Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Sorcerer PvE Build

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi,

I need some advice please, I am using your build as I lvl up, but I'm finding it hard to make money, what's a good pet for Mage but cheapish? Also I'm confuessed with the Passives, where do I put the points in passive skills :S

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deanoboi View Post
    Hi,

I need some advice please, I am using your build as I lvl up, but I'm finding it hard to make money, what's a good pet for Mage but cheapish? Also I'm confuessed with the Passives, where do I put the points in passive skills :S
    If you have less money,use the lifegiver with mana upgrade that way you save some gold.
    Good cheap pets are ribbit,wrathjaw,malison,frost,blight,ethyl and orion.
    Time is more valuable than gold. You can get more gold, but you cannot get more time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sirnoobalot:1763924
    Why no Elondrian gear?isn't is good?
    Thats because the guide is old. The ancient druid of brutality and living spirit of assault sets are good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sirnoobalot View Post
    If you have less money,use the lifegiver with mana upgrade that way you save some gold.
    Good cheap pets are ribbit,wrathjaw,malison,frost,blight,ethyl and orion.
    Thank you for the reply,

The build I'm following is
    Fireball- Ignite, Impact.
    Frost Bolt- Jagged Ice, Shiver.
    Time Shift- Countdown of Pain, Freeze time.
    Arcane Shield- Extended Shield, Static Resonance.
    Passives- 5 points Knowledge, 5 points Might

Also, at what levels should I be looking to be upgrading gear?

15/20/25/30/35 - 41?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyone can help with upgrading gear levels please? I really dno what to buy at what level etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hello again smurfs! How's it going? It's been a while..

Sorry, I couldn't update the guide. I couldn't even play AL at all for a long time.
    I moved to Germany, had lots of stuff to do IRL so there was no free time.
    Now I've got a job, a good internet connection, and I might start again with AL.

I see people still use this guide and I'm quite happy with that.
    Since it's old, it needs to be updated because new smurfs may have problems with new stuff.

First, I'll get in-game to see how's it going, because lots of new stuff arrived as you already know.

Then, I'll update this guide. It's too old now, and it's time to update it.
    Most of the stuff will remain the same. I'll update the Gear section, Pets section etc. because new of new stuff.
    I can't believe this guide survived for this long though.

And when that's done, I'll start playing again.

I'm not sure when I'm gonna update this because this Friday I'm going on vacation.
    I'll see if I can do it tomorrow. If not, I'll do it asap.

Cheers and have fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default My point of view

I started to play a mage by accident when i buy a new character with story coins. I find this guide very very helpful but I have to disagree on one point: lifegiver
    As you explain several times that we must not use it I will try to explain why I disagree. I am level 40 and just have runs the easiest elite map so may be i am loosing your point. May be after level 41 i will change and join your way.

Heal and mana regen is 2 skill points, not a big cost. Your point that you will loose supportive by using this. As it take you 1 out of the 4 skill places i understand that in a relevantly set up team on elite map when you need to be as efficient as you can it can be better to use shield. But...

Now if you start playing a mage you wont be able to play elite before reaching level 40! Before this on standard map having 3 dmg skills (fire, ice, time) + shield is not really helpfull. In fact shield will only help you few time with boss to handle the one shoot kill. Lifegiver will help you saving some pots which is not really relevant, but also help other teamates to be more efficient all the time! At level 40 when running standard map having 2 point in lifegiver seems more helpfull to me than shield.

My advice would be follow the guide but use lifegiver before being level40 (i did it by not using time skill but do now it seems better not using shied for me). And as leveling 41 is a long run from level 40, with this free respec WE
    my current build is:
    fire : 1 2 3 4
    ice : 1 3 4
    time : 1 2 4 5
    shield : 1 2 4 5 => will use for elite or hard map
    light : 1 2 4 => in place of fire whith boss
    lifegiver: 1 3 => for all standard map or to hellp other people leveling
    passive: 5int, 5 might, 5 agility, 4 critical

I do not consider that spending 2 lifegiver points in passive will be really more efficient. May be it can be better also for pvp but i do not play pvp so.

Will let you know if I change my POW.

Thanks again for the guid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Theenix:1770915
    fire : 1 2 3 4
    ice : 1 3 4
    time : 1 2 4 5
    shield : 1 2 4 5 => will use for elite or hard map
    light : 1 2 4 => in place of fire whith boss
    lifegiver: 1 3 => for all standard map or to hellp other people leveling
    passive: 5int, 5 might, 5 agility, 4 critical
    Agreed. Lifegiver really helps in non elite maps since mobs cant really kill you in oneshot anyway(except for bosses) and it really helps to save pots and helps to make noob rogues and warrs shut up for mana especially in pugs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Which gun/gear should I buy at level 25?

I dnt under stand brutality etc which is better?

Please help?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deanoboi View Post
    Which gun/gear should I buy at level 25?

I dnt under stand brutality etc which is better?

Please help?
    Look for gear with Int primary stat and Str secondary stat. Usually anything of "Brutality" is good for mages. Ancient Druid gear is cheap and effective. I am also having good results with the Ancient Druid of Security as well. You sacrifice damage for armour/life which saves pots and allows more agressive play without the death penalty. This is my preference for elites and dense mobs. For maps with sparse enemies a dmg build will be faster. If you are finding you need health then I would recomend swapping out any non-grand glacial gems for Life Shards. The extra 40 health per will outweigh the small damage reduction.

Elites, leveling, "support", too poor for pots... whatever your excuses for using Lifegiver in PVE, you are wrong. Add offense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nesox View Post
    Look for gear with Int primary stat and Str secondary stat. Usually anything of "Brutality" is good for mages. Ancient Druid gear is cheap and effective. I am also having good results with the Ancient Druid of Security as well. You sacrifice damage for armour/life which saves pots and allows more agressive play without the death penalty. This is my preference for elites and dense mobs. For maps with sparse enemies a dmg build will be faster. If you are finding you need health then I would recomend swapping out any non-grand glacial gems for Life Shards. The extra 40 health per will outweigh the small damage reduction.

Elites, leveling, "support", too poor for pots... whatever your excuses for using Lifegiver in PVE, you are wrong. Add offense.
    Thanks for the info, I have been purchasing Druid of security also =]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks a lot for this post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

A really really really good build for endgame pve that I use is:
    Attack Skills
    1.Lifegiver
    •Empower to get that mana back
    2.Arcane Shield
    •Extended Shield to keep you alive longer
    •Static Resonance to get rid of those annoying debuffs and make it less likely that you will die
    •Hardened Shielding to get those attacks in before you start taking damage
    3.Fireball
    •Engulf for better crowd control
    •Ignite to get some extra damage in
    •Impact to make it easier to crowd control and deal with those pesky ranged enemies easier
    4. Time Shift
    •Dodge and Death to deal more extra damage
    •Countdown of Pain to deal more damage
    •Freeze Time so that melee enemies cant get you
    Passive Skills
    5. 5/5 Durable for extra defense
    6. 5/5 Knowledge for extra damage,bonus damage,and a little extra health
    7. 5/5 Damage for extra damage
    8. 5/5 Agility for some extra health,critical chance,dodge, and damage
    9. 5/5 Might for extra health
    10. 5/5 Critical Shot for extra critical chance
    Other Stuff
    11. For gear i recommend brutality gear since it lets you deal decent damage and it gives you extra health
    12. For those of you that are confused on what the heck bonus damage is, it basically amplifies your base damage and helps you deal more damage against higher level enemies
    •I wouldn't recommend sacrificing base damage for bonus damage unless the base damage deduction is very low like 0.5 for example
    13. Here are a list of pets that aren't crazy expensive or are farmable and decent for mages:
    •Wrath Jaw
    •Orion
    •Crawly
    •Ethyl
    •Kettle
    •Colton
    •Malison
    •Flap Jack
    •Ironbite (Stat buff isnt so great but its ability can help out and its normal attack is capeable of stunning bosses and it is cheap)
    14. How I approach a group of enemies is that first I use charged up Arcane Shield then charged up Fireball to stun the enemies then I use charged up Time Shift to lock the enemies in place then I stand back and pick them off. I use Lifegiver when I am low on mana or health. When Time Shift wears off I stun the group of enemies again with Fireball and use charged up Arcane Shield as soon as it is available again and I keep repeating this process until the group of enemies is dead.

I hope this helped you guys
    Last edited by Kaziscate; 08-18-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I would NOT recommend using Lifegiver in endgame PVE. Lots of information as to why this is a bad skill in PVE.

Also, the damage passive is a waste... it doesn't get stacked with pet damage and the five points are wasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

^^ This and I'll add one more

Definitely stay away from Scorn. Just no. One reason, among many others: You will hit his AA out of habit and kill the entire party at the absolute wrong time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IGN:

Rogue: Drizzitty
    Mage: Cryformana

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Otahaanak For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

LOL

I have done that with Scorn. Only once. Because I never used him again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticRob For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I will disagree rob, I upgraded the life giver and for solo runs and farming it's nice to have that 5 seconds of invulnerability as endgame mages should be strong enough that aggro doesn't matter when controlling mobs as solo map runner. And the life giver lets me charge in and decimate heavy mobs without smashing pots. So yes to life giver (for solo and farming). I wouldn't use it in elite farming as you will need more attack skills to survive.

Also rob is waaay right passive damage is a waste of 5 skill points it it automatically overridden by any damage bonus by pet or elix.

But really nice post and good information kaziscate thx for sharing

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diggdugg For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Digg, I have heard the upgraded Lifegiver is way better than before and it might be beneficial when farming easier maps (still a death wish in elites).

I'm currently using Fire, Ice, Light, Clock, and Gale when farming easier maps... well 4 of those 5 depending on the situation. When running more difficult maps I'll use the shield instead of gale. For me, I don't see how Lifegiver fits into my preferred skills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

My setup is the same as Rob's. A little background - I ran with 4 attack skills from from my earliest days in AL. Never used lifegiver or shield until Tindrin was released. At that points (prior to the release of Ankh's) the deaths just became too much, and I spec'd out shield (4/5 no knockback). And now, I've gotten used to using it.

As our damage has increased a ton (and my toon's gear improved) I even stopped running with shield in some of the elite maps - Planar tombs for example.

At the end of the day, I'd say there are valid arguments to both sides. For those with struggling with stats, gear and goldI can see the benefit, or for running mostly solo as you describe. For me, firing off lifegiver is time I could freeze or gale mob(s) and save myself or party member and give me time to pot.
    IGN:

Rogue: Drizzitty
    Mage: Cryformana

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaziscate View Post
    A really really really good build for endgame pve that I use is:
    Attack Skills
    1.Lifegiver
    •Empower to get that mana back
    2.Arcane Shield
    •Extended Shield to keep you alive longer
    •Static Resonance to get rid of those annoying debuffs and make it less likely that you will die
    •Hardened Shielding to get those attacks in before you start taking damage
    3.Fireball
    •Engulf for better crowd control
    •Ignite to get some extra damage in
    •Impact to make it easier to crowd control and deal with those pesky ranged enemies easier
    4. Time Shift
    •Dodge and Death to deal more extra damage
    •Countdown of Pain to deal more damage
    •Freeze Time so that melee enemies cant get you
    Passive Skills
    5. 5/5 Durable for extra defense
    6. 5/5 Knowledge for extra damage,bonus damage,and a little extra health
    7. 5/5 Damage for extra damage
    8. 5/5 Agility for some extra health,critical chance,dodge, and damage
    9. 5/5 Might for extra health
    10. 5/5 Critical Shot for extra critical chance
    Other Stuff
    11. For gear i recommend brutality gear since it lets you deal decent damage and it gives you extra health
    12. For those of you that are confused on what the heck bonus damage is, it basically amplifies your base damage and helps you deal more damage against higher level enemies
    •I wouldn't recommend sacrificing base damage for bonus damage unless the base damage deduction is very low like 0.5 for example
    13. Here are a list of pets that aren't crazy expensive or are farmable and decent for mages:
    •Wrath Jaw
    •Orion
    •Crawly
    •Ethyl
    •Kettle
    •Colton
    •Malison
    •Flap Jack
    •Ironbite (Stat buff isnt so great but its ability can help out and its normal attack is capeable of stunning bosses and it is cheap)
    14. How I approach a group of enemies is that first I use charged up Arcane Shield then charged up Fireball to stun the enemies then I use charged up Time Shift to lock the enemies in place then I stand back and pick them off. I use Lifegiver when I am low on mana or health. When Time Shift wears off I stun the group of enemies again with Fireball and use charged up Arcane Shield as soon as it is available again and I keep repeating this process until the group of enemies is dead.

I hope this helped you guys
    This build is just a suggestion just so you guys know so just add your own tweaks to it if theres anything in this build that bothers you