Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

Lightbulb

Hello fellow sorcerers,

[Edit: heh it's a text wall but please do read]

let me share a few thoughts I have
    First, I don't do or plan to do PvP so feel free to instruct me on that.
    Also, I don't quite understand how Curse works, or how to use it, more on this below.
    Finally, I am just lv 33 playing 5th week so I still learn.

A few general ideas first: I came to believe that having the right skill ready is better than having 5% more damage, so in the end, I chose to get all skills except Curse. Of course I need to consider every skill point very carefully.
    Also, the only thing people agree on a perfect Sorcerer build is to go all INT, but I prefer to be still alive to deliver a 2nd hit, so I give like 1/5 of stat points to STR, bypassing DEX. It might change with STR/mythic gear but it has served me well in the past.
    Finally, this is a general question but it seems that criticals only do +50% damage so multiplied with a few % for crit, I completely ignore all crit-related stats. To support the +50% hypothesis, it obviously has to be less than the +150% of the lightning.

So let's get to it. There are 3 different situations I find myself in, plus 1 or 2 for PvP.

Crowd mode: screen full of mobs
    Fire, Frost, Time, Heal

Mobs mode: a mob here and there
    Fire, Frost, Gale, Heal

Boss mode: (not that I can take a boss solo, not even the first Bloodhammer)
    Fire, Frost, Lightning, Shield

Now for the points:
    Fire: 4/5 a,b,c since the idea above seems correct to me.
    Lightning: 2/5 a since I only use it in boss fights who cannot be stunned (never even tried), and I ignore crit.
    Gale: 4-5/5 a,c,d as an all-purpose to hit as strong as a fireball, and bail out if surrounded, plus for timed runs. Also not sure about AoE since the Dash seems to do the same but it might be a bug.
    Frost: 4/5 a,b,c since the patch is OK but not that much.
    Shield: 3/5 a,c since I don't use shield in mobs mode and I bet bosses cannot be thrown around. Also, I use shield as a panic button so there's no time to charge for invulnerability.
    Time: 4/5 a,c,d since you want the mobs to be dead by the time the clock expires.
    Curse: 0/5 since it seems it only affects 2+2 targets in a limited range. I would love someone to enlighten me on its use.
    Heal: 3-5/5 b,d (mana) + c + a great money saver; +100 HP might be not worth it; friends should know to come close to get healed

This leaves 11 points tops, that is 5 for INT, rest for STR, and the remaining point is better spent on skills than passives IMHO.

Now let me answer some comments in advance.
    C: I am lv 36 all arcane and you got it completely wrong.
    A: Thank you. Please leave.

C: You should go all INT.
    A: Please explain how do I remedy the 1hit problem with bosses.

C: The idea of using many skills is wrong.
    A: Yep but I really believe the few % I would get is better spent on buying lightning and gale and heal etc.

Any other comments are welcome. Sorry to ask this at the end of free respec but that's why I am asking in the first place.

Milan
    Last edited by Milan Lame Man; 09-15-2013 at 12:10 PM.