Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PvP tips against warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Default PvP tips against warrior

I can put up a decent fight against rogues but it is pretty rare that a heads up fight against a warrior doesn't end with me being jam. Any tactics to help our survivability?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

For 1 single warrior, FB Stun, shield and move slightly away then shoot light / ice , pet stun if you have time it is the best then keep spamming auto attack, repeat again till he is dead and if you are lucky and have hp to continue

forget about heal it wont last you more to kill the warr
    Last edited by will0; 11-06-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Ask woofcookie. He's OP when it comes these types of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I was thinking in a curse/clock/stun combo...but no plat to respect yet...anybody tried it?
    VALAR MORGHULIS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by will0 View Post
    For 1 single warrior, FB Stun, shield and move slightly away then shoot light / ice , pet stun if you have time it is the best then keep spamming auto attack, repeat again till he is dead and if you are lucky and have hp to continue

forget about heal it wont last you more to kill the warr
    The warrior will pull you. Or skyward smash at you.

I tried firing fire, ice, light, auto attack combo on a stand still warrior that only cast heal. The warrior laugh so hard at me as it is impossible to kill him except if you disturb his heal cast. Just run or call another warrior.

This only applied on level 26 below. Idk much about endgame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    The warrior will pull you. Or skyward smash at you.

I tried firing fire, ice, light, auto attack combo on a stand still warrior that only cast heal. The warrior laugh so hard at me as it is impossible to kill him except if you disturb his heal cast. Just run or call another warrior.

This only applied on level 26 below. Idk much about endgame.
    Use Misty to get rid of stun xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Kind of risky fight with a pet woth that particular arcane...im not a warrior tho

Robhawk

Its easy: A good mage cant kill a good warrior in 1on1, period!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

i disagree!!!
    good mage can kill good warrior. it depends on your timing. with a right combo (skill and pet) you can make them cry. (part of their skill is with cry, i forgot the exact name but i believe it is named with cry)

LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zwapper View Post
    i disagree!!!
    good mage can kill good warrior. it depends on your timing. with a right combo (skill and pet) you can make them cry. (part of their skill is with cry, i forgot the exact name but i believe it is named with cry)

LOL
    War cry xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

Keep your distance make them use out their mana, when a warrior is low on mana hes extremely easy to kill

Then again, i suck at 1v1 lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

In TDM, when I am facing a warrior I use a pet with speed like slag. If you have a speed advantage you can negate some attacks by running away and firing fireball & lightning. Unfortunately, it seems like they can stun me more often then I can stun them. And things like axe throw and skyward smash have some ridiculous range. Also even if I'm not close I can be taking damage. This is why you see some warriors just spamming their attacks because they know they can hit you without even being near them. I think you need shield and heal to prolong the fight as long as possible. So you can deplete their mana. If you're doing 1v1 in CTF, then probably using time shift with DOT damage will help. Energezic had a post about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

A good mage can beat a bad warrior easily. If you meet a fully geared warrior who knows what they are doing (full mythic with glaive or maul), you are more likely than not to die. Our stuns don't work well against warriors and their range for being a melee class is ridiculous. Unlike a rogue, we don't have the power output to kill warriors fast enough before they can shield and heal, at which point just forgetaboutit. If you like a challenge, then go for it. If not, don't even engage top warriors in 1v1. It has always been this way, rogues are easy for us to kill, and a good warrior has always been much more difficult to kill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Our stuns don't work because most warriors doing pvp have juggernaut. That skill makes it impossible for mages to kill them unless they get lucky with a gun proc or a cancel of horn skill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

IMPOSSIBLE OP is my experience for sure, but since I can't indefinately avoid warriors (they seem to be breeeding like flies in pvp) I was hoping that I was just incompetent. I have used several builds but no luck. Clyde is almost usless these days. Fireball stun is far less effective than maul stun. I can't run and kite without getting smashed or dragged back. Cooldown on Heal and Shield makes prolonged battle not an option either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

It all depends on the warrior you're fighting. Some warriors are (in my opinion) almost impossible to kill with a mage, or at least I haven't fully discovered it yet. I'm probably going to make a warrior soon and test it out against mages and look for a weak spot somewhere. But full powered good warriors are motherF$·%·"!"·$.

I have beat certain mauls in 1v1. For Tanks I prefer using FB + Ice in 1v1 since the Double DOT can disrupt their heals. The ice slows them down giving you wiggle room, 5/5 FB decreases their hit chance by 25% and stuns.

Mage NEEDS stun pet. It's almost a must against a warrior. Slag is good and of course Sam is brilliant. Colton got some passive stuns. I'm doing a few test runs with Ethyl and am having some interesting results.

When 1v1ing against warrior (even one that is average) HEAL is a must. If you can time your stuns and know when to use your shield, count out the 2 secs of invul, time your heals. You can survive pretty long against a warrior (certain ones at least)

In the field it's a different approach entirely. FB + ICE combo works pretty well still but you can use FB light, or FB curse or what have you and still drop a tank.

Curse against tank is not so effective. But if you can drop the tanks HP enough for him to preemptively drop his heal, wait for heal to finish, and then release the curse. Spam damage and stack your crits like crazy. Yet, curse is most effective against mages and rogues. Personally curse eats the crap out of me because of my DPS.

In conclusion;

Mages CAN kill tanks. I'd say about 80% of the tanks out there are "beatable". You just need to learn your combos, know how to pull the warrior, how to use your environment and your pet. There is 20% of the tanks out there that are impossible to kill solo. Maybe once I get the arcane staff I'll try again...but until then for those 20% the best approach is to whack them in teams of mages.

It's a tough pvp arena for Mages nonetheless. Not impossible...but tough.
    Officer in the Council of EOS
    EOS Attack Dog!
    The Furry Toe of the Camel will Always be Remembered

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WoofCookie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoofCookie View Post
    It all depends on the warrior you're fighting. Some warriors are (in my opinion) almost impossible to kill with a mage, or at least I haven't fully discovered it yet. I'm probably going to make a warrior soon and test it out against mages and look for a weak spot somewhere. But full powered good warriors are motherF$·%·"!"·$.

I have beat certain mauls in 1v1. For Tanks I prefer using FB + Ice in 1v1 since the Double DOT can disrupt their heals. The ice slows them down giving you wiggle room, 5/5 FB decreases their hit chance by 25% and stuns.

Mage NEEDS stun pet. It's almost a must against a warrior. Slag is good and of course Sam is brilliant. Colton got some passive stuns. I'm doing a few test runs with Ethyl and am having some interesting results.

When 1v1ing against warrior (even one that is average) HEAL is a must. If you can time your stuns and know when to use your shield, count out the 2 secs of invul, time your heals. You can survive pretty long against a warrior (certain ones at least)

In the field it's a different approach entirely. FB + ICE combo works pretty well still but you can use FB light, or FB curse or what have you and still drop a tank.

Curse against tank is not so effective. But if you can drop the tanks HP enough for him to preemptively drop his heal, wait for heal to finish, and then release the curse. Spam damage and stack your crits like crazy. Yet, curse is most effective against mages and rogues. Personally curse eats the crap out of me because of my DPS.

In conclusion;

Mages CAN kill tanks. I'd say about 80% of the tanks out there are "beatable". You just need to learn your combos, know how to pull the warrior, how to use your environment and your pet. There is 20% of the tanks out there that are impossible to kill solo. Maybe once I get the arcane staff I'll try again...but until then for those 20% the best approach is to whack them in teams of mages.

It's a tough pvp arena for Mages nonetheless. Not impossible...but tough.
    Learn from the best...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    In TDM, when I am facing a warrior I use a pet with speed like slag. If you have a speed advantage you can negate some attacks by running away and firing fireball & lightning. Unfortunately, it seems like they can stun me more often then I can stun them. And things like axe throw and skyward smash have some ridiculous range. Also even if I'm not close I can be taking damage. This is why you see some warriors just spamming their attacks because they know they can hit you without even being near them. I think you need shield and heal to prolong the fight as long as possible. So you can deplete their mana. If you're doing 1v1 in CTF, then probably using time shift with DOT damage will help. Energezic had a post about this.
    Btw, there's only a small percentage of warriors that actually run out of mana especially fighting against mages. Since mages have such fast cooldown times for their skills, it means that warriors that much more mana with the use Vengeful Blood (98% of end-game warriors use). For me, as a warrior, I never run out of mana, and I don't even use any intel passives, and if you do plan out to wait, then you mages will probably run out of mana first. There is a solution to get around the VB, though. I'm not sure if it will work or not, for I am not a mage, but when you see warriors use VB, I would just stop attacking and keep running, and when you see that the warrior's VB effect is finished, I'd slam him with skills. Why don't you try 6 skills? Heal, shield, and timeshift for the first half minute or so, but remember not to do any upgrades on timeshift that'll inflict dmg on us. Keep doing that until you somehow realize that the warrior seems depleted of mana (don't use skills when VB is active), and switch to fire, light, and ice, and bombard the warrior with everything you have. I'm not sure, but why don't someone try... I'm curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    Btw, there's only a small percentage of warriors that actually run out of mana especially fighting against mages. Since mages have such fast cooldown times for their skills, it means that warriors that much more mana with the use Vengeful Blood (98% of end-game warriors use). For me, as a warrior, I never run out of mana, and I don't even use any intel passives, and if you do plan out to wait, then you mages will probably run out of mana first. There is a solution to get around the VB, though. I'm not sure if it will work or not, for I am not a mage, but when you see warriors use VB, I would just stop attacking and keep running, and when you see that the warrior's VB effect is finished, I'd slam him with skills. Why don't you try 6 skills? Heal, shield, and timeshift for the first half minute or so, but remember not to do any upgrades on timeshift that'll inflict dmg on us. Keep doing that until you somehow realize that the warrior seems depleted of mana (don't use skills when VB is active), and switch to fire, light, and ice, and bombard the warrior with everything you have. I'm not sure, but why don't someone try... I'm curious.
    Thanks for the warrior's perspective but I have a few issues.

1.) It is almost impossible to outrun a warrior. FB will stun for a moment but one SS and/or throwing axe will make up that distance in a hurry.
    2.) Waiting out VB also means waiting out my own shield. Even a minor skirmish is instant death without shield. Holding off on the shield until after VB is depleated is also rarely an option.
    3.) Switching skills mid fight takes longer than I can stay alive standing still. (at least on a tablet it does)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nesox View Post
    Thanks for the warrior's perspective but I have a few issues.

1.) It is almost impossible to outrun a warrior. FB will stun for a moment but one SS and/or throwing axe will make up that distance in a hurry.
    2.) Waiting out VB also means waiting out my own shield. Even a minor skirmish is instant death without shield. Holding off on the shield until after VB is depleated is also rarely an option.
    3.) Switching skills mid fight takes longer than I can stay alive standing still. (at least on a tablet it does)
    Pertaining to #1, I'm sure there's some kind of formula and you could time your fireball so that it will stun the warrior right before he skyward smashes you or axe throws you, and time that lightning and hope for that 25% stun, but I'm not so sure.
    As for #2 and #3, all I can say is GG... I play mostly on iPad (pretty similar to tablet), and when I switch skills (I have 5 skills), it doesn't take that long, maybe 2 seconds at the most. Just gotta work those finger
    After all, these are just suggestions from a warrior's PoV, so...go figure, dude. Lolz