PDA

View Full Version : To get an iPad or not to get an iPad?

Ellyidol
10-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Hey guys.

I've been playing PL on my iphone 4 lately, and more than that I love my phone, its my first iphone too.

I REALLY want to get an ipad though I have a few opinions I need.

1. Should I get a 3g+wifi or just wifi? I'm afraid getting the 3g too will add even more cost since I need to get a plan with data (and since I'm from overseas I don't know its gonna work back home).

2. What else can I do on the iPad? Playing PL is a BIG reason for me wanting one, but I don't want it to be the ONLY reason too. I mean a $AU1000 device just to play a game is quite irrational. I'm a 20 year old student if that helps.

Just need your opinions and if I should save up for it and try to put in more hours in work. :)

j46g629h
10-13-2010, 07:06 AM
go get a second hand ipad wifi version and if you don't watch movies or something special, 16g or 32g will just be fine

I personally like using ipad for web browsing

however I will wait till next year Feb~Mar for possible update

Ellyidol
10-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Would you have a rough estimate to how much that would cost?

I don't know if I can write notes or such in the iPad for when I go to lectures to school. Would be handy.

If it's mostly just for web-browsing at home with a wifi connection, I'd rather be using my laptop, thats the thing.

So I'm looking for more mobile/portable functions that it can do. Movies sounds like a good idea, phone is quite small and short-lived for movies.

Arterra
10-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Wait for a new version and buy a second hand old version from eBay.

Ellyidol
10-13-2010, 07:26 AM
By new version you mean a new iDevice? Or new version of iPad like an iPad 2?

j46g629h
10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Would you have a rough estimate to how much that would cost?

I don't know if I can write notes or such in the iPad for when I go to lectures to school. Would be handy.

If it's mostly just for web-browsing at home with a wifi connection, I'd rather be using my laptop, thats the thing.

So I'm looking for more mobile/portable functions that it can do. Movies sounds like a good idea, phone is quite small and short-lived for movies.

I'm not sure if you can do that but I've seen some people use their ipads as lecture note at uni

I study at qut

Ellyidol
10-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Yeah was thinking of that. Though is there some sort of program like an MS word in the iPad? (Sorry not familiar with mac since I don't use one).

QUT stands for? lol

Adamsgb
10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
I really wanted an ipad but I started to steer away from the idea as I just thought about the fact that it's just an iPod with a larger screen. Now I know it can probaly do alot more impressive things but I would rather get an iPhone. Now when they invent something to plug from our iPhone/iPod/ipad into a computer to see the devices screen on the computer that's when I will be very happy;) as the only reason I wanted to buy an ipad was for the bigger screen.I think you should wait until something cool like that does come out. Ipads do also cost ALOT of money.

cry
10-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Ipads fail.

CanonicalKoi
10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't know. I love mine. Typing on it takes some getting used to, but I've typed on worse. It's great for traveling, especially airports with both WiFi and computer stations so you don't run the battery down before getting on the plane. We take a lot of pictures, so I use the camera coupler and off-load the digital camera every evening--don't have to worry about carrying extra memory cards. Pulling up decent sized maps is also nice. Lightweight, video quality is great.... Is it a necessity? No, but I've hardly touched the desktops or my laptop since we got it. As always, YMMV.