Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: GameMaker Studio Free to Download for a Limited Time

1.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Default GameMaker Studio Free to Download for a Limited Time

A friend of mine that uses this software for pro creation recommended this for anyone looking to work on their own projects. I thought I'd post here for any aspiring Game Designers / Developers to check out:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/26/ga...e-creationists

While by no means the only game creation platform out there, GameMaker has powered a good few commercial indie games. Our own former Section Editor Tom 'Moneybags' Francis made his game, Gunpoint, using an older version of the tool. Now he spends his days circling the office in a Golden Helicopter, flicking spoonfuls of caviare at the windows. If flinging fish eggs at your former place of employment sounds appealing, maybe you should take advantage of GameMaker Studio's current deal, which lets you grab a free copy of the commercial Standard Edition.

It's a great tool for beginners, whether to act as the base of your early projects, or to empower you on to trying more flexible game engines. Even if you've no desire to make a proper, fully featured game, it's worth taking advantage of this offer, just to play about with its options. Who knows, your freeform tinkering could lead to something pretty great. The GameMaker engine is already behind games like Hotline Miami, Stealth Bastard and the original Spelunky.

To get your free copy of the Standard Edition, download the Free version of GameMaker Studio from this page. Once installed, a dialogue box will pop up, asking which update stream you want to draw from. Choose the Beta channel, and let the game install the latest beta release. From there, you can pick the option to register the Standard Edition. Enter you email address, and you'll be sent an activation code.

If you'd like to go a step further, the Professional Edition is currently available for $50. You can see a comparison chart of each version's features at the GameMaker website. According to the GameMakerBlog news site, "it’s likely that this is a time-limited offer, so if you’re using the free version of GameMaker Studio be sure to act quickly."

For more on GameMaker's potential as an engine, check out Tom F's feature on making games.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

I'll make Desperoto Legends
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    .................................................. ................................Sig made by BeelzzeBob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I've used this quite a long time ago. If you're new to the idea of creating games, it's not a bad first start. You can make decent games on it, but you're going to need to learn a programming language if you want to go any more advanced than a basic game. It's actually been quite a while since I've heard anything about it. There are much better drag and drop game makers in my opinion, that will even create 3D games.

They haven't changed from their Windows only thing, so it would still be useless to me. Not that I make these types of games. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Omg, I can finally make Grand Theft Legends!

~xvanitykingx

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

I actually use the lite version in a class i'm taking so this may actually be quite awesome to get the actual version

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    615 Posts

Neat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

I prefer to use coding but for school projects we use Multimedia Fusion 2 which is a "drag and drop" that works well if you don't mind the price.

Programmed-Level 85 mage, Praktica-Level 85 rhino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheScaryBeary View Post
    I prefer to use coding but for school projects we use Multimedia Fusion 2 which is a "drag and drop" that works well if you don't mind the price.
    There's always the option of torrenting it as well. Don't think I can link to it, but you can find it by googling "multimedia fusion 2 torrent".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

I'll give this a shot.

And thanks for this thread

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

It's doesn't seem to be working on my computer, but it might have to due with the fact that my GPU is very, very old (GeForce 7300 LE).

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

Gonna try this when I get home.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Nice, but I got 0 programming knowledge D: