Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: locked crate suggestion to make everybody happy (devs and players)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    I don't think adding gold to the economy will drive down prices, but it will make it so that more players have enough gold to buy expensive items.

Let's use a real life example of how AL's economy currently exists:

Imagine if most people lived in a dirty old apartment in the projects, and then the only nicer homes that existed were big estates that cost $10m+. Who in their right mind would work hard hoping to move up in the world. $10m is an impossible amount that most people realize they will never earn in a lifetime. So why even try then....

But now if nicer apartments existed, and maybe cheaper houses, then people are more motivated to work hard and move up in the world. You need small incremental rewards for success. The "noble" gear and other "elite pinks" were supposed to be that. But the cheap crate pinks have stats almost as good for 2% of the price, and those cheap items have made it so that anyone can play for 2 days and make enough gold to afford them.

Unfortunately, once you have achieved everything you see as possible in a game, it fast becomes boring to continue playing. Having the items be more rare is what actually keeps it interesting. I know everyone wants things to be easier, but that's not the answer. When you want those items, of course you want them to be easier to obtain. But once you obtain everything you want, the game will become boring very fast.

Instead, the solution to keeping things interesting is to make the game have small incremental steps that reward each level of success. So perhaps when you start playing you initially can only have green or purple gear. Then after playing for a couple of weeks you can now afford the cheapest pink items. Then after working hard for another few weeks, you can afford the regular pinks. And then after playing for a couple of months, now maybe the elite pinks are within your grasp. And play for another month or two and now you can afford your first mythic item, etc. There should always be something better out there. Nobody should have all the best items. If someone does, then those items are too common and there needs to be some items that are more rare, exclusive and more expensive. That is just my opinion and is the kind of game I prefer to play.

But in general, it has to be easier for us to get to the next level of achievement. The problem isn't the high prices of mythic or arcane items. The problem is that with the way the current farming system is, it would take me farming 10 hours per day for 10 years to save up enough gold to buy another arcane item. In PL it took me 3 months to save up enough gold (26m) to afford my first dragon set last year. But most days I saw progress. I'd farm for 3 hours and I'd have 80k or 100k to show for it. Now in AL you can farm for 3 hours and actually lose money. It's really that bad.

So my main point is this.... I don't care if plat spenders are going to be the ones to loot the arcane and mythic items in crates. That's fine to me. But I want a way that is within my ability to be able to save up enough gold to be the guy who buys that arcane or mythic item from them after they loot it. I don't mind if it takes me some time to get there, but it has to be possible. A couple of months ago it was very possible. Right now it isn't.
    A games economy has never equaled that of real life. One is pixels one isn't.

This game is no exception. In a game one can hit the switch, rl one can't.

Darko is right though.. getting crap in a 15 plat crate is ludicrous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Syylent View Post
    A games economy has never equaled that of real life. One is pixels one isn't.

This game is no exception. In a game one can hit the switch, rl one can't.

Darko is right though.. getting crap in a 15 plat crate is ludicrous.
    It doesn't matter though. Your choices are either you get "crap" or you get nothing. If it's not nothing, it will become crap at the rate crates are opened.

Just to throw this out there... I opened about 35 crates and have made over 700k off what I received. One of those being mccraw egg (best item I got). So I'll say 450k off 34 crates and still selling.

So maybe we need to define "crap"

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Rare; 06-25-2013 at 09:40 AM.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    It doesn't matter though. Your choices are either you get "crap" or you get nothing. If it's not nothing, it will become crap at the rate crates are opened.

Just to throw this out there... I opened about 35 crates and have made over 700k off what I received. One of those being mccraw egg (best item I got). So I'll say 450k off 34 crates and still selling.

So maybe we need to define "crap"

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    I opened around maybe 5 crates up to one point. I decided to open one more and got "crap". I got mad and decided the heck with it I will spend the last 15 plat and forget it. Out popped the maul. I sold it and promptly got scammed by a close ig friend for close to 10 mill. He is no longer an ig friend. I got to farm him the other night in pvp - was nice (he was even 2 lvls higher). I gave a bunch of the rest of the gold away to friends. My response to those close AL friends was "it is just pixels". I still get teased about it today from guildies. It makes me laugh.

At that point I was probably one of the richest in AL if not "the" richest.

I have opened maybe 10 crates since then. All crap I mean garbage. 150 plat for garden utensils and housing decor.

I still say I agree with darko.. crap should not come from a locked chest. This is a game not a life. Blues and white are worse than crap.. One thing they may do is lower the variance between whites and pinks, well maybe blues and pinks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    Shouldn't locked crates have better items than elite chests as they aren't free to open?? Make the actual drop rate of locked crates lower so not so liquidated......all customers would love u for this...put platinum into pets and vanities.....not crates...
    Elite chest are much more rare since it will ONLY drop for players running elite maps. Crates can drop anywhere, anytime. It would not be good for pinks just popping up everywhere, and then many pinks would be worthless.
    Justthat-lv16 warrior
    ValconX-lv22 mage