Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game mechanics and equipment, a thread to reform PL and re-establish class balance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

True but my arguments are based off of twink levels, where not all builds include debuffs. And if I think cb could be healed off then a bear would have no chance against a mage low level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

I think reformations should benefit twink level if twink or endgame gets reformed. I believe so b/c, the level ranges are so much greater for twink than endgame. Just my two-cents

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sheugokin View Post
    I think reformations should benefit twink level if twink or endgame gets reformed. I believe so b/c, the level ranges are so much greater for twink than endgame. Just my two-cents
    But endgame and higher up levels where luck is dominant is where most of the reforms are needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heroelite View Post
    True but my arguments are based off of twink levels, where not all builds include debuffs. And if I think cb could be healed off then a bear would have no chance against a mage low level.
    With twinks, it's really going to come down to the level. I think each twink tier will have to be individually rebalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroelite View Post
    But endgame and higher up levels where luck is dominant is where most of the reforms are needed.
    The bulk of the reforms at the moment are geared towards 50+. But all levels should see some degree of benefit.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 11-06-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    With twinks, it's really going to come down to the level. I think each twink tier will have to be individually rebalanced.

The bulk of the reforms at the moment are geared towards 50+. But all levels should see some degree of benefit.
    Just to add to this, WhoisThis is dealing with concepts here. Another way to put it is, he is laying the foundation. Right now PL is broken from the foundation up. He's fixing the foundational issues with his ideas, and only from there can he, or anyone else, begin to fix the rest of the game.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Ok I've added drafts for the dex and str based on my 2011 thread. It's still very much a work in progress though.'

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    Just to add to this, WhoisThis is dealing with concepts here. Another way to put it is, he is laying the foundation. Right now PL is broken from the foundation up. He's fixing the foundational issues with his ideas, and only from there can he, or anyone else, begin to fix the rest of the game.

Pretty much this. I'll put together a summary version of this thread later on when I'm done. It's going to contain all the recommended changes.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 11-07-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts

Swift bird with blue ring of valiant glory

Attachment 45869

Warbird with blue ring of valiant glory

Attachment 45870
    Last edited by Faliziaga; 11-07-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: added warbird

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Faliziaga For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Thanks Faliziaga - will provide some analysis later on. Busy right now.

Edit:
    Grr ... it seems the number of "thanks" you can give is limited in a 24h window.

Senior Member Everyone'sFavMage's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

I have bear bird Mage at lvl 45,51,56,61,66,71 and rhino fox at 60 if you need any pics with any gear lemme know.

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

This thread is informative, and good, however, I am confused on something, please forgive me if it is a stupid question and has been already answered.
    On the subject of buffs becoming percentages, I am fine with that, but if the damage part of the buff would be reduced to a percentage, wouldn't it make some problems at twinking?
    Ex: Lets take low level pvp, mage versus mage. If the defensive buffs were to be percentages, then it is all right. But if the dmg was changed into % , wouldn't it be a problem?
    If there is a pally, versus an int mage, the pally has less dmg, as points are into str, but higher tankiness and survivability. The int mage has good dmg, as he is int and has stronger attacks.
    But if the pally and mage were to buff, they would recieve low dmg from the buffs, so the int mages dmg inflicts onto the pally, where his tankiness lowers it, and he can heal it, resulting in near full health.
    The pally would get a very small dmg boost from the buff, and since pally already has significantly lower dmg than int mages, his attacks won't do much onto the int mages, and since the int mage has a high heal, he heals it away.
    So wouldn't it become endless, until one of them runs out of mana? There are also other ways it can affect different classes, which I do not have the time to write for now. As I said before, please forgive me if you had already answered it in ypur posts.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Caiahar For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstar View Post
    This thread is informative, and good, however, I am confused on something, please forgive me if it is a stupid question and has been already answered.
    On the subject of buffs becoming percentages, I am fine with that, but if the damage part of the buff would be reduced to a percentage, wouldn't it make some problems at twinking?
    Ex: Lets take low level pvp, mage versus mage. If the defensive buffs were to be percentages, then it is all right. But if the dmg was changed into % , wouldn't it be a problem?
    Good questions are always welcome.

The reason why I made the damage buffs as percentages was actually to improve balance. For example, say we have a buff that improves damage by 10%.

Say we have 2 toons, a twink that has an attack that does on average, 100 damage, and an endgame toon with 500 damage. That buff will do 110 for the twink and 550 for the endgame toon. The idea behind the percentages is that they scale with level, which is not the case with a number. I will likely create a separate thread explaining this in greater detail.

If there is a pally, versus an int mage, the pally has less dmg, as points are into str, but higher tankiness and survivability. The int mage has good dmg, as he is int and has stronger attacks.
    Correct.

But if the pally and mage were to buff, they would recieve low dmg from the buffs, so the int mages dmg inflicts onto the pally, where his tankiness lowers it, and he can heal it, resulting in near full health.
    Correct. Suppose we have our 10% buff. Suppose the pally does 300 damage and the int mage 400 damage for an attack. The buff would mean that the pally now does 330 damage and the int mage does 440 damage. At the same time, let's imagine that they have an armor buff. The armor buff will give a greater buff to the pally, because they have more armor as a result of wearing str gear.

The pally would get a very small dmg boost from the buff, and since pally already has significantly lower dmg than int mages, his attacks won't do much onto the int mages, and since the int mage has a high heal, he heals it away.
    So wouldn't it become endless, until one of them runs out of mana? There are also other ways it can affect different classes, which I do not have the time to write for now.
    Pally vs int mage fights are usually not that long. You have to understand that if one side does enough burst damage that is high enough that the other cannot heal, the other will die. This is good because it emphasizes timing above all else, which in turn emphasizes skill. In PvP, it's not so much about doing crazy high sustained damage as much as it is about doing high burst damage. Selecting the right moves at the right time is what makes the difference.

A lot of new players I find tend to think that PvP is all button mashing. In an luck based RNG type PvP with super high dodge, there's some truth to that statement. But with less dodge, it becomes more about timing, and hitting the right skill at right time. This subject too deserves a separate thread.

At some point, I will make a series of short threads on several issues that I consider unaddressed.

As I said before, please forgive me if you had already answered it in ypur posts.
    Good questions are always welcome. Well thought out questions are a good thing - they may bring up something that I have overlooked. Let me know of the other scenarios that you wish to address.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 11-09-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I'm going to re-write the equipment section this weekend so that it's shorter and a bit more relevant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    I'm going to re-write the equipment section this weekend so that it's shorter and a bit more relevant.
    Awesome! Let us know when...

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

@Whoisthis: Thanks for the reply, I see things more clearly now.
    All of these ideas are good, making buffs into percentages, etc.
    But if these were to happen, would they work well with the recent dmg nerf? The dmg nerf, IMO, didn't make things better much, so I'm wondering if these would work well together with the dmg nerf, as I don't exactly see it being taken away soon.

All for one, and one for all.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

But if these were to happen, would they work well with the recent dmg nerf? The dmg nerf, IMO, didn't make things better much, so I'm wondering if these would work well together with the dmg nerf, as I don't exactly see it being taken away soon.

I suppose if they implemented the rest of his suggestions, revoking the damage nerf would be a small deal

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

str-dex bear with ring of valiance (savage scythe set)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  283.2 KB

pure str bear with ring of valiance (both with savage shield, not egg)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  288.5 KB
    Last edited by stricker20000; 11-09-2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: added pure str bear

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stricker20000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts

Str mage with blue ring of valiant glory

Attachment 46026

Dex fox with blue dragon ring

Attachment 46027

Str fox with blue dragon ring

Attachment 46028

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Faliziaga For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Pretty much I'm calling for the nerf to be phased out.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    I suppose if they implemented the rest of his suggestions, revoking the damage nerf would be a small deal
    Yep. Essentially from a mechanics standpoint, the game would be similar to pre-angel 66, except for one aspect. Skill points would matter. A lot. Not everyone would have the same build.

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    Can you explain what effective damage is?

As far as I see it, Waug, damage primarily comes from attribute points and increasing the skill levels... not from the base damage.
    Well, in the context of Pocket Legends, effective damage would be:

Damage done - armor

And in the context of PvP
    (Damage done - armor) x (1 - target's dodge percentage)

That said, I do not believe that he took the time to read my suggestions, judging by the first line (as I put exactly that in my post) nor did he take my suggestion to read up on Physiologic's posts about game mechanics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Please Sam, Delphina H2N, anyone!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS !!!!!!!!!! I say that someone send this directly to support. This has to be implemented. If STG is not going to raise a cap, DO THIS! PLEASE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

By any chance, does anybody have a screenshot of a pure int mage with the crafted Fiery Dragon and a dragon set (any) ring?