Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What long threads do you want me to write about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Default What long threads do you want me to write about?

Ok, I am planning on starting my long threads soon enough. This thread is primarily addressed to the oldies, but anybody is welcome to participate.

Current plans include (although the order is open to change):

1. An equipment thread and a thread for PvP rebalance

This one will build on this thread:
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-from-the-past

It will discuss the state of balance, and address other issues that I feel need to be addressed.

2. A community thread

3. An outlook on the game industry

4. Maybe a thread for rebuilding PL's popularity

It will expand on this thread:
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-for-this-year

and perhaps this one
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...t-s-glory-days

5. Perhaps a new code of honor that expands on Noobmigo's thread.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...e-Of-Etiquette

6. A suggestion for something new based on experiences with other MMOs.

7. Requested thread: A commentary on the economy

But as far as thread's go, I am open to writing about pretty much anything people think is important or to change the order. Thread 2 and 3 are indirectly related, but if you see what I have to write, I think you'll conclude that they're useful contributions.

1,2, and 6 are definitely going to be written. I am finalising what I want on the other threads though and may add part 2s.

Edit:
    I'm pretty flexible to suggestions, ideas, and the like. It may take a couple of days though for me to respond (I am a part time poster for a reason), but I'll try to respond to the majority of comments here.

Also if there's anything you want prioritised let me know.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 10-17-2013 at 09:52 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhoIsThis For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts

As you said the Code of Etiquette should become a sticky and maybe added to the tip page in game.
    I'm looking forward to your set analysis thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

2-4 have been written multiple times with intense discussions in each. 2-4 have been written within the past month.

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

Maybe about PL's popularity
    Honestly, whatever topic you discuss, it will cover far more than that, and be another one of the most outstanding and thought-provoking.
    I really appreciate all the time that you put in your threads. They keep the forum from atrophying more than many realize.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tHelonestud For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faliziaga View Post
    As you said the Code of Etiquette should become a sticky and maybe added to the tip page in game.
    I'm looking forward to your set analysis thread.
    Fali<3
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Rebuilding PL's community/an outlook of the gaming industry.

I'm interested to know if PL were to revamp it's population up like it once did at a certain point, then perhaps STS would treat the game differently.

But I'm fine and very grateful for any topic you wish to talk about

9. The Following User Says Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

There does not appear to be a consensus at this point, so it may come down to me using a dice to decide it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Everyone'sFavMage's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tHelonestud View Post
    Maybe about PL's popularity
    Honestly, whatever topic you discuss, it will cover far more than that, and be another one of the most outstanding and thought-provoking.
    I really appreciate all the time that you put in your threads. They keep the forum from atrophying more than many realize.
    this ^ your posts are the best reads I've had on any forum. So insightful and full of life.

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post

I'm interested to know if PL were to revamp it's population up like it once did at a certain point, then perhaps STS would treat the game differently.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

^ Yeah, this one. All sorts of balancing have been the top topics for as long as I can remember. Not that a thread about balancing would do any harm - but the area has been covered multiple times and most forumers are getting kinda numb for balancing threads.

Rebuilding community... I don't recall that topic itself to be in discussion in a while. While some people's attempts for a better community have been more or less a failure, I do not believe there has been a wide analysis on the subject.

I personally think the reason for the community's decreasing "quality" is just simply because the playercore is way more younger than it was like 2 years ago. Don't get me wrong, PL's community is still the best community I've ever been part of, but it's saddening to see how few "quality" posters there have been in like a year. And all along there are more people leaving than joining in both the game and the forums.

I myself see the reason for PL's "immaturing" to be that when PL was launched way back in 2010, it was the first major mobile MMO. PL was a miracle and the prime MMO for mobile devices. Such as Guild Wars 2 and WoW are the prime pc MMOs. PL attracted more people overall at it's prime. Not only kiddies who think warriors are cool because they have a big sword.

Now there are many more advanced mobile MMOs and PL is just a sort of "we were here first". Struggling but still lingering here mostly by loyal customers. PL nowadays reminds me a bit of EverQuest. Both were first majors in their segments, and while there are bigger players in markets, the loyalty and the right to say "we were here first" are what keep both games alive.

Got a bit longer than I expected, eh, have fun reading.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    There does not appear to be a consensus at this point, so it may come down to me using a dice to decide it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, announce when u will be making that thread so I can save it as a bedtime read!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dudetus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

I particularly would like to read 1, 2, and 4. However, I'll enjoy reading any one of the six in full detail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Ok so now there seems to be an increasing consensus around 2.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Voice of reason here...

To be honest, the community which use to actually "read" these threads is gone. Yes, there will be a handful of us who will respond and discuss issues, however, most will not. This is not the thought provoking community you and I joined. I should also add, many of the topics you brought up, as stated above, have been discussed numerous times in the last few months. Griffinfan and I both wrote lengthy "community" based threads and I started a "community" based group which 37 individuals have joined and a majority of those are inactive. Justg has a thread built around discussing balance and changes. The other topics, though would be interesting reads for some of us, would be just for a few of us who "truly" care and post with informative, thoughtful posts.

I am by no means trying to dicourage you, nor discredit you. I just hate to see you waste your time on something which will do just that: waste your time. The trolls will find a way to troll, and there will be those who may read the first paragraph, thank you, and forget the thread 10 minutes later as they rage in PvP. My advice would be to orgsnize your thoughts into a smaller, concise post and place that into one of the existing threads, especially those started by devs/mods.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    ^ Yeah, this one. All sorts of balancing have been the top topics for as long as I can remember. Not that a thread about balancing would do any harm - but the area has been covered multiple times and most forumers are getting kinda numb for balancing threads.

Rebuilding community... I don't recall that topic itself to be in discussion in a while. While some people's attempts for a better community have been more or less a failure, I do not believe there has been a wide analysis on the subject.

I personally think the reason for the community's decreasing "quality" is just simply because the playercore is way more younger than it was like 2 years ago. Don't get me wrong, PL's community is still the best community I've ever been part of, but it's saddening to see how few "quality" posters there have been in like a year. And all along there are more people leaving than joining in both the game and the forums.

I myself see the reason for PL's "immaturing" to be that when PL was launched way back in 2010, it was the first major mobile MMO. PL was a miracle and the prime MMO for mobile devices. Such as Guild Wars 2 and WoW are the prime pc MMOs. PL attracted more people overall at it's prime. Not only kiddies who think warriors are cool because they have a big sword.

Now there are many more advanced mobile MMOs and PL is just a sort of "we were here first". Struggling but still lingering here mostly by loyal customers. PL nowadays reminds me a bit of EverQuest. Both were first majors in their segments, and while there are bigger players in markets, the loyalty and the right to say "we were here first" are what keep both games alive.

Got a bit longer than I expected, eh, have fun reading.

Yeah, announce when u will be making that thread so I can save it as a bedtime read!
    Sorry for the double post, for some reason my tag didn't work and I don't often have the chance to prove Mr. Ninja wrong.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...g-All-Arms!***
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

just spam for people to join the forums in towne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Voice of reason here...

To be honest, the community which use to actually "read" these threads is gone. Yes, there will be a handful of us who will respond and discuss issues, however, most will not. This is not the thought provoking community you and I joined. I should also add, many of the topics you brought up, as stated above, have been discussed numerous times in the last few months. Griffinfan and I both wrote lengthy "community" based threads and I started a "community" based group which 37 individuals have joined and a majority of those are inactive. Justg has a thread built around discussing balance and changes. The other topics, though would be interesting reads for some of us, would be just for a few of us who "truly" care and post with informative, thoughtful posts.

Actually I agree with this ... more than you realize. The probability that my threads will cause anything is relatively low.

Let's just say that most people I've talked to acknowledge that this is probably not going to get anything done, but more of a sort of "what might have been" type of thread (for the record, I do have a few people that I am in touch with through email).

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    I am by no means trying to dicourage you, nor discredit you. I just hate to see you waste your time on something which will do just that: waste your time. The trolls will find a way to troll, and there will be those who may read the first paragraph, thank you, and forget the thread 10 minutes later as they rage in PvP. My advice would be to orgsnize your thoughts into a smaller, concise post and place that into one of the existing threads, especially those started by devs/mods.

I may end up making a short thread later on to condense my thoughts. But yeah I do recognize that my long threads are not likely to provoke action - just limited discussion.

There is one other thing that I do intend to say to you - I was planning on keeping this in a PM, but I'll be blunt: Truth be told, the devs simply do not hold me to the esteem that they hold to you. Parth, David, or Royce have. I am not "liked" by the devs. I'm not jealous or anything like that, but I am observant enough to recognize that I am looked down upon. I agree that I have done said some things I should not have at times (and I feel bad especially towards you), but regardless of the reasons, I do not hold credibility. My words mean little. Among the community - yes, among the devs - not so much. Note for example that a disproportionate number of my threads have been locked, regardless of the insights in them and my efforts to maintain a relatively moderate tone. I highly suspect that had yourself or Parth written such things, your threads would not be. Again, I would like to emphasize that I do not covet popularity nor any resentment/jealousy or anything like that over this - it just "is" in a sense. That and the fact that I have never tried to actively become "popular" or "funny". In that regard, I suppose, yourself, Will, Parth, David, Moth, and a few of the others can justifiably claim to be the biggest contributors, at least in PL's community and my contributions insignificant.

Truth be told, even if one of you were to write a thread on the scope of the ones that I write (or if someone like Physiologic, Ellyidol, or Royce returned), the probability that it will cause major action is low - simply because well, this game may be at the end of the line. The content update 11 months ago may very well be the last one for PL. Also I do want to mention that I have taken the time to search and look at what has been said. There may be some overlap, but for the most part, I do plan on making an original piece of work.

Finally - I do want to thank you for being honest with me about this. I do hold you in esteem, even though I do not always agree with everything that you say.

It would, but it's not so simple from a revenue standpoint. As I said, it's a chicken and egg problem. Not enough players = not enough revenue = no justification for further investment in the game.

As I've indicated to Crim, it's more of a "what might have been" type of thread - well, maybe a "what could happen if STS invested in PL or AL" type of thread. I mean at this point, there are options that they have:

AL will run it's course. At that point, they can:

1. Double down on AL like I am suggesting with PL
    2. Invest in an existing game like PL or SL for a major upgrade
    3. Develop yet another title of "Legends" or something like "Battle Dragons" that also shares the engine and key components

3 seems by far the most probable based on the past.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 10-17-2013 at 08:29 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoIsThis For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

3,4,& 6 would be interesting to me personally. I remember 5 recent threads on community and a couple on pvp, I think a lot has already been said and we might want to keep it in one place so it has more utility for the devs. 4 & 6 is my vote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

To be honest, I think a good start would to be include some of the old threads in our signatures, such as Noobmigo's. I read number 1 and instantly realized that people have already strayed from it, which means people probably don't know the thread even exists.

The reason I know this works is because I created my signature thread last year, also when it died. I just came back to the forums a few months ago, edited my signature a little bit and included a link to the shop, and instantly received comments the next day, all from a simple signature link.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mothwing For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    To be honest, I think a good start would to be include some of the old threads in our signatures, such as Noobmigo's. I read number 1 and instantly realized that people have already strayed from it, which means people probably don't know the thread even exists.

The reason I know this works is because I created my signature thread last year, also when it died. I just came back to the forums a few months ago, edited my signature a little bit and included a link to the shop, and instantly received comments the next day, all from a simple signature link.

Are there any in particular that you recommend (apart from the ones in your own signature)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

I came to the same problem myself xD

At the moment none come to mind, but I think if some of us included some of the same threads, it could make a bigger impact, for example Noobmigo's thread.

I'll do some searching tonight and get back to you

EDIT: Check Redbridge's list in Player Guides, I went there but didn't search as much as I'd like to, since I'm doing HW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    I came to the same problem myself xD

At the moment none come to mind, but I think if some of us included some of the same threads, it could make a bigger impact, for example Noobmigo's thread.

I'll do some searching tonight and get back to you
    Very well. Let me know what suits you best. I cannot make assurances that I will include everything that suits you, but I will take it strongly under consideration. Also, let me know what particular portions are the most relevant in your opinion.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoIsThis For This Useful Post: