Thread: Tank bear build and skill discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Question Tank bear build and skill discussion

Hi, I am playing my bear, now it is lvl75, heading to lvl76.

I want to discussion how to be a tank bear in PVE:

1. Str/Dex or full Str, Which is better?
    Now I am str/dex, but I will try full Str when I capped.
    2. 2H weapon or 1H+shield?
    Hard to say, I prefer 1H+shield. Anyone playing 2H can give your suggestion
    3. Skills suggestion?
    Max DODGE skill and DEBUFF skill...

What is your opinion?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

If you wish to tank to the max, use full Str. I don't recommend doing it though, you will need better hit% to hit your debuffs. Pure Str in PvP kinda sucks.
    All 4 buffs and Hell Scream should be maxed.

I Bes Behr : The Guide
    PL-Demon, Warrior, Behr, Light, Rot, Eat, Bank, Bracelet, Icasthard, Forerun, Embarrass

AL-Rot, Compose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

150 str and the rest dex with a savage set. All buffs should be maxed

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

In PvE tank is useless if it cannot hit his pulls or stomps to CC effectively. So STR/DEX hybrid is recommended to hit ur skills. I do not know a build as I am a bird guy myself but as a tank CCing is ur thing and u need to hit ur targets in order to do so.

EDIT: Yeah, about gearing. 1H and shield is mostly used because it has the most armor and it's damage is quite good as well. Using a 2H gives u more damage but u loose armor quite a bit and the extra damage isn't worth the armor loss. If u want to do good damage while tanking, u can be a dexbear. Tonyfish (or something like that) is one of the best tanks currently in this game and he is a dexbear. He dishes good amount of damage while still being able to control the mobs.

In the end, there's actually no matter what gear to use as a tanking bear. With good enough skills and knowledge about correctly tanking u can choose the gear what to use. But 1H and shield is the most forgiving gear as it gives the most armor and is thus the most used gear.
    Last edited by dudetus; 06-06-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    273 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto077 View Post
    150 str and the rest dex with a savage set. All buffs should be maxed
    You need 157 str to be able to equip savage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    In PvE tank is useless if it cannot hit his pulls or stomps to CC effectively. So STR/DEX hybrid is recommended to hit ur skills. I do not know a build as I am a bird guy myself but as a tank CCing is ur thing and u need to hit ur targets in order to do so.

EDIT: Yeah, about gearing. 1H and shield is mostly used because it has the most armor and it's damage is quite good as well. Using a 2H gives u more damage but u loose armor quite a bit and the extra damage isn't worth the armor loss. If u want to do good damage while tanking, u can be a dexbear. Tonyfish (or something like that) is one of the best tanks currently in this game and he is a dexbear. He dishes good amount of damage while still being able to control the mobs.

In the end, there's actually no matter what gear to use as a tanking bear. With good enough skills and knowledge about correctly tanking u can choose the gear what to use. But 1H and shield is the most forgiving gear as it gives the most armor and is thus the most used gear.
    Isn't tony fish a Mage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    274 Posts

Tonyfish is a pally...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheeniviepl67 View Post
    You need 157 str to be able to equip savage
    Thought it was less. Beastly is only 145

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Chill the cs is 2 clicks away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Here is my set-up:

Name:  Screenshot_2013-06-06-09-04-27.png
Views: 153
Size:  428.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2013-06-06-09-04-56.png
Views: 154
Size:  282.4 KB

As yo can see, the boulder requires you to almost go pure strength. However, it provides everything a good tank needs, including very good hit% for being almost pure. I should also note, I do not have a ring equipped during this time, this is all strictly stats from attribute points and gear. For PvE only, this is what I recommend.

As far as skills go, it is quite simple: Max out everything with exception of the slashes (1 point each) and restore (not needed as you will dodge quite a bit and have health pots to spam and mage's/rhino's to heal.)

Any other questions, just ask.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Here is my set-up:

As yo can see, the boulder requires you to almost go pure strength. However, it provides everything a good tank needs, including very good hit% for being almost pure. I should also note, I do not have a ring equipped during this time, this is all strictly stats from attribute points and gear. For PvE only, this is what I recommend.

As far as skills go, it is quite simple: Max out everything with exception of the slashes (1 point each) and restore (not needed as you will dodge quite a bit and have health pots to spam and mage's/rhino's to heal.)

415-450 damage unbuffed! Must be good for 1 combo KOs! ;D

I Bes Behr : The Guide
    PL-Demon, Warrior, Behr, Light, Rot, Eat, Bank, Bracelet, Icasthard, Forerun, Embarrass

AL-Rot, Compose

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    415-450 damage unbuffed! Must be good for 1 combo KOs! ;D
    And as I said, this is without a ring. Let's just say, when I get a 3x blessing, I can clear just about any map with just beckon/stomp (as long as the mobs aren't in "mega-dodge" mode of course.)
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Full strengh savage bears with elite ring and dodge face get 97 dodge buffed, now only if taunt and beckon at lv9 had a __% (70-85ish) chance to guarantee the pull and aggro, then full str bears would be beast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

For pure "tanking" full str gives max health and dodge but comes at the cost of low hit chance and missing combos, in addition to low damage.

For "hit and damage" str/dex is better. Has higher hit chance and damage, but less health and health regen and dodge.

1h and shield is better for armor and survivability and taking damage but less damage.
    2h is more killing but less survivability

It depends on what you prefer.
    PL:Xxkoopyxx~Xpertfarmer~Avianftw~Ithepvptwink~ Expertfarmer~Gratuity~Theaviantwink~Bearocalypsed~ Tehmagetwink~Tehbeartwink~Koopymerch+more AL:Thepvptwink~Xxkoopyxx~Ithepvptwink SL: Thepvptwink DL: Thepvptwink

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thx, I read your amazing guide of bear!

Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    If you wish to tank to the max, use full Str. I don't recommend doing it though, you will need better hit% to hit your debuffs. Pure Str in PvP kinda sucks.
    All 4 buffs and Hell Scream should be maxed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thx, I agree that I need hit% to ccing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Wow, it is very useful to me, Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Here is my set-up:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

thanks, I would like to try both build and feel the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePvpTwink View Post
    For pure "tanking" full str gives max health and dodge but comes at the cost of low hit chance and missing combos, in addition to low damage.

For "hit and damage" str/dex is better. Has higher hit chance and damage, but less health and health regen and dodge.

1h and shield is better for armor and survivability and taking damage but less damage.
    2h is more killing but less survivability

It depends on what you prefer.