Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: iPad 4 or iPad Mini?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

ipad mini

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Argyros View Post
    I'd recommend neither, I'd go with nexus 7, over mini, and nexus 10 over iPad 4. But if you are a Apple guy if definitely go with the IPad 4. Mini does not feel as comfortable.
    I had the Nexus 7. Actually, I still have it but due to the problems listed above, I am fed up with the device. I had/have the Kindle Fire HD as well. That device also had many, many issues. Honestly, while they may be nice to use in the short run, I'd prefer reliability.

Nexus 10, I've heard also loses out to the iPad 4.
    I didn't read the earlier posts, I believe the Samsung galaxy tab 3 10.1 is in competition with the iPad 4... But ya definitely go with the iPad 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ipad4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Go with a 4... Ask me more questions if you need to ! I just don't like the mini ._. ... Just doesn't feel right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noodleleg View Post
    Go with a 4... Ask me more questions if you need to ! I just don't like the mini ._. ... Just doesn't feel right.
    White or black?
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    "Top notch" compared to other apple products maybe. 1.4 ghz dual core processor, 1 gig of RAM, and the SGX 554 (iirc) are not top notch internals by any means. Even the iPad's display has been out by the Nexus 10. .4" larger display and still a higher pixel density.
    iPad 4's color is arguably superior to Nexus 10's color. Also, the GPU far outperforms the Nexus 10 which uses almost an inadequate GPU to power it's very high PPI & resolution screen.

I prefer a balance of GPU and CPU power versus the CPU being so powerful and the GPU leaving the user desiring more raw power.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

iPad 4's color is arguably superior to Nexus 10's color. Also, the GPU far outperforms the Nexus 10 which uses almost an inadequate GPU to power it's very high PPI & resolution screen.

I prefer a balance of GPU and CPU power versus the CPU being so powerful and the GPU leaving the user desiring more raw power.
    Have you used a Nexus 10 in person before? Color isn't even a factor for high end tablets anymore, what it comes down to is saturation. In which case, neither are better, it's what you're used to. It's just like arguing AMOLED displays look far better, it's pure opinion.

Nexus 10 > iPad 4 on internals. There's no arguing the numbers, Apple never has been a big impressor when it comes to their processors. Only difference is iPad has a lot less power to push. The monotone, unchanged 2007 OS, inability to truly multitask, etc. Can bring in other factors like RAM (Nexus' 2gb >iPad's 1gb), but alone, 1.7 GHz ARM Cortex-A15 wins.
    Last edited by KingFu; 06-22-2013 at 02:58 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KingFu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

I like my retina :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noodleleg View Post
    I like my retina :3
    Still hate that marketing term -.-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts

I think i'm going to go for the iPad Mini, the price is much nicer for my wallet, and i like the smaller size for what i'll be using it for, + ill be getting the keyboard case to help with mah workz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

David's a "I need 10 ping" person

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zojak View Post
    I think i'm going to go for the iPad Mini, the price is much nicer for my wallet, and i like the smaller size for what i'll be using it for, + ill be getting the keyboard case to help with mah workz
    I ended up getting an iPad 4 in white with a Logitech slim keyboard case.

Also, David, whatever the reason is, a weak GPU is a weak GPU. It is simply not powerful enough for the Nexus 7, which is why the iPad wins IMO. Both are plenty fast but iPad is more versatile especially in the graphics department.

What you do not realize is, yes, it lacks true multi tasking but however these specs put on the iOS perform exceptionally well. Apple's optimization of specs is amazing and it is why they can get away with weaker processors that are still extremely fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Also, David, whatever the reason is, a weak GPU is a weak GPU. It is simply not powerful enough for the Nexus 7, which is why the iPad wins IMO. Both are plenty fast but iPad is more versatile especially in the graphics department.

What you do not realize is, yes, it lacks true multi tasking but however these specs put on the iOS perform exceptionally well. Apple's optimization of specs is amazing and it is why they can get away with weaker processors that are still extremely fast.
    1) I've been referring to the Nexus 10 this whole time, not the Nexus 7. That may be where your argument is coming from, otherwise, I don't see how you're arguing with numbers.

2) But when they're purely paired up, the Nexus still wins, which is the argument I was making. So yes, I do realize it, I even said it in this thread -.-

Only difference is iPad has a lot less power to push
    Like I said, at the end of the day, you're gonna lose an argument if you're arguing against factual numbers lol. Just because there's an Apple on the back of the product doesn't mean you can give it more credit. I'm saying this as I type on an iPad even. The thing I began saying is still true, which is, the iPad does not have "top notch" internals like Wound stated. Which you agreed with when you referred to them as "weaker processors". I'm not doubting that Apple utilizes/makes up for them with their software. Even if I see that as a bad thing.
    Last edited by KingFu; 06-22-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

1) I've been referring to the Nexus 10 this whole time, not the Nexus 7. That may be where your argument is coming from, otherwise, I don't see how you're arguing with numbers.

2) But when they're purely paired up, the Nexus still wins, which is the argument I was making. So yes, I do realize it, I even said it in this thread -.-

Like I said, at the end of the day, you're gonna lose an argument if you're arguing against factual numbers lol. Just because there's an Apple on the back of the product doesn't mean you can give it more credit. I'm saying this as I type on an iPad even. The thing I began saying is still true, which is, the iPad does not have "top notch" internals like Wound stated. Which you agreed with when you referred to them as "weaker processors". I'm not doubting that Apple utilizes/makes up for them with their software. Even if I see that as a bad thing.

Hey David,

I meant Nexus 10, but I am just so used to saying Nexus 7, lol.

1. Nexus 10, as I said before has a higher ppi but lower color vibrancy. To me, this is a big difference especially when the PPI in both devices is so high, it does not really matter between the 264 to 299 pp.

2. GPU, even if it may be stronger in the Nexus 10, which I don't think it is (You can prove me wrong in this as I have not checked.) does not perform as well. As said before, if the specs do not match up to performance, what is the point of specs? For me, both devices are plenty fast but I'd rather take a .5 second loss while opening applications versus taking a loss to GPU which is growing increasingly important in mobile devices of this era.

3. I have watched many comparison videos and the Nexus 10 is noticably worse in the GPU department. Honestly, there's no doubt about it. I could care less if the PPI is higher as both are already so incredibly high, I'd rather take a small and unnoticeable loss in PPI.

David, I beta'd Android when it first came out and stuck with Android till the iPhone 4 came out. Then, I left it. Why? It's shoddy & unreliable. Also, many of the applications are sub-par. Now, I tried Android again and while it has improved greatly, it is not quite there yet for me to make the jump. They still have many things to improve on, most importantly, build quality. I want to be able to buy a product and know there is an easy way to return it if problems arise. Also, I'd rather not problems show up in the first place!

Lastly, I called the GPUs in most Android devices weaker. Now when there's a device whose CPU bests the iPad's and while it has slightly worse graphics performance, it still comes close to the range of the iPad price wise. To me, the extra money for better customer service, support, and reliability is a no brainer.

I'm still trying to get my Nexus 7 replaced. Yes, I did buy it from the Play store. Also, dad is buying a Nexus 10 soon so I will get back to you on issues with that device when I have the chance.

I'm sorry, but until Google fixes critical issues, I don't think I will ever touch another Android product, tablet-wise, again despite the "freedom". (Yes, I appreciated the freedom.)
    Last edited by Zeus; 06-23-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

1) Closer to 300 PPI. To which I asked, have you used it in real life? Or are you going off what a review online said?

2) I already stated both of them lol. The GPU itself is superior. Same question as above ^

3) You're really emphasizing on the pixel density. I stated it once. You're ignoring what I said when I stated I was showing the iPad didn't have "top notch" internals, and that the Nexus 10 has superior internals. That's a fact. Real life use isn't relevant as that varies per person. I've 4 different iPads (gens 1-3), and 3 different android tablets, 2 of those I felt were truly better in real life use. Others felt differently. I was comparing the internals independently.

Build quality is purely on the manufacturers. You're saying as if it were in relation to it being an android device. Take a look at devices like the Oppo Find 5, or HTC One. Not the S4. The aren't weaker -.- You're arguing with set numbers, which is pointless. You can say they're weaker, but in the end, they're not. Already stated they have more power to push. iOS lays much less work onto it's processors, which enables apple to use "weaker processors" (something you used to refer to the iPad, then switched and used in reference to Android tablets as a collective). Not to mention, the 3 things you stated lay upon the companies themselves, not directly Google. Android branches out to companies like Asus, Motorola, Samsung, and countless others. Anyone that knows that knows Android at all knows one device varies greatly from another due to different manufacturers. I've had customer service issues with everyone from Motorola to Verizon to...wait for it...Apple (omg!). I'm sure I've had some kind of problem with Google, but nothing that I can remember clearly. Just goes to show it varies per person and their perspective. In the end, numbers are numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I love those Apple/iOS vs Android discussions. It's almost as if people got either shares from Apple or Google and are trying to justify their investment.

I own both iOS and Android devices. For phones I prefer Android because I have a much greater choice of screen sizes and handsets, for tablets I prefer iOS because there are way more apps that are optimized for the bigger screen as compared to Android tablets.

Bottom line is, both Android and iOS devices have their pros and cons but they're both good in my eyes.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I love those Apple/iOS vs Android discussions. It's almost as if people got either shares from Apple or Google and are trying to justify their investment.

I own both iOS and Android devices. For phones I prefer Android because I have a much greater choice of screen sizes and handsets, for tablets I prefer iOS because there are way more apps that are optimized for the bigger screen as compared to Android tablets.

Bottom line is, both Android and iOS devices have their pros and cons but they're both good in my eyes.
    This is exactly how I feel. I would not mind having an android phone, but for tablets, Apple definitely has them beat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

1) Closer to 300 PPI. To which I asked, have you used it in real life? Or are you going off what a review online said?

2) I already stated both of them lol. The GPU itself is superior. Same question as above ^

3) You're really emphasizing on the pixel density. I stated it once. You're ignoring what I said when I stated I was showing the iPad didn't have "top notch" internals, and that the Nexus 10 has superior internals. That's a fact. Real life use isn't relevant as that varies per person. I've 4 different iPads (gens 1-3), and 3 different android tablets, 2 of those I felt were truly better in real life use. Others felt differently. I was comparing the internals independently.

Build quality is purely on the manufacturers. You're saying as if it were in relation to it being an android device. Take a look at devices like the Oppo Find 5, or HTC One. Not the S4. The aren't weaker -.- You're arguing with set numbers, which is pointless. You can say they're weaker, but in the end, they're not. Already stated they have more power to push. iOS lays much less work onto it's processors, which enables apple to use "weaker processors" (something you used to refer to the iPad, then switched and used in reference to Android tablets as a collective). Not to mention, the 3 things you stated lay upon the companies themselves, not directly Google. Android branches out to companies like Asus, Motorola, Samsung, and countless others. Anyone that knows that knows Android at all knows one device varies greatly from another due to different manufacturers. I've had customer service issues with everyone from Motorola to Verizon to...wait for it...Apple (omg!). I'm sure I've had some kind of problem with Google, but nothing that I can remember clearly. Just goes to show it varies per person and their perspective. In the end, numbers are numbers.
    http://globetechhub.com/mali-t604-vs...vs-intel-xolo/

Even if it the GPU itself is superior, as I've stated many times, it simply does not translate in real life use. I don't care if the Nexus 10 has more pixels to push because the performance suffers.

As for the screen, I'll go check one out today and get back to you. To me, color is a highly important factor so if both have unnoticeable difference in color density but colors are washed out on the Nexus 10 (as they were on the Nexus 7) the screen of the iPad 4 will still be a winner to me.

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

Buy the iPad 4.
    Getting an iPad for the bigger screen right?
    Why buy a iPad Mini when the screen is smaller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Ooo, so Parf's got the Logitech too xD...! I feel like I have big influence :3...

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.