PDA

View Full Version : Developer Alts

Rare
05-28-2013, 01:38 PM
So, some recent threads got me to thinking and wondering.

Is there a chance that one of these random people we run around with in game is actually a developer and we don't know it? I'm curious if any of the developers actually have alt accounts, normal user accounts, that they play with. I'm not asking for any names, I'm just wondering if they do.

I was thinking back to days in PL when developers would log on and you could wave at them to get a nice little gift and their towns would always be packed. Saw it in SL too. But I can't really recall except 1 time seeing a developer in Dark Legends. And I don't recall ever seeing one in Arcane Legends.

So, what do you folks think, you think there are developers hidden in game?

iike
05-28-2013, 01:43 PM
They say, a chef always taste the food they're cooking to come up with a very delicious food.

xcainnblecterx
05-28-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm sure of it or some mysterious hacker or extremely wise player. I say that cause doing a run in mt spyr the other day some warrio hit the wolf and he went below half health and boom he left the rest of us to kill him

Bilaxman
05-28-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm sure it's entirely possible. I would think the chance of running into one of their alts would be relatively low since many people play AL.

DocDoBig
05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
I once saw a funny post from G where he stated this. ;)
Since then i keep an eye on what i write in public. LOL

wvhills
05-28-2013, 02:47 PM
i've seen samhayne in game two or three times. He's also said he has a secret warrior alt. Idk if the rest do or not. It seems to me they have a separate server they play on in house because sam and swede have both said that sometimes they get off their in house server and go to a nearby cafe and get on the wifi there to see how things are going. With them not noticing aimed shots description was wrong, how much xp hauntlet and wt4 gives, the way everyone fought alpha wolf, the cones on bosses were out of wack, etc lead me to believe they don't play on our servers that often. I think they code it, test on private servers then push it out.

I can't say I blame them. I wouldn't like taking my work home with me either.

BUT....it would be cool if they came in game more and to know what their secret identities are. hehe.

Pandamoni
05-28-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm sure they do. And you never know when they're going to be in town so watch out what you yell.

Heck, you never know, someone on your friend's list, or who you talk to regularly could be a dev!

Zojak
05-28-2013, 03:43 PM
In short?

Yes.

Rare
05-28-2013, 03:47 PM
In short?

Yes.

Yes... Maybe :D

Zojak
05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Yes... Maybe :D

lol, no, just Yes =]

Rare
05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
lol, no, just Yes =]

You know them? Or do you mean it just seems obvious?

octavos
05-28-2013, 03:58 PM
You know them?

They have stated multiple times that they play these games, without red names..So its true, and yes I do know some of them. I wont post it here considering they help moderate the games.

:ghost:

Rare
05-28-2013, 03:59 PM
They have stated multiple times that they play these games, without red names..So its true, and yes I do know some of them. I wont post it here considering they help moderate the games.

Fair enough

Justg
05-28-2013, 04:01 PM
We absolutely do hang out in game incognito.

Zojak
05-28-2013, 04:15 PM
We absolutely do hang out in game incognito.

Booom!

Ditto ;)

Fyrce
05-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Jeez, of course, yes.

The real question, Aed, is why would they not?!?

Zeus
05-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Apparently Cinco and other devs have played with me when I didn't know they were Cinco and other devs... *shudders*

Rare
05-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Jeez, of course, yes.

The real question, Aed, is why would they not?!?

Well, I NEVER go into BIOS setup on any of my computers at home. Only time I go in is when I'm working or someone reports a bug :)

Jcyee
05-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Now that I think about, I've never seen a dev in AL. The only STS personnel that I've seen in AL (knowingly) was Delphina. I, and a few others, actually had this exact conversation with her!

Regarding DL, I saw Sam there once and that was the first and last time I ever saw a dev in DL.

Always gotta be careful about what you say to who you say; you never know who may be on the other side...

razerfingers
05-28-2013, 09:13 PM
i've seen samhayne in game two or three times. He's also said he has a secret warrior alt. Idk if the rest do or not. It seems to me they have a separate server they play on in house because sam and swede have both said that sometimes they get off their in house server and go to a nearby cafe and get on the wifi there to see how things are going. With them not noticing aimed shots description was wrong, how much xp hauntlet and wt4 gives, the way everyone fought alpha wolf, the cones on bosses were out of wack, etc lead me to believe they don't play on our servers that often. I think they code it, test on private servers then push it out.

I can't say I blame them. I wouldn't like taking my work home with me either.

BUT....it would be cool if they came in game more and to know what their secret identities are. hehe.

This seems plausable. i actually know a certain dev type persons alt lol not gonna name who.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

Alhuntrazeck
05-28-2013, 09:16 PM
I think they use a diff server (cuz on the sneak peek screenies they show some 'admin mode' text at the bottom left). And I'd alr created a thread like this in the Off-topic section and some dev (think G) replied confirming.

kateku
05-28-2013, 10:49 PM
They have their secret character of course for playing privately.
They love the game and play more than we know.
Well, i cant say who is it but there is.

Energizeric
05-29-2013, 12:47 AM
I would guess they all have alts and most probably play quite often. Developers who work on MMOs are probably the biggest fans of such games, so why would they not want to spend time playing the game that they designed.

katish
05-29-2013, 01:27 AM
I used to be a dev back in the old MUD days.. I had a blast possessing NPCs and talking back at the party, summoning minions to invade a city for a quest or just playing anonymously.. BUt it was most fun making it a 'special' day for the players with unexpected things.

Did I just give out too much info on the age/nerdiness topic? O.o

lol

Chaim Nail
05-29-2013, 03:07 AM
I'm sure of it or some mysterious hacker or extremely wise player. I say that cause doing a run in mt spyr the other day some warrio hit the wolf and he went below half health and boom he left the rest of us to kill him

I can almost swear I once saw a pet opening the fixed-in-place chests during a map run once...

crazyangle03
05-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Dev should atleast show up and standby for an hour in 1 of the towns.. it will build a crowd and people will start getting excited to stalk the stats and ask un-ending questions.. it would be fun... i guess.. hahaha

Roberto077
05-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Lol, under cover devs..... Anyways, I believe impersonating a dev for self profit is against the ToS