PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Achievement

Energizeric
05-28-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm going to be a bit selfish here and bring up a subject that personally suits me at this particular time.....

Today after months of merching, farming, doing daily quests and saving my gold, I purchased a Hammerjaw Egg, the first Arcane item I have owned. If I had managed this during the first couple of weeks after Hammerjaw was released, I would have been awarded the Arcane Achievement and Banner. But then this was changed to only award the achievement when someone loots an Arcane item. The reason given was that STS wanted to prevent scamming -- people were begging those with an arcane weapon or mythic helm to borrow the item for the achievement, and then of course they would not give it back. So they eliminated that possibility by not giving the achievement for having possession of the item, only for looting it.

While this was a fine idea on their part, there was no reason for them to apply this logic to an egg. Once the egg is opened, the pet cannot be traded, loaned, given, etc. So there is absolutely no reason for the achievement to not be granted upon hatching an Arcane Egg. Nobody can scam you out of your Hammerjaw (or Glacian) pet.

In its current form it's almost crazy to even call the Arcane Achievement an "achivement" at all. What did someone actually achieve? No amount of hard work or excellence in this game will earn you the Arcane Achievement. You can't buy it for a certain amount of plat either. It's just plain luck like winning a lottery. It's kind of lousy that there is no way I can actually "achieve" this achievement.

It took me about 4 months to save enough gold by merching, farming, and doing daily quests, and I finally managed to save enough gold to buy a Hammerjaw Egg. Now just give me the achievement too!! Lord knows I've spent enough time and done enough hard work to deserve it! Isn't that what the word "achievement" means?

drgrimmy
05-28-2013, 10:24 PM
I completely agree with you on this one, and I think that you deserve the achievement. Unfortunately the achievement is only currently for someone who either is extremely lucky or spends a boatload of plat on crates. Hardly much of an "achievement" in my eyes.

Energizeric
05-28-2013, 10:31 PM
If STS was to make this change, I don't even think they would lose any plat sales. Here are some reasons why:

1) These Arcane eggs/pets are so rare, and each will only grant an achievement one extra time (when looted, and then again when hatched).

2) Some players who do wish to "buy" this achievement, but are not willing to gamble with the crates, will actually purchase gold for plat so that they can buy their egg from someone who looted one.

3) Nobody is opening crates these days to get an Arcane pet. Everyone is going after the more costly Arcane Weapons, and the Mythic Armors/Helms. Prices of Arcane eggs have fallen quite a bit from their peak a couple of months ago. If the achievement were granted for hatching an egg, then prices of these eggs would go up and people may be more inspired to open crates hoping to loot one and sell it for the big reward.

There is really no reason they should not make this change. I can't imagine anyone complaining, and if anything it would encourage some players to farm more and save their gold because they would now have a chance to earn this very rare Achievement and Banner. That is how achievements should be.

Alhuntrazeck
05-28-2013, 11:18 PM
It would be good if they would award the achievement once you open an egg, not just receive it. I see why they wouldn't give the achievement for buying mythic or arcane stuff from the store (you could ask a friend to trade it with you and get u the achiev) but an egg? yeah, an achievement for opening it would be great.

wowdah
05-28-2013, 11:31 PM
True story devs, check it out.

ooommmggg
05-28-2013, 11:48 PM
I agree with you all :)

Jcyee
05-29-2013, 12:29 AM
I don't see any reason not to do this. +1 to this idea.

katish
05-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Agreed - and I wanna add that nothing should drop only from locked crates - IMHO, people can either invest hard earned real life money or hard earned gold got thru farming/merching and neither one of those should be favored in detriment of the other.

Simply because no one person can say which has more value for another person. Money and time invested should be 'valued' the same.

In our game society, one does not exist without the other. There would be no people to open crates if there were no people playing the free game to make this a MMORPG.

So make arcanes drop from chests as well as crates.

Obi
05-29-2013, 01:47 AM
I totally agree. I think they have the code already that could be used for that - this is how other pet achievements are handled, yes? So it should be easy to implement I believe, they could just add another pet achievement for either arcane pet.. the only think that bothers me is that then people would just buy their position on top players LB..

Energizeric
05-29-2013, 01:58 AM
One important issue that comes to mind is if they do implement this they have to then give the achievement to players that have the pets already. For example, if someone purchased a Glacian Egg last week and hatched it, they should get the achievement as well. So maybe the best way to handle this achievement is instead of getting the achievement for hatching the egg, give the achievement for equipping the pet from the stable. That way STS does not need to do any work to give out the achievement to anyone who should have it but missed it.

I know they have the code to do this as in PL there are quite a few achievements that have to do with equipping certain items, not just owning them.

JaytB
05-29-2013, 02:14 AM
This has been brought up several times in the past already (usually by the same small group of people).

Personally, I wouldn't care either way, but seeing it was never taken to heart in the past I can only say I wouldn't get my hopes up.

yoho.
05-29-2013, 02:20 AM
Managed all arcane items (hammerjaw glacian hooks) by merching and farming back in season 3. Complained on forums about it - didn't receive devs attention neither got supported by community - you should loot it they told. Before season 4 I opened 0 crates. I opened crates for 2500 plat and opened about 120 elite golden chests in this season pursuing the achievement (nothing ofc)
What I want to say is: this 'achievement only for lucky gambler' really works for plat sales. I would never open a single crate if I had alternative way to do it.

JaytB
05-29-2013, 02:29 AM
I would never open a single crate if I had alternative way to do it.

And this my friend, is possibly a very good reason for STS to want to keep it as it is.

On the other hand it could also cause those people, who spent tons or plat just to get the achievement, become angry if things get changed at this point in time.

yoho.
05-29-2013, 02:36 AM
And this my friend, is possibly a very good reason for STS to want to keep it as it is.

On the other hand it could also cause those people, who spent tons or plat just to get the achievement, become angry if things get changed at this point in time.

That's my point. People who spent 40k plat to get arcane AP wouldn't be happy of these changes.

Obi
05-29-2013, 04:44 AM
I think there are more people that spend really lot of plats and did not get the achievement than those that spend 40k and did get it finally..

Energizeric
05-29-2013, 12:05 PM
That's my point. People who spent 40k plat to get arcane AP wouldn't be happy of these changes.

I don't see why anyone would spend a ton of plat just trying to get this achievement.....

You can make the leaderboards for "top sorcerer", "top rogue" or "top warrior" without having this achievement. You get the same banner whether you are #2 or #25. The only player who gets a different/better banner is the top player overall for all classes, and there are not that many players who are competing for that spot.

99.9% of players are opening the crates hoping to strike it rich. If they were to make this change, prices of eggs would go up and there would be more incentive to open crates. Plus some players may resort to buying gold with plat in order to buy an Arcane Egg.

As for the very few players who spent a fortune on plat to try to obtain the Arcane Achievement, as was posted above, most of them probably never managed to obtain it so they would be happy to have this change implemented. And for the few who did achieve it previously, they also did get the Arcane item as well, so I don't know how angry they should be. Someone still has to open the crates to get these eggs. You can't go and buy one if none are for sale, and once each one is opened it is off the market forever. They cannot be recycled.

Also, I'll note that nobody has posted in this thread so far and complained about this idea saying that they spent a ton of plat and would feel cheated. These players you are speaking of Jay usually make their voices heard. Let's see if they chime in here.

JaytB
05-29-2013, 12:55 PM
I don't see why anyone would spend a ton of plat just trying to get this achievement.....

I don't see why people open crates for many 1000's of plat just to get a Mythic or Arcane item, still people seem to do that quite regularly. I bet you'd be surprised too if you actually knew what people would do for an achievement.

99.9% of players are opening the crates hoping to strike it rich. If they were to make this change, prices of eggs would go up and there would be more incentive to open crates. Plus some players may resort to buying gold with plat in order to buy an Arcane Egg.

This entire paragraph is pure speculation. I get that you really want this thing to happen, but personally I think it's a bit far fetched. In the same way, I could say that I think that at least 40% of all people opening crates, do this so they can own an Arcane and/or Mythic item (and have the achievement in the process). I mean, look at the amount of Arcane/Mythic items sold on forums and/or in game. There aren't all that many going around. Does that mean they're just so extremely rare, even after people opening so many crates on a daily basis, or is it that people actually keep them instead of selling it off for gold? No way for me to know and, unless you're a dev, no way for you to know either.

As for the price of eggs. Prices would go up right? Now why is that again? That's right, because people would be willing to spend ridiculous amounts of gold just to get that achievement. Here's the thing though, if people can spend 10-20m on an egg, my bet is that for most of those (except the very few merches who actually know what they're doing) a decent amount of plat was involved to get their gold. It wouldn't surprise me that it's exactly those people, who want that achievement that badly, who would spend 1000's of plat to get it.

Also, I'll note that nobody has posted in this thread so far and complained about this idea saying that they spent a ton of plat and would feel cheated. These players you are speaking of Jay usually make their voices heard. Let's see if they chime in here.

10 people (including me, Yoho and you) posted in here and seeing how many people are on the forums as compared to the total AL population, this place is an extremely small sample group. Complaints will only come after things get changed up, you should know that be now.

Let me finish by saying, I didn't mean to disagree with everything you said and you know I like you right? I just wanted to offer another perspective as you're understandingly biased about this whole topic :)

Syylent
05-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Actually it is an achievement. The person who looted the egg, weapon or armor got lucky. You just purchased it from the AH which is no biggie. Most of the "achievements" are lucky related as well.

I think it is fine as is. Let those who get lucky receive the title/flag. Be happy you received hammerjaw.

Achievement means... the act of achieving, a result gained by effort. So what was achieved, in context? For the achievement you must loot a arcane piece. The resulting achievement is the looting. Not the final resting place.

Energizeric
05-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Achievement means... the act of achieving, a result gained by effort. So what was achieved, in context? For the achievement you must loot a arcane piece. The resulting achievement is the looting. Not the final resting place.

See the part I highlighted in your quote above? It took lots of effort for me to earn enough gold to buy the hammerjaw egg. In its current form, the Arcane Achievement does not take any effort. It just a random event like winning the lottery.

Energizeric
05-29-2013, 01:17 PM
As for the price of eggs. Prices would go up right? Now why is that again? That's right, because people would be willing to spend ridiculous amounts of gold just to get that achievement. Here's the thing though, if people can spend 10-20m on an egg, my bet is that for most of those (except the very few merches who actually know what they're doing) a decent amount of plat was involved to get their gold. It wouldn't surprise me that it's exactly those people, who want that achievement that badly, who would spend 1000's of plat to get it.

This was my point exactly. I don't think STS would lose any plat sales. So instead of spending thousands of plat to open crates, they will spend thousands of plat to buy gold so they can buy an egg.

And BTW, the egg has to exist and be for sale. Everyone cannot just decide they will buy an egg instead of looting one. Eggs still have to be looted or else none will be for sale.

yoho.
05-29-2013, 01:27 PM

Most of people I know (devoted players, playing not first season) have enough gold in game and arcane achievement is the thing they are going for opening crates. I am in the same boat with you, Energizeric, I don't like this achievement since it was first introduced with hammerjaw and crates (start of pay to win, imo) and was against it. I am still against, but this ship is already sailed.

Excuses
05-29-2013, 02:25 PM
I have never seen a thread like this that I can't agree more.
Completely agreed.

Achievement by luck or spending money is just.. nvm.

wowdah
05-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Most of people I know (devoted players, playing not first season) have enough gold in game and arcane achievement is the thing they are going for opening crates. I am in the same boat with you, Energizeric, I don't like this achievement since it was first introduced with hammerjaw and crates (start of pay to win, imo) and was against it. I am still against, but this ship is already sailed.

thxxx I couldn't have said it better!

Greencrow
05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
hardwork=success=achievement

I agree with you.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

badness707
05-30-2013, 09:59 AM
If STS was to make this change, I don't even think they would lose any plat sales. Here are some reasons why:

1) These Arcane eggs/pets are so rare, and each will only grant an achievement one extra time (when looted, and then again when hatched).

2) Some players who do wish to "buy" this achievement, but are not willing to gamble with the crates, will actually purchase gold for plat so that they can buy their egg from someone who looted one.

3) Nobody is opening crates these days to get an Arcane pet. Everyone is going after the more costly Arcane Weapons, and the Mythic Armors/Helms. Prices of Arcane eggs have fallen quite a bit from their peak a couple of months ago. If the achievement were granted for hatching an egg, then prices of these eggs would go up and people may be more inspired to open crates hoping to loot one and sell it for the big reward.

There is really no reason they should not make this change. I can't imagine anyone complaining, and if anything it would encourage some players to farm more and save their gold because they would now have a chance to earn this very rare Achievement and Banner. That is how achievements should be.. All I open crates for is to try getting hammerjaw or the arcane hammer. The mythics not that good IMO would rather have arcane. Sux u didn't get achievement but as u said it was to prevent scammers. If u buy the egg and don't open it u shouldn't get achievement/banner. But opening is muuuuch different cause u don't get our gold back if u bought it so u should get achievement/banner.IMO

jhon freddy
05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Selling armor mithic warrior ofert

Syylent
05-30-2013, 02:24 PM
See the part I highlighted in your quote above? It took lots of effort for me to earn enough gold to buy the hammerjaw egg. In its current form, the Arcane Achievement does not take any effort. It just a random event like winning the lottery.

It takes effort for me to get out of bed until I have my third cup of coffee. I don't get an achievement for that. To get to level one is an achievement for me anything higher is a miracle.

I realized you highlighted effort. The effort that is awarded is the looting not the physical resting place. They wanted arcane to be special, I guess. Hence not every Tom, Dick and Harry that touches one will receive it.

Opening a ton of crates requires effort. Working to accumulate money to purchase the plat to open the crate that you must work for to get drop or work for the gold to buy requires effort. Just not the effort you like.

I don't see an issue.

Energizeric
05-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Working to accumulate money to purchase the plat to open the crate that you must work for to get drop or work for the gold to buy requires effort. Just not the effort you like.

I don't see an issue.

Silly me for thinking that Achievements in Arcane Legends had something to do with achieving something in the game and not in my outside life. :stupid:

Swede
05-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Next patch players who have an Arcane pet in their stable, will get the achievement the next time they summon the pet. This means that technically two people can get the achievement, the person looting it and the person using it, to put it in their stable. You still can't give the achievement to a whole bunch of people by trading around the egg, as you have to use the egg to get it.

Syylent
05-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Silly me for thinking that Achievements in Arcane Legends had something to do with achieving something in the game and not in my outside life. :stupid:

:applause:

You get your wish chief. Whine more.. always works.

Energizeric
05-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Next patch players who have an Arcane pet in their stable, will get the achievement the next time they summon the pet. This means that technically two people can get the achievement, the person looting it and the person using it, to put it in their stable. You still can't give the achievement to a whole bunch of people by trading around the egg, as you have to use the egg to get it.

Thanks so much!!! :)

Energizeric
05-30-2013, 03:44 PM
:applause:

You get your wish chief. Whine more.. always works.

As I'm sure those who read this forum regularly know, I rarely whine about anything that STS does. 99% of the time I'm their biggest supporter. When I do see something that I believe should be changed, I post a constructive suggestion like this one. Whining does not help anything. ;)

Contrary to popular belief around here, STS does want to do what is best for their game, provided it can still be profitable for them. So yes, it has to make sense financially as they are a business with a payroll, expenses, etc. But provided that it makes sense financially, they usually do listen to what the majority of players ask for. They do want to make us happy.

Syylent
05-30-2013, 03:54 PM
As I'm sure those who read this forum regularly know, I rarely whine about anything that STS does. 99% of the time I'm their biggest supporter. When I do see something that I believe should be changed, I post a constructive suggestion like this one. Whining does not help anything. ;)

Contrary to popular belief around here, STS does want to do what is best for their game, provided it can still be profitable for them. So yes, it has to make sense financially as they are a business with a payroll, expenses, etc. But provided that it makes sense financially, they usually do listen to what the majority of players ask for. They do want to make us happy.

I have been reading the boards probably as long as you. I stick my nose in when I see so fit. I think it should be rare that someone gets the achievement and it should be for looting, hence my statement. Silly me providing an example of "effort". I guess your example of effort was more "game friendly".:sleeping:

Contrary to popular belief, it is STS' game. They provide the content. I provide them money with services, as do others. My green is just as good as yours or anyone else's green for that matter. I pay them and when I have had enough I will stop paying them.

" But provided that it makes sense financially, they usually do listen to what the majority of players ask for" SO enlighten me how giving soe one the acheivement for their effort of buying it with gold {I bought a bone chill bow with gold, can I get an achievement, I put the effort into buying it?} makes financial sense to them.

Either way it's a moot point as they will change. Why I stated you get you wish chief.:disgust:

yoho.
05-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks so much!!! :)

Well done, Energizeric! I wish you had your hammerjaw before, that would have saved me disappointment opening crates. Nice news anyway.

Energizeric
05-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Well done, Energizeric! I wish you had your hammerjaw before, that would have saved me disappointment opening crates. Nice news anyway.

Thank you! :)

Someone still has to loot these Arcane Eggs or else there will be none for sale. Now with the achievement coming from opening the egg, I would expect these eggs will go for lots more gold than before. So even more of an incentive to open crates for some players hoping to strike it rich. I would guess in the coming days/weeks finding an Arcane Egg for sale is going to be like finding a Dragon Item for sale in PL last summer. Players are going to swarm after them when they are up for sale, especially if they also give a stat buff to Hammerjaw & Glacian as they have been hinting that they will do -- and this is what makes things much more fun. :)

Obi
05-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Well done Energizeric!

katish
05-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Ene, good arguments, and congrats to us all :)

Haligali
05-31-2013, 10:36 AM
I sold my glacian egg before :(

Energizeric
05-31-2013, 10:55 AM
I sold my glacian egg before :(

Glacian was already really expensive because he is the newer/rarer arcane pet, so I don't know if the price of his egg will go up very much, but I would expect the price of the Hammerjaw egg to go up some as it had fallen as low as 8-9m.

Deadroth
05-31-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm going to be a bit selfish here and bring up a subject that personally suits me at this particular time.....

Today after months of merching, farming, doing daily quests and saving my gold, I purchased a Hammerjaw Egg, the first Arcane item I have owned. If I had managed this during the first couple of weeks after Hammerjaw was released, I would have been awarded the Arcane Achievement and Banner. But then this was changed to only award the achievement when someone loots an Arcane item. The reason given was that STS wanted to prevent scamming -- people were begging those with an arcane weapon or mythic helm to borrow the item for the achievement, and then of course they would not give it back. So they eliminated that possibility by not giving the achievement for having possession of the item, only for looting it.

While this was a fine idea on their part, there was no reason for them to apply this logic to an egg. Once the egg is opened, the pet cannot be traded, loaned, given, etc. So there is absolutely no reason for the achievement to not be granted upon hatching an Arcane Egg. Nobody can scam you out of your Hammerjaw (or Glacian) pet.

In its current form it's almost crazy to even call the Arcane Achievement an "achivement" at all. What did someone actually achieve? No amount of hard work or excellence in this game will earn you the Arcane Achievement. You can't buy it for a certain amount of plat either. It's just plain luck like winning a lottery. It's kind of lousy that there is no way I can actually "achieve" this achievement.

It took me about 4 months to save enough gold by merching, farming, and doing daily quests, and I finally managed to save enough gold to buy a Hammerjaw Egg. Now just give me the achievement too!! Lord knows I've spent enough time and done enough hard work to deserve it! Isn't that what the word "achievement" means?

Why do You say the same what i need to say XD Great feedback and i agree in 100,01% :)

Greencrow
05-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Wish granted :)

Case closed. lol

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

Lady_Pebbles
05-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Finally! Thanks Swede!

badness707
05-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Thread closed problem solved

Rare
05-31-2013, 10:46 PM

Just pets or weapons to?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Lok
06-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Just pets or weapons to?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I believe that weapon will only grant achievement when you have looted it, but not through trading.

Otherwise, one arcane weapon can help every player to gain the achievement.

juaki
06-01-2013, 01:43 AM

The result of this.... higher price for them. I hope the achievement only can get it with pets. Grats to automatic 11800 - 11900 ap players. Sorry for the ones that had reached top leaderboard with effort and plat.... pve puts top players in best position.

Silverletomi
06-01-2013, 01:48 AM
U deserve it its what u get from working hard

Silverletomi
06-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Only egg maybe weapons u have to loot it to get the achieve armours and helm mythic or arcane

Aniscater
06-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Nice job Energi:)

Rare
06-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I believe that weapon will only grant achievement when you have looted it, but not through trading.

Otherwise, one arcane weapon can help every player to gain the achievement.

Makes sense. Im dumb lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Zanpakuto
06-03-2013, 12:56 AM
I agree with u