Thread: How to Kill a Rogue: a Guide!

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Default How to Kill a Rogue: a Guide!

Hey folks,

Disclaimer: This guide is strictly for those who have trouble killing rogues in 1v1s - so yes, I'm not talking to you, arcane staff users. This guide is more geared towards the half-mythic/non-mythic users. Oh, and the build I use here isn't mine, it's Drgrimmy's with some tweaking of my own.

Now that that's out of the way...

1. There's a Thunderstorm Coming!
    This is one of my most favorite builds versus those snipers.

I chose this particular title because in this build, you will hit the rogue with all the elements you see in a thunderstorm!

Here we go...
    I. The Skill Build
    If you're having trouble using fire, light, shield and heal or whatever killing rogues, then this build below is for you!

Ice: The DoT is necessary. Other than that, it depends on what you like to run with.
    Curse: 5/5
    Shield: I prefer 4/5 without Displacing Wave.
    Lightning: 1,2 and 4 upgrades.

Passives:
    Might: 5/5
    Agility: 5/5
    Knowledge: 5/5
    Critical Shot: 5/5

If you have the spare points, invest in damage passive.

However, beware: Damage buffs don't stack. So if you're running with a pet that adds damage %, it will not stack with your passive.

Why this build is useful:

Rogues with HP below 3.5k usually will not attack while they're under curse. Fighting mages with 1 attack skill makes it a breeze to wait till the curse is over, picking up packs when it is necessary.

But now you have two of your hardest hitting attack skills. Which they won't be prepared for. With light and ice bashing them, they'll have no choice but to keep running for packs - and if the rogue has HP below 3k, there is no way they will last.

II. The Gear/Stats

In this era of mythics, you will need mythics to compete - or youll find it very hard indeed. The bare minimum of stats you must have to challenge most rogues are:

3.3k HP
    470 damage
    1k armor

If you don't have these stats, you'll very likely be walked over by full mythic rogues.

Gear preferred is:

Expedition Rifle of Brutality
    Mythic armor & helm/Tarlok's armor & helm
    Silver Hoop of Brutality/Ruby Band of Brutality
    Lunar Pendant/Tarlok's Heart of Brutality

You should play around with your stats to meet and/or surpass the bare minimum I have given above. If you're lacking in strength, feel free to socket blood gems; this is the wonder of our crafting system!

Now that you've got the gear, it's time to get yourself some good pets!

III. The Pets

I like pets that add lots of STR while not decreasing your damage values too much. Malison is the best choice.
    But if you have decent stats, here are pets which I love using with this build:
    a. Orion - the chance to panic on AA, good happiness bonus, 10% damage boost (remember, doesn't stack with damage passive!), and debuffs on passive attack make it a great all-round pet. A good alternative to Malison.
    b. Ribbit - Not really recommended for this build, but if you can pop it and then charge ice-lightning in quick succession, you'll hit pretty darn hard.
    c. Colton - Again, not really recommended; its damage boost is good though.
    d. Ethyl - Personal favorite. It adds 15 int and str, 10% damage and 6% crit. Its AA is, however, what you'll be using a lot...read more in the next section.
    e. Grimm - If you can afford it, its THE pet to use. Refer next section.

IV. The Fighting

And finally, the fight.

When you and your opponent are assembled in the spawn room, all ready to be off, and the countdown begins (3, 2, 1...GO!) your first move will be to charge forward. In the Charge of the Light Brigade, you must pop your shield and drop lightning on the rogue. If all things work as planned, your rogue will be waiting for you to arrive, with packs dropped neatly around her. Close the distance rapidly and charge ice. The combined effort of your light and ice should be enough to make the rogue run for her first pack. Your ice will have the double benefit of sloooowing the rogue down. Now is the time to unleash curse!

i. Orion: Use its stun immediately after curse is over, but you have to make sure ice and light are ready. Then, if the rogue is stunned, unleash ice and light in quick succession. This should be enough to kill a rogue; curse is essentially a double-shield. If it doesn't though (some rogues have 4k hp D: ) you have to spam ice and lightning and auto attack. Fragile method.

ii. Ethyl: A personal favorite. While the rogue is running to her packs, use Ethyl's arcane ability - this will slow the rogue down so much it'll be unable to reach faraway packs! THIS is the time to stay out of dagger range if mythic/magma daggers and spam ice and charged lightning.

iii. Ribbit: Tap ribbit before using light-ice combo. This can be immediately after popping shield in the Charge.

iv. Grimm: As soon as shield, lightning, ice and curse has been used, use Grimm's AA. It has devastating debuffs - and THAT is when you show the rogue just how hard you can hit.

Panic pets are of course great.

An important thing to watch out for are rogues who charge SP. They can cancel your curse so be careful!

V. Pro Tips
    A traditional rogue starts a fight using two ways. They are:

The PACKS way and
    The BOW way.

I. The PACKS way:

Name:  packs.png
Views: 1637
Size:  1.85 MB

In this method, the rogue begins by dropping her packs. What you want to do here is run forward, delaying shield as much as you can - that is, as soon as the rogue drops the packs, pop it. This makes whatever she hits you with null and void.

Then follow the guide.

II. The BOW Way:

Name:  bow.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  147.6 KB

In this method, the rogue begins with a charged bow. Now, you must pop your shield as soon as the rogue gets near enough for her bow to hit you - shorter than aimed shot's distance; it'll take practice to recognize the distance changes. Then follow the guide.

It is imperative to NOT delay shield, because a rogue's charged bow stuns and those with fast fingers follow up with an aimed and nox combo - instant death.

As you can see, both methods vary in looks, so its pretty easy to know when to use what.

Always let the rogue charge her skills first.

Below's a video showing how to use this tactic in a fight.

I'm sorry about the bad quality! I have a bad screen recording software.

2. Outdamaging the Damage Class
    The title here is very relevant, because in this build you're going to make most of the rogue's weaknesses in a special build below.

The gear and stats remain same as above, although pets differ...

I. Pets:
    i. Shadowlurk: The optimum pet for this build. 20% damage and 20% crit? Puh-leez. Them roguesies don't stand a chance.
    ii. Grimm: Its my second choice in this; the debuffs on AA make finishing the rogue off easy.
    iii. Ribbit
    iv. Colton

'Nuff said. On to the skills...

II. The Skills
    The build you're going to use here is:

Fireball: 4/5, except Scorch
    Ice: As in the previous guide, whatever works for you. I choose the original upgrade, Shiver and Jagged Ice.
    Lightning: 3/5, except Electrical Discharge and Shock.
    Shield: 4/5, except knockback.

Passives:
    INT: 5/5
    STR: 5/5
    DEX: 5/5
    Now, if you're using Shadowlurk, get crit passive. Ribbit? Damage passive.

On to the battle!

II. The Fight
    As before, you need to watch the way the rogue starts. If she starts with packs, you're going to go this way:
    Shadowlurk: Use shadow's AA, charge FB, while the rogue's stunned, charge lightning, tap ice, shield, follow up with fire-ice-light combos.
    Grimm: Charge FB, lightning, ice, shield, follow up with combos.
    For Ribbit and Colton, do the same as Shadowlurk.

If the rogue starts with bow, do the same except while starting with shield.

3. Bomb Disposal
    This section shows ya how to fight those out-of-the-box rogues with Veil.

First thing I thought of when I first fought my first veil rogue (Zeus) I thought, "Okay, so curse will suck here." Reason? Veil raises a rogue's stats by 20% armor and 15% damage - curse's debuffs will not be much use here. #2, rogues with veil typically use AS, sp, veil, packs. No nox = no crippling a rogue by making it use 2 skills alone.

Finally I came up with this build:

I. The Skills:
    Ice: original upgrade, Shiver and Jagged Ice.
    Lightning:3/5, except Electrical Discharge and Shock.
    Shield: 4/5, except knockback.
    Lifegiver: 2/5, original upgrade and mana (though you don't need to get the mana upgrade for this 1v1, you WILL need it in clashes. Don't use this upgrade if you're using this build just for this 1v1, though.

Passives:
    INT: 5/5
    DEX: 5/5
    STR: 5/5
    DMG: 5/5

II. Pets
    Pets you use here are Grimm, Slag, Malison, perhaps Shadowlurk and Ribbit - though I don't recommend it, especially with 2 attack skills.

Onto the battle.

III. The Battle
    Good thing about this build is the rogue'll have to use both veil and packs, giving you time to begin with ice and lightning. Playing this is relatively simple; you stay out of the veil no matter what, and spam ice and lightning. One handy trick is to use Grimm's AA just before an ice-lightning combo; the veil's effects are reduced for a short time. Keep in mind Grimm's passive procs pretty frequently, and is an added bonus.
    Whenever possible, try and lure the rogue outside her veil and bombard her.
    Heal at 30-40%. That's it You either win this, or lose this. Its a bit tricky.

Key to mastering the above guides is timing, skill and practice, practice and more practice. Know your skill's range. Know your stun time. Adapt to your opponent's moves.

That brings us to the end of this lil guide.

Hope y'all can now kill those pesky snipers! With this guide, even non-mythic mages can easily challenge mythic rogues - I have killed several using this method.
    Last edited by Alhuntrazeck; 06-10-2014 at 05:45 AM.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Alhuntrazeck For This Useful Post:

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

Useful guide if I was at endgame..
    Good job though!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Got totally different builds and I can kill some decent rogues
    PINK STAFF USER

Robhawk

One of my 1on1 Rogue strats:

Charged Fireball (Rogue stunned) -> hit Coltons arcane (+15% crit) -> light -> ice -> shield -> light, ice, fire -> normally rogue is toast.

The important thing here is: U need to deal a lot of damage and crit! So with Colton i do around 500dmg with 31% crit on its arcane. If you dont have myth weapon u shouldnt try this.
    Last edited by Robhawk; 12-02-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Why would u want to stun a rogue that's under curse?

Robhawk

Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post
    If u reply to me: Have a deeper look, there is no curse involved!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

This build is OP. My non-mythic, Lv. 29 mage with Lv. 26 gear just beat a full mythic, Lv. 31 rogue at 1v1. Impressive.

But I use Lifegiver as a fifth skill, and at beginning of 1v1, charge/activate shield, switch shield and Lifegiver, and then start battle. That gives you an extra boost.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

It's optional. But its always nice to have a failsafe in case you're fighting a rogue who knows how to fight curse
    Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    This build is OP. My non-mythic, Lv. 29 mage with Lv. 26 gear just beat a full mythic, Lv. 31 rogue at 1v1. Impressive.

But I use Lifegiver as a fifth skill, and at beginning of 1v1, charge/activate shield, switch shield and Lifegiver, and then start battle. That gives you an extra boost.
    Nice one! Didn't think of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robhawk View Post
    If u reply to me: Have a deeper look, there is no curse involved!
    it was in response to the OP. I would think you would want a rogue under curse to attack you so they can damage/kill themselves. It seems odd to cast curse then stun the rogue as you are losing seconds they could be attacking you. I don't play mage much and am trying to understand this tactic.

Robhawk

it was in response to the OP. I would think you would want a rogue under curse to attack you so they can damage/kill themselves. It seems odd to cast curse then stun the rogue as you are losing seconds they could be attacking you. I don't play mage much and am trying to understand this tactic.
    U r right... it makes no sense tu stun a rogue and curse her before the stun.

BUT: Charged Fireball (Rogue stunned) hit Colton arcane (+15% crit) -> light -> ice -> Rogue`s movin again... If you can hear a charge or u r sure rogue just attacks hit Curse -> dead. The good rogues wont die, the avarage ones for sure.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Robhawk For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

Hmm.slag seems able to void most of the tactics above ;p

Nevertheless a great guide.
    semi-retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manoftimes View Post
    pfft mages can only beat rogues in their dreams !! rogues rule !!
    u have not met or fought a good mage. ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

In my opinion if you want to kill rogues fast the best combo is fire,ice,light,shield. The thing I don't like about curse is it works counter to stun and panic. And has a very long cool down. And if you think about the entire dynamic of the fight, the longer it goes to more vulnerable the mage is. So if you are holding off using curse until stun is over from a damage perspective, you maybe doing less damage. Though I have tested curse 1v1 against a rogue and it is effective. I just feel fire,ice,light is more effective. Because it puts the rogue entirely on the defensive which is a position they are not used to. And they will immediately go for their packs. The key is to slow or stop the rogue getting to their packs. With fire,light,ice you have range so you don't need to get close to the rogue so if they use pierce against you, it takes them away from their packs. Which makes stuns or slow down more effective. For me 1v1 is like chess, both sides have their opening moves. As a mage you have to decide do you want to charge shield or charge fireball. Rogue's usual first move is dropping their health packs. Usually the safest course of action is to go in with charged shield. Which is followed by charged fireball to stun them, and then lightning, followed by ice. Then move in with your pet to try to stun them with panic. If panic works its pretty much game over. If panic doesn't work then continue to fireball/ice but I go for charged lightning and if I get lucky with a crit its pretty much game over. However it depends on how many packs they get to. If they get to all 3 packs its very hard to kill a rogue. Because if they pick up all 3 packs it heals them 100%. So its like you have to kill them twice to kill them once.

I think curse is a better tool in a 5v5 fight. Because it has an AOE is 6m. So its better for CTF in my opinion. In TDM its kind of questionable how effective it is. I know some rogues like to use charged pierce to get away from me in TDM. But this is where ice comes in handy because once they pierce I have the range with ice. And once it hits them they aren't moving very fast and they are usually not near their health packs. But ultimately it comes down to playing style and I think if it works for you then use it. I have never been that good with curse so I rely on putting out as much damage as I can.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Curse is cool, but i met a twink mage yesterday with curse light heal and shield but was str build. 70 less dmg with same gear and better pet as well. i LOST. his stats were 3100 hp 120 dmg (with colton) mine 2200 hp 192 dmg (1/2 gemmed btw). both had curse at that moment but because of this match i respecced. i prefer all out force. oh yeah we were both 23 :tougue:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

A rogue can get out of the curse easily, with charging his sp. Then he will throw down his packs and wait till the mage will come to him.. Without the fireball stun it's game over for the smurf
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    .................................................. ................................Sig made by BeelzzeBob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

I agree, but if I have a pet with stun or panic that I want to incorporate into this build I wait until curse is over/neutralized and then I stun/panic them. This can add little but more time to finish them off.

So my basic attack rotation with a panic pet: charged shield, rush rogue while charging curse, release curse when next to rogue, then unleash hell (light, frost, regular attacks, light frost, regular attacks, etc.) until curse runs out, then slag/Clyde panic, followed by more light, frost and regular attacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Desperoto View Post
    A rogue can get out of the curse easily, with charging his sp. Then he will throw down his packs and wait till the mage will come to him.. Without the fireball stun it's game over for the smurf
    Not necessarily...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Desperoto View Post
    Not quite.the best offense is to cancel their move so you got the edge of one step ahead
    semi-retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manoftimes View Post
    pfft mages can only beat rogues in their dreams !! rogues rule !!
    oh really!!! i dare you to do some 1v1 on my twink toon (zwapper) and let see if you can back up your post in real fight!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

trying few tactics... in group .. curse is more useful, 1v1 or 1v2 usually FB / Light / Ice does the trick most time.

I am wondering if is worth to charge curse... it takes time by the time you charge in a battle u already dead ..
    Last edited by will0; 12-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.