Thread: Rogue PVE Build (and general help) needed please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rogue PVE Build (and general help) needed please

Hello! I've been playing AL for a few months now, and I'm still very noob-ish. I had no idea how to appropriately build or work my character, and I'm at the point where I'm getting the crud beaten out of me in mobs, and I'd really like to be able to some lone questing/farming and not have to necessarily rely on others.

I'm a level 22. My pets are Precious, Alejandro and the Owl (can't remember his name).
    I am currently using the Dimensional Daggers of Force, wearing a Sly Brim of Security and my Armor is the Coiled Jacket of Force.
    My stats are as follows:

Strength: 93
    Health: 1878
    Dex: 136
    Bonus Damage 168%
    Dodge: 16.20
    Crit: 87.8
    Int: 83
    Mana: 955
    DPS: 158.1
    Armor: 629

My stills are: Shadow Piercer 5/5, Nox 3/5, Razor 2/5, Aimed 4/5, Shadow Storm 3/5 and Shadow Veil 4/5. I have no passives.

I don't know what my base stats are. I think I have my dex and strength evenly split, and int is much lower.

Either way, I die. Alot. ALOT! I feel useless when I play in a party. And would enjoy the game much more if I didn't!

If anyone could point out what I've done wrong, and a better way to tweak my stats/skills to better fit my player class, I'd appreciate it greatly!

I am more of a PvE player/quester at this point than PvP - I've tried it and it scared me. I'd like to make it to the dungeons and further in the game before I consider PvP.

Thank you so much for reading/any input!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karikte View Post
    Hello! I've been playing AL for a few months now, and I'm still very noob-ish. I had no idea how to appropriately build or work my character, and I'm at the point where I'm getting the crud beaten out of me in mobs, and I'd really like to be able to some lone questing/farming and not have to necessarily rely on others.

I'm a level 22. My pets are Precious, Alejandro and the Owl (can't remember his name).
    I am currently using the Dimensional Daggers of Force, wearing a Sly Brim of Security and my Armor is the Coiled Jacket of Force.
    My stats are as follows:

Strength: 93
    Health: 1878
    Dex: 136
    Bonus Damage 168%
    Dodge: 16.20
    Crit: 87.8
    Int: 83
    Mana: 955
    DPS: 158.1
    Armor: 629

My stills are: Shadow Piercer 5/5, Nox 3/5, Razor 2/5, Aimed 4/5, Shadow Storm 3/5 and Shadow Veil 4/5. I have no passives.

I don't know what my base stats are. I think I have my dex and strength evenly split, and int is much lower.

Either way, I die. Alot. ALOT! I feel useless when I play in a party. And would enjoy the game much more if I didn't!

!
    You're dying because you don't have enough dodge to effectively melee.

My suggestions: Get a good bow. Find some +dodge gear (Savvy). Get a +dodge pet, like malison.

Also, since you're not pvping or farming, you really only need four actives.

A good all around pve build is 5/5 aimed, 5/5 nox, 4/5 veil, and 3/5 razor. The rest can go in passives. Fill agility first.

For bosses, lay down veil so it covers boss AND party. Stand as far away as possible while still in veil, and spam chargeAS/regNOX/regBOWSHOT. Rinse repeat. Nox will begin to stack and do almost as much damage as a noncrit aimshot every second. Pop razor and malison for dodge as needed.

For mobs, run to a clump of enemies. Lay down veil, pop razor for dodge/aoe, and spam chargeAS/regBOWSHOT/chargeNOX/regBOWSHOT a few times. Let tank pick up when when razor ends (a good time to pop malison).

This is a very basic strategy. Play with it, personalize it, and I guarantee you'll die less.

Or...

If you want to stay daggers, a very basic lvling/survival build is to go 5/5 pierce, 5/5 aimed, 5/5 packs, and 3/5 razor.

For mobs, stay right in the thick of it. Pop razor then chargeAS/chargePIERCE/daggerspamm. Pop mali as razor ends. Lay down packs as needed.

For bosses chargeAS/regPIERCE/daggerspam. Lay down packs, pop razor, pop mali as needed.

You wont die too often unless yer gettin one-shotted.
    Last edited by Jenvy; 10-04-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I'm a little new on the terminology - 'popping' and 'spamming', and 'tank'. Yeah. I know (noob). I also didn't realize you could do anything to activate your pet's skills - I thought they were on autopilot, basically.

Should I reset my skills (strength, dex, int) or are they ok where they are?

The rest of it, I get - and if you don't get a chance to reply, that's fine, I think there's a glossary somewhere on the forums.

I really REALLY appreciate the input and advice, this will make a huge difference! Thank you very much!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karikte View Post
    Ok, I'm a little new on the terminology - 'popping' and 'spamming', and 'tank'. Yeah. I know (noob). I also didn't realize you could do anything to activate your pet's skills - I thought they were on autopilot, basically.

Should I reset my skills (strength, dex, int) or are they ok where they are?

The rest of it, I get - and if you don't get a chance to reply, that's fine, I think there's a glossary somewhere on the forums.

I really REALLY appreciate the input and advice, this will make a huge difference! Thank you very much!
    By 'pop' i just mean activate. Popping a skill just means using it. 'Popping' a pet means using their active arcane talent (the little blue paw above your skill slots).

Spamming means doing something quickly and repeatedly.

Tank refers to a warrior (or in some cases a mage) who can hold agro (agro means threat level; players with high threat level get attacked)

And yes, I think you need to respec. Go full dex. If you feel too squishy, put your extra skill points in the strength passive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Under level 30, its a good idea to think about which to run with Bow or Daggers after 30 the bow stats become quite good and can have both and alternate as needed. I like to run with a dagger build and 2nd is a Bow build, using the bow build for long distance boss kills.

I agree HIGH dodge is extremely important here.
    Personally i like to do more damage but i sacrifice on HP and so i spend a lot of money on health pots.

My key interests when selecting equipment in order of (personal) priority is:
    1. Dodge
    2. DPS (for daggers)
    3. Damage (for Bow this can move to number 2)
    4. Crit
    5. Mana (for skills)
    6. Health
    7. Armor

Like Jenvy said, if you feel squishy (because all our playing styles are different) maybe your Health is number 2, Armor Number 3 and then start with the damage stats.

Using common pets below 5000 gold (except Meep Moop because i like him)
    DEX pets Horton, Tankton and Meep Moop, these add a lot to damage and so is quicker to kill things.
    STR pets like Deary help with your health issues, i throw in Frost for his movement speed buff 'because' if you die a lot he can help you run back to the front lines.

INT Alejandro and Frost , if you like using skills a lot these are ok, but not common for Rouges i feel.
    Most other cheap pets have Damage or Crit type buff's some have 10% dodge, but a DEX pet does close to that anyway.