Thread: The dreaded "Server down for maintenance" error...what you can do!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

Default The dreaded "Server down for maintenance" error...what you can do!

So you tried to login to PL only to get a message that the "server is down for maintenance". Even more annoyingly, you keep getting this message every time you try to connect. What can you do? This post is intended to give you some tips for figuring out where the problem lies.

The first thing to know is that "server down for maintenance" is a misleading message. It should really say "unable to connect to server", because that's what it really means. But there are lots of reasons you might not be able to connect, so what can you do? Here are some steps to help diagnose your connection issues.

Troubleshooting connection to PL server
    1. Check whether the server really is down for maintenance. PL servers are almost never down, but it doesn't hurt to check. You can come here to the forums or go to the PL facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pocketlegends?fref=ts. If the server really is down, you'll see other people posting about it.
    2. Check that your network connection is up. Try loading some other content, such as a webpage, to make sure your device has a working data connection. (Although if you did step 1 above you have already proved your connection is not completely down.)
    3. Try connecting from a different device. Since PL can be played from lots of different devices, you can see if it's your device that's having a problem by trying a different one. If your phone isn't working, try connecting from a computer http://account.spacetimestudios.com/pocketlegends/, a tablet, etc. Maybe try a friend's device. If another device can connect, then it's not really a server problem. Go to the next steps on your failing device to learn more.
    4. Try a different network connection type. It's actually fairly common that you travel to a different place and suddenly your device can't connect to PL. Many public networks, like hotels, libraries, etc. restrict the types of connections they allow. If wifi isn't working on your phone, try turning it off and using your phone's network (i.e. 3G/4G). Or try connecting to a different wifi network. You may have to force the PL app to close and relaunch after you change connection types to make it work again. (See below for details.)
    5. Try a different location. Sometimes you're just not in very good coverage, which hampers PL's ability to connect. Try moving to better coverage as indicated by the signal strength on your device. Or connect to a wired network if that's a possibility. Once again, you may have to force the PL app to close first to really know if it's working again.

Forcing PL app to close
    Sometimes the PL app needs to be forced to close so it can load over from scratch if it gets stuck on the "server down for maintenance" page. Here's how to do that.

Android device
    1. Enter the "manage apps" screen. It's probably available from the system menu on the home screen, or else in the settings.
    2. Select Pocket Legends app.
    3. Choose the "force stop" option.

Apple device
    1. Press the main square button twice to bring up the list of running apps along the bottom.
    2. Scroll to Pocket Legends.
    3. Press and hold Pocket Legends until all icons start shaking and red minus signs appear on them.
    4. Press the minus sign on Pocket Legends. It will go away.
    5. Press the main square button once to stop the shaking and again to exit the app list.

Hopefully this post will be helpful the next time you find yourself unable to connect to PL.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fusionstrike For This Useful Post:

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Glad that this does not happen to me.
    Although, Thanks for the good tips Fuse!

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    273 Posts

Ive tried connecting on my computer and it gets stuck at 44% all the time even after ive tried many things, any tips?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheeniviepl67 View Post
    Ive tried connecting on my computer and it gets stuck at 44% all the time even after ive tried many things, any tips?
    I believe that's something different, I'll give an explanation later.

Have you tried flash yet? Does it get stuck, too?

Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

Yeah I've not gotten that myself, but I suspect a browser problem of some kind. I would try different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE) as well as cache clearing on any/all of them. I suspect you've probably already tried this sort of thing though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    273 Posts

Yup tried Firefox and it sends me to chrome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Yup tried Firefox and it sends me to chrome
    Here are links to them:
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-Your-Feedback

Try to un-install chrome and then to use them, also check that you have the latest flash version.

Regarding chrome; this was and still is a frequently problem with all games last weeks, although in fact it's Chrome who brings up the problems, not STS.
    The Devs are already looking into this.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...formation-Here

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne
    Unfortunately, this is not a universal problem. It appears to be a system specific issue. The problem that causes Chrome to get stuck also isn't specific to just our game. If you try playing other Chrome Apps that use Native Client you will likely encounter the same problem. We are working with Google to help to address the issue, but at this time we don't have any further official suggestions than the ones outlined in this support article: http://support.spacetimestudios.com/...rticles/963855
    or just
    Check Greencrows guide (it works for all games) and the comments below (like on page 3):

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-Chrome-again-)

from what i understood, you have to download an old chrome version (26 or 27 is it I think).

EDIT: The guide works for all games.

Other threads here