Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Sorcerer PvE Build

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sheabascity View Post
    Lifegiver

I so disagree on your statements of lifegiver. This is a PVE build and lifegiver is one of the best skills in game. I don't know if youu realise it but lifegiver instantly replenishes full health and mana on your partymembers at least once they are rogue's. And were the rogue the main part is of any pve team when it comes to damage, you can help out your pve team allot. Especially the part on mana replenish, skills absorb your mana so fast that a 25 perc pot barely does anything. remember only sorcerers have int realotted. So this skill helps your mates, cause 1 skill combo on a rogue is usually 1-2 pots depends on your stats.

So as a rogue i say any PVE sorcerer needs lifegiver, if you think pve is about doing solo stuff then you haven't played this game to well.

I second Chorba69's comment. Any mage who runs lifgiver is a liability to the party. You are greatly hindering offensive potentional in exchange for a mediocre heal. You will contribute far more to the party by being offensive then 'supportive'. The best support is to remove more enemies. Any Rogue/Warrior who can't manage their own mana usage, especially endgame, is also a liability. Avoid running with these people at all costs.

Oh and in the revelation that dmg multipliers dont stack any points in passive damage are a complete waste. Put these in crit instead.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nesox For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chorba69 View Post
    First of all, when I started reading your comment, I thought you're a rogue. Lots of rogues whine about the mana and they blame sorcerers if they dont have Lifegiver with mana upgrade, so it seems you whine about it too.
    Please tell me, how could Lifegiver help in elite runs? Or even in tomb runs? Or anywhere? Maybe in low levels when you dont have money for pots. But, in elites, mage's heal won't help you at all! Okay it restores few some hp and mana but? Nobody benefits od it. There is a reason why you can spam pots in PvE. Mages are AoE dmg dealers and CCers. Though, they should be support class but they dont have any good support skill.
    Using Lifegiver in PvE just slows your runs by a lot because as a mage you're there to deal AoE dmg.
    Dont be offended by this post but, any experienced player will never ask for hp/mana restore in PvE because you can use pots. If STG gives a dmg buff or something else like Shadow Veil or anything similar, then there could be some use of this skill. Otherwise, just NO.
    And just one info, I play this game since season1 and Im sure I know something about mage class.
    Cheers and have fun!

one thing i hate being a mage, is when other players are asking "mage..mana plis" -_-'

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yorikokikyo View Post
    one thing i hate being a mage, is when other players are asking "mage..mana plis" -_-'
    I've come to the realization that it's simply better to ignore them. I'll politely run the PUG and leave after the boss without so much as responding. Heck, I've been called plenty of negative comments: noob, lame, etc.

Decent L40+ warriors and rogues should know better than to ask.
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, i tried follow your build. but isn't heal important as well? shield or heal?
    my build:

fire: 4/5
    Ice: 3/5
    time 3/5

can't decide... shield or heal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chorba69 View Post
    Hello smurfs.
    After I've seen lots of builds here, good ones and bad ones, I'd like to present you my PvE build so new players can have an easier start as a mage. Also, this might help old players too.
    This build is based on highest AoE damage output, lowest amount of damage recieved and works very well for soloing and elites.

About Mages:

So, you have decided to play a mage, but you'd like to know more about it.
    Well, we're little smurfs.

Pros:
    - great AoE skills
    - nice stuns
    - great crowd control
    - and more..

Cons:
    - low armor
    - low critical/dodge chance
    - not the highest health amount

Stats:
    Inteligence, inteligence and only inteligence..
    Inteligence raises our damage, our dps, our mana, our bonus damage and a little amount of health.
    Every single point should be invested in >Inteligence<

Skills:
    What to upgrade, how many points to invest, which passives etc etc..
    If you want to solo maps, have great aoe dps, you're in the right place.
    In this build, I'll be talking about most important skills in my opinion.

So let's have a look.

Fireball:
    Our first AoE skill. Mostly, it's used to stun lots of monsters. Its damage is decent but not the best one. If upgraded, it has an amazing DoT damage.

Lightning Strike:
    Our best single target dps skill. Mostly used to kill bosses faster. If upgraded, there is a chance for AoE damage and stun.

Frost Bolt:
    Another great skill. Frost bolt has a great damage output, can freeze and DoT multiple targets.

Time Shift:
    In my opinion, best PvE skill we have. It has great damage, great dps, nice DoT and great crowd control.

Arcane Shield:
    One of our survivability skills. Absorbs lots of damage, great if there are lots of monsters chasing you. Damage absorbed and duration are based on your Strength stat.

Lifegiver:
    What else to say, only heal we have got. If upgraded, restores mana along with the health. In my opinion, it really sucks. Don't get it because, in PVE everyone can use pots. Only good thing is you can restore mana to your teammates but.. Just, don't take it.

Skill Upgrades:
    So, that was about the skills. Let's learn about the upgrades.

Fireball:
    - Engulf- Increases the spherical area of fireball explosion by 3 meters. Very good if you have a large group of monsters but even without this upgrade, Fireball has great AoE radius so in my opinion, not a must.
    - Ignite- After you've hit a monster/s, you deal great DoT damage. In my opinion, must have!
    - Impact- Stun them, stun them all! If you charge your fireball, monsters you've hit will be stunned for few seconds. Must have!
    - Scorch- Reduces targets' hit chance by 25%. Not neccessary in this build.

Lightning Strike:
    - Empowered Bolt- Increases the damage of this skill by 15%. Must have!
    - Electrical Discharge- Gives you a chance for AoE damage but chance is low. Not needed.
    - Positive Surge- Increases your AoE dmg on critical by 250%. Not needed for this build.
    - Shock- Small chance to stun your targets. Not needed too.

Frost Bolt:
    - Ice Wielder- Has chance to freeze and damage enemies around your target. Not needed since Frost Bolt DoTs the targets anyways!
    - Jagged Ice- If monster is stunned or slowed, it recieves DoT. Must have!
    - Shiver- Increases the duration of stun/slow by 3 seconds. Must have!
    - Arctic Shatter- Low chance to leave behind an ice patch. Not needed.

Time Shift:
    - Dodge and Death- Reduces monsters' dodge chance and increases damage of clock drop. Optional. Upgrade it if you want additional dps. It increases clock drop damage by ~15%-35%.
    - Time Bomb- When the clock expires, it deals small damage to all targets nearby. Also optional. If you want to sacrifice a passive, upgrade it, but, better spend a point on a passive than on this upgrade.
    - Countdown of Pain- Charge your attack and you will deal nice DoT. Must have!
    - Freeze Time- Root your targets. Don't let them move! Great CC, must have!

Arcane Shield:
    - Extended Shield- Increases amount of damage absorbable and lets your shield last 5 seconds longer. Must have!
    - Displacement Wave- Knocks back targets around you if charged. Not needed.
    - Static Resonance- Increases damage reduction by 15%. Must have!
    - Hardened Shielding- Grants invulnerability for 2 seconds if you charge your Shield. Optional, if you have spare points, upgrade it.

Lifegiver:
    - Increased Ranged- Increases range of heal effect. Not needed.
    - Empower- Restores mana along with the health. Optional. If you want to save some pots, upgrade it.
    - Regrowth- Heal over time. Doesn't heal good enough, not needed.
    - Recharge Mana- Restores mana over time. Doesn't restore good enough, not needed.

Passives:
    There are passive skills that are always active. Great, isn't it?

- Durable- Increases your armor by 1% per upgrade.
    - Critical Shot- Increases your critical chance by 1% per upgrade.
    - Damage- Increases your damage value by 1% per upgrade.
    - Agility- Increases your dexterity stat by 5 per upgrade.
    - Knowlegde- Increases your inteligence stat by 5 per upgrade.
    - Quickness- Increases your moving speed by 1% per upgrade.
    - Might- Increases your strength stat by 5 per upgrade.

In my opinion, Knowledge and Might are must have. Others are optional.

Build:

So, now you know everything about the skills. Now, what to use, what to upgrade, when, how? Proceed..

Basic build:
    Fireball- Ignite, Impact.
    Frost Bolt- Jagged Ice, Shiver.
    Time Shift- Countdown of Pain, Freeze time.
    Arcane Shield- Extended Shield, Static Resonance.
    Passives- 5 points Knowledge, 5 points Might

Those skills and upgrades are important and must have for every PvE build!
    Now, you can combine what you want and what you need. My suggestions and full build is bellow..

Build:
    Fireball- Ignite, Impact.
    Frost Bolt- Jagged Ice, Shiver.
    Time Shift- Countdown of Pain, Freeze time, (Dodge and Death).
    Arcane Shield- Extended Shield, Static Resonance, (Hardened Shielding).
    Lightning Strike- Empowered Bolt.
    Passives- 5 points Knowledge, 5 points Might, 5 points Critical Shot, Damage/Agility 5

You can choose either Dodge and Death in Time Shift or Hardened Shielding in Arcane Shield. With Dodge and Death upgrade you hit ~15-35% more with Time Shift, and with Hardened Shielding you can survive those insta-kill boss attacks (red area) if casted on time.
    You can see I've added Lightning Strike- Empowered Bolt and new passives. Lightning Strike is used for boss fights only.
    I've added Critical Shot because we have low crit chance, and even that little chance will help your attacks and your DoTs to do more damage.
    Damage or Agility, what fits you more, upgrade it.
    Also, you can notice there is no Lifegiver. Correct. For PvE, it's not so neccessary. You can use pots in PvE as many as you want, and if there's a rogue or a warrior blaming you for not having Lifegiver for health and mana restoration, tell them to use pots, because, well, they can.

Skill rotation and tactics:
    Now, after you know everything, it's time for skill rotation and tactics.
    I will tell you what do I use, and how do I use. Hope you will understand.
    Lets begin..

First, it all depends how much HP and armor you have. If you have more HP and armor, you will be able to lure more monsters. It's all about your gear.
    So, you wanna lure 10-15 monsters in Dead City map for example. Run and use your non-charged Fireball, your non charged Frost Bolt and your non-charged basic attack. If you get in trouble, use your Arcane Shield. Now, after you've lured enough monsters, run in a circle around all of them for 1-2 seconds max, place your charged Time Shift. After that, run out of the Time Shift and start dpsing. My rotation is charge Fireball for a nice DoT and to stun the archers and mages because they can reach you with their arrows/spells, charge Frost Bolt for another DoT and to freeze your targets, and then spam your basic attack untill your skills recharge. And then repeat. While monsters are in effect of your Time Shift's root effect, normal monsters can't reach you (except archers/mages with spells and non-cc-able monsters). If any of those non-cc-able monsters get to you, just dps and kill it while keeping all of the cc-able monsters in effect of your Time Shift. For single target dps, meant for bosses, minibosses and other strong monsters, you can switch one of your skills with Lightning Strike. I usually switch Arcane Shield with Lightning Strike for boss fight because if you are running elite runs, you will have a warrior tanking the boss so you can just dps.
    And that's it. Just cc everything that can be cc-ed, dps them, dot them, charge important skills (mentioned above) and watch your enemies dying rooted under effect of your Time Shift! Hope you've understood everything I've said. It really works.
    In elites, everything stays the same. Except the part where you pull the mobs. You dont pull them, warriors pulls them. Wait for warrior to tank them all, place Time Shift near him, get out of the Time Shift's area and start dpsing. At boss, switch Arcane Shield with Lightning and that's it. Also, watch out for those red area attacks. Lots of bosses might insta-kill you so stay out of the red area.

Pets:
    Pets are also very important in our fights. In my opinion, best ones are:
    Samael, Abbadon, Slag, Glacian, Clyde, Hammerjaw, Haze, Orion, Malison, Keetle, Colton, Ribbit, Ethyl etc.
    In first place, they all help you. One gives HP, other damage, third crit chance, fourth armor etc.
    It's up to you which one you will choose.

Gear:
    If you have gold, get yourself mythics and arcane staff.
    If you don't have gold, Tarlok gear is the second option and I must say it's not bad at all.
    Best legendary items are: staff- Architect Pylon of Brutality, helm- Tarlok's Winter Crown of Assault, armor- Tarlok's Vestment of Assault, ring- Ruby Band of Brutality (epic ring), necklace- Tarlok's Heart of Brutality.

The End:

So this is it. I hope I've helped new players, maybe even old players with this guide.
    Enjoy it and have fun playing AL!
    Hi, i've play this game since sometime and i was a warrior. but i'm a newbie towards mage.
    for PVE mage shield or heal better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guan Long View Post
    Hi, i've play this game since sometime and i was a warrior. but i'm a newbie towards mage.
    for PVE mage shield or heal better?
    No, no, no and again no to heal! Just no. Heal is just useless for PvE. Warrior's heal is lots better than ours and we mages should be support class, c'mon stg..
    But yeah, just dont use heal in PvE. You just aggro lots of mobs and as a mage you are there to deal aoe dmg and cc. Heal wont keep you alive trust me. Yes you heal yourself and your teammates but, you aggro then lots of mobs and nothing will help you to stay alive.
    If you dont have mythics, shield will help you a lot in elites.
    Once again, just use pots in PvE. And if warrior or rogue blames you for not having heal with mana restore, just leave the party. End of story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Shield of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Very helpfull thx !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Hi! After. i read this guide, i make my own build and it was great
    Thx for this guide
    Im just wanna share my build
    Skills:
    5/5 Fire
    4/5 thunder no shock
    4/5 clock no time bomb
    4/5 shield no displacement wave
    3/5 heal just increase range and empower
    Note: why did i put heal? Because many of the rogue and war beg for mana especially in km3 when i tell them i dont have heal they kicked me from the party. I tried explaining why we mages decided not to use heal but they dont listen thats why i put up heal.

You just change thunder to heal when your the only mage in the party but this is optional if your party decided not to use your heal and be all out dmg mage.

Now for the passive
    5/5 str
    5/5 int
    5/5 dex
    5/5 dmg

Cheers and have fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a ? as far as gear goes and their secondary stats. I know we want as much int as possible, but what's the better secondary stat? Why does all BiS have str over dex? I know str gives more health but dex gives crit...

Sorry if this has been asked before I kinda new to AL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ndirish8178 View Post
    I have a ? as far as gear goes and their secondary stats. I know we want as much int as possible, but what's the better secondary stat? Why does all BiS have str over dex? I know str gives more health but dex gives crit...

Sorry if this has been asked before I kinda new to AL.
    Str is the best secondary as it gives the most life. Dex is almost entirely useless to a mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ethertech View Post
    Hi! After. i read this guide, i make my own build and it was great
    Thx for this guide
    Im just wanna share my build
    Skills:
    5/5 Fire
    4/5 thunder no shock
    4/5 clock no time bomb
    4/5 shield no displacement wave
    3/5 heal just increase range and empower
    Note: why did i put heal? Because many of the rogue and war beg for mana especially in km3 when i tell them i dont have heal they kicked me from the party. I tried explaining why we mages decided not to use heal but they dont listen thats why i put up heal.

You just change thunder to heal when your the only mage in the party but this is optional if your party decided not to use your heal and be all out dmg mage.

Now for the passive
    5/5 str
    5/5 int
    5/5 dex
    5/5 dmg

Cheers and have fun!
    The 5% passive damage will be cancelled if you use any pet that has a higher % damage bonus. Put those points elsewhere. Also by lv41 I find that the 5 points in dex provides such a small health boost that this as well can probably be better utilized elsewhere. Crit would be a better choice if you dont need extra skills. For PvE remove ALLLLLLL points from heal. Under NO circumstances should heal be used in PvE. Please reread my previous post about running with people who can't manage their own mana.

For PvE your build should be Fire, Ice, Light, TS, Shield. Use full offense and sub in shield only when necessary as you want to maximize offense. IE. Shield for difficult elites and bosses only. Using higher armor/health gear and 4 skills will do more overall damage than a high Int build that requires shield because you are so fragile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

question, which skills is better at charging than others? for instance fb, ice and lightning the pros and cons of it. And on bosses do you charge clock seems worthless to me that u charge the clock at boss it doesn't root them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Fireball is the usuall initial attack as it stuns the largest number of foe. After that it depends on the situation. Usually I charge all skills as our job is to keep enemies stunned/frozen. Charge fireball before running in to drop a clock to help take less damage. Not charging ice and light will throw down more damage without the charging time but the stun effects are negated.

The purpose of charging TS is the DOT. Root does not work on bosses but the DOT does. Kelvin is my favorite pet for stunning bosses and disrupting their AOE attacks. He is not powerful but the stun is the most reliable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can i ask a question? i am a noob at this game and i just started so i dont know if this is true but cant you just get heal with the same skills you stated in the post and the passive skills since the max level is 41? so you have 40 skill points right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

idk, mage are not supposed to tank, shield has long minimum inactive time (15s to wait after shield is down), 15s... battle in elite maps doesn't decided in first 15s, you probably only need shield to run from mobs (but you have tanks for that), so i always consider shield as a pvp skills, for pve, the better one is always the one that has shorter cooldown or inactive time,

so ice, lightning, fire, clock will be great offensive combination, and don't forget to kite and use your pots

ice, lightning, gale, clock for mobile play (don't use it to scatter though), or

ice, lightning, clock, heal for support play

choose whatever suits you

Quote Originally Posted by Zadzood View Post
    Can i ask a question? i am a noob at this game and i just started so i dont know if this is true but cant you just get heal with the same skills you stated in the post and the passive skills since the max level is 41? so you have 40 skill points right?
    yes, but you might also want to spend it to armor instead, since devs make the skills unchangeable when it's on cooldown, so it's not so recommended having more than 4 skills (i used 6 before, and decided to stick to 5 since the update on cooldown)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extrapayah:1761391

yes, but you might also want to spend it to armor instead, since devs make the skills unchangeable when it's on cooldown, so it's not so recommended having more than 4 skills (i used 6 before, and decided to stick to 5 since the update on cooldown)
    Uhh no. You are not supposed to change skills in the middle of the battle. Change time shift to lightning/heal to shield right before the boss if you have 5/6 skills.
    And as for passives put in str dex int and crit not armour nor dmg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Nice guide.
    I need FREE RESPEC now.
    lol
    Time is more valuable than gold. You can get more gold, but you cannot get more time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Why no Elondrian gear?isn't is good?
    Time is more valuable than gold. You can get more gold, but you cannot get more time.