PDA

View Full Version : Best 1 Handed Rift Weapon?

Burton
10-12-2010, 04:46 PM
From what I can tell by the pictures, best to worst (dps wise) goes like this:

Vibra Battlesword
Force Cutter
Sunblessed Scimitar

If there are any mistakes in that please point them out.

Next question: Do any of these weapons have a break armor proc? Also are there any other rift weapons that I didn't mention that have a good dps but an even better proc?

Edit: I understand the Gorgox Hammer is very sought after and expensive but from what I can tell, it has a low dps and it's 2 handed so can someone explain to me why it's so special?

Royce
10-12-2010, 05:02 PM
DPS isn't everything, and particularly with the high armor mobs of AO3, damage rather than DPS (which does not account for armor) is much more important. Honestly I think the luminous harpoon and AO2 shock lance (not rift items) are better than all 3 of those you listed, though at least the force cutter does have a break armor proc. Anyway that's also why the hammer is so popular, it has massive damage.

Burton
10-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Well at the moment I have a shock lance but it seems weak compared to the newer weapons. I don't completely understand how the enemy's armor affects dps but not damage though.

Royce
10-12-2010, 06:37 PM
You have to subtract armor from damage in order to calculate effective DPS. For instance against an opponent with 100 armor, all those rift 1-handers would do some double digit number-100=0 damage per blow for an effective DPS of 0. Of course buffs and debuffs change the story a bit, but in general, I'd take a high damage, slow speed (so low DPS) weapon like a lance or harpoon or 2-hander over a low damage, fast speed (high DPS) weapon like a 1-hand sword any day. If you're in a good group with all 3 kinds of classes debuffing, low damage, fast weapons like a 1-hand sword or dagger can be effective, but against bosses or in PvP, high damage (not DPS) will win every time. This is a much bigger issue seemingly in AO3, where faster, lower damage weapons hardly ever do any damage until the target is totally debuffed (nightmare, break armor, crushing blow, etc).

Burton
10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the perfect explanation. I now completely understand.

Azrael
10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
You have to subtract armor from damage in order to calculate effective DPS. For instance against an opponent with 100 armor, all those rift 1-handers would do some double digit number-100=0 damage per blow for an effective DPS of 0. Of course buffs and debuffs change the story a bit, but in general, I'd take a high damage, slow speed (so low DPS) weapon like a lance or harpoon or 2-hander over a low damage, fast speed (high DPS) weapon like a 1-hand sword any day. If you're in a good group with all 3 kinds of classes debuffing, low damage, fast weapons like a 1-hand sword or dagger can be effective, but against bosses or in PvP, high damage (not DPS) will win every time. This is a much bigger issue seemingly in AO3, where faster, lower damage weapons hardly ever do any damage until the target is totally debuffed (nightmare, break armor, crushing blow, etc).

So true. This problem highlights several issues, the primary one being the games armor mitigation system. Fast weapons are still effective in other mmorpgs. Usually its decision between lots of hits and small damage, which gives more procs and less chances of being interupted /interrupt your enemy, or less hits and large damage, which can stop an enemy before they can respond to you, or is a means off boosting the effectiveness of a skill or spell which bases its damage on weapon damage.

Sadly this just doesn't work in PL. SLower the weapon the better, end of story.

BeardedBear
10-13-2010, 07:40 AM
The Force Cutter breaks 25 armor, and stacks. I didn't notice any proc with the other two, although I was the target, so perhaps vibra and scimitar are beneficial for the user.

BeardedBear
10-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Edit: I understand the Gorgox Hammer is very sought after and expensive but from what I can tell, it has a low dps and it's 2 handed so can someone explain to me why it's so special?

It has tremendous damage per swing, while most 1 handers are weak, and will barely do any damage to the target because DPS doesn't take armor into account. That's a whole other discussion, but Gorgux hammer has a stun proc, which can render a single target absolutely useless once you start a thumpin'.

Ellyidol
10-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Stacks unlimitedly? I just realised today after trying to mix and match armors/weapons to maximize armor and such. If you want a PURE tank with no m/s at all then I guess a rift 1handed would be good since it gives that additional 7 armor, plus you get to wear a complete set of rift armors. Though I like using a thoth piece better and find it more maximizing if I use a thoth sword instead of a thoth armor piece. You give up (13?) armor for switching from an overlord rift helm - mynas thoth helm.

Though now that I see force rift cutters break armor, it does seem useful now vs bosses if your tanking. Interesting.

BeardedBear
10-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Stacks unlimitedly? I just realised today after trying to mix and match armors/weapons to maximize armor and such. If you want a PURE tank with no m/s at all then I guess a rift 1handed would be good since it gives that additional 7 armor, plus you get to wear a complete set of rift armors. Though I like using a thoth piece better and find it more maximizing if I use a thoth sword instead of a thoth armor piece. You give up (13?) armor for switching from an overlord rift helm - mynas thoth helm.

Though now that I see force rift cutters break armor, it does seem useful now vs bosses if your tanking. Interesting.

I noticed it x4, and it attacks .5 so that's pretty beastly. Also, I'm thinking of going all rift on my str birdie, and relying on mediation to get me by. Should be interesting.

Just wish they had a rift spear or something with some kick to it.

Ellyidol
10-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Holy damn. So a total of -100 armor, therefore reducing the target armor by the base damage of the force cutter completely? So it deals full 200+ dps? DAMN.

That should work on a str bird. Sadly bears have no other form of m/s aside from pots.

I wish they'd update ALL 1handed rift weapons at once though. Or confirm that this change will be permanent or such. This distorts the prices so much if other changes are gonna be made again.

BeardedBear
10-13-2010, 08:04 AM
I had 199 armor originally, and I was still able to survive just by my regen. So for PvP, it's poopy work.

Ellyidol
10-13-2010, 08:08 AM
So your 199 dropped to 99? I'm curious how long this "debuff" lasts though. I remember from zuraz/spears that it drops it and stacks but sometimes the dropping happens after every hit cause the armor recovers.

BeardedBear
10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
The armor popped back up maybe 2 seconds after no attacking, if that.

Just remember how fast the force cutter attacks though, compared to a spear.

Ellyidol
10-13-2010, 09:03 AM
2 seconds of not attacking is quite long though, in pve at least.

Yeah .5 speed is quite fast. If I'm not mistaken does that mean 1 attack every .5 seconds?

BeardedBear
10-13-2010, 11:11 AM
2 seconds of not attacking is quite long though, in pve at least.

Yeah .5 speed is quite fast. If I'm not mistaken does that mean 1 attack every .5 seconds?

That's correct. The force cutter is pretty much just a str dagger, lol.

BeardedBear
10-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Also, Ellie, I use a Thoth plate personally. Not including a weapon, the armor is the best thing to sub because of the miminal armor loss you will suffer. If you were to swap it with the OV helm, or Rift shield, you will lose much more armor.

Swords suck. Go with a Thoth spear.

Ellyidol
10-13-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm currently using a thoth plasma. How much is the difference of a Lv 50 Mynas Thoth Plate vs a Powersuit Of Rift?

I used a sword cause I'd rather the -7 armor from a thoth sword versus a rift onehander over the -15 armor i get from a mynas 45. (Note it is a lv 45 though haven't seen a 50 yet).

BeardedBear
10-14-2010, 07:38 AM
I have a lvl 50 Thoth Khopesh if you want to buy. It's very rare as it doesn't drop anymore.

And it's a 12 armor difference.

Ellyidol
10-14-2010, 07:41 AM
I do too! :) I just thought the plasma had some sort of proc, with lightning coming down on target or something, I don't know really.

Wait just checked I think I sold my Thoth Khopesh. lol its fine though, its really just a tanking/running through weapon so I don't need to do damage with it. :)

IF only the Force cutter had even half of thoth m/s. What a tank weapon.

BeardedBear
10-14-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm actually looking for a cutter for my str birdy. I figured with break armor and shattering scream, I might be able to get some people's armor in the negatives!

Ellyidol
10-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Damn thats true! Though I'm more concerned on PvE than PvP atm, break armor is -45, scream is (-25?), a possible constant -75 from force cutter, thats roughly a -140 armor combo. Damn. I hope we're not overrating it. lol