PDA

View Full Version : Skill Suggestion

Xanthia
04-28-2010, 07:24 PM
After consulting my guild (Venom) and thinking about my past experiences playing multiple MMO's (WoW, EQ 1 & 2, SWG, and GW) the correct course of action for skills would be to have a Tier System basically where every player would be able to use all the skills available to their respective class.

Tier:
Apprentice I
Apprentice II
Adept I
Adept II
Master I

As one gains levels and reaches the level where a new skill is acquired one would gain the ability to utilize that spell at the Apprentice I level. So no more skill points. Now you might ask "But Xanthia, how do I upgrade my spells or combat arts?" Skills and Combat Arts can be purchased up to Adept I. So basically you can go to a NPC or Vendor and purchase Apprentice II or Adept I. If you want to get skills higher then that you would be required to complete dungeons.

These skills should be found as loot from mobs. However, these should be from bosses only, and should be rare.

(For the Casual Players)
Not trying to skip points or not complete my thoughts but I know some of you are sitting there thinking "Great, this crazy healer wants to make me grind to get skills or farm more then I am now!"
But I'm not. To be competitive in PvE (Player Versus Environment) Adept I would be the standard. It's like saying you would be able to complete a zone composed of players in all Adept I skills.

(For the Hard-Core Players)
If you embrace the tip of the blade, or the harshest of environments you would strive to obtain an Adept II or Master I version of some or all of your skills. The adept II would be a rare drop and would only come from Bosses. (This would address another post concerning bosses dropping some form of loot) However the number of bosses in the upper tiers of the game drastically needs to decrease. The skill of these bosses needs to be much harder so that earning one of these upgraded skills should be a good achievement. The Master I version of the skills should be from only the final boss of the world, like only the Frost King (Final Boss of Lost Expansion), this would also require that you start from the beginning of the world and not being able to just skip right to the end. Those players who obtain these skills will have a significant advantage in the zones and would benefit more then those players who were only able to obtain an Adept I of the skill.

(For the Casual Player)
Because the Master I and Adept II versions of skills would come as a drop from bosses, a casual player would still be able to obtain these skills, the probability of one receiving them would be less then that of a hard-core player, but this is logical because they are able to play more, but a casual player can still compete in PvE because of the Adept I version being able to be purchased.

I would LOVE FEEDBACK from the community members and DEV's!!!!!

I think this is an excellent idea to implement in future content.

Demarrer
04-28-2010, 07:28 PM
I like the idea, however I would really like to see REAL skills. Different abilities that level up as you play, and maxing out at a certain number. If you have an absence from the game or that character, the skills slowly go down. This helps keep a player playing the game, even if they are bored.

Also, this can give many different opportunities for people to create their own custom builds. You could for example have Magery be a skill, which is being able to use magic, or Fencing which gives the ability to use a dagger. You could then combine these to make completely different types of characters, instead of the three standard ones. This could make everyone unique.

King Richie
04-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah but that would cause a huge change in game mechanics which over all I don't see happening :(

Demarrer
04-28-2010, 07:33 PM
yeah but that would cause a huge change in game mechanics which over all i don't see happening :(

this is a suggestion forum!

Xanthia
04-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah but that would cause a huge change in game mechanics which over all I don't see happening :(

I agree that the game mechanics would change but I do think this can and will happen.

This would allow the DEV's to get away from the 3 classes we have and go to 6 classes

Warrior would change to Guardian - Tank or Paladin - Solo Class w/ Heals and a good overall class
Archer would change to Ranger - Bow Based DPS or Assassin - Dagger based DPS
Enchantress would change to Cleric - Healer or Wizard - Spell Based DPS

This would enable a lot more unique builds and would explode the game with interest and enthusiasm!

Odvar
04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
This idea = win!

Demarrer
04-28-2010, 07:42 PM
I agree that the game mechanics would change but I do think this can and will happen.

This would allow the DEV's to get away from the 3 classes we have and go to 6 classes

Warrior would change to Guardian - Tank or Paladin - Solo Class w/ Heals and a good overall class
Archer would change to Ranger - Bow Based DPS or Assassin - Dagger based DPS
Enchantress would change to Cleric - Healer or Wizard - Spell Based DPS

This would enable a lot more unique builds and would explode the game with interest and enthusiasm!

Like I said it makes a more endless gameplay. Right now you get to level 30 on your character, and there is nothing else to do. With skills like I said, you can play around with different things throughout the game. This also would go along well with the item idea someone stated earlier, in which all items have different stats. This would help explode the economy and trading aspect of the game, as well as individuality.

Xanthia
04-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Like I said it makes a more endless gameplay. Right now you get to level 30 on your character, and there is nothing else to do. With skills like I said, you can play around with different things throughout the game. This also would go along well with the item idea someone stated earlier, in which all items have different stats. This would help explode the economy and trading aspect of the game, as well as individuality.

The possibilities are endless with this idea!

Having 6 classes all with a UNIQUE skill set would enable much more variety and individuality with each character and would develop the need for group dynamics to form which is the baseline for endgame PVE and PVP.

Demarrer
04-28-2010, 07:48 PM
The possibilities are endless with this idea!

Having 6 classes all with a UNIQUE skill set would enable much more variety and individuality with each character and would develop the need for group dynamics to form which is the baseline for endgame PVE and PVP.

It would be sweet if a Dev could tell us if this is plausible, or even possible.

jbrulz
04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
this sounds like an amazing idea...you could reach a certain level (probably level 13 so non-buyers can still do it) and be given the option to be a tank ect..

Joesmo
04-28-2010, 10:12 PM
To the original Idea I think this skills suggestion while a good one still isn't the best. Don't ask me what is because I honestly don't know what THE best way to have it is I just know theres a better one.

To having 6 types rather 3 I'm all for. I mentioned this in one of my posts not long ago. The game is to defined to three set characters and makes the game a lot less fun. This feature will defiantly have to come out before they come out with pvp. If it doesnt come out before pvp then the pvp will be extremely stupid. Everyone will have exactly the same stats with the same skills and the same armour. BORING.
Unless by some miracle Space Studios comes out with some completely new and intense gameplay. I really hope the game mechanics are redone or else this game is gonna tank hard.
In summary CHANGE THE GAME MECHANICS.

King Richie
05-04-2010, 05:15 PM
this is a suggestion forum!

Suck on my suggestion !! I hate ppl like you who think there all godly !! suck it !!

Aerospacegod
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I would like to see skill cap removed but use the diminishing law of returns. For instance fireblast at 50damage add point goes to 60, add point for 69, add point to 77, eventually adding only 1damage per point but no cap.

Xanthia
05-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Suck on my suggestion !! I hate ppl like you who think there all godly !! suck it !!

Very Mature....

I would like to see skill cap removed but use the diminishing law of returns. For instance fireblast at 50damage add point goes to 60, add point for 69, add point to 77, eventually adding only 1damage per point but no cap.

There would be a point where players would stop putting points into the skills and the extra spaces would get pointless, if you really see the mechanics behind my suggestion, it would make it so that you had to work for upgrades to your skills, instead of just getting the highest rank of the respective skill, having to earn it, it inspires a new incentive to grind and group!!! :)