Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open locked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    You most definitely are a deadly warrior/rogue, but your lack of respect for math is making me cry

The chances of getting 10 tails in a row is 0.09765625%. This means that to ~not~ get 10 tails in a row, it would be 1- 0.09765625 or 99.902%. That is the chance of getting at least one head in 10 flips.

The 98.5 comes from the fact that each crate contains 3 independent rolls. Each roll has a .5% chance at a mythic and a 99.5% chance at anything else. The chance that you get anything else 3 times in a row is 98.5%. Oh, and the chance that you get 3 mythics from 1 crate is 0.0000125%.

Guaranteed a drop? I guess I used that wrong, because it is NEVER guaranteed. If you open a 1000 crates, your chance at a mythic is 99.999970539356% Notice that it is not 100%, you can STILL NOT GET ONE after 1000, and you CAN GET ONE after only 1.

And remember, this is all based on my wild guess at .5% chance at a mythic. Could be higher or lower, no clue.
    I am with you on this one. People should just look up "binomial distribution" and understand it.

The only unknown here is the probability of getting a mythic from the crates, which is assumed to be .5%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    You most definitely are a deadly warrior/rogue, but your lack of respect for math is making me cry

The chances of getting 10 tails in a row is 0.09765625%. This means that to ~not~ get 10 tails in a row, it would be 1- 0.09765625 or 99.902%. That is the chance of getting at least one head in 10 flips.

The 98.5 comes from the fact that each crate contains 3 independent rolls. Each roll has a .5% chance at a mythic and a 99.5% chance at anything else. The chance that you get anything else 3 times in a row is 98.5%. Oh, and the chance that you get 3 mythics from 1 crate is 0.0000125%.

Guaranteed a drop? I guess I used that wrong, because it is NEVER guaranteed. If you open a 1000 crates, your chance at a mythic is 99.999970539356% Notice that it is not 100%, you can STILL NOT GET ONE after 1000, and you CAN GET ONE after only 1.

And remember, this is all based on my wild guess at .5% chance at a mythic. Could be higher or lower, no clue.
    All I can say is google "The Gambler's Fallacy"

Quote Originally Posted by wawawa64 View Post
    I am with you on this one. People should just look up "binomial distribution" and understand it.

The only unknown here is the probability of getting a mythic from the crates, which is assumed to be .5%.
    See my comment above

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    The Gambler's Fallacy is a misinterpretation of probability theory. Probability theory says that if you open 100 crates in a row you will have a 77% chance at a mythic. But if you open 50 and get NO mythic, Gambler's fallacy says you STILL have a 77% (or GREATER) chance at getting a mythic , but according to probability theory, you now have 50 crates left and have a 52% chance at getting a mythic. 77% is your chance at the beginning, and your chance drops each crate you open, not rises or stays the same.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Wait... the odds don't change. They remain constant. Each roll of the computer pseudo-random is compared to the constant. The computer does not keep track of the previous rolls. All statistics can give you is a guess at how many attempt, on the average, are needed to have a positive result. But there's no cosmic Law of Averages. Each attempt takes place regardless of the previous results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Just for the record, I've opened hundreds during mythic events and didn't get anything. It's all luck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post

See my comment above
    Yes, I know where your confusion is. Fluff's calculation is calculating what's the probability of the NEXT 100 crates that you open. He has no idea what has happen in the past.

For instance, Player A has never open any crates before and he's planning to open 100 crates; Fluff's calculation tells you Player A has 77% to get a mythic.

Now, Player B has already opened 1000 crates and he gets 0 mythic, and he's planning to open 100 more crates; the probability that he's going to get a mythic from these NEXT 100 crates is the same, which is 77%. BUT, the big difference here is that you KNOW Player B has already open 1000 and get 0 mythic, but Fluff's calculation does not include this. This is additional information that Fluff doesn't have, but this is not what he's trying to calculate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
    So if someone was dumb enough, there's a CHANCE if they open 50k crates that they could possibly not get a mythic/arcane?
    Yes.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

Wow I'm good in math and can't keep up with this .-.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I'm not good in Math but I'm betting my 100 gold on Aedenos on this. The player's rants before when crates and hammerjaw were introduced support this logic. They have opened 1000+ crates and nothing, while some players have opened a couple and got it.
    The Forum here is more FUN!

Xxxxzero

Good luck to those who are opening these crates. From my personal experience I farmed 260 crates total, order my platinum, then cleared my inventory then started opening like crazy. In the end I ended up with no mythic or arcane items, and very little plat. The legendary items I obtained i couldn't even sell for more than 10k. You can do the math on how much REAL money that took and I ended up with nothing. So good luck to those who are opening crates. All just seems like a scam to take your money.
    -Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Yes, I know where your confusion is. Fluff's calculation is calculating what's the probability of the NEXT 100 crates that you open. He has no idea what has happen in the past.

For instance, Player A has never open any crates before and he's planning to open 100 crates; Fluff's calculation tells you Player A has 77% to get a mythic.

Now, Player B has already opened 1000 crates and he gets 0 mythic, and he's planning to open 100 more crates; the probability that he's going to get a mythic from these NEXT 100 crates is the same, which is 77%. BUT, the big difference here is that you KNOW Player B has already open 1000 and get 0 mythic, but Fluff's calculation does not include this. This is additional information that Fluff doesn't have, but this is not what he's trying to calculate.
    Nono... there is no confusion. We are talking about opening a crate right to get an item? I think we open them one at a time. Not sure.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spent alot of RL $ and tons of time on promos and man I opened hundreds of crates and I have made some moment got one arcane item and a few mythics, I like that the devs keep the high end items hard to get, but man I opened 50ish one time and bonechill was the best I got owell, maybe they could loosen it up a tiny bit just saying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Souldancer View Post
    I spent alot of RL $ and tons of time on promos and man I opened hundreds of crates and I have made some moment got one arcane item and a few mythics, I like that the devs keep the high end items hard to get, but man I opened 50ish one time and bonechill was the best I got owell, maybe they could loosen it up a tiny bit just saying
    Oh.... Sound so hard to get Arcane Item: How much U spend flatium?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So may don't open Locked... Cuz I have only 30flatuim (get from forum)..... Small chane to get Arcane Item

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xxxxzero View Post
    Good luck to those who are opening these crates. From my personal experience I farmed 260 crates total, order my platinum, then cleared my inventory then started opening like crazy. In the end I ended up with no mythic or arcane items, and very little plat. The legendary items I obtained i couldn't even sell for more than 10k. You can do the math on how much REAL money that took and I ended up with nothing. So good luck to those who are opening crates. All just seems like a scam to take your money.
    -Zero
    I'm strongly agree...
    I always thought that why don't have Arcane Item from farm... Only small good item got from farm...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    There are no tricks, exploits or other things you can do to increase your chances to get something good. It's all pure luck.
    Thanks!!! Doing u have other way?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jxmaa View Post
    Take ur locked
    Fire up ur platinums
    Drink 3 Glasses of water **NOTE not full
    Pray.
    Eat a Sandwich
    Open
    Good Luck
    Wow....
    This is great chance!!!
    Thanks so much that maked us smile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kracker jak View Post
    Crates are big huge rip off ploy tiny piece luck mostly if all chooses you
    Notice same people find all the goods other extremely rare as in u may find something if u spend a few grand in real money
    No way!!!
    I don't have money to spend for game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Open locked

1.Open crate
    2. Wonder why you took step 1

All your Plat are belong to Sam

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rook storm For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Open locked

For all we know, only a certain number of crates may be allowed to contain anything worthwhile in each 24 hr period?
    Like some slot machines which have a fixed payout.

All your Plat are belong to Sam