Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best build for elite tanking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rajnikanth View Post
    haha. elites means pot waste (if u get crap drop) if a 5/5 mythic war like kill spam pots jst think of non mythics (not even one) ROFL.
    i.e. elites means for rich ppl

i dnt agree with kill (as a non mythic player)
    one needs a mythic sword atleast to justify kill post.
    Come on, that's just a troll post.

I run elites solo, all the time, I don't own any Mythics and I'm always broke.

Effective tactics and the occasional streak of good luck yields decent income.

Moreover, elite maps are just more fun than running Brackenridge in 15 seconds over and over and over.

You shouldn't just broad-brush people who run elites as rich, mythic players, because the vast majority who I have seen on elite maps are precisely not rich and not mythic. They are either gunning for the achievement, looking to build friendships, or want something more challenging than running Windmoore Harbor over and over for the chance of a Bael sighting.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    Come on, that's just a troll post.

I run elites solo, all the time, I don't own any Mythics and I'm always broke.

Effective tactics and the occasional streak of good luck yields decent income.

Moreover, elite maps are just more fun than running Brackenridge in 15 seconds over and over and over.

You shouldn't just broad-brush people who run elites as rich, mythic players, because the vast majority who I have seen on elite maps are precisely not rich and not mythic. They are either gunning for the achievement, looking to build friendships, or want something more challenging than running Windmoore Harbor over and over for the chance of a Bael sighting.
    haha as if i dnt kno u if u r broke or not rofl.
    u r trolling atm dude.
    and one cannot eats alot pots unless he is rich to buy 1k pots every run.
    i was only giving opinion with respect to kill's strategy to eat pots.

read twice before posting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IronMonkey View Post
    +1 to Killingsworth post, I now enjoy leveling my warrior to lvl 31, with his mythic weapon ready on stash, to be a prodigy tank.

On a side note: How many pots do you have? How many do you consume in day's game?
    Depends on the map - the easier maps, I consume very few especially with a good tank. I'd be interested to know how many the tanks use though... When I run with newer tanks and my blender pulls aggro - I end up spamming pots. Typically I'll stock up on both and have about 5k each until I'm down to about 1k at which point I'll restock.

haha. elites means pot waste (if u get crap drop) if a 5/5 mythic war like kill spam pots jst think of non mythics (not even one) ROFL.

Kill wasn't always a Mythic player just FYI - the only thing adding Mythic gear to his inventory has done is made Elites faster and cause him to use less pots (correct me if I'm wrong please Kill).

So... yesterday's elites run spoils (I'm out of plat... and no Klaas Lixer) - note - this was just my loot... We as a team ended up with two other snaggletooth eggs, a wrathjaw egg, and several elite goldens (not even going to mention the silvers and coppers, but they still help pay for pots)
    • Snaggletooth
    • Wrathjaw
    • Malison

Here's how many pots I went through:

Health: ~ 800 maybe a few more.
    Mana: ~ 700

Rich?

100 Health POTS = 1350 gold? so... 8 x 1350 = 10,800 gold
    700 Mana POTS = I don't even know anymore...? 1300? so... 7 x 1300 = 9,100 gold

Yesterday's farm yielded the following crop (after listing fees)
    Snaggletooth 0 (gave to guildy who needed him)
    Wrathjaw 85k (sold in CS for 95k)
    Malsion 200k (sold to guildy)
    Less 19,900 gold

= 265,100 gold in the stash.

How'd we do?

Just to work it backwards for you, had I NOT been profitable I would have had to use a total of:
    10,500 Health pots and roughly the same number of Mana Pots...

did I mention I don't have Mythic gear?... forgot to mention that.
    Last edited by Alrisaia; 08-01-2013 at 03:23 PM.

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

+1 to Killingsworth post, I now enjoy leveling my warrior to lvl 31, with his mythic weapon ready on stash, to be a prodigy tank.

On a side note: How many pots do you have? How many do you consume in day's game?
    When I purchase potions from Guild Hall, I usually get about 5,000 of each just to have a stock because running to buy potions all the time is a joke.

As far as how many I use - totally depends on the map and the skill level of other players. For example - If I am tanking Elite Oltgar Keep I go through between 40 and 100 health potions in a single run. Around 40 with experienced runners, and 100 with inexperienced players. If I am tanking Elite Breckenridge Forest I use maybe 10 potions. Elite Skull Cove we are talking upwards of 200 to 300 because of those obnoxious crabs killing my DPS all the time, I just sit there and absorb heavy attacks while my DPS run through the unbelievably long map.

FYI - I acquired Mythic warrior armor 4 days ago, I've had the Mythic warrior sword for 6 weeks and I have been a member of Elite Runners for several months.

>>I was still a main tank with an entirely non-mythic geared warrior... How do you think I earned the gold to afford my mythic gear?? I worked hard learning and farming Elite Maps.

>>The build information I provided was entirely focused on Champion of Will Armor and Helm. For the record I used Level 31 Storm Sword of Assault until I got my Mythic Sword. There is a reason I had placed my points in Armor and Strength the way that I did. Now that I have acquired some Mythic gear - my spec has been slightly modified.

>>MYTHIC OR NON MYTHIC YOU STILL SPAM POTIONS -- YOU JUST USE A LOT LESS WITH MYTHIC ARMOR

u r trolling atm dude.

Remember dude - you are farming Elite Maps - the stakes are high - the rewards can be big. You are making a relatively small investment by purchasing 1k potions -- Buying both mana and health potions will cost you roughly 20k. Elite Golden Warchests will net you 50k. Many eggs will net you 50k upwards of 250k. When you are "eating pots" you are doing that as an investment - you MUST think of it that way.
    Officer <Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

u r trolling atm dude.

dude i run elite with the guild and i don't even have a single mythic. and as killings' said the reward most likely compensate for the potion you are buying. not to mention the occasional locked crate which at the moment sells like pancakes. 2 of those and you're 20k investment is more than paid.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBitDefender For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post
    Depends on the map - the easier maps, I consume very few especially with a good tank. I'd be interested to know how many the tanks use though... When I run with newer tanks and my blender pulls aggro - I end up spamming pots. Typically I'll stock up on both and have about 5k each until I'm down to about 1k at which point I'll restock.

Kill wasn't always a Mythic player just FYI - the only thing adding Mythic gear to his inventory has done is made Elites faster and cause him to use less pots (correct me if I'm wrong please Kill).

So... yesterday's elites run spoils (I'm out of plat... and no Klaas Lixer) - note - this was just my loot... We as a team ended up with two other snaggletooth eggs, a wrathjaw egg, and several elite goldens (not even going to mention the silvers and coppers, but they still help pay for pots)
    • Snaggletooth
    • Wrathjaw
    • Malison

Here's how many pots I went through:

Health: ~ 800 maybe a few more.
    Mana: ~ 700

Rich?

100 Health POTS = 1350 gold? so... 8 x 1350 = 10,800 gold
    700 Mana POTS = I don't even know anymore...? 1300? so... 7 x 1300 = 9,100 gold

Yesterday's farm yielded the following crop (after listing fees)
    Snaggletooth 0 (gave to guildy who needed him)
    Wrathjaw 85k (sold in CS for 95k)
    Malsion 200k (sold to guildy)
    Less 19,900 gold

= 265,100 gold in the stash.

How'd we do?

Just to work it backwards for you, had I NOT been profitable I would have had to use a total of:
    10,500 Health pots and roughly the same number of Mana Pots...

did I mention I don't have Mythic gear?... forgot to mention that.
    i use mythic sword and helm only. rest elite pinks.
    u seems to b lucky to get so many eggs. where did u do runs and how many runs did u do to get total eggs?
    yesterday did 6 elite rook and got nothing worth. even there was lep and luck elixir.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Killingsworth View Post
    When I purchase potions from Guild Hall, I usually get about 5,000 of each just to have a stock because running to buy potions all the time is a joke.

As far as how many I use - totally depends on the map and the skill level of other players. For example - If I am tanking Elite Oltgar Keep I go through between 40 and 100 health potions in a single run. Around 40 with experienced runners, and 100 with inexperienced players. If I am tanking Elite Breckenridge Forest I use maybe 10 potions. Elite Skull Cove we are talking upwards of 200 to 300 because of those obnoxious crabs killing my DPS all the time, I just sit there and absorb heavy attacks while my DPS run through the unbelievably long map.

FYI - I acquired Mythic warrior armor 4 days ago, I've had the Mythic warrior sword for 6 weeks and I have been a member of Elite Runners for several months.

>>I was still a main tank with an entirely non-mythic geared warrior... How do you think I earned the gold to afford my mythic gear?? I worked hard learning and farming Elite Maps.

>>The build information I provided was entirely focused on Champion of Will Armor and Helm. For the record I used Level 31 Storm Sword of Assault until I got my Mythic Sword. There is a reason I had placed my points in Armor and Strength the way that I did. Now that I have acquired some Mythic gear - my spec has been slightly modified.

>>MYTHIC OR NON MYTHIC YOU STILL SPAM POTIONS -- YOU JUST USE A LOT LESS WITH MYTHIC ARMOR

Remember dude - you are farming Elite Maps - the stakes are high - the rewards can be big. You are making a relatively small investment by purchasing 1k potions -- Buying both mana and health potions will cost you roughly 20k. Elite Golden Warchests will net you 50k. Many eggs will net you 50k upwards of 250k. When you are "eating pots" you are doing that as an investment - you MUST think of it that way.
    rofl u r saying like if one get good items (cost 50k+) per elite run. if it was like that elite gold warchest wouldnt cost 50k+
    seems like luck % is more in ur account and i hav negligible %
    the thing is that drop rate scks. not worth doing elites. m frustrated loosing money each run in elites.(nodr).
    well we r rich to blow 20-30k everyday for nothing. bt wat about those struggling to get gold.

this season is complete crap without plats.
    i manage to get 6-7mil from season1-2.
    bt m lossing money this season. has 1.3m atm. :-(
    i need only mythic armour. bt i think it is impossible for me.
    atm i will do some crate farming in km3 until i regain my gold lost in pots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

i use mythic sword and helm only. rest elite pinks.
    u seems to b lucky to get so many eggs. where did u do runs and how many runs did u do to get total eggs?
    yesterday did 6 elite rook and got nothing worth. even there was lep and luck elixir.
    i don't run with loot lixer currently.

it was two malison runs
    and many runs where snaggletooth and wrath drop...

<Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

rofl u r saying like if one get good items (cost 50k+) per elite run. if it was like that elite gold warchest wouldnt cost 50k+
    seems like luck % is more in ur account and i hav negligible %
    the thing is that drop rate scks. not worth doing elites. m frustrated loosing money each run in elites.(nodr).
    well we r rich to blow 20-30k everyday for nothing. bt wat about those struggling to get gold.

this season is complete crap without plats.
    i manage to get 6-7mil from season1-2.
    bt m lossing money this season. has 1.3m atm. :-(
    i need only mythic armour. bt i think it is impossible for me.
    atm i will do some crate farming in km3 until i regain my gold lost in pots
    we definitely don't get 40-50k per run in loot... most runs end with us saying

/p junk

but not all...

<Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Don't know why I'm going to continue feeding the troll, but here it goes.

Some perspective - 100 hp pots cost 1350, 100 mp pots cost 700.

I solo elite forest forest all the time...typical run is about 3:45-4:00. Generally, I loot a Kettle egg once in every 7-10 runs when I have luck elixir going (free from Klaas/Shazbot), and I burn about 50-70 hp pots and about 100 mp pots per run.

Cost per run, and I'm being generous is 2,750 (assuming I consume 200 mp and 100 hp pots, which I don't).

Assuming I can loot a Kettle egg once in 10 runs, total cost = 27,500.

Current market price of a Kettle egg for a quick sale 80,000.

Total profit after 10 runs in Elite Forest = 52,500 less listing fee.

For sake of comparison, I also like to solo Elite Brackenridge, another easy map to run.

In this scenario, I usually go through 25-50 hp pots and about 75 mp pots per run. With this map taking about 1:45, I drop a Loki egg once in about 20 runs (not so good), again assuming luck elixir from Klaas/Shazbot.

Cost per run, again being generous is 1,375 (assuming I consume 50 mp and 100 hp pots, again, which I don't).

Assuming I can loot a Loki egg once in 20 runs, total cost = 27,500.

Current market price of a Loki egg for quick resale 20,000.

Total loss after 20 runs in Elite Brackenridge = 7,500.

Keep in mind that the above calculations ignore any elite chest drops and locked crate drops. Any profit derived from opening chests/crates is pure profit that adds to your bottom line.

Maps like Elite Rooks Nest, where the potential prize is a 240,000 egg is one of those home-run maps. Other high value items like Firesquid Rods, Kraken Skewer, Nordr Jewels, Noble of Will, etc. can instantly reimburse all costs. You can farm there endlessly with no drops, but a single drop once in 50 attempts still puts you way, way ahead in terms of profit.

The fact is that some maps are simply more profitable than others. Running elite Skull Cove is a money pit, as are many of the elite Kraken and Nordr maps (Oltgar Keep and Southern Seas have been break-even for me). If you are having trouble being profitable running elite maps, perhaps you should reevaluate your build, your party and/or the maps you choose to run.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Kali - stop running Jarl! :P

<Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

But it's so easy and quick!

That's just a fun map that I do when I'm bored and don't really want the grind of finding a party, pounding out Rooks Nest only to get a green on a reroll.

This morning, I got a reroll from Klaas and did 7 elite forest runs during the duration, consuming a total of 266 hp and 241 pots...unfortunately no egg.

So, to put a bow on this whole conversation, this little elite dive cost me a total of 6,150. Hardly the black hole folks make it out to be. A single Kettle drop during these runs would have put me +70,000 for 30 minutes of work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

idk y syntax showing these calculations. dude ik calculations. or i nvr got 6-7mil from.season 1-2.
    it is going off topic.
    i only at first said that spamming pots in elites is not mch profitable.
    rather bring another good HoR tank.
    my build is.pretty good. (CS, WM,VB, HoR) bt i run.mostly with pugs as guildies r busy running with full on mythic players.
    bt if pugs has 2 good wars, 1 rogue and 1 mage then it is easy.
    nvm. it is my problem that m not getting drops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    But it's so easy and quick!

That's just a fun map that I do when I'm bored and don't really want the grind of finding a party, pounding out Rooks Nest only to get a green on a reroll.

This morning, I got a reroll from Klaas and did 7 elite forest runs during the duration, consuming a total of 266 hp and 241 pots...unfortunately no egg.

So, to put a bow on this whole conversation, this little elite dive cost me a total of 6,150. Hardly the black hole folks make it out to be. A single Kettle drop during these runs would have put me +70,000 for 30 minutes of work.
    I also think we're talking about a tank's POT use though and not ours... we can solo Elite Forest much faster than a tank. If a tank were to try that - it would be ugly...

When a tank runs without a good dps party (IE 2 tanks... or DPSers who are using trash gear or have a non elite spec) they will consume many many many many more Mana pots.

I'd say a good timeframe to be killing off groups of Trash Mobs is like 45 seconds. 1 minute if it's a very large group - if it takes longer than 1 minute to finish a pull, you're doing it wrong.

Think this way - a Good time for Oltgar is 10 minutes. Not the best, but not the worst... even if it were a 12 minute run, that's still halfway decent for a pug.

That's 6 minutes for pulls and 6 minutes for the boss - meaning you have to clear 5 pulls (with running between in 6 minutes)... the boss is probably less than 6.

If a Tank has to stand there and spam pots for longer than 1 minute I could see where it would get costly... so maybe - the problem is he's running with the wrong dpsers?

Hey Troll - why not run with us mate... you're a tank that goes through too many pots... Kalizzaa and I will run you through Elite Rooks Nest. You tell us how many POTS you went through.

<Elite Runners>

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alrisaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Yep, I'm game.

Unfortunately, I won't be on much during the weekend, perhaps later tonight, but that's it. Otherwise, I'll be back on and I am willing to run elite maps all day with just about anyone.

Alrisaia, I'd love to run with you. Seems like our schedules don't overlap well :-(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

i should be on most of the day tomorrow and probably late tonight.

and yes running together would be awesome.

<Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Along with having a rogue, I've got a tank with NO mythics and can perform well in elites, while still making money. It is not difficult to survive in elites currently as a tank, and holding aggro is cake too

Sig creds: Beelzzebob
    Igns: Warriorname, Azepeiete, Sorcerername.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taejo View Post
    Not to mention it appears that damage mitigation from armor seems to become minuscule past 1500. Yet another reason why the new mythic pet's +110 is junk for a L26+ warrior.
    An increase in damage reduction from armor is EXPONENTIAL. This means the 100 from 1500-1600 is HUGE Compared to 1100-1200 or something like that. If you really don't believe me, ill go find the thread from like s2 where this was discussed.

Sig creds: Beelzzebob
    Igns: Warriorname, Azepeiete, Sorcerername.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

All I've seen is this thread:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...866#post902866

If you know of another thread that better explains armor being exponential, please share. Yes, you need more armor to counterbalance the armor modifier going down as the mob's levels go up - I understand that. However, I've messed around with some numbers (I'm still gathering) which reflect damage mitigation at 1300-1700 armor. At lower levels, +110 armor is definitely a huge boost. Right now, I'm seeing more of diminishing returns for 1500-1700 armor, at level 31. I don't have concrete statistics yet, though - and I'll probably need the help of others since I'm not a wizard in math. There's a thread in the General Section where we're discussing this currently.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...eveloper-Armor

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

jst find out hw mch % is increase from 1500armour (lvl31) when abadon is equiped.
    and also 1000armour(lvl21).
    u can see d difference.
    as here armour is calculated as "x%" dmg reduction.