Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What drives the need to be "super rich" in PL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    169 Posts

If I only knew how to make money in RL like I do in pl........

Imma write a book

Quick! Staring contest...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billybob1 View Post

Imma write a book
    Hahaha lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billybob1 View Post

Imma write a book
    Billy Bob Buffett for your author name plz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To satisfied yourself.. Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default What drives the need to be "super rich" in PL?

Idk really I always wanted to be rich (IN AL quitted pl) just cause to upgrade pve gear

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

I just noticed afterwards that I was breaking the Forum Rules, no cool feeling. :/

Drunkdoctor won't make a return for a while now.

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

Why do people want to be rich? I can think of two "in game" reasons beyond just the "show off" aspect.

1. To remove limits. If you have vast amounts of cash, you can buy anything you want any time you want. When a new whatever comes out and prices are through the roof, you can still buy it if you want.

2. To future proof. Even if you don't really want to be rich that badly, you know others do. They're out earning giant piles of cash, which you know will drive up the prices on everything (inflation). So you have to keep pace with them if you want a chance at "the best" stuff when it first comes out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fusionstrike For This Useful Post:

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

Most highest I've ever got in PL was 2.5 million. And that was from a dragon helm.
    I really want to have gold cap or more, because mainly, so I could get good gear for PvP chars, main char, and most of all, get the items/sets I've always wanted, which are: Sentinel shotgun set. Simple, look at my forum name. SHADOW armor and helm, SHADOW gun, of course I want it!
    Merrymaker horn set. I've always wanted it, because mainly, I love the sound of the horn (so funny when people think mute button can mute the horn!!) and the effect (words HA HA HA coming outta u)
    ESB/ESB set. I've had phantom set, and I like those cool stars and I've always wanted an ESB! Bombs FTW!

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

ever read tyhe book called The Selfish Gene?
    apparently humans are engineered through darwinian evolution dat we are selfish and look to boost our own interests physiologically!

that ios why we are driven to become "super rich"

finally there is this ultimate drive of humans to "mate" and that is why people want to be rich- it gives you an advatange!

although i dont EXACTLY how this apply to PL... hm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

I don't merch and I hate selling. I normally just farm when I need something. I have no desire to become rich and spend endless hours merching and stressing over CS.

I think some ppl have the desire because its unobtainable in real life esp for kids/teens. They have no jobs, no income. Becoming rich in game, in their mind proves they have/are something.

@ oldcoot you should see me in a mall ;p

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thrall Wire View Post
    ever read tyhe book called The Selfish Gene?
    apparently humans are engineered through darwinian evolution dat we are selfish and look to boost our own interests physiologically!
    I'm laughing at how much Dawkins credibility has taken a nose dive out a tall window lately.
    Luckily there's just as much evidence that humans have evolved selflessness as a strategy for survival which has enabled us to cope with most threatening situations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstar View Post
    Most highest I've ever got in PL was 2.5 million. And that was from a dragon helm.
    I really want to have gold cap or more, because mainly, so I could get good gear for PvP chars, main char, and most of all, get the items/sets I've always wanted, which are: Sentinel shotgun set. Simple, look at my forum name. SHADOW armor and helm, SHADOW gun, of course I want it!
    Merrymaker horn set. I've always wanted it, because mainly, I love the sound of the horn (so funny when people think mute button can mute the horn!!) and the effect (words HA HA HA coming outta u)
    ESB/ESB set. I've had phantom set, and I like those cool stars and I've always wanted an ESB! Bombs FTW!
    Its really funny how I was just like you... I was super poor and then during 71 cap I struck a gold mine. I was sooooooooooo rich and finally got to buy awesome sets!!!! But then once I got them after awhile I got "tired" of seeing these sets and where as amazing as I thought it would be, especially the blue dragon I like prayed to get it once it was released and now I look at it like its nothing.

But stats wise those sets has helped me out so it was worth it overall lol
    Bored? Check out my How to Catch Series(Click one):

Brave Bear, Sneakie Birdie, Majestic Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

I only buy things I need for pvp. Luckily I farmed events a lot and have items I can sell if I want something new. I believe the answer to your inquiry is a multifaceted one, and probably one us gamers can't truly answer in an unbiased fashion; people perform actions for their own reasons. Probably, we'd need to cite a few published psychological papers.

I guess the simplest answer would be that they are driven by the desire to own whatever they want, at a whim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkied View Post
    I only buy things I need for pvp. Luckily I farmed events a lot and have items I can sell if I want something new. I believe the answer to your inquiry is a multifaceted one, and probably one us gamers can't truly answer in an unbiased fashion; people perform actions for their own reasons. Probably, we'd need to cite a few published psychological papers.

I guess the simplest answer would be that they are driven by the desire to own whatever they want, at a whim.
    And you have broski Moth to supply you with money

I've never been uber rich so I have no clue. I never really understood why people merch 9 gold caps. I just get what I need and go play PvP or PvE. Most of the pinks aren't even worth it. Why get RR when you can have 59 dodge with drainer's.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    And you have broski Moth to supply you with money

I've never been uber rich so I have no clue. I never really understood why people merch 9 gold caps. I just get what I need and go play PvP or PvE. Most of the pinks aren't even worth it. Why get RR when you can have 59 dodge with drainer's.
    so u dont get called nub in pvp lol trust me i hav personal experienc!

ive only had around several million gold not much compare to the super rich of PL today like wammm, headshot, parakseventh nd pakayolo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thrall Wire View Post
    so u dont get called nub in pvp lol trust me i hav personal experienc!

ive only had around several million gold not much compare to the super rich of PL today like wammm, headshot, parakseventh nd pakayolo
    I use drainers and rarely get called a noob. I mean c'mon, it's cheap, good, and if everybody used it nobody would complain. Some of the pro birds at 51 use drainers, and they are the ones that got me using it as well. I buy whatever gear is best, if people have a problem with it then they should get it themselves.

This thread is getting off topic :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I, myself hae never been rich. At Nuri's cap I had 2.5 mil, from a wand drop.
    Now, I have 315k, 240k worth of Croc Tooth Swords, Vyxnaar helm, Crystalline INT set L71 beastly dragonscale I am looking to sell!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    Yes, it's true! It applies to everyone usually in some form or aspect.

Here's another question: Is there a certain point as to where a friend might "betray" a friend for in game currency? (AKA a scam)? If my friend asked me 3 million gold because we happen to be "good friends" over a virtual game, and having the belief that he will return the gold as soon as possible, to what extent will I trust him with the gold? What are the chances of him taking that money? Do our humanistic sides prevail on online games when it comes to having the best account and most amount of gold?

What's neat in PL is that 1.) Communication is very easy here in game. Also, 2.) The PL community is known for having a community where many players trust one another.
    Sewers i lost 3 sets, Nuris 2 Demonic sets, Mt fang lost 6 sets to pvp friends plus 30mill gold , humania didn't lost any but gave free a lot but i start loosing friends because i stop leading friends my sets and golds (its good now i know who my real friends are), blacksmoke mountain lost just 2 sets, i gave out free pink drops to anyone randomly, i even sell my most wanted pink drops at half price than cs to buddy's i know well, but sad part is the one's that i have always helped if i wanted to buy that i need they will always sell at cs price and won't sell it even a single gold lower, but 3 people that have always been there thru bad times and good times helping me till today chatbox (since sewers) xmix(since nuris) and xdn (retired from PL)(since sewers).
    Last edited by bglir; 09-01-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Git – Ssneakykills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

becuz being poor in pl is too mainstream

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

In the end I just want gold to buy twink sets, so I'm still intrested in the game. I don't want several caps of gold, just enough to keep me intrested in the game.