Thread: What i've been doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Default What i've been doing.

Hey folks, I figured I would let you in on what I have been doing. For years I have been off and on with programming and such, but now I am going full force into it. So, I am currently teaching myself Python with the help of online classes and my dad. One of my goals is to get an internship so I can get real world. So, I am working on getting an internship in the tech world so I can further my knowledge not only in coding, but also in marketing and business. I do not plan on going to college (Cue gasps of horror and disgust) because I think I could be far ahead of the competition if I work my butt off, teach myself, do a lot of networking, and get internships. Yes, I realize that a degree looks good on a resume, but I know that if I work hard enough I can achieve my goals.

Well that's pretty much it for now. If you want to keep up on what i'm doing you are welcome to follow me on twitter @BradleyYoungjr. I might start a blog in the future so i'll let you guys know when/if that happens.

Cheers and if you don't have anything nice to type, don't. Stay thirsty my friends.
    Last edited by Cascade; 11-07-2013 at 07:00 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cascade For This Useful Post:

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Nice!

Believe me or not, I am becoming a Programmer, too. Well, literally everybody in my family is working in the IT business so I thought I'd step in their foot steps.

At the moment I am on an IT college where I have a 3 years apprenticeship as programmer, though I'm only 1 month on it I learned more than in 6 months elsewhere.

Currently I am learning C# and basic Assembler. I still haven't figured the whole lesson plan for the next 3 years but I believe we will learn more languages.

Yes I had something to type. Take care

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocDoBig For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Thats great that you've found what you would like to do in life. I also have been doing programming. For the past 4 years as one of my hobbies I'm doing and learning programming and a some coding, video game design, computer arts, and website designing. I also don't plan to go to college but to use my skills to create apps and games when i have the time and as soon as I turn 18 I will be able to release my games I work on in my spare time.

Programmed-Level 85 mage, Praktica-Level 85 rhino

6. The Following User Says Thank You to programmed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DocDoBig View Post
    Nice!

Believe me or not, I am becoming a Programmer, too. Well, literally everybody in my family is working in the IT business so I thought I'd step in their foot steps.

At the moment I am on an IT college where I have a 3 years apprenticeship as programmer, though I'm only 1 month on it I learned more than in 6 months elsewhere.

Currently I am learning C# and basic Assembler. I still haven't figured the whole lesson plan for the next 3 years but I believe we will learn more languages.

Sounds awesome! Yeah, my dad is an awesome programmer so i'm going to try to carry on the baton. Really useful to have him if I ever get stuck on anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDoBig View Post
    Nice!

Sounds awesome! Yeah, my dad is an awesome programmer so i'm going to try to carry on the baton. Really useful to have him if I ever get stuck on anything.
    I have tryed learning some programming in my free time. I'm definitely not in a programming enviroment, which is difficult. Anything I can bring up on the web, I.e. learning programs/tools, is useful. I don't plan on making a career out it by any means, but I'm glad some people like y'all are though. ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Argyros View Post
    I have tryed learning some programming in my free time. I'm definitely not in a programming enviroment, which is difficult. Anything I can bring up on the web, I.e. learning programs/tools, is useful. I don't plan on making a career out it by any means, but I'm glad some people like y'all are though. ^^
    You should try codecademy.com, it's pretty straight-forward and if you get stuck there are forums that can help you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cascade For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Just a tip for all you young programmers out there. Learn the concepts of programming. Do not focus on specific languages. To be honest, picking up a languages is rather easy. Learning the concepts and fundamentals of programming will take you very far.

When I interview people, I generally don't even ask them about specific languages except to know their experience. I will ask them to explain to me or write pseudo code.

Best of luck

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    Just a tip for all you young programmers out there. Learn the concepts of programming. Do not focus on specific languages. To be honest, picking up a languages is rather easy. Learning the concepts and fundamentals of programming will take you very far.

When I interview people, I generally don't even ask them about specific languages except to know their experience. I will ask them to explain to me or write pseudo code.

Best of luck
    Thanks for the wisdom, appreciate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Best of luck
    Oh, well that's true, there's about 200+ languages. Isn't it a good way to start of with C and/or Java?

Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DocDoBig:1330881

Best of luck
    Oh, well that's true, there's about 200+ languages. Isn't it a good way to start of with C and/or Java?
    200+?!
    Oh gawd..I learning programming (Java) I don't think my brain gonna memorize all 200+ codes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizhe View Post
    200+?!
    Oh gawd..I learning programming (Java) I don't think my brain gonna memorize all 200+ codes...
    There are plenty of languages, but there is only a select few that actually get used a lot.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Personally I'm learning python language in my GCSE Computer Science course. We sometimes get homeworks and I could give you a couple of them to challenge your self and perfect it..

.. I revise on code academy because it is very informative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizhe View Post
    200+?!
    Yup. Around 250. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ming_languages

No worry, most of them have similarities in coding while others are complete different.
    Just do what Aed says and you will be fine. Java is quite good for the beginning.

Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Forum View Post
    Personally I'm learning python language in my GCSE Computer Science course. We sometimes get homeworks and I could give you a couple of them to challenge your self and perfect it..

.. I revise on code academy because it is very informative.
    That would be cool, PM me one when you can.