PDA

View Full Version : Please answer these questions about PVP truthfully :)

wvhills
05-23-2013, 02:06 PM
When I played CTF PVP in Dark Legends the majority of the players wanted to win the game (to be the first to capture 5 flags). No one really paid attention to people's ratios. We were known by our reputation. There was a player named Qoom (also mooq) who barely had a 1:1 ratio but you always wanted him on your team because he would relentlessly go after the flag and would barrel into 3 of the opposing team to save the flag. There was a few other players (who shall remain nameless) who had 3:1 ratios but you didn't want them on ur team because they wouldn't guard flag, wouldn't go for flag, etc. All they would do would chase people around to kill steal.

In DL people also wanted to have a good, competitive game. If teams were unbalanced people would switch sides to even things out and be competitive.

It's different in AL. It seems like most people's main goal is to get on an overpowered team and/or protect their ratio. Most people leave if they get killed two or three times in a row, people will run into opposing teams flag room to get mana but then run back out without ever touching flag, etc.

So here's my first question:

"Do you really want a COMPETITIVE 5 vs 5 CTF match"?

Here's the follow up:
"If so, what actions can be taken to encourage competitive matches?"

Here's my idea:
I think the main difference in AL and DL ctf is the fact that DL has a death match (DM) arena and AL doesn't. It seems to me that most players in AL don't like to play CTF but would rather play DM.

Do you guys think that bringing a DM arena to AL would free up the CTF arena so those of us who actually want to have competitive CTF games can while those who want kills/ratios etc, (but don't want to flag) can go do that in DM?

Theholyangel
05-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Haha I feel ya hillz, i've been waiting to see if that would be brought out, and I sure do hope so.

Lady_Pebbles
05-23-2013, 02:45 PM
I think regardless of DM being introduced, it won't make that much of difference. Players will still farm for kills in CtF and try to be part of the team with most players to have an advantage over the other team. I don't see why they continue to do this, whats the point other than gaining Achievements? Its not a challenge its not even a competition that way.

Which is why I think locked rooms would help. Players can choose to wait and form matches based on the type of game play they are looking for. Perhaps both DM and locked matches would help with this... a little bit... somehow I sincerely doubt they would do much.

Players will do what they want regardless. :\

Jexetta
05-23-2013, 03:13 PM
I've also been thinking about this on and off this week Wvhillz, it's funny you posted this because I was going to post something similar.

Perhaps it's my design background that is telling me this is the problem, but I think it's the layout of the pvp arena. The DL arena was laid out much differently - it was long and narrow unlike the DM arena. And it encouraged face-offs and going for the flag by it's shape. The health was right in the middle or on the sides which also encouraged people to run towards the middle / flag. Zombies in the middle discouraged just staying in the middle kill farming - so you either went defensive or offensive. There was no mana as your health was tied to your skill usage so you couldn't just run back to your flag room, if you wanted to recover yourself you were encouraged to charge ahead and sneak a heart.

The layout of AL's CtF is a huge giant square just like DM in Dark Legends. Pulling for the flag requires a really long run and unless you're a warrior or get your team together nicely - it's not going to happen for most classes. People run to the middle because it's the safest thing to do - there is no defense advantage like in DL because 1 class cannot really hold off multiple characters of people of the same skill level bc there are no locked gates. The problem is, the defensive position in AL is the same as the offensive position in AL - the middle, staying in the middle you can guard your flag and go after kills. You just aren't encouraged to go for the flag like in DL - I feel the same way. Tbh I just want them to port over the same arena, switch out the zombies for ice spiders or ice wolves, change the walls to tower of Mardom style artwork and call it a day. That CtF arena is DL was genius and the design team that came up with it deserves a lot of credit.

So in summary Wv
Question #1 : Yes I do want a competitive CtF arena
Question #2 : See above "architectural" suggestions

-Jexy

Syylent
05-23-2013, 03:25 PM
When I played CTF PVP in Dark Legends the majority of the players wanted to win the game (to be the first to capture 5 flags). No one really paid attention to people's ratios. We were known by our reputation. There was a player named Qoom (also mooq) who barely had a 1:1 ratio but you always wanted him on your team because he would relentlessly go after the flag and would barrel into 3 of the opposing team to save the flag. There was a few other players (who shall remain nameless) who had 3:1 ratios but you didn't want them on ur team because they wouldn't guard flag, wouldn't go for flag, etc. All they would do would chase people around to kill steal.

In DL people also wanted to have a good, competitive game. If teams were unbalanced people would switch sides to even things out and be competitive.

It's different in AL. It seems like most people's main goal is to get on an overpowered team and/or protect their ratio. Most people leave if they get killed two or three times in a row, people will run into opposing teams flag room to get mana but then run back out without ever touching flag, etc.

Here's the follow up:

Here's my idea:
I think the main difference in AL and DL ctf is the fact that DL has a death match (DM) arena and AL doesn't. It seems to me that most players in AL don't like to play CTF but would rather play DM.

Do you guys think that bringing a DM arena to AL would free up the CTF arena so those of us who actually want to have competitive CTF games can while those who want kills/ratios etc, (but don't want to flag) can go do that in DM?

Sure a competitive 5v5 would be great. I prefer the excitement though of rounding the corner and not knowing what you are going to run into. With the amount of people I see and different gear sets.. you will never have a competitive 5v5 CTF match. Gear discrepancy is too great. Everything in this game has sky high prices. Another topic for another thread though. I don't want to get started with what I think about these locked crates.

Give the players a real incentive to finish the map. With that said... sadly players would abuse it.

A DM would be great.. the players though would go wherever the can find a fight.

Not all of us care about our kills and ratios. Some do and that is fine if they want to. I just want to fight the other person(s). Put a flag in if ya want or don't. I don't really care.

The only way I can see to get what you want done...Not that I agree with it but here it is anyway

Have it so when you join a match it is anonymous to the other team. You are just "enemy #1" to them. When the other sides talks you see @#%$#@%#$% . You just get a generic figure of the enemy (rogue, war, sorc). Then get rid of the leader boards. They are joke anyway.

Theholyangel
05-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Gear discrepancy is too great. Everything in this game has sky high prices. Another topic for another thread though. I don't want to get started with what I think about these locked crates.

Give the players a real incentive to finish the map. With that said... sadly players would abuse it.

A DM would be great.. the players though would go wherever the can find a fight.

Not all of us care about our kills and ratios. Some do and that is fine if they want to. I just want to fight the other person(s). Put a flag in if ya want or don't. I don't really care.

The only way I can see to get what you want done...Not that I agree with it but here it is anyway

Have it so when you join a match it is anonymous to the other team. You are just "enemy #1" to them. When the other sides talks you see @#%$#@%#$% . You just get a generic figure of the enemy (rogue, war, sorc). Then get rid of the leader boards. They are joke anyway.

LOL war. Nice, you nailed it there.

Syylent
05-23-2013, 04:13 PM
LOL war. Nice, you nailed it there.

Every once in a while I am not a complete idiot. Well this is the first time since I have been alive.:encouragement:

Bless
05-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Yah a DM would send the Kill Seekers to a new category

razerfingers
05-23-2013, 05:45 PM

Here's the follow up:

Here's my idea:

Playing ctf is capture the flag not most kills ever, they should make a DM for ratio people and ctf like in Pl its reasonable to me

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

Cero
05-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Noo, no way!
i dont want this.
i want to just flag the other side while my whole guild army farm my team..
i just want to sit and watch while people dies...

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

thekdub
05-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Introduce a new DM pvp arena. Quit counting kills and deaths in current CTF arena. Problem solved.

Spyce
05-23-2013, 09:24 PM
AL PvP > DL PvP

Blind
05-24-2013, 08:22 PM
The couple of days i played AL for i realised,

Al playeyrs are the most rude
Al players are the weakest
Pl, Sl, at least earliest caps, are much better.
Can't speak for Dl as it is too specific and i just didn't like it.

kharmel
05-26-2013, 02:21 AM
> Agreed with most. And yes jexy,the map says it all. 1
1. AL ctf map doesnt promote CTF gameplay unlike the DL CTF map wherein the gate makes it even challenging. Tactics can be made in DL.(AL tactic=just stick together)
2. AL ctf map is just like a big DM arena that they just like put flag on opposite end for someone to take whenever they want.
3. In AL,flagging is way too easy, unlike DL,1k flag is an epic achievement already.
4. As jexy pointed out mostly, AL ctf map is too small that its so predictable where is the flag takers. In DL, when u go right or left,it will still give u time for them to discover where u go.
* yes robert- AL needs a real CTF match 5v5 and to achieve this;
1. Change the map. Its small,DM arena-like wherein there has flag on the ends.
2. DM arena could be great. But still, if map is not changed or revised,it still looks like DM arena.
** and lastly, imo,what makes this game still playable is because, even without mythic or arcane equips or pets, with TEAMWORk, legendary equips still can win.
++ But its always a plus to have mythics and arcane.
- This is just my MERE AND HONEST OPINION.