Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reward as Kills Increase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Reward as Kills Increase

I was thinking of a nice little system that would be cool to add to the current drop algorithm to make drops A little more fair.

The plan goes like this:

• Internally the engine records each time you get a drop from a given boss.
    • If it's not a top tier drop you get a point against that boss.
    • As you kill said boss more times and don't get a good drop your points against that boss increase. 1 point per kill. Maybe no points but no reset for a second tier drop.
    • Each time you kill said boss you get an increased chance of a better item based on the number of points you have against that boss.
    • If you get a good drop your points are reset to 0.

The crux is those who kill a given boss a lot of times without getting a good item slowly get a better chance of a better drop each time. Bit more of a reward for perseverance.
    Last edited by Gavry; 11-10-2010 at 06:17 AM.
    GAVRY - LEVEL 50 TANK | BAVIAN - LEVEL 50 CASTER
    Gavry's Great Ideas Thread | Pocket Legends Manual Thread | Skill Overhaul Document | Quest Overhaul Document
    To my friends, thanks for the good times. Goodbye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry on iPhone, just realised I wasn't on suggestions board. Though I'd changed.
    Last edited by Gavry; 11-10-2010 at 05:48 AM.
    Gavry's Great Ideas Thread | Pocket Legends Manual Thread | Skill Overhaul Document | Quest Overhaul Document

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

WANT. I would have like hundreds of points.... more in fact
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavry View Post
    [*] If you get a good drop your points are reset to 0.
    yeah but what is a "good" drop then? for example in AO3 u coud get a pink like fate or u can get one like cosmos or u get a simple purple..
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Sounds too complicated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Riccits View Post
    yeah but what is a "good" drop then? for example in AO3 u coud get a pink like fate or u can get one like cosmos or u get a simple purple..
    there is a clear distinction i think, between the likes of fate vs cosmos, destiny vs rift, etc\
    this would allow the item sets to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Sounds too complicated.
    that's no answer...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Sounds too complicated.
    There's nothing complicated to it. It would all happen under the covers. All it would mean in essence is that if you persist and kill the overlord 100 times without getting jack you have a much better chance of an epic item dropping for you next run than Someone who is just killing him for the first time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I don't mean I don't like the idea. I just don't think the devs would implement something like this. Seems like too much to track for each character. Considering how limited things like the shop are, this osunds very unlikely to happen. Would probably make lag issues even worse. One extra thing for it to be constantly tracking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the battle mechanics happens server-side already. Logging every kill for every player probably happens already. With a good database under the hood this is trivial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

i would be open for such an idea... sometimes its really annoing kill and kill bossen and get nothing... ppl who playing a lot should get more good loots!
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

If they do it, great!

I think the lag problems should be fixed first, though. Surprised they weren't fixed in this new update.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

No. I like the idea but no.

Pinks will be so easy to get....
    The market will get even worse..

More pinks on the market = lower prices for them.

Also everyone will have the best items...

Replay value will decrease...

I rather farm for hours than get welfare pinks.
    (Yes I killed a dev)
    Don't screw with the pew! (not literally) lol
    Active Toons: MoarPewPew,Enrages,PewPewJr
    I award Pew Points.(Keep Track!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoarPewPew View Post
    No. I like the idea but no.

Pinks will be so easy to get....
    The market will get even worse..

More pinks on the market = lower prices for them.

Also everyone will have the best items...

Replay value will decrease...

I rather farm for hours than get welfare pinks.
    I just dont think you get it... think of those people who either dont have all those hours to farm, and every run counts. helps them this does. also, for people who simply DONT get the drops (moi) this will even the board with lucky damn already-rich players.
    besides
    with the nerf rushed, items should increase in price, so we need a definite way of gathering items for ourselves. you shouldn't necessarily just play for acquiring gold and using it for items, you should be rewarded with the items themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I disagree. Same chance every time is fine with me. Purples and their corresponding pinks need to become more valuable, and not called "crap". Just put some m/s and h/s on those items and people will want them. The space suits are the problem. They are too rare and they are so much more powerful than the purples and other pinks that they devalue everything, and people get a feeling that they are entitled to a space suit. The farmers made more of them available for a fee, and anyone could buy one. Now there will be fewer of them, but people still feel they are entitled to have one.

I think more people will actually have a chance to get a space suit now, because there will be less booting. It won't be five str based characters and boot all the birds and mages anymore. Now the debuffs that birds and mages have are needed. Now they don't have to gold farm and buy their space suits from str based rushers. So more people will have chances.

In swamps did everyone have a witch toad tiara? No. Does everyone have bone armor to use in LE? No. But everyone thinks they are entitled to a space suit. Me, too! I want my wraith armor of the void. If I had the set I would have 32 more points of armor and a ton more m/s. Of course I want it. And so I am playing in level 3.

But the problem is that the players need that much armor to survive the yellow aliens. On the other hand, the yellow aliens are all armor. Debuff them and they wilt.

So I think the purples and "crap" pinks need to be more in line with the sort of protection you get from a space suit.

So it's either that the space suits are overpowered or the others are underpowered, but they need to balance it. Purples should not be liquidation fodder. Purples should be desirable.

An even more radical idea is that then game should not be based on items and acquisition, but one skills and stats, with items giving only some help. Then a character's development means more, and the rush to possess does not take over the game.

So I don't think it is right to further the idea that there are only 3sets of good items in the game. They need to make the other pinks, and the purples, into items that are also appreciated. I just don't think it's right that these 3 sets give so much more protection that everyone feels they must have them or they are being cheated out of what is rightfully theirs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Again, I don't know what teams you were joining, but mine always tried to have a balance of bears, birds and mages. After all, you get the most combos that way. And birds are needed against keeper and Ol or they're pretty much undefeatable. It's usually helpful to have a mage/pally for healing and rev (especially with Gurg). So we always looked for a balanced team. So I don't know what you're talking about all bear teams. I think now it'll need less teamwork because the bosses are easier and the main concern will just be clearing mobs as soon as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Lesrider, one or two games a day that allowed strength birds and paladins constitutes an exception. Most rush farming was being done by bears. Every day we had two or three posts complaining about being booted and it was level 50 dex birds and pure int mages who were the victims of this bullying. Those people are now wanted. I know this. I played last night. People were not being booted. Heck, just getting them to stay after a few deaths was hard enough.

But to the OP, the real problem is the imbalance between the space suit gear versus all the other pinks and the purples. Correct that imbalance and the feeling of entitlement will settle down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It wasn't the exception for our teams, that's what I'm saying. It's really just a matter of finding the right people to play with who want to do it the same way as you. If you're not yet ready for a more advanced team, find others who you can practice with and before you know it you'll have a team of likeminded people.
    And many people get booted because either the spot was full, or we needed a specific class (lacking one of them) or they've proved several times that they're not very helpful to the team. So maybe that's why you got booted and not simply because of your class alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I guess my experience has been different from yours. All I saw was farming teams of str bears and booted birds and mages. I NEVER saw games where people actually played, only bears farming and booting. We would spend all day on the boards trying to create teams that actually play the maps in succession, only to have them fall apart after a few deaths.

This is not a discussion about how you would always farm in a locked map and you did invite a pally once in a while because you needed someone to rez. I am not personally criticizing how you played your locked games. I am talking about what really happened most of the time, and that was birds and mages got the boot.

But please, we need to address the original post.

The OP wants a system to ensure that people who take out the bosses more get better chances for a space suit. I am saying, less booting, more people playing levels equals more chances for anyone to get a space suit. Besides, people should not feel entitled to a space suit. Further, the "crap" pinks and purps are considered trash because the space suits throw off the game balance. And finally this game is too gear-based. If it were more based on stats and skills, people wouldn't be incited to greed.

Those four points keep getting ignored when you keep insisting that your locked games were fair. The truth is, birds and mages were not welcome in 99% of the farming games. Every day we were inundated with complaints here about being booted even though people were level 50. And the real reason was, those were farmers who were being bullies. That problem is solved. I have not seen a single complaint about being booted in the last two days. And you watch, there won't be many all week. That is simply because the bears now need our debuffs. And that is why I am happy with this nerf!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavry View Post
    I was thinking of a nice little system that would be cool to add to the current drop algorithm to make drops A little more fair.

The plan goes like this:

• Internally the engine records each time you get a drop from a given boss.
    • If it's not a top tier drop you get a point against that boss.
    • As you kill said boss more times and don't get a good drop your points against that boss increase. 1 point per kill. Maybe no points but no reset for a second tier drop.
    • Each time you kill said boss you get an increased chance of a better item based on the number of points you have against that boss.
    • If you get a good drop your points are reset to 0.

The crux is those who kill a given boss a lot of times without getting a good item slowly get a better chance of a better drop each time. Bit more of a reward for perseverance.
    one more cool idea
    Mrbanana,Fathomgen,Mrluffy,Pleasemenow,Expiired,Mr sluffy

Whoever found this post helpful vote up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the idea but it's far too late. The game is too far in to go back source code and add a whole new algorithm that may or may not even run correctly. Algoritm's are tricky and take a long time to get perfected, if people thought 1.5 took long, this would take probably half a year if not longer.

Also, I do feel that a system like this is FAIR but to be honest in life and games nothing is fair. I appreciate the fact that's it's by random and all though I hate it sometimes, I think it's best to keep it at random. Items would no longer have any rarity, what strives people to get the new items at the launch of a new expedition is the randomness. You keep doing runs with high hopes of getting a good drop but if you know that if you do enough runs eventually your garentee'd a rare drop, then there goes lack of motivation for anyone to buy items aside from the lazy players. :3
    Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNINGLORD67
    Actually headshot gives 75 xp...

...IN MODERN COMBAT 2 BLACK PEGASUS LOL!!!!!!
    IGN: MurdocX