game, period. Threaten to cancel your service and go to competitors.

Spyce
05-18-2013, 09:42 PM

I had the same problem.
All I did was come closer to the router.

Trenton
05-18-2013, 10:55 PM
^Did that, I was sitting literally a foot away from it.

Cavoc
05-18-2013, 10:56 PM
If you are playing on pc, try hard wiring straight to the modem. If you're on wireless try resetting your router by power cycling it.

Spyce
05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
^Did that, I was sitting literally a foot away from it.

Haha.
What device are you playing on?

Mystiq
05-19-2013, 04:17 AM

You should look at AL's forums. The bugs section. There's a thread on lagg recently and about 99% of them are blaming it on STS (im the 1% who tried to talk some sense into them). They just wouldn't listen, and I said probably the exact same thing to them as you said.

MightyMicah
05-20-2013, 10:11 AM
It is not the game, period.

I think you may be mistaken. Just because you have a good connection to the server doesn't mean that the server is doing fine. My Internet has been working great for the longest time. Recently, however, the game has become extremely laggy. Maybe it's my Internet, maybe not. I'd wager that about 85% of people I've talked with in game are struggling with a lot of lag lately as well.

You should look at AL's forums. The bugs section. There's a thread on lagg recently and about 99% of them are blaming it on STS (im the 1% who tried to talk some sense into them). They just wouldn't listen, and I said probably the exact same thing to them as you said.

So 99% are complaining of lag and you, the 1% without lag think that you're correct and that the servers are fine?

Zeus
05-20-2013, 10:19 AM
It's funny because I'm warned about making statements like this in my essays. I think you are absolutely, and positively wrong. Just because you have a good connection to the server doesn't mean that the server is doing fine and dandy. My Internet has been working great for the longest time. Recently, however, the game has become extremely laggy. Maybe it's my Internet, maybe not. I'd wager that about 85% of people I've talked with in game are struggling with a lot of lag lately as well.

Be careful where you choose to stand.

So 99% are complaining of lag and you, the 1% without lag think that you're correct and that the servers are fine? You realize that defies the rules of logic, correct?

That post wasn't necessary and actually, pretty annoying.

If you do not know what you're talking about, don't contribute on the issue. I can tell you for a fact that it is not the game's fault. I make that statement after playing from multiple locations from multiple different devices. Please, if you DO NOT know what you are talking about, don't try to contradict a statement that is stating the facts. I work with computers, my entire family works with computers. I know what I'm saying when I'm making this statement and experiencing it myself.

You forgot to mention that 85% of PL players don't know what they're talking about with their lag either. Why? I'm able to fix most players lag that ask for help. It is NOT STS's fault.

MightyMicah
05-20-2013, 10:22 AM

If you do not know what you're talking about, don't contribute on the issue. I can tell you for a fact that it is not the game's fault. I make that statement after playing from multiple locations from multiple different devices. Please, if you DO NOT know what you are talking about, don't try to contradict a statement that is stating the facts. I work with computers, my entire family works with computers. I know what I'm saying when I'm making this statement and experiencing it myself.

You forgot to mention that 85% of PL players don't know what they're talking about with their lag either. Why? I'm able to fix most players lag that ask for help. It is NOT STS's fault.

I realize you know your stuff. I'm not doubting that. However, there may be something you didn't take into consideration. All I'm saying is that for most everyone I've talked with, there has been much more lag in game. Either everybody's internets started failing all at once, or there is something to this.

Zeus
05-20-2013, 10:27 AM
I realize you know your stuff. I'm not doubting that. However, there may be something you didn't take into consideration. All I'm saying is that for most everyone I've talked with, there has been much more lag in game. Either everybody's internets started failing all at once, or there is something to this.

And there's no need for personal attacks. That also defies the rules of logic.

It was not a personal attack. The exact same tone you replied to me with, I answered you with.

You are also not taking factors into account, such as bandwith/latency. That is where ping is determined (one of the biggest factors). Again, I state, it is not STS to blame, not even an ounce. So yes, that statement is absolute. Server lag is different because it affects everyone. No if, ands, or buts, but everyone.

Mystiq
05-20-2013, 10:29 AM
It's funny because I'm warned about making statements like this in my essays. I think you are absolutely, and positively wrong. Just because you have a good connection to the server doesn't mean that the server is doing fine and dandy. My Internet has been working great for the longest time. Recently, however, the game has become extremely laggy. Maybe it's my Internet, maybe not. I'd wager that about 85% of people I've talked with in game are struggling with a lot of lag lately as well.

Be careful where you choose to stand.

So 99% are complaining of lag and you, the 1% without lag think that you're correct and that the servers are fine? You realize that defies the rules of logic, correct?31025

MightyMicah
05-20-2013, 10:40 AM
It was not a personal attack. The exact same tone you replied to me with, I answered you with.

You are also not taking factors into account, such as bandwith/latency. That is where ping is determined (one of the biggest factors). Again, I state, it is not STS to blame, not even an ounce. So yes, that statement is absolute. Server lag is different because it affects everyone. No if, ands, or buts, but everyone.

Look I don't know how band width, latency, ping, and all of that stuff works. It's clear that you do so I can take your word for it. However, I do have common sense and common sense tells me that PL was working smoothly one day for the vast majority of PL, and now it's really laggy for the vast majority of PL.

Could it be possible that the server did get (I'm crossing into unknown territory here) "weakened" (if you will) to some extent, and so it IS effecting everyone, but only a little bit. For people like you, with great Internet service, it's really hard to tell because your internet compensates for the weakened server. However, for people like, well everyone complaining of lag lately on and off the forums, our Internet isn't quite as good so it, in turn, becomes a noticeable difference in gameplay. For example, say our ping is usually 400 and yours is usually 100. If the server gets "weakened" a little bit, it rises your ping to 400 and ours to 700. All of the sudden there's a huge difference.

Maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance. I'll just restate what I said before, it was working fine for most, and now it's not working fine for most. That's all I know and it seems quite arrogant to me that a couple guys who aren't lagging think the server is fine. That's like a few blind men claiming that they're the only ones who can see. Then again, maybe it's more like a few men who can see, and therefore realize the whole world is blind. Again, maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance.

Mystiq
05-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Look I don't know how band width, latency, ping, and all of that stuff works. It's clear that you do so I can take your word for it. However, I do have common sense and common sense tells me that PL was working smoothly one day for the vast majority of PL, and now it's really laggy for the vast majority of PL.

Could it be possible that the server did get (I'm crossing into unknown territory here) "weakened" (if you will) to some extent, and so it IS effecting everyone, but only a little bit. For people like you, with great Internet service, it's really hard to tell because your internet compensates for the weakened server. However, for people like, well everyone complaining of lag lately on and off the forums, our Internet isn't quite as good so it, in turn, becomes a noticeable difference in gameplay. For example, say our ping is usually 400 and yours is usually 100. If the server gets "weakened" a little bit, it rises your ping to 400 and ours to 700. All of the sudden there's a huge difference.

Maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance. I'll just restate what I said before, it was working fine for most, and now it's not working fine for most. That's all I know and it seems quite arrogant to me that a couple guys who aren't lagging think the server is fine. That's like a few blind men claiming that they're the only ones who can see. Then again, maybe it's more like a few men who can see, and therefore realize the whole world is blind. Again, maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance.

Im sorry Micah, but i couldn't stop laughing at your first stanza. You claim you do not know anything about bandwidth, latency, or how ping works, yet you have "common sense" to know that it's the servers that are responsible for the lag? Am I mistaken or by "common sense", you mean you're just following your gut? Because if you do not know how lag works, then how do you know it is the servers that is causing it?

MightyMicah
05-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Im sorry Micah, but i couldn't stop laughing at your first stanza. You claim you do not know anything about bandwidth, latency, or how ping works, yet you have "common sense" to know that it's the servers that are lagging? Am I mistaken or by "common sense", you mean you're just following your gut? Because if you do not know how lag works, then how do you know it is the servers that is causing it?

If A=B, and B=C, then it follows that A=C. That is the logic I am using, here; the "common sense."

Let me restate. All I know is that most people were playing happily with no lag. Then, all of the sudden, recently people are complaining of lag. Either everybody's Internet started screwing up at once, or the servers aren't up to par.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and swims like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Mystiq
05-20-2013, 10:57 AM
If A=B, and B=C, then it follows that A=C. That is the logic I am using, here; the "common sense."

Let me restate. All I know is that most people were playing happily with no lag. Then, all of the sudden, recently people are complaining of lag. Either everybody's Internet started screwing up at once, or the servers aren't up to par.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and swims like a duck, it's probably a duck.

And where is your survey, that "everyone" has started lagging recently, because I'm definitely not part of it.

Zombie.
05-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Step1: Move to texas
Step2: Live as close as you can to SPS sever building
Step3: Use same ISP as SPS
Results: Your ping will be Low.

MightyMicah
05-20-2013, 11:00 AM
And where is your survey, that "everyone" has started lagging recently, because I'm definitely not part of it.
First of all "Everybody" that I spoke of, I first qualified as "most people." So I wasn't saying every single person.

Second, I seem to remember you saying something about 99%?

Mystiq
05-20-2013, 11:03 AM
First of all "Everybody" that I spoke of, I first qualified as "most people." So I wasn't saying every single person.

Second, I seem to remember you saying something about 99%?

99% was metaphorical, meaning it was everyone other than me.

MightyMicah
05-20-2013, 11:03 AM
99% was metaphorical, meaning it was everyone other than me.

Oh really?

Mystiq
05-20-2013, 11:10 AM
On really?

I don't get what you mean, but this was AL, not PL.

Mystiq
05-20-2013, 11:15 AM
I should have never jumped in in the first place. What do I know? I'm just that idiot forumer who likes to argue, right? Gee wiz, I'm out of here.

I was just about to say that ;) this thread is so boring....

Facepook
05-20-2013, 04:23 PM
I spike, I dont know why but whenever I'm just about to fight my oppeneont everything stops for a second then, then off and on during the duration of the battle

JaytB
05-20-2013, 04:45 PM
I got to say I'm having weird lag spikes on my otherwise fine high speed Internet connection too.

My connection goes through servers based in Brussels, London, New-York and Washington all the way up to the Amazon servers. It's simply impossible to put the blame on anyone when so many connections can influence my ping. It could be your ISP, it could be STS or it could very well be everything in between. My point is that no one here can be absolutely sure where the problem really lies.

Promagin
05-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Just chill :p

Zeus
05-20-2013, 05:15 PM
I got to say I'm having weird lag spikes on my otherwise fine high speed Internet connection too.

My connection goes through servers based in Brussels, London, New-York and Washington all the way up to the Amazon servers. It's simply impossible to put the blame on anyone when so many connections can influence my ping. It could be your ISP, it could be STS or it could very well be everything in between. My point is that no one here can be absolutely sure where the problem really lies.

Johan, if I'm not mistaken, if there is server lag, everybody would experience it. Correct? That's what I was taught, at least.

MightyMicah
05-20-2013, 05:22 PM

Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to say. I guess I just failed miserably at saying it seeing as I don't have hardly any knowledge in this area.

JaytB
05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Johan, if I'm not mistaken, if there is server lag, everybody would experience it. Correct? That's what I was taught, at least.

However small the chance would be, it could as well be a poblem on one of the many connections to the Amazon server. That would explain why several, but not all, people are affected by it at different times (depending on what connection you are on at the moment of lag). Technically, this wouldn't be STS' s fault, but it's the server they run their stuff on so everyone would be blaming them.

This is a very small chance though, so you're most probably correct in saying it isn't STS' s fault but you can't tell for sure unless you'd stress test each connection to the server yourself.

darthdlo
05-20-2013, 05:46 PM
I had terrible lag and updated my device to a 2013 high end model device with att wifi 65mbps and have no problems and i used to complain that it was sts because i though what i was using was good enough

Fusionstrike
05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
I also have seen bursts of poor performance on PL that I hadn't experienced before. There hasn't been any kind of change on my end as far as my equipment, ISP, etc. It is of course very hard to diagnose definitively without being inside the network, but it got me to thinking about the Amazon-based servers that STS uses.

I don't know anything about the architecture. Anything here is purely speculation. However, I have to wonder how server "horsepower" is allocated. Obvious STS has to pay for server time, power and bandwidth, and it would stand to reason they pay more to get more. Did they go buy lots (any?) more server capacity when launching AL or did they just divide down the existing capacity? It seems like it would be awfully attractive to them not to spend more money if they didn't have to.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's just plain more load these days and that accounts for the degredation we see. It certainly fits the pattern I've seen. There are so many different entities involved here that we'll never know the truth, but that doesn't automatically mean we should all just accept that we need to "reset our routers". Online services reflexively blame the user's ISP as the first line of defense, but when lots of people start seeing the same symptoms, it's sure hard to swallow.

Suentous PO
05-20-2013, 06:10 PM
We have a bad router at home I get dc often, this week I'm at my girls house, I've never had a lower ping and no dc at all.

Sryyoulose
05-20-2013, 06:28 PM
I've been having lag problems to, but I switched from iPhone to itouch due to bein perma banned. It may be that that is causing me lag. I also would like to recognize that Micah has a valid point... Or maybe people are just whiners everywhere...
"OMG man my ping is 300" it's like wih ping like that. I'd be awesome in pvp.

MightyMicah
05-20-2013, 06:56 PM
I've been having lag problems to, but I switched from iPhone to itouch due to bein perma banned. It may be that that is causing me lag. I also would like to recognize that Micah has a valid point... Or maybe people are just whiners everywhere...
"OMG man my ping is 300" it's like wih ping like that. I'd be awesome in pvp.

Thanks, Micah :D

I think FusionStrike and JaytB hit the nail on the head. There has been a significant increase in complaints about lag. Apollo knows his stuff says it's impossible that it's STS. If Apollo says it, I normally just believe it, but the significant increase in lag complaints have me second guessing him. The problem is that we seem to have a contradiction-It can't be both STS server, and not STS server. Therefore, there has to be a conclusion which can explain why a lot of people are complaining about lagging. Again, I think JaytB and FusionStrike had great theories on that.

Griffinfan
05-20-2013, 07:03 PM
There is no way to tell where the "lag" is coming from, it could be coming from the server (small chance) or it could be peoples routers are having trouble connecting etc.

Arguing over it is ridiculous, but I must say no one can come in and say "My ping is fine, there is no problem with STS's servers" because as far as I know nobody plays 24/7 and can see every spike, or time the server could lag (at least I hope noone plays that much)

conclusion: it could be anything, no one will know exactly unless STS told us they were having problems.

Zeus
05-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to say. I guess I just failed miserably at saying it seeing as I don't have hardly any knowledge in this area.

The issue was that you were extremely arrogant in your approach. I responded exactly how you responded to me. A large majority of players still play lag-free, so the server end simply cannot be true.

Anyways, Johan, yes. Although, if it were Amazon servers that were lagging, wouldn't we know considering many companies use Amazon's services?

The reason why I say what I say is this: I play from a variety of locations, even absolute crap college Internet.

I also play on high end 2013 devices. However, even on the crappy college Internet, it is mainly stable at 100-200 ping. I say it is bad, considering the upload is less than 5 mbs, as well as download being less than 5mbs.

The reason why I spike is when bandwidth is being occupied by other students on campus. At home, it's the same issue. My family streams HD movies A LOT, as do most Indian families. Watching movies is one of their favorite pastimes. During those times, my ping is unstable. However, when I'm playing during non-peak hours, it is completely fine as there is plenty of bandwidth for me to have stable, double digit ping.
(Home Internet has 75-100mpbs download and over 25mpbs upload)

I have tested from multiple locations as well, as the ping issue bothered me greatly. This is why I say that it is not STS. Also, this is coming from someone who always though it was STS's fault that I was laggig.

MightyMicah
05-20-2013, 07:45 PM
The issue was that you were extremely arrogant in your approach. I responded exactly how you responded to me. A large majority of players still play lag-free, so the server end simply cannot be true.

You're right, I did sound extremely arrogant. Sorry about that. I've re-edited it :D

My point does still remain though and I would certainly appreciate it if you wouldn't blow me off as knowing nothing. I can think same as anyone else.

Xbuddyjosh
05-20-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't get what you mean, but this was AL, not PL.

Same servers location

Xbuddyjosh
05-20-2013, 08:56 PM
I was just about to say that ;) this thread is so boring....

Then y do u keep coming here

Zeus
05-20-2013, 09:02 PM
I didn't mean to sound arrogant. Having read it again, though, you're right. Sorry about that.

My point does still remain though and I would certainly appreciate it if you wouldn't blow me off as knowing nothing. I can think same as anyone else.

The only reason why I said what I said was because of the rude, arrogant way you approached me. I do know you're an intelligent person, so I apologize for hurting your feelings as well.

Yes, there's a slight chance as with all things, but that's nitpicking. The chance is so slight that I highly doubt it is STS's fault.

I'll post a guide later on today to help others figure out wether lag is due to their own ISP or other factors. More often than not, the problem lies in bandwidth, device capabilities (as you've experienced when you upgraded to the iPad 3), and the strength of the wifi antenna. There is other factors, but I'm working out and doing burn-outs & it's getting to the point where I can barely move my fingers smoothly.

Xbuddyjosh
05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Apollo a friend of mine said cookiezzpvp scammed him 2.6mil... He needs booted from tcg o.O

Zeus
05-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Apollo a friend of mine said cookiezzpvp scammed him 2.6mil... He needs booted from tcg o.O

Could've been said in PM, but report him. If enough report him for scamming multiple players, he should be permanently banned.

onasho
05-21-2013, 04:26 AM

STS's servers are probably fine, but before blaming your isp, there are few things you can test to see where the problem may lie.

I'm a cable broadband tech, so what i'm saying only apply to cable isp. (in US)

and do these steps at your PC, with windows OS...

first check your signal level :

you can log into most cable modem's diagnostic by putting 192.168.100.1 on your browser's address bar.

check under the signal/status/connection tab

for Downstream, the ideal range for each frequencies should be as follow:

Signal to noise ratio : above 32db

Power level or Signal level or Receive level : above -10 dBmV , lower then +10 dBmv

for Upstream, ideal range for each frequencies should be:

signal to noise : above 21 db

Power level / Tx / Transmit : above 35 dBmv, below 53 dBmv.

provided your signal's good, next look up your iPv4 default gateway and ping it

to do that, if you are hardwired directly to your modem :

open up your Network and sharing center -> Manage Network connections -> double click your local area connection -> details

If you are Connected to your router.

log in to your router's setup page (refer to your router's manual) , and look up the Default Gateway ip.

Open your command prompt ( run -> "Cmd" )

type in

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -n ## (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your ipv4 gateway, when you ping that ip, you ping the node that you are connected to; ## is the number you want to ping it. 25 times is enough to tell)

with hardwired, your ping should be around 9 to 10 ms, wireless could get slightly higher and fluctuates, but not much.

what you looking for is, if there's any timeouts and if the latency fluctuates. (your ping should be very consistent pinging your node directly in a hard wired configuration.)

If you have good signal and consistent ping. There is nothing your ISP can do. problem is beyond your ISP's server.

if you have good signal yet time outs and inconsistent ping. call your ISP to come check, there may or May Not be a network issue in your neighborhood with your ISP.

if you don't have good signal... call your ISP, your cable needs to be worked on...

Also even if you are playing fine from multiple location doesn't mean that it's going to be the same for everyone else who isn't from your region. and especially if these locations are from the same general region.

if you run "tracert" to sts server then you will see how many different servers are in between.

Anyways, Johan, yes. Although, if it were Amazon servers that were lagging, wouldn't we know considering many companies use Amazon's services?

The reason why I say what I say is this: I play from a variety of locations, even absolute crap college Internet.

I also play on high end 2013 devices. However, even on the crappy college Internet, it is mainly stable at 100-200 ping. I say it is bad, considering the upload is less than 5 mbs, as well as download being less than 5mbs.

The reason why I spike is when bandwidth is being occupied by other students on campus. At home, it's the same issue. My family streams HD movies A LOT, as do most Indian families. Watching movies is one of their favorite pastimes. During those times, my ping is unstable. However, when I'm playing during non-peak hours, it is completely fine as there is plenty of bandwidth for me to have stable, double digit ping.

I have tested from multiple locations as well, as the ping issue bothered me greatly. This is why I say that it is not STS. Also, this is coming from someone who always though it was STS's fault that I was laggig.

believe it or not, your bandwidth doesn't have much of an impact on pl, because PL doesn't take up much bandwidth to play. bandwidth is how much data your isp allows you to transmit per second.
i have a 15 down / 3 up connection and never had problems. 2 computers always online gaming, wife watch neflix in hd, and me and a couple family members all play PL. none of us have any major issues..
and yes obviously when the bandwidth is maxed out, it's gonna cause delay for the modem to transmit all the data hence the increase on latency.

above image shows that on my tablet PL took about 1.09 gb of data out of the whole month.

above image shows that from the 15th to the 18th(day offs), PL took about 288 MB of data.
and i played about 1 to 2 hours per day on those 4 days.

so let's say i only played 1 hour each day on these 4 days , that's 4 hours total.

288 MB / 4hour / 60min / 60sec = 0.02 Mbps

All in all, i'm not saying sts' server is bad, because i have never had any lag issues. but there are many, many, many factors that could contribute to the lag issue.
and do your research before calling your isp.

because if i get a service call at someone's house. and they are telling me that their game is lagging, and i'm not finding any problems with their cable and they still wanna blame us, i will make sure
that person is getting charged for the service call.

Mystiq
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Then y do u keep coming here

Cuz i can.

Swimmingstar
05-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Dang, my internet sucks, we used to have 15 mb down and 5-10 mb up but now we have 1-3 mb down and 1 mb up!

Reunegade
05-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Cuz i can.
If this thread is so boring, why even bother coming into this thread?

Zeus
05-21-2013, 09:09 PM
STS's servers are probably fine, but before blaming your isp, there are few things you can test to see where the problem may lie.

I'm a cable broadband tech, so what i'm saying only apply to cable isp. (in US)

and do these steps at your PC, with windows OS...

first check your signal level :

you can log into most cable modem's diagnostic by putting 192.168.100.1 on your browser's address bar.

check under the signal/status/connection tab

for Downstream, the ideal range for each frequencies should be as follow:

Signal to noise ratio : above 32db

Power level or Signal level or Receive level : above -10 dBmV , lower then +10 dBmv

for Upstream, ideal range for each frequencies should be:

signal to noise : above 21 db

Power level / Tx / Transmit : above 35 dBmv, below 53 dBmv.

provided your signal's good, next look up your iPv4 default gateway and ping it

to do that, if you are hardwired directly to your modem :

open up your Network and sharing center -> Manage Network connections -> double click your local area connection -> details

If you are Connected to your router.

log in to your router's setup page (refer to your router's manual) , and look up the Default Gateway ip.

Open your command prompt ( run -> "Cmd" )

type in

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -n ## (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your ipv4 gateway, when you ping that ip, you ping the node that you are connected to; ## is the number you want to ping it. 25 times is enough to tell)

with hardwired, your ping should be around 9 to 10 ms, wireless could get slightly higher and fluctuates, but not much.

what you looking for is, if there's any timeouts and if the latency fluctuates. (your ping should be very consistent pinging your node directly in a hard wired configuration.)

If you have good signal and consistent ping. There is nothing your ISP can do. problem is beyond your ISP's server.

if you have good signal yet time outs and inconsistent ping. call your ISP to come check, there may or May Not be a network issue in your neighborhood with your ISP.

if you don't have good signal... call your ISP, your cable needs to be worked on...

Also even if you are playing fine from multiple location doesn't mean that it's going to be the same for everyone else who isn't from your region. and especially if these locations are from the same general region.

if you run "tracert" to sts server then you will see how many different servers are in between.

believe it or not, your bandwidth doesn't have much of an impact on pl, because PL doesn't take up much bandwidth to play. bandwidth is how much data your isp allows you to transmit per second.
i have a 15 down / 3 up connection and never had problems. 2 computers always online gaming, wife watch neflix in hd, and me and a couple family members all play PL. none of us have any major issues..
and yes obviously when the bandwidth is maxed out, it's gonna cause delay for the modem to transmit all the data hence the increase on latency.

above image shows that on my tablet PL took about 1.09 gb of data out of the whole month.

above image shows that from the 15th to the 18th(day offs), PL took about 288 MB of data.
and i played about 1 to 2 hours per day on those 4 days.

so let's say i only played 1 hour each day on these 4 days , that's 4 hours total.

288 MB / 4hour / 60min / 60sec = 0.02 Mbps

All in all, i'm not saying sts' server is bad, because i have never had any lag issues. but there are many, many, many factors that could contribute to the lag issue.
and do your research before calling your isp.

because if i get a service call at someone's house. and they are telling me that their game is lagging, and i'm not finding any problems with their cable and they still wanna blame us, i will make sure
that person is getting charged for the service call.

While this is all very useful, believe me, perhaps this link will help you get an idea of what I mean. From my experience and experiences of helping others, the issues listed in the link below is mainly their issue.
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?98791-Identifying-Symptoms-Why-am-I-lagging

KingDutka
05-25-2013, 05:00 PM
I am connected via Wi-Fi and speedtest.net is reporting a 9ms latency with over 33mb down speeds and over 10mb up speeds. I can stream multiple videos and download large files in the blink of an eye to my heart's content but the GAME is lagging ridiculously bad and I have NEVER had this problem before. I tend to agree with the numbers... If 85% of users are reporting massive lag, there IS an issue other than 85% of ISP connections being bad. That's just common sense people... There most certainly IS an issue with the GAME, NOT my ISP.

<-- Master's Degree in Computer Science