Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of an ALcoholic... (Warrior Tanking Thread)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Note: if you are not convinced ask Joncheese how fast I clear mobs when windmill crits, timeshift can eat its heart out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    242 Posts

Uhm, I'm happy about the attention this thread gets, but wouldnt that belong in warrior-class-discussions?

@crowsfoot: hahaha, now I know why non-maul-warries are able to squish me!

>->->-> Oldest & Finest German Guild in AL -- A Legend itself <-<-<-<
    Tipps, Tricks, Guides und mehr ---> heldenvonheute.forumatic.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

In response to crowsfoot and inkredible i have managed to tank all elite maps with my build using vengefull and held aggro just fine i thought, however after hearing both of u praise jugg so highly i will have to do some more experimenting with it come next free respec weekend, ive just always kinda written it off due to the fact it lasts like 8 seconds and has a 45 second cooldown which i can do vengefull almost twice in that time and also i feel vengeful is better for all maps except for possibly the very hardest elite ones (all of shuyal and a couple of the nordr ones) FREE RESPEC DEVS
    Retired Officer
    Chivalrous Union
    AARRGGGGGG/ARCHANIST

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

My pve:ss wm vb horn. .as for jugg. Its longer cooldown
    my pvp: im a noob in pvp now. I wonder wat the best skill build is in pvp.
    Duel with mage:ss cs jug Horn
    Duel with rog: ss axe jug Horn
    Duel with war: ss axe vb horn
    5v 5:ss jug vb horn
    My skill build:ss4/5 cs3/5 wm4/5 axe5/5 jug4/5(only for pvp ) vb5/5 Horn5/5
    Passive: might5/5
    Thx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aarrgggggg View Post
    In response to crowsfoot and inkredible i have managed to tank all elite maps with my build using vengefull and held aggro just fine i thought, however after hearing both of u praise jugg so highly i will have to do some more experimenting with it come next free respec weekend, ive just always kinda written it off due to the fact it lasts like 8 seconds and has a 45 second cooldown which i can do vengefull almost twice in that time and also i feel vengeful is better for all maps except for possibly the very hardest elite ones (all of shuyal and a couple of the nordr ones) FREE RESPEC DEVS
    Jugg, for every season previous to this one, has been a major dislike of mine.

However, in elite shuyal it is the only way I can run deathless (obviously not every time). I only have two upgrades in mine: self heal when you drop below 25% and ignore 20% of all damage.

Jugg does have an extremely long cool down, that's why WHERE you use jugg and WHEN are important to its effectiveness. When it is active you are basically immortal (spam pots anyway).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

@pvp inquiry:

I use heal, vb, jugg, axe throw, and ss

Five skills is how I role, you can adapt to cover your weaknesses which keeps oponents on their toes. I may lose the first match but I reasses and usually fair much better the second fight. And, dominate by the third.

IMO having this adaptabillity is more important than "throw away" points in passive dex.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Crow, I love the advice you've given in this thread so far, and you've probably even convinced me to go back to a 5 skill layout. (currently using your skills minus juggernaut) I think, aside from my reluctance to having to switch my skills out as I come up to a boss, my biggest issue with jugg as that I really haven't learned to use it well. Obviously with the huge cooldown it has to be timed just right for it to be effective. So, in a typical elite shuyal pull, what is your usual skill order and at what point do you use each one?

Frohn, I actually considered putting this thread in warrior class discussion but I felt like the way a warrior tanks is important for all classes to understand if they're going to be as effective as possible. I also feel like input from non-warriors is extremely helpful. I completely understand if it gets moved though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Glad I could help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    A few misconceptions I want to rest right away:

Why juggernaut?
    You need juggernaut, I am maxed gear wise for elite mob clearing and I NEED juggernaut for overgrow. If you don't have it speced change that immidiately.

Why vengeful blood?
    Vengeful blood often gets the bad rap of not being worth it, that warriors can never deal heavy damage. False, wrong, you can; although, for a short duration.
    *Here's the reasoning: I have 350 damage with samuel equipped (not asuch as a maul, but still quite a bit) and 420 dps. Vengeful blood is an extra +25% damage, but I also have +5% passive damage, and +10% damage from samuel (these are my buffs, I won't factor my ally's pets). Got that? +40% damage (this also effects dps as we know from bonus damage).
    The Math:
    Damage: 350 x 1.4 = 490 (warrior with maxed gear and a maul = 470)
    Dps: 420 x 1.4 = 588 (mage with maxed gear and kershal = 560)

I also have a 56% chance to crit and I always get 2 charged windmills and 4 non-charged skyward smashes off during this period.

I then follow up with 1 charged windmill and 2 non-charged skyward smashes off non-buffed

So 2/3 of my attacks (4 out of my 6 ss, and 2 out of 3 of my wm) are buffed.
    like i said pve is more of a team base where warrios damage isnt that important comparing to pvp. if u wanna tank. then tank, no need much for venge a few extra hundreds more damages wont make that much difference in pve

since u love math and proof, can ya do me a favor
    and compare running elite without venge and with

Don't waste my time, don't waste yours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inkredble View Post
    like i said pve is more of a team base where warrios damage isnt that important comparing to pvp. if u wanna tank. then tank, no need much for venge a few extra hundreds more damages wont make that much difference in pve

since u love math and proof, can ya do me a favor
    and compare running elite without venge and with
    I did. And, you know what? I like 1500 damage per target per second from windmill, it ranges 900-1900 depending on if I crit (over 50% chance), what debuffs I have on me, and if I pierce.

Windmill hits several targets and hits multiple times, and it deals only 650-900 when I don't have vengeful blood because not only do I deal less damage, I almost never crit (remember mages can technically deal more damage than rouges, they just don't crit nearly as often).

Note: I made good use of free respec weekend.

I have no problem with warriors using a different build, feeble is a valuable skill (obviously). However, for my current gear and fighting style I prefer the damage.
    Last edited by Crowsfoot; 11-15-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Default Confessions of an ALcoholic... (Warrior Tanking Thread)

Here's the thing with all of these builds and which to choose. It depends on what YOU feel you are lacking and what will make YOU more effective. Different people have different gear, different skill levels and different people they run with. If you you're struggling to keep yourself alive you should invest more in defensive buffs like Jugg, maybe grab CS for the feeble effect and take a look at your positioning, see if there are things you can do with movement of your toon to avoid certain attacks/stuns, timing of skills etc. if you are struggling with keeping your party from gaining aggro and dying go taunt heavy (HOR, WM and CS is such a good base for this) If you have a good handle on surviving and regularly run with people that can generally keep themselves alive with less help from a taunting warrior, then by all means, use VB with Windmill and CS or SS(especially if you are using a high damage weapon). It will help your run times, no doubt. So basically you need to find your own balance. First figure out how to keep yourself and your party alive. Once you've mastered that, try to find ways to reduce your runs times with your build/gear/strategy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ill make it simple.. I respect 13 times experimenting War Tank Build.
    So For a great effective pure tank build.

Equip Set which gives you a lot of STR (Health) and ARMOR. Forget dps and damage. MYTHIC Helm and Armor is Best to buy.

1st Set Party Survivability

1. CS - 2/5 For Canceling Mobs Attack and for Some Bosses .
    2. Windmill - 3/5 For Taunting and doing a little damage AoE , duration
    3. Juggernaut - 4/5 For Taunting , Damage Reduction , unstoppable , duration
    4.Horn of Renew - 5/5 For Taunting, heal and gives 2 seconds invunerable

The rest points go to passives. Maximize Might,Dex and Int gives more health to you so this passives are very helpful. You can maximize Durable for adding more Armor.

2nd Set Party Buffing Tanking (very effective) Party Survivability

1.Juggernaut 4/5 same from 1st set
    2.CS - 2/5 *********
    3.Rally Cry - 5/5 - Buffs party giving them boost in dodge and boost in armor and also in which helps in surviving, move speed and giving yourself additional damage reduction combin with juggernaut.
    4.Horn of Renew - 5/5 *****

Passives same in first set :-)
    Since you don't do damage much . The best you can do is to buff them, taunt mobs and bosses. cancel their attacks with CS. Always Charge Rally Cry

Best legendary weapon can use in tanking is Shade wall of will compared to dimensional.in

Best of All is Vigilant Pavisse of Fitness (Mythic Sword)

Best Pet you can use in this build are

*Orion
    *Snaggletooth
    *Ribbit
    *Shiloh
    *Abaddon
    *Koko
    Last edited by tobirama_senju82; 11-16-2013 at 01:21 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tobirama_senju82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Use timing in jugg and horn's and windmills taunt for holding aggrro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

For passives I am truley confused.

Why is it that no one uses passive armor? Its +5%. if you have 1600 armor or more its like having a permanent koko equiped (+80 armor).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

I did. And, you know what? I like 1500 damage per target per second from windmill, it ranges 900-1900 depending on if I crit (over 50% chance), what debuffs I have on me, and if I pierce.

Windmill hits several targets and hits multiple times, and it deals only 650-900 when I don't have vengeful blood because not only do I deal less damage, I almost never crit (remember mages can technically deal more damage than rouges, they just don't crit nearly as often).

Note: I made good use of free respec weekend.

I have no problem with warriors using a different build, feeble is a valuable skill (obviously). However, for my current gear and fighting style I prefer the damage.
    hmm interesting, which elite you testing this with? take out the pierce out of the equation since were talking about venge

with maul - say brackenridge elite easiest to test on- i could still hit 1k here and there .. avg i would say 650-900 without venge or proc - which ur math seems right
    with venge maybe 900-1300/400 no proc

so the + 200, or +300/400/500 to me is nothing compare to dps players.. yeah sure it helps but it doesnt help as much as you think .. its like eating left overs or crumbs .. dps can take that .. wont save u as much time

dont include proc / pierce in ur math .. obvs the math difference will be way off. not everyone got maul or glaive.

try testing with entombed warfare or something .. be a better math for average players, lemme no cuz im interested, ill do it myself but i dont have plats LOL

and oh.. what i really meant for you to do is..
    DO a full ELITE RUN .. say nordr with a party.. no venge and with venge build (dont do brackenridge.. too easy)
    do it a few times
    say 5-10 runs no venge , 5-10 runs with venge
    record the time . and lemme no how mch time u save with venge and if its that WHOLE difference and better to have vengeance
    since ur point is.. its faster to clear mobs.. which is more effective tanking in ur opinion

I been warrior for a long time, and still continuously learning.. i also know enough but sometimes i think youre missing the bigger picture because
    youre so focus on the damage you make.. rather than the whole RUN itself, easier map venge is fine,, some maps require survival - jugg helpful for taunt n self heal

the point in this is to see how effective venge is in pve.. because you seem to praise it so much for pve
    i will also do test myself when plats come around

thanks in advance
    Last edited by inkredible; 11-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

Why is it that no one uses passive armor? Its +5%. if you have 1600 armor or more its like having a permanent koko equiped (+80 armor).
    meh ive used it but having 1900 armor is enough to survive... its a waste of points for me to use,

u can use it, no problem its effective to a lot ppl if they dont have high enough armor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

I use 5/5 durable passive, and on top of that, I also use Jugg, VB, and Pavise ... so... sometimes, being virtually 'invincible' is cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    I use 5/5 durable passive, and on top of that, I also use Jugg, VB, and Pavise ... so... sometimes, being virtually 'invincible' is cool.
    This is pretty much what I do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

@ink I use elite Forest of Shades for all tests since I run it the most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

@ink I use elite Forest of Shades for all tests since I run it the most.
    good , try testing what i said,