Thread: are health and mana regen pets useful anymore?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Default are health and mana regen pets useful anymore?

a lot of our high end pets have health and mana regen as a happiness bonus. Do you guys think this is useful? When I had 300 mana I based my pet rotation heavily on regen rates. Flap jack and horton could fully regen me as I walked from one group of mobs to the other. Since I have 3000 health and 1400 mana the regen rates don't even fill me up 1% between mobs. As a rogue I look for pets that have a damage bonus first, then a damage bonus with dex, mana and str (in that order).

The main point of this post is I'd like to see future high end pets without regen rates and with something else. Like haze for instance. I love the +25 to primary stat and damage bonus. However, I have not bought this pet because it gives mana regen instead of int (even 10 int would be great). At this point I should say when it comes to purchasing pets with plat 100% of my decision is based on how it will do in pvp. Whenever i see health or mana regen it registers as a "0" or "no benefit" to me.

another consideration would be to beef up the regen rates so u can actually see ur health or mana bars go up. I'm talking something crazy like a +25 or 50. That may seem ridiculous but when we were low levels our skills cost more mana to use and a +8 mana regen would fill us up fast. Now our skills cost more mana (idk if the mana pool increased at a greater rate than the skill usage requirements or not) but the +8 mana regen would take forever do fill us up.

What do you guys think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I think that mana/hp regen should be in the form of percent instead of a static number.

If you had a mana regen pet with a 3% per second rate, that would scale based on the mana pool, which, for low level players is small, but at end-game is large - so this strategy would work in both cases.

I do completely agree that regen based pets are unusable at end-game, mostly because you cannot regen fast enough to support large hp/mana pools.

Going forward, I suspect that percentage based pets will become more desirable, which means that the value of static value pets will drop.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

i like the %per second idea! So if it were 5% per second it would take 20 seconds to completely regen u no matter what level u were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    I think that mana/hp regen should be in the form of percent instead of a static number.

If you had a mana regen pet with a 3% per second rate, that would scale based on the mana pool, which, for low level players is small, but at end-game is large - so this strategy would work in both cases.

I do completely agree that regen based pets are unusable at end-game, mostly because you cannot regen fast enough to support large hp/mana pools.

Going forward, I suspect that percentage based pets will become more desirable, which means that the value of static value pets will drop.
    I already posted this in Konga Pet thread, they should def. change mana/hp regen pets from static numbers to percentages. Rare/epic mana/hp heal pets should have static numbers for low level players, but legendary mana/hp heal pets should be viable at end game, and changing to % is the only way to go! +1 on this!

AL: Insomniack [lvl36 Warrior]
    PL: Skitbang [lvl16 Bear]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Insomniack For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

I agree with the % idea. If it was +25 as you said, that would be too OP imo in twink levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Yes I also noticed whilst levelling up during the past week (finally got to 36 last night) that my health/mana pets didn't actually help that much, during the levelling up I did a lot of solo runs which resulted in burning though over 4000 health and over 6000 mana pots.

We sure could do with pets that give a percentage rather than a (now relatively small) fixed amount of health/mana, especially considering the increased cost of feeding the pets after they level up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I think devs got regen right with samael. It basically heals a specific amount of health (122@lv36) and mana (47@lv36), every 2 seconds. It becomes more powerful when you level it up and doesn't require you to stop using skills in order to benefit from it.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

In PL, health & mana regen rates were a stat that you saw on your stat page. In AL we really have no idea what our natural (without pets) regen rates are. But it seems as we level up further that those numbers don't increase very much at all.

The mage lifegiver skill also has regeneration upgrades, but because those are also fixed numbers, they have become less useful as we level up to higher levels. It would be nice if these upgrades were also a percentage of your health instead of a fixed amount. In season 1 these upgrades were huge, but now they are pretty useless. Flap Jack was also my favorite pet in season 1, and now he has become pretty useless as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I think devs got regen right with samael. It basically heals a specific amount of health (122@lv36) and mana (47@lv36), every 2 seconds. It becomes more powerful when you level it up and doesn't require you to stop using skills in order to benefit from it.
    Anyone know if this works in pvp?
    Sig cred: Beelzeebob
    End Game Rogue Get-N-Paid
    Chances are I've probably killed you.
    Watch me on youtube : ) http://is.gd/YiK25Y

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I will have to agree. Samael heal is very on point.
    Also the mana regen from hammerjaw is definitely enough to keep me as a Mage from never running out of mana without using heal skill. Obviously the pink pets shouldn't be on the same level of regen as the arcane but should at least be enough to be significant, pinks after all shouldn't be completely obsolete yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

This ^ is the right way to handle it. That way the pet scales with the level.

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chaim Nail View Post
    [especially considering the increased cost of feeding the pets after they level up!]
    How much does it cost to feed a LV36 pet... per hour of play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

How about a pet where you get to pick what stats they get when born? Extremely rare or huge plat cost(say 1000) but it would be fun.

Pick 3 from a drop down menu...
    15 Int
    15 Dex
    15 Str
    3% H/S
    3% M/S
    8 Dodge
    8% Speed
    8% Crit
    Etc...
    Last edited by Aerospacegod; 09-06-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aerospacegod View Post
    How much does it cost to feed a LV36 pet... per hour of play?
    I don't have any lvl36 pets yet, but lvl33 costs 825 and lvl34 costs 850 and lvl35 costs 875, so I assume it's 900 for lvl36.

The feeding lasts for 10 minutes, meaning 5400 gold per hour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

ouch lol, though I imagine each run at the top gives way more gold than at the bottom evening things out.